Start by marking “Prayers by the Lake (A Treasury of Serbian Orthodox Spirituality, #5)” as Want to Read:
Prayers by the Lake (A Treasury of Serbian Orthodox Spirituality, #5)

Prayers by the Lake (A Treasury of Serbian Orthodox Spirituality, #5)

One hundred poetic prayers composed by one of the most prolific writers of the Serbian Orthodox Church.
Published 1999 by The Serbian Orthodox Metropolitanate of New Gracanica (first published 1989)

To ask other readers questions about Prayers by the Lake, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Prayers by the Lake

Start your review of Prayers by the Lake (A Treasury of Serbian Orthodox Spirituality, #5)
StefanP
Mar 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
description

Šta kad bi se sunce ugledalo na vas, susjedi moji? Kako bi malo svjetlosti slalo na zemlju, o vi tvrdice. Kako bi krvava bila njegova svjetlost, o vi krvnici. Kako bi pozelenilo gledajući veća sunca od sebe, o vi zavidljivci. Kako bi pocvrenilo slušajući hule odozdo, o vi gnjevljivci. Kako bi požutilo od žudnje za lijepotom zvijezda, o vi pohotljivci. Kako bi poblijedilo od straha, da mu neko ne zagradi put, o vi strašljivci. Kako bi potamnilo od brige, o vi brižni mnogobrižni. Kako bi se nabora
Holy Cross
Mar 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
We are glad you are enjoying this wonderful book. We are the monks (of Holy Cross Monastery) who translated it into English.
Ryan Platte
Feb 23, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone seeking Christ
This is a treasure, one of my favorite books ever. The truth of the ancient Christian faith, up to the minute from a recently glorified saint. St. Nikolai is wise to all manner of modern topics and drops them directly, effortlessly into the context of the ancient church and points directly to true north.

My words fail. St. Nikolai's inspired words succeed in pointing us to God in profound ways.
Daniel Fox
Mar 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A beautiful and intensely insightful book, encouraging the looking at oneself through the lens of ones surroundings. A tool for deep contemplations. Organic, and inspiring. Externalizing self, so that self can be re-written by the grace of Christ, and the inner workings of the Holy Spirit. A vast treasure.
Sonja Milovic
Feb 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"Before all creatures, and before all time and sorrow. You, O Lord, formed man in Your heart. You conceived of man first, even though You manifested him last in the rosaries of creation—even as a gardener thinks about the blooming of a rose all the time he is digging and planting the dry rose stems -even as a builder experiences the joy of the domes while planning a church, even though he builds them last."....

This is just one verse of many more in this beautiful treasury of prayers by St Nikola
Jason
Dec 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a collection of one hundred prayers written by St Nikolaj from when he was serving as Bishop of Ohrid in Macedonia, with the Serbian Orthodox Church. This book was first published in 1922, and the prayers speak to the modern world. The Lake in the title is Lake Ohrid.

St. John Maximovitch called St Nikolaj a modern day Chrysostom (for my non-Orthdox friends, St John Chrysostom is a 4th Century saint known for his eloquence, the power and beauty and truth of his words).

The prayers here a
Anam Cara
Nov 03, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: orthodox
I had planned to read a bit each day, but found some of it hard going. I found it especially difficult when he would make Islamic references or talk about Buddha. Those might have been fine, but they just didn't sit well with me.

But the jewels that were in the book were priceless! I read this book with a pencil in hand. I couldn't underline the things that touched me because so much of the book would be underlined. Instead, I would just pencil a line down the margin of the section that I found s
Justin
Apr 09, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
There is some self deprecation here (how dirty the earth/author is) but other than that the writing is beautiful (though it is not a book for me)
Knjiškimoljac
Feb 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Knjiga nad knjigama!
Corinne
Mar 23, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Perfect reading for Lent
Volkert
I acquired my copy of "Prayers by the Lake" many years ago, with the intent of reading a chapter each evening before retiring. During the course of several moves, the book was set aside, and only recently did I resume reading it, nearly every evening, until it was completed.

I would call this collection of 100 readings, written at Lake Ohrid in 1921-1922, more than "prayers." They are sublime poetry, and quite often prophetic in nature. I won't pretend to understand even half of what I devoured,
Matija

• Ecce Homo
  • Crippled America: How to Make America Great Again
  • 30 Bangs
  • Inner Gold: Understanding Psychological Projection
  • The Art of Living: The Classical Manual on Virtue, Happiness and Effectiveness
  • Owning Your Own Shadow: Understanding the Dark Side of the Psyche
  • On the Shortness of Life
  • The Double
  • Poor Folk
  • A Sorrow Beyond Dreams
  • Mythologies
  • Jelena 93
  • Mali princ
Sveti vladika Nikolaj Ohridski i Žički (svetovno Nikola Velimirović; selo Lelić kod Valjeva, Kneževina Srbija, 23. decembar 1880/4. januar 1881 — Libertivil, SAD, 18. mart 1956) bio je episkop ohridski i žički, istaknuti teolog i govornik, otuda je nazivan Novi Zlatousti. Nikolaj Velimirović je novokanonizovani srpski svetitelj.

Njegovo rođeno ime je Nikola. U mladosti je teško oboleo od dizenterij