Start by marking “The Cancer-Fighting Kitchen: Nourishing, Big-Flavor Recipes for Cancer Treatment and Recovery” as Want to Read:

4.3  ·  Rating details ·  336 Ratings  ·  34 Reviews
A Culinary Pharmacy in Your Pantry

The Cancer-Fighting Kitchen features 150 science-based, nutrient-rich recipes that are easy to prepare and designed to give patients a much-needed boost by stimulating appetite and addressing treatment side effects including fatigue, nausea, dehydration, mouth and throat soreness, tastebud changes, and weight loss. A step-by-step guide hel
Published August 25th 2009 by Ten Speed Press (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Cancer-Fighting Kitchen, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Cancer-Fighting Kitchen

Erica
As I looked at other reviews of this book, I wondered how many of the reviewers had cancer while using it (a few mention being in chemo treatment) and, if so, were they making the recipes or did they have people who were making the food for them? Because I cannot imagine my mom, a lifelong capable user of difficult recipes, making most of the things in this book and she hasn't even started chemo. She can barely stand upright for ten minutes, let alone prepare an entire dish.

I've been looking thr
Kristi Mangan
Apr 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This cookbook has become the Bible of my kitchen, replacing all of my other cookbooks. It is outstanding. Not only are almost all of the recipes delicious, they are healthy, easy, and relatively quick to make... oh and they happen to be cancer-fighting. My favorites are the curried hummus veggie pinwheels, blueberry compote, and chocolate orange muffins (sugar free!), but everything is delicious. Even my 5-year-old notoriously picky eater has enjoyed them (he eagerly ate sautéed swiss chard and ...more
Ginnie Grant
Jun 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
as a cancer survivor this books quite literally can be a lifesaver. The recipes are good but it breaks down what you need to replace after various treatments. the miracle broth truly is a miracle
Chani Childers
Oct 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is such a good book and has lots of helpful recipes. I feel this book helps any survivor and who is dealing with treatment.
Kimberly Ann
Jan 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
♥ From the flap: "Cancer fighting Kitchen features 150 science-based, nutrient-rich recipes that are easy to prepare and designed to give patients a much-needed boost by stimulating appetite and addressing treatment side effects including fatigue, nausea, dehydration, mouth and throat soreness, taste bud changes, and weight loss. a step-by-step guide helps patients nutritionally prepare for all phases of treatment and a full nutritional analysis accompanies each recipe....."

WOW! How could you as
Amadeus
Dec 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
Cookbooks are something I've often flipped through and admired photos in but that I've rarely used regularly. That changed when I was gifted The Cancer Fighting Kitchen by Rebecca Katz after my cancer diagnosis.

Prior to cancer, I lived an overall healthy life of mostly nutritious food with just enough salty, greasy, and sweet to keep life fun. I also regularly exercised. I was/am in the low-risk category based on genetics and lifestyle. But cancer still came around anyways. I truly believe that
Jess Macallan
Dec 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cooking
I received an e-copy of this book from the publisher via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

Rebecca Katz is one of a select few cookbook authors now on my autobuy list. As a health coach and nutrition grad student, I'm picky about the cookbooks I use and recommend. The Cancer-Fighting Kitchen will be one I recommend to everyone. The emphasis on phytonutrients and nourishment will benefit everyone, but the care she takes focusing on the nutritional needs of cancer patients is one of the b
Alex Strick van Linschoten
Apr 24, 2013 rated it really liked it
Excellent introduction with some good tips on chemotherapy recovery and how diet can play into this. The recipes I've made from here have been a hit already, so it's already earning its keep in my kitchen.

It's good, too, that there are a lot of pictures in the book. That helps pick out things that look appetising (or not).

The ingredients used in recipes are easy to find (or they'll be things you already have in your kitchen) so that's always a bonus. Simple recipes = good (IMHO).

I only didn't gi
Susan
Jan 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
This has been a fantastic resource for me. I have only just started my journey having only been diagnosed with breast cancer on 22/12/14 however this has been a handy companion. I love being in the kitchen and this has been a great help in my endeavours to find food that my stomach and palate can handle. It is unfortunate that it is an american publication as chemo brain doesn't help when trying to convert quantities and terminology. I particularly love the handy hints and sections that help you ...more
Alexandra Chauran
Sep 27, 2015 rated it liked it
This book was fun to look through. It had an interesting list of proposed modalities for each food's cancer fighting properties. The recipes were a bit ridiculously complex though. I have cancer. I'm lucky if I can smell food in the microwave or not cut myself chopping things. I'm not about to start making root vegetable pot pies from scratch right now. Cooking through Cancer Treatment to Recovery had a few more tasty and reasonable recipes.
Jo
Jul 19, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: food, health
This is the other best cookbook on the planet! An elegant collection of recipes with solid science and wise advice about healthy cooking for all of us. And it won 2 International Association of Culinary Professionals (IACP) awards in 2010- best healthy cookbook AND the first ever people's choice, edging out 50 other titles! Beautiful photographs, outstanding taste, sparkling humor and useful information make this a complete winner.
Kylie Briggs
Mar 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cooking
I made the calming kudzu elixir this weekend when my stomach was upset. Rebecca says it's like a hug. Heck if she wasn't right. My stomach calmed down immediately. It was delicious and easy to make. I made it again the next night for my boyfriend and we put it over ice cream. Better than caramel any caramel sauce I've ever had! (FYI, it was mostly organic apple juice)

Rebecca has the rare ability of writing a cookbook that makes me feel like I'm hanging out with my best friend.
Samantha
May 26, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This book has changed my life. I can't praise it enough. The title suggests that it's only for cancer patients, but really anybody who wants to lead a healthy lifestyle would do well to buy this book. The recipes are healthy, tasty, and not unduly complicated to make. Another nice touch is that Rebecca Katz gives tips on how long every prepared meal can be refrigerated or frozen.
Anna
Oct 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
As an ovarian cancer survivor, I reassessed everything in my life, down to the cookbooks. Cancer Fighting Kitchen is amazing, and I would recommend it to everyone. I love Rebecca Katz, and this book is right next to my favorite, another by Katz, the Enchanted Broccoli Forest. Life in the kitchen is goods,
Debbie Shaw
Jan 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
What a great book to guide you through improving nutrition for the cancer patient and anyone who needs to up their good habits. Lots of fresh ginger in these recipes, but they all work well. The Mineral Broth recipe alone is worth the price of the book. Has a couple "soothing" recipes that are easy to make and delicious!
Gigi
Aug 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Incredible recipes and cooking tips to make healthy, healing foods delicious and flavorful. Discovered it during cancer treatment (it includes great tips on making food tasty during chemotherapy) but the recipes are so amazing that we've been using it regularly ever since.
Gremily
Dec 20, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cooking
This is how humans should eat all the time: smaller portions, less fat, more whole and organic foods, lots of vitamin and mineral rich meals. I recommend this book to everyone, not just cancer patients.
Kathy
Jun 09, 2011 rated it it was amazing
A dear friend gave me this book when I was part way through my chemo. I was having a difficult time eating, and this book was very helpful. Now that I have finished my treatment, I still turn to this book often. My husband and children also enjoy these recipes.
Nathalie
Jan 15, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This is an amazing cookbook! Every single recipe is delicious and perfect not just for those with or recovering from cancer, but for everyone! Both because the recipes are delicious but also packed with nutrients to keep our bodies well and happy!
Tami
Dec 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
So many great recipes all to help the cancer survivor, patient in treatment or person wanting to give their body what it needs to stay cancer free. Wonderfully written by Rebecca Katz. Love her stories and information she provides around her recipes.
Kim Veach
Good information. This author book came before Longtivity Kitchen and some of these recipes have been re-used or updated in that book.
Elizabeth
Jan 02, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: food
from the library

good veggie recipes
Stacie
Dec 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I read dozens of cookbooks marketed to people with cancer. This is the best one. Bar none. If someone you know is diagnosed with cancer, this is a great gift.
Jan 11, 2015 rated it liked it
Some good ideas,and some excellent recipes. Already made one. Some have odd ingredients - but many are just tweaked standard recipes. Tweaked to help with naseau and other common chemo problems
Jan 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Chock-full of delicious and nutritious recipes, most of them very easy to make. Another one for my cookbook shelf!
HealthCastleGlo
Jan 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Best book for the topic. Ive read lots of cancer cookbooks, but no other shows the thorough understanding of what cancer patients actually face in terms of taste aversions and changes.
Gerri Willis
Aug 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
Good, healthy recipes -- a lot of work though!
Libby
May 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing
A must-read if you are a caretaker or have cancer.
Melissa Shreve
Aug 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
I love Rebecca Katz books. She does an excellent job with her recipes. I used this book quite a bit while healing my way through cancer. Great book. One I would like to add to my collection.
Jan 30, 2011 rated it really liked it
One of the most well-rounded 'healthy' eating books I've found!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Superfood Kitchen: Cooking with Nature's Most Amazing Foods
  • The Artful Vegan: Fresh Flavors from the Millennium Restaurant
  • The Path of Practice: A Woman's Book of Ayurvedic Healing
  • The Runner's World Cookbook: 150 Recipes to Help You Lose Weight, Run Better, and Race Faster
  • The Self-Healing Cookbook:  Whole Foods To Balance Body, Mind and Moods
  • The Big Book Of Juices And Smoothies:  365 Natural Blends For Health And Vitality Every Day
  • The Ayurvedic Cookbook
  • The Gluten-Free Gourmet Bakes Bread: More Than 200 Wheat-Free Recipes
  • Fresh & Fermented: 85 Delicious Ways to Make Fermented Carrots, Kraut, and Kimchi Part of Every Meal
  • Crossroads: Extraordinary Recipes from the Restaurant That Is Reinventing Vegan Cuisine
  • The Savory Way
  • Juicing for Life: A Guide to the Benefits of Fresh Fruit and Vegetable Juicing
  • The Healthy Kitchen: Recipes for a Better Body, Life, and Spirit
  • Breaking the Vicious Cycle: Intestinal Health Through Diet
  • Thrive Foods: 200 Plant-Based Recipes for Peak Health
  • The Secrets of Baking: Simple Techniques for Sophisticated Desserts
  • The Whole Foods Market Cookbook: A Guide to Natural Foods with 350 Recipes
  • Anticancer: prévenir et lutter avec nos défenses naturelles
As the senior chef-in-residence and nutritional educator at one of the country's leading cancer wellness centers, REBECCA KATZ, MS, is the culinary link bringing together physicians and patients with a common goal: eating well to maximize cancer treatments, minimize side effects, and improve outcomes. She is the founder of the Inner Cook, a Bay Area culinary practice that specializes in meeting th ...more
More about Rebecca Katz...