Start by marking “The World Is Blue: How Our Fate and the Ocean's Are One” as Want to Read:
The World Is Blue: How Our Fate and the Ocean's Are One

The World Is Blue: How Our Fate and the Ocean's Are One

A Silent Spring for our era, this eloquent, urgent, fascinating book reveals how just 50 years of swift and dangerous oceanic change threatens the very existence of life on Earth. Legendary marine scientist Sylvia Earle portrays a planet teetering on the brink of irreversible environmental crisis.

In recent decades we’ve learned more about the ocean than in all previous hum
Published September 29th 2009 by National Geographic (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The World Is Blue, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The World Is Blue

Start your review of The World Is Blue: How Our Fate and the Ocean's Are One
Deborah Ideiosepius
In The World is Blue, Sylvia Earle draws upon her formidable experience of marine exploration to describe the vital role oceans play in the life support system that is the earth. Sylvia has had the most amazing life: Explorer-in-residence for the National Geographical Society, Recipient of the TED prize, marine biologist since the 60's and with an amazing list of submersible deep sea dives, she has a wealth of knowledge and experience that she brings to this book.

This is, I believe, one of the m
Christina
Jul 27, 2014 rated it liked it
I almost feel bad not giving it 5 stars as I am a marine scientist myself, and I have grown up loving Earle and all the work she has done for ocean conservation. But I'd rather recommend watching her documentary "Mission Blue". It's pretty much the exact same thing as this book, but a little more engaging as you get to see with your own eyes what's really going on.
This book is still good for everybody to read, although it does get a bit dry and slow at times. She covers a lot, A LOT, of crucial
Cynda
A good place to start to develop a basic vocabulary and to learn about some organizations that describe and protect oceans and oceanlife.
Experience Life
May 19, 2010 rated it it was amazing
No matter how far inland we live, a single kind of blue-green algae in the ocean (Prochlorococcus) produces the oxygen in one of every five breaths we take. The World Is Blue: How Our Fate and the Ocean’s Are One is full of similar facts, illustrating the oceans’ critical importance to human survival and making their protection a very personal matter indeed.

Author Sylvia Earle is one of the world’s most renowned marine scientists, and her efforts to make ocean health personal are provoked by the
Robin Tierney
Jun 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Should be required reading in public schools and college courses, So much insight, so timely, critical and clearly and pleasantly shared by unsurpassed ocean/marine life researcher Sylvia Earle. What's going on, what's nearly gone, what we can do as individuals (consumers) and nations.

Some random notes:
The World is Blue
How Our Fate and the Ocean’s Are One

Sylvia Earle

97% of Earth is oceans. They are the planet’s life-support system.

Plankton produce oxygen

Mariana Trench deepest part of ocean 7 mil
Gordon
Oct 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Sylvia Earle is a familiar figure in the world of oceanography, thanks to her TED talks, National Geographic specials, and countless publications and lectures. Now well into her 70's, she's been at the business of studying the oceans and their denizens for a very long time.

This book is a very wide-ranging survey about what ails the oceans and, to some degree, what we can do about it.

What ails the oceans is pretty clear to those who care to know. It's also a pretty depressing picture, though it
Juliana Philippa
Watched documentary "Mission Blue" (highly recommend!! can stream on Netflix). Can't wait to read this book.
Leo Robertson
May 31, 2018 rated it liked it
Large pockets of intrigue but a bit dry and list-y at times.
Cindy
Aug 05, 2010 rated it really liked it
Sylvia A. Earle is the Rachel Carson of the oceans.

In this book, she shows us what we have done to the state of our oceans and how we can help restore it to what it is supposed to be like. There are admittedly many statistics in this book, but Earle’s wealth of experience over her 40 years of work really add to story - all her anecdotes of diving, manning a submersive explorer for two weeks, her first experiences of seeing the creatures at enormous depths under the ocean are all incredibly pers
Kurt
Dec 19, 2011 rated it liked it
The natural world needs spokespeople to stand up to the interests that have abused it in our modern industrial society. We all contribute to that abuse, some a little bit more than others, but very few people really fight the fight that is needed to make even a little positive contribution. Sylvia Earle is probably the leading and most successful fighter for the health of our planet's oceans. Her book is very eye opening as it describes the importance of the oceans and their ecosystems in sustai ...more
Linda
Mar 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
You’ll never look at a tuna roll the same way after reading Sylvia Earle’s The World Is Blue: How Our Fate and the Ocean’s Are One. This book gave me a fresh perspective of how Earth’s oceans make life on this planet possible for humans and every other living thing.

The Bottom Line

Earle’s love of oceans and ocean creatures is evident on every page. Her writing style is easy to read and understand. Problems, issues, and solutions are presented in a straight forward manner.

It was shocking to realiz
Andrew Blok
Oct 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
If you want to read a straightforward, accessible, and informative run down of the ways we've run down the ocean's integrity, populations of wildlife, and, most alarmingly, its ability to sustain the world as it has for the duration of this planet's existence, you ought to read this book. With more experience that it seems any one person should have, Sylvia Earle is an authority that's hard to quibble with when it comes to matters of the ocean. In The World is Blue she walks with you through the ...more
Ellen
May 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
I gave this a 4 because I didn't want to hurt its rating; This is a well-written and important book and it deserves to be read. We all deserve to know this information. Society and the planet deserve people that know the information within this book. I'm happy I read it, but I didn't always find it easy to get through. Not just because it makes me so depressed to know how poorly humans treat our home and the creatures that live alongside us, but also because I wasn't always drawn in by the autho ...more
Kelly
Nov 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another inspiring read from one of my scientific heroes

Dr. Earle's "Sea Change" was my introduction to her passionate writings about the oceans. This is another gem to add to her canon. I have to admit, it took me a long time to read, mostly because it's almost a decade old and it's chronicles of environmental damage obviously did not account for all that has come after, such as the Deep water Horizon oil spill in 2010. It also doesn't account for the progress and environmental legacy of the Oba
Crystal
Mar 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The author, Sylvia A. Earle, is a National Geographic Explorer in Residence, and I was fortunate enough to find out about her via a Blue Planet episode and also a course featured on Great Courses Plus. She is fantastic and so very knowledgeable, becoming interested in the ocean and diving at a very young age. I learned so much about the ocean and its relation to our planet and how important it is to preserve it for our survival over the next generation. This book also includes a TED talk she gav ...more
R K
May 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Ok here's the thing. I can't read this book. I am well versed in the plight of the earth's natural resources. I know of all the ways in which different policies are created to let both sides of the conservation issue be resolved. So nothing is this book was surprising me rather it was having the opposite effect. So I think it's better for my mental health if I don't continue with this book.
However, given the issues going on with the science community. Given the state of the earth I rate this bo
Aubrey
Feb 01, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sylvia Earle has the ability to spark a change in how we view this world both on the land and on, in, and under the seas. Her passion for oceanic preservation is contagious and her easy to access (while still being scientific enough to lend credibility) writing style allows the reader to fully engage with and understand her arguments. Once you’ve read this book it will be difficult to drink from a plastic bottle or eat seafood without thinking about the impact your actions have on the ocean and, ...more
Cynthia
Jan 12, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Such a valuable book, especially for those who deny climate change and man’s impact on the earth, but also a tough read because it’s depressing to think of all we have already lost. Nevertheless, Earle offers hope for the future if we all commit to a more sustainable lifestyle - and perhaps stop putting money first - and shows how there are committed people on the front lines researching and showing us how to do better for us and our fellow creatures.
Joseph
Jul 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
excellent book! Learned a ton of new insights on the importance of our oceans. This book, being published in 2009, I am afraid is not up-to-date and more. The world has moved on and I am afraid the situation is worse today than it was 10 years ago. Still, a must-read for everyone concerned about the blue in our dot in the universe.
Magdalena Payne
Mar 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A fantastic book drawing upon Sylvia Earle's extensive experience of marine research and conservancy - she manages to make the furthest reaches of the high seas and ocean depths accessible to the ordinary person. See the blue world through her eyes - despite the current unprecedented destruction of marine populations and habitats she still manages to breathe hope and share a message of change.
Jan
Jul 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Fortunate to meet Sylvia Earle, I could hear her gentle, enlightened voice through each page of this remarkable book. We have so many resources about needing to learn of and care for our environment, and this should be at the top of many people's piles.
Mandi
Aug 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Eye-Opening

“The World Is Blue” is a shocking work with a strong educational purpose aimed toward its readers. Learning about what’s going on in our ocean is a humbling and terrifying thing that instills a need for change within the reader.
Jacqueline
Nov 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favourites
💧Pairs well with: Tall glass of reclaimed, ice water, and grilled tilapia.
🐠If you’re in the mood for: Exploring our oceans, learning of marine wild life, seeking answers to a more sustainable relationship with our planet.
🌏Side effects: You will be more mindful of your footprint, may give up shrimp and other commercially caught fish.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
“No water, no life. No blue, no green.”
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
“In the end, our society will be defined not only by what we create, but by what we refuse to destroy.” - Joh
Joaquín G Alé
Jun 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
An uncomfortable truth everyone should know. We all should have notions on what impact our actions have so we can choose wisely. As Sylvia said " I have to do something, because I know too much".
Paula
Sep 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Took me a while to get through but so worth it
Caity
Sep 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
I love how she not-so-subtly makes fun of humans. That was my favorite part. However, it was a little dry at times, causing me to skim. That is the only reason it is four stars, and not five.
Ethiopian Slave Owner Strommen
Dec 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Very good
Emanuela M
Jan 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
She's what I believe, our only hope for the ocean. I hope she inspires future generations, as well as my own, to continue her legacy. A woman with a beautiful mind and soul.
Tammy Post
Mar 13, 2017 rated it liked it
Good book and well worth reading. A newer, revised edition would be welcome.
Vanessa Crooks
Jan 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I don't know why it took me almost two months to finish this book, my reading habits are getting worse. It's strange because this book was so interesting and consuming.
It's not a particularly light read, it's ladden with numbers and percentages and names of intitutions and organizations, but Sylvia Earle, a modern-day heroine and true champion of nature, does an excellent job of compiling all of the information in a swift and well-structured manner, while telling anecdotes of her start as an oc
« previous 1 3 next »
Bio-Nerds: Marine Protected Areas 1 2 Jun 18, 2014 06:58AM
Bio-Nerds: The World is Blue by Sylvia A. Earle 1 11 Mar 20, 2014 05:14AM

• What a Fish Knows: The Inner Lives of Our Underwater Cousins
  • Snowing in Bali
  • Marine Biology: A Very Short Introduction
  • Saint Mazie
  • Too Many People?: Population, Immigration, and the Environmental Crisis
  • The City We Became (Great Cities #1)
  • Girls of Summer: A Novel
  • The Amber Anthem (5 Worlds, #4)
  • Riot Baby
  • The Dictionary of Lost Words
  • Influenza: The Hundred-Year Hunt to Cure the Deadliest Disease in History
  • Globalization of Poverty and the New World Order
  • عولمة الفقر
Sylvia A. Earle is an American oceanographer, aquanaut, and author.

News & Interviews

“Even if you never have the chance to see or touch the ocean, the ocean touches you with every breath you take, every drop of water you drink, every bite you consume. Everyone, everywhere is inextricably connected to and utterly dependent upon the existence of the sea.” 18 likes
“The single non-negotiable thing life requires is water.” 8 likes