Start by marking “The Invitation (The Books of Magic, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Invitation (The Books of Magic, #1)

The Invitation

(The Books of Magic Novels #1)

Do you believe in magic? Timothy Hunter is just like any other thirteen-year-old boy in London . . . except for the tiny fact that he might be the most powerful magician of his time.

When four strangers offer to show Tim the realms of magic, he begins a journey beyond imagination. Wizards pursue him, danger threatens at every turn, and he discovers powerful forces that want
Published May 13th 2003 by HarperCollins Eos (first published May 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about The Invitation, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Invitation

Start your review of The Invitation (The Books of Magic, #1)
Fugo Feedback
Sep 26, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Gaimanistas, nenes y magistas.
Recommended to Fugo by: Val.
Aceptable adaptación novelada de la miniserie de comic escrita por Neil Gaiman y dibujada por verdaderos talentos del noveno arte. Claro que todo lo que aporta los espectaculares dibujos en el comic no lo llega a verse compensado literariamente con la eficiente pero lineal prosa de Jablonski. También quita puntos que no aparezcan varios de los personajes del Universo DC que estaban originalmente en el comic (por problemas de derechos, supongo) y que se infantilicen un par de escenas para no alte ...more
Kandice
Apr 27, 2019 rated it it was ok
I didn't love this. I admit to only buying this series because Gaiman penned them, but then I was thrilled when I realized that this seemed a bit like Gaiman's spin on Harry Potter. His spin was... a little boring.

I've purchased the first four and will probably read them all because despite being a bit boring, this was a very quick read. It is clearly meant for a younger audience, and let's be honest, that may be the real problem here. Harry Potter is also meant for a younger audience, but adult
Fernando J.
Los libros de magia: La invitación. Es la adaptación novelada de la novela gráfica de #NeilGaiman y #JohnBolton que narra el reclutamiento, por parte de la Brigada de las Gabardinas, del joven Tim Hunter, de 13 años, al mundo de la magia.
La historia nos transporta al pasado, dimensiones paralelas y al intrigante futuro para conocer los rastros que la magia tiene en toda la historia. Hasta que al final se le da la libertad al protagonista de elegir.
🗣Opinión Personal: había leído la novela gráfica
James Biser
Jun 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2020
This is the first volume in a collection of graphic novels where a young man name Timothy Hunter is discovered by a group of magicians, including John Constantine, the blind Mister E., and Doctor Occult. Timothy must decide whether he will pursue magic or ignore it in his life. He has the potential to become very powerful either for good or evil.
Angela
Jan 22, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Tratto dal fumetto omonimo, sinceramente lo trovo molto al di sopra di Harry Potter. Peccato abbiano tradotto in italiano solo il primo libro 😢
Anthony
I wanted to love this. I really did. I am a huge Tim Hunter fan from when the original BoM mini-series was released by DC/Vertigo back in 1989, and I've followed most every iteration of the character since then. I love Harry Potter, but Tim will always be closer to my heart because I met him first. Somehow, this series of paperback adaptations of the Neil Gaiman, and then John Ney Rieber, comics made it past me when they originally came out. I tripped across this one in a used bookstore. I was e ...more
Aelvana
Oct 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
Thirteen-year-old Tim is out one day on his skateboard when four strangers in trenchcoats come up to him and ask if he believes in magic. Tim agrees to a tour, of sorts, that takes him from the beginning of the world to its end, from the slums of London to the clubs of California to the court of Faerie. But Tim's not alone on this tour: he's got a much stronger magic than he knows, and even if he doesn't know who he is yet, others do.

This book is the first of the series, and reads like an introd
Karen Field
Apr 28, 2012 rated it liked it
This story was apparently a novelised version of a former comic written by Neil Gaiman. I’ve never read (or even heard of) the comic so whether it does it justice or not, I have no idea.

I’ve also read other reviews on this book, which say this book is very Harry Potterish. In my opinion, the two books are totally different. I never once thought of Harry Potter whilst reading this book. Yes, there’s a young, dark-haired boy in both books, but that’s were the resemblance ends.

But I did think of o
Tiffany Spencer
Jan 08, 2018 rated it liked it
The Invitation
PLOT: Basically the plot is Tim gets a visit from 4 magician’s: The Stanger, Dr.Occult, John Constantine, and Mister E, who led him on a journey and introduce him to magic (past, present, and future) Kind of like the Ghost of Christmas. Then give him a choice whether he wants to accept magic.

MY THOUGHTS
As I was looking on a site called Rock Play I ran across a title that looked intriguing. Initially, it struck me as VERY (very) similar to Harry Potter. We have a young boy, with d
Juan M
Oct 21, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: infantiles
En este primer libro se nos presenta al protagonista de la saga, un niño inglés, Tim Hunter, que no gusta de su vida, pero no sabe que el destino le dará una sorpresa: él podría llegar a ser un mago muy poderoso. (Sin duda muchos buscarán semejanzas con el joven Harry Potter, ya desde ver las portadas, pero se sorprenderán al saber que los cómics fueron escritos varios años antes que Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone).
Y es así que se nos presenta la Magia en el mundo actual, actuando siempr
Jessica
Mar 01, 2012 rated it liked it
So apparently this book originally was published as a comic book written by Neil Gaiman, then recently got "literized" and was written as a novel. I didn't realize this was the case until I read the forward. I picked up this one on a whim because I was in the mood for something a bit creepy and Gaiman definitely can deliver that. And as I started in on the book, I could totally see how this book would have made a good comic book. All of the characters would be visually appealing.
The story was a
Tatra
Jun 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
The first time I read this book I really didn't have any idea about the world of comics. The characters were just characters that appear in the course of a book and they were all just as fresh to me as Tim Hunter was. That was several years ago and I've learned just a little bit more about the word of comics. Not a whole lot, but enough that I recognize some of these names. I also find it fun that I can now see Neil Gaiman in these books, where I don't think I saw him before.

Beyond that, I liked
Ethan Bridges
Apr 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-i-own
I first read this back in the seventh grade. It is very similar to Harry Potter, given the fact that the protagonist wears glasses and has scruffy hair. I only recently discovered that it was a Neil Gaiman creation, and it was his story idea for a new graphic novel series. I picked up the graphic novel and was amazed by the shear exactness between the written novel and the graphic one. This is one of the series that I would love to get back into or when I have children of my own to read this pro ...more
Sapphire Pyro
Sep 13, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: series-teen
This novel didn’t feel like an adventure, but more of a tour. Tim was just dragged to random places by several strangers. He gets excited on the sightseeing, exhausted on the travels, and gets into trouble when he’s separated from his tour guide.

~ Longer version
Owlboyle
Mar 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is the novel form of Neil Gaiman's graphic novel. It is a wonderful tale of mystery and magic; about growing up and making choices. It is also about the consequences of those choices. The Trenchcoat Bridgade takes Timothy Hunter on a wild adventure through time, space, and magic worlds. I can't wait to finish book 2. ...more
Astrid Terese
En mesterlige penn vekker til live en magisk univers og med dyktige tegnere ved sin side blir dette en fantastisk tegneserie!
Hele min omtale finner du på bloggen min Betraktninger
Jesús Nieto Urbina
El libro es bueno, realmente entretenido y de fácil lectura. Algunos personajes secundarios logran atraer la atención, una lástima que no se les haya dedicado más espacio para desarrollar los mismos. Buena adaptación de los comics de Neil Gaiman.
Brittany Perry
Apr 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
read it so long ago. I loved the vocabulary used in this book. I really need to re-order them
Camicita
Dec 20, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
2.5*
Kika
Aug 12, 2013 rated it liked it
No keď už to bolo na motívy komixu Neila Gaimana mohlo to byť aj lepšie. Čakala som fakt viac, nevedela som sa dočkať konca. Ako bolo to fajn, ale čítanie ďalších častí si ešte rozmyslím.
Heather
Jan 08, 2008 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: any fan of the Potter books
These parallel the Potter books in a major way. The differences are enough that it is a very good book, though. It's a very quick read and only takes about two hours to read this book through. ...more
Brittney Bower
Jan 14, 2014 rated it did not like it
was not able to finish this book. was even able to read the 50% mark before I lost all interest in it abd the series.
Hanna
Mar 24, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics, fantasy
Wow! best stuff ever. very Harry Potter like, then again Neil and Rowling are both from England. Maybe Great writing comes naturally there.
Athena
Feb 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: to-reread, favorites
Loved it want read rest of series
Dan4th
Feb 05, 2011 rated it did not like it
Novelization of the comic, which I've never read. I'm assuming it didn't translate well, because I'm a huge fan of Gaiman, and didn't like it at all. ...more
Santos Valter
Marilyn M
Jul 02, 2013
Amy
Jul 15, 2012

• The Trouble with Peace (The Age of Madness, #2)
  • Look Me in the Eye: My Life with Asperger's
  • The Long Dark Tea-Time of the Soul (Dirk Gently, #2)
  • The Pilgrim's Regress
  • Lord of the Fading Lands (Tairen Soul, #1)
  • Minecraft: The Island (Official Minecraft Novels, #1)
  • Hounded (The Iron Druid Chronicles, #1)
  • Factotum
  • Sh*t My Dad Says
  • A Little Hatred (The Age of Madness, #1)
  • Keeping It Real (Quantum Gravity #1)
  • Mr Blank (Fill in the Blank, #1)
  • The Hanging Tree (Rivers of London, #6)
  • Foxglove Summer (Rivers of London, #5)
  • Batman: Three Jokers #1
  • Broken Homes (Rivers of London, #4)
  • Teen Titans: Raven
  • Seven to Eternity, Vol. 1: The God of Whispers
Carla Jablonski is the author and editor of dozens of best-selling books for teenage and middle-grade readers. She grew up in New York City, where she attended public schools and the Bronx High School of Science. She has a BA in anthropology from Vassar College and an MA from NYU's Gallatin School, an interdisciplinary program for which she combined playwriting, the history of gender issues in 19t ...more

The Books of Magic Novels (6 books)
  • Bindings (The Books of Magic, #2)
  • The Children's Crusade (The Books of Magic, #3)
  • Consequences (The Books of Magic, #4)
  • Lost Places (The Books of Magic, #5)
  • Reckonings (The Books of Magic, #6)