Start by marking “Slice of Organic Life” as Want to Read:
Slice of Organic Life

Slice of Organic Life

Featuring over 80 self-contained projects, from growing your own food organically, cooking home-grown produce, keeping selected livestock, and leading a more sustainable lifestyle, this down-to-earth, yet practical guide is the perfect start for someone looking to go “green.” Features more than 80 self-contained projects Offers urban, suburban, and rural projects Concerned ...more
Published June 4th 2007 by DK

To ask other readers questions about Slice of Organic Life, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Slice of Organic Life

Start your review of Slice of Organic Life
Brown Catherine
Apr 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
It took me over a year to finish this book, but that’s just because I read too many things at a time anyway.

Great book, full of good advice and inspiration to people who want to live autonomously. I personally don’t feel up to raising and slaughtering pigs, but a lot of the stuff on there is easily doable. A sort of Laura Ingalls Bible to me!

Katie
Feb 13, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: nonficiton
I can't recall what triggered this, but my newest "obsession" is to turn my backyard into a kind of homestead. Thus, I placed every book about gardening/organic living on hold at the library.

After reading this book, I find myself daydreaming about how the pet pig could be kept over here, the chickens in that corner of the yard, the pond under the grape arbor, the bee house-thingy over next to the apple orchard, and on and on. This is not actually going to happen (obviously), but reading this
Cara St.Hilaire
Dec 16, 2009 rated it really liked it
This is not your soup to nuts "organic living 101" by any means. It is merely an inspiration for you or for someone that likes being green (as everyone should these days!). I received this book as a gift and I ended up buying it for someone else as a gift because it gave me ideas. The gorgeous pictures paired with bite-sized ideas made me happy and I knew it would make someone else happy as well.

There are tips inside for anyone regardless of where you live. Some of the things will seem far out
Megan
Jul 11, 2008 rated it really liked it
At first I was disappointed by this book because I thought it was going to have more narrative to it--more non-fiction informational writing. It's more like an art-heavy how-to book full of little projects for living an organic life. My other mistake was getting it at the library. If you want this book to be helpful, you need to buy it. There are other books to read that explain why these projects are better for the world (i.e., why you should plant a garden. etc,), but if you are already ...more
Sandy
Dec 18, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: anyone looking for a better life.
At first glance one might see this book as nothing more than a coffee table book with it's many glossy pictures. Happily the text is worth the read and wonderfully full of easy to use/do ways of giving your life a fresh feel. Again and again one hears the voice of experience in the many suggestions. So much information so beautifully presented makes this book a keeper.
Nina Mcdaniel
Aug 29, 2011 rated it it was ok
Organized in the most bizarre way. One page on foraging for wild greens, then one on natural skin care, then one on how to keep chickens. ??? It's basically a fun, thick magazine. None of the topics go in-depth and I would fear for any chickens that were purchased with the intent use this book as a manual. ;)
Tracy
Nov 06, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a beautiful book with full color photos throughout. I got many interesting ideas from it, but the book does tend to gloss over details. It mostly introduces topics and then if you want to do them, you would have to research the topics elsewhere.
Meredith
Jul 23, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: the sustainability-conscious
Shelves: natural-world
This book is great - it has a little bit about everything! Learn how to grow your own strawberries, collect rainwater, repel mosquitoes, shop for better-tasting veggies, and so on.
Tayisha
Apr 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A really good book, has everything you need in there. Very bright, beautiful appearance. Easy to read and find what you want. :)
Karen
Feb 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I read this book every year. I love it.
Inder
Jan 24, 2008 rated it liked it
I've upped my review to four stars because I've decided there really are some good ideas here. However, what I said before about there being better, more in-depth books on the individual topics addressed in this book holds. Check this out from the library. Still, I can't wait to try oven-dried cherry tomatos, and I think this book clarified that I do NOT want to keep a cow.

__________________________________________________________

I'm dabbling in this for about ten minutes before bed every
Bendte
Mar 29, 2009 rated it liked it
I noticed this book on a shelf at the East Regional Durham library and I just had to check it out. This book is a quick read with lots of beautiful photography. Every 2-4 pages give tips on various topics including gardening, making natural cleaning products, saving energy, growing fruits/veggies in containers, and raising chickens, geese, ducks, and pigs to name a few.

I especially liked the tips on container gardening. Did you know that you can grow strawberries or cherry tomatoes in hanging
Isabella
e more mindful of the planet, the available resources and things as a whole to be done to change, this book enters.

The ideas presented are simple, almost like 'Why haven't I been doing this already?' and 'Why didn't I think of this?'.

There's ideas for growing your own vegetables, herbs and fruits, instead of buying from a grocery chain, and of course if you buy, try to buy organic & local. Like animals? Why not raise chickens, or milking cows, even goats, which are a source of meat and
Mick
Jul 29, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: farming, highly-rated
A lovely book with nice pictures about various things you can do to live more sustainably, from raising a chicken to growing greens in a windowbox. Obviously, not every idea is for everyone, but I did get some inspiration from it, and since it only dedicates a page or two to each topic, it gives a very simplified version of how to do what it suggests, making it seem quite manageable. Some topics that I've had interest in before seem so unwieldy, like making my own jam, but this book simplifies ...more
Desiree
Oct 08, 2012 rated it really liked it
Thoroughly enjoyed. Quite practically arranged in sections for those with NO outdoor space to those with plenty and the increasing steps (the little things add up) to achieving some sustainability (even in the city!)

A great reference book I will be hanging onto for the 'someday' when I have a yard and the now when I want to start microgreens at the very least.

A few things could have been more clearly explained; perhaps any lack of clarity was due to the fact that this was originally written for
K.M.
Jul 04, 2011 rated it liked it
This book is lovely, with beautiful pictures throughout. It says a little about a lot of different topics, so is a good introduction if you are considering trying to live a more self-sufficient life. There are chapters about beginning raising chickens, goats, and other animals. There are chapters about gardening, making your own baby foods, and so forth. There are also some recipes included (bread, jam). It's a little too basic for anyone who has already been engaged in these activities though, ...more
Cherie
Nov 11, 2007 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: environmentalists, those who want to change their lives but don't know it yet
Shelves: non-fiction
B I enjoyed this book immensely, although so much of it was geared towards people with lots of land, lots of time, and yes, some money. Some good recipes, great tips, how-tos (such as how to compost, how to grow herbs). As I live in an apartment with only a fire escape for outdoor growing (and I'm pretty sure all the herbs and flowers I have out there are some sort of fire code violation!) so a lot of this book was not applicable towards me. Still, it is a great start, especially for those who ...more
Diane Chaniewski
Aug 30, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, fall-13
On my recent life-quest to eat all non GMO foods, I found this at the library. It's a beautiful book, with great font-type/size and pictures, however some ideas are way far-fetched for the average reader. (and the author states that in the introduction) I personally am not going to keep a flock of ducks, plant and sow by the moon, create a wildlife pond, or raise some pigs, but those who want to, here's your guide! :-)

I'm more along the lines of: cleaning without chemicals, drying my own herbs,
Dara
Nov 28, 2010 rated it did not like it
Shelves: nonfiction
The idea of this book is to give lots of ideas, no matter your living arrangements, for ways to make your life more "organic," broadly defined. I would say about half of these ideas are either "plant X" or "raise X animal." Animals the book suggests you raise: chickens, geese, ducks, pigs, goats, cows. W. T. F. Also, one suggestion is to "forage for fungi" (aka wild mushrooms). I'm all for this, but only with proper education, since unlike raising ducks, messing up while foraging for mushrooms ...more
Freda Mans-Labianca
This batter made one dozen muffins, and a day later there is none left. The best part is, they are all natural. Not a drop of sugar! They taste sooooooo good too!
I think this is the best muffin recipe ever, and has the parts to be adapted for any fruit, so if you hate the flavors I used, you can do what you like. The recipe I used was actually Blueberry Muffins, but I adapted it to what I wanted.
Definitely a take home cookbook for any one of today. We all need to learn to eat and live better,
Rosemary
Dec 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
Beautifully laid out coffee table book with plentiful colour photographs. In the edition I read, the foreword is by Stephanie Alexander, a highly regarded Australian local food advocate.

The sections are bite-sized but informative. I was unaware that in the UK 250 million/yr is spent on extracting pesticides from water supplies - I wonder how much in Australia?

This would be a nice book to flick through in winter.
May 20, 2008 rated it it was ok
While the concept of this book is nice, and the pictures are pretty, they oversimplify far too much. I suppose the title suggests this--it's only a "slice" after all--but the book is not really useful because its scope is so large. Please read separate books about bee keeping or preserving food or setting up a solar powered water heater. Not everything is as simple or easy to do as this book suggests.
Shannon
Mar 24, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: someone looking to become more knowledgeable very quickly about organic living
This was great for those who are just starting to look into an organic lifestyle to those who are ready to take the plunge and grow their own chickens. While I'm not likely to forage for fungi any time soon, I may grow strawberries in a hanging pot, a tip I learned.

Lots of pictures, easy instructions, don't have to read cover to cover.
Lisa
Jan 23, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
After reading Animal, Vegetable, Miracle it made me want to plant a vegetable garden and have a chicken roaming around my backyard! This wonderful book has all sorts of wonderful ideas from growing a 4x4 ft. mini garden full of different veggies to raising hens & even geese & pigs. I couldn't go that far, but interesting food for thought!
Carol
Apr 09, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This is a gorgeous book, full page pictures plants, receipes, advice on how to be a responsible gardener. I curl up with it whenever I want to dream of a beautiful garden. Any gardener who wants to enjoy gardening more needs to read and enjoy this book. This is one to buy so you pick off the shelf and enjoy whenever you want.
Elizabeth
Jan 31, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Beautiful photos and a good overview of various activities such as gardening, natural personal care &cleaning. Could use more depth of details particulary in topics of natural care. Would have also like to see more coverage about reducing wasting and making time to unplug and experience life/ nature.
Brandie
Oct 19, 2012 rated it really liked it
I LOVE this book. So much, I have added it to the list of books that I want to buy and own and have at my house. She has simple ideas to more complicated, ideas for small spaces and large spaces, tips on growing things, making your own cleaning products, recipes ... so many fabulous things. This would be a great book for ANYONE I think. I highly recommend it!
Chade66
This is a great book for someone thinking about having a garden or a small flock of chickens. My only issue is that most of the recipes have a weird mix of weighing ingredients vs measuring them. I wish the author had chosen one method or the other. I don't use a scale in my kitchen, I prefer my measuring cups.
Erica
Oct 24, 2008 rated it it was ok
The organization was bizarre, having full chapters between raising all the different fowls, randomly having "how to grow sweet peas" in the middle of the book and dispersing advice on how the grow plants with cleaning materials with taking care of babies. Random. Also, I wished that the information had been more in-depth.

Maybe a good book for beginners, but I felt like I knew it all already.
Tama
Mar 27, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pick your favorite pig and get going.. Ok--outside of the animal selections there's some good stuff here for everyone. If you don't want to make a "simple" goat's cheese just check out the easy stuff like keeping urban honeybees. Ok-so it's a bit over the top for most-- but, hey-a girl can dream, can't she?
« previous 1 3 next »

• Past Due for Murder (Blue Ridge Library Mysteries #3)
  • A Murder for the Books (Blue Ridge Library Mysteries #1)
  • Shelved Under Murder (Blue Ridge Library Mysteries #2)
  • Yoga Girl
  • This Organic Life: Confessions of a Suburban Homesteader
  • Farewell, My Subaru: An Epic Adventure in Local Living
  • Unprocessed: My City-Dwelling Year of Reclaiming Real Food
  • The New Farm: Our Ten Years on the Front Lines of the Good Food Revolution
  • Pocketful Of Pinecones: Nature Study With The Gentle Art Of Learning:  A Story For Mother Culture