Start by marking “Dark Reign: Young Avengers” as Want to Read:
Dark Reign: Young Avengers

Dark Reign: Young Avengers (Young Avengers (Collected Editions) #6)

3.54  ·  Rating details ·  1,234 Ratings  ·  46 Reviews
The Melter, The Executioner, The Enchantress, Egghead, Big Zero, and Coat of Arms: they call themselves the Young Avengers, teenage rebels, on the run from the authorities, hated and feared by a world they've sworn to protect. Their interests include interspecies romance, modern art, and bloody murder. Everything is permitted, and so are they. Until they meet the original ...more
Paperback, Trade, 120 pages
Published January 6th 2010 by Marvel

To ask other readers questions about Dark Reign, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dark Reign

Sesana
Sep 19, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics, superhumans
I am not a fan of the Dark Reign stuff. Not at all. I only read this because I've gotten absurdly attached to the Young Avengers team. It wasn't terrible, which is what I'd been afraid of. But the majority of the book focuses on the new "Young Avengers" (who aren't exactly Osborn certified, so I don't know what they were thinking) that pretty much show up out of nowhere. Naturally, like with other Dark Reign imposter teams, most of the new, fake Young Avengers mirror the real Young Avengers. The ...more
Sophie
Jul 18, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
I love the Young Avengers. I love them as much as I loved the early issues of Geoff Johns' Teen Titans, and that's saying something. Great characters and some great team interactions. Characters who obviously care about each other.

That said, this one.. had its problems. It's part of Dark Reign, so that's one of the reasons. There's a new group of young superheroes calling themselves Young Avengers, but they're not all that heroic. That, of course, means conflict with the original Young Avengers
Therese
This is my least favorite Young Avengers comic so far. I haven't read anything that came out after this yet, obviously, but I doubt anything that happened in here will be important to the team in future issues.
Miguel
Jan 24, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: marvel
This not blew my mind at all.
I kinda liked the new young avengers team (not all members). I don't know if I like Patriot... he's so "im perfect. you are wrong!"
Overall didn't bring much to the table. It was just ok. it was like the previous book i read from the YA: "Secret Invasion: Runaways/Young Avengers". The focus of the story its more on other team instead of YA.
Syd
May 19, 2014 rated it did not like it
Dark Reign was pretty awful, often cringe worthy, and failed to accomplish whatever it is they were hoping to do with it. Maybe if the series was longer and spent more time on how the Young Avengers felt about the new team and themselves it would have been much better. Over all it fell flat and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone that enjoys Young Avengers.
Mitchell
Lost and confused, which is kind of what you get with a Marvel Universe event like Dark Reign when it falls on a book like Young Avengers. It is still a Young Avengers story, character and backstory driven. But these other Young Avengers come out of nowhere and they just aren't very interesting.
Kyle Kerr
Sep 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
Definitely missed something critical here, because I've definitely never heard of Norman Osborn's Avengers. Interesting story, though. Some nice internal conflict with some of the characters, especially The Melter. Would love to see more of the Young Avengers!
Bill
Jan 07, 2018 rated it it was ok
Skippable. Very little here about the Young Avengers; as part of the "Dark Reign" story-line where various villains took the place of hero teams, this volume focuses on a group of morally questionable variations on the hero team formula (robot, magician, badass normal, etc.) with their own agendas and claiming the "Young Avengers" name. The plot doesn't make much sense, and worse, it builds up to what could be some interesting moral conflicts... only to end with a big, pointless fight that isn't ...more
Miguel
Nov 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
A cute Young Avengers story with at least some pretensions of depth. Coat of Arms's strange, meta ramblings might suggest something about the conditions of superheroics that brought about the long string of extraordinarily dour events like Civil War and Dark Reign. But parsing what she says would require a detailed close reading. As it stands, this is a fun romp.
Roger Royer
In all honesty I am not a fan of this book and saying that I really enjoyed this one. The series for me seemed unnecessary and a little disappointing since the characters could be used so much better and here you see of that potential. I just hope that some of this rubs off on the characters for later use.
Emelie Karlsson
Jul 31, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
Probably 3.5 stars for this one. It was quite pointless, wasn't it? Even though it was enjoyable. The 'new team' felt quite underdeveloped (do they show up in later comics?), and I only read this for the Young Avengers, obviously.
Nicole
Jan 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
3.75 stars. God I hate this cover. It's so heteronormative it almost feels like a parody. The story itself is okay. It has some interesting ideas I guess, but they don't feel like they were carried through as well as they should have been.
Clarissa
Dec 05, 2017 rated it did not like it
Yeah, I didn't like it. At all. I like the Young Avengers team, but this tie-in with Dark Reign was unnecessary. In my opinion it didn't bring anything to the storyline.
Lee
May 29, 2018 rated it it was ok
Meh. Dug the coloring style, complimented the art a lot.
Brooke
Dec 19, 2017 rated it it was ok
idk what i even just read i should probably stick to rereading matt fraction and david aja/annie wu’s hawkeyes for forever
Valeria
Jan 07, 2018 rated it liked it
I AM SO CONFUSED
Lauren
Feb 16, 2017 rated it it was ok
This was a gross read, but my need to read all of YA sort of won out over my discomfort with the Dark Reign storyline.
KV Taylor
I didn't really bother with the whole Dark Reign thing. Marvel and I were having one of our "we're not speaking" moments and Norman Osborne makes me want to shove hot nails through my eyes in general. (JMS is to blame. It's true.) That said, I was kind of trying to patch up holes in my Young Avengers collection and thought, ah the heck with it... in spite of the sheer weirdness of this cover.

(To Cornell's credit, Billy never flirted back. But come on, man.)

This starts out with a great concept, t
Shannon Appelcline
Sep 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics, comics-marvel
Cornell does something pretty amazing here. He introduces a new group of heroes, but with connections to past supervillains instead of to past Avengers. Then over five issues, he slowly reveals some of their secrets, all the while treating them as very real, interesting, and conflicted characters. It’s pretty much Heinberg’s model for the original Young Avengers, but with an interesting new spin.

In the overall book, the actual Young Avengers get a bit of a gloss, but when they appear they still
Finn
Jun 13, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
I think this is a must-read for anyone who's familiar with the Young Avengers. It requires some basic knowledge about their history and about the whole Dark Reign meta-plot [insert "Argh I hate big crossover megaplots" rant here]. I found most of the antagonists new and interesting. Mark Brooks' pencils are dynamic and expressive, if a bit pinup-y.

What impressed me most about this book is that it takes a serious look at the nature of superheroes. In the interest of avoiding spoilers, I'll just s
Sunil
Nov 27, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2013
More like Young Assholes! During Dark Reign, the Young Avengers also get evil counterparts, and while the first issue is disorienting for focusing so much on these new characters, the miniseries ends up being surprisingly strong, better than the Runaways crossovers. Coat of Arms, a Norman Osborn fangirl (and artist) who finds a magical coat, is the best new character, and I'd be interested in seeing her again. The other team members also have good stories. I enjoyed the interaction between the t ...more
Lauren
Mar 04, 2014 rated it it was ok
Out of all the young avengers comics I've read so far (which is pretty much all of them) this is the worst. Now, don't get me wrong, the real young avengers were as awesome as always and I'd still recommend this just for them alone and the art style was interesting. The reason this didn't get a bigger score from me is because of the "new" young avengers.

The characters were not fleshed out, I cringed so hard multiple times, and I just felt....unsatisfied. Even now as I'm sitting at my computer,
Jasmine
Sep 17, 2014 rated it it was ok
Ugh. It seemed like it was going somewhere cool with Coat of Arms staging reenactments! Pretentious performance art is completely my jam! Questioning what it means to be a superhero is also my jam! And then it just forgot what it was doing in the interest of advancing the story lines of the two white boy dark!YA and...fell flat on its face. Shame.

Also, can we talk about Enchantress's tits? I love boobs, I really do, artist, could you maybe not? It was bad enough with the weird flirty thing going
Mely
Feb 05, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-seq-art, comics
It feels like significant character development took place in some series not labeled 'Young Avengers' -- maybe one of the Initiative storylines? (Never mind, Secret Invasion comes before Dark Reign.) Anyway, this story of the Young Avengers meeting their Dark doubles is interesting and fun and has great quips. Subtracting a star because the subtext seems to be that real heroes are the people who have don't have doubts, with some 'hereditary is destiny' thrown in, and I'm way more in favor of st ...more
Rachael
Jan 21, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2011, comics
I probably would have liked this more if I knew what was happening in regular continuity at the time or even who the Young Avengers were, but my comic godfather looked over my shoulder and helped me work it out. I'll read the Ultimate Collection next and probably appreciate this even more.

As always, Cornell's characterization is dynamic and fascinating. The art could have had less boobs. Overall good stuff.
TinTin Kalaw
Jan 03, 2016 rated it it was ok
The Young Avengers meet their evil-ish counterparts (especially for the case of Stature, Vision, and Hawkeye)! This series focuses more on the perspective of the "new" Young Avengers as they try do what "heroes" do.

Overall, it was an okay read if you're like me who wants to read all the titles with the Young Avengers in it. I like the artwork and the witty way the dialogue was passed from one set of characters to another set (the one with "--an Avenger!").
lexi {#1 adam parrish stan}
The two stars are all for the original Young Avengers I know and adore, but other than their existence within the story, this was rough. I haven't heard much good about Dark Reign in general, so I didn't go in expecting much, but still ended the volume disappointed. I'd recommend reading this if you have a diehard thirst for any hint of the Young Avengers you can get like I do, but if you're more of a casual fan, it's not worth it.
Sylvester Kuo
May 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
The Dark Reign arc introduced a new team of rebellious anti-heroes who called themselves the "Young Avengers", when they started wrecking havoc the real Young Avengers came to offer them a trial to join the team, or rename themselves. It was fun and quite funny at times but the story made very little sense, especially the silly ending.
Joe
Dec 10, 2013 rated it it was ok
So here is the deal.
There seems to be this new short-cut on words and development in comics lately [that I don't like].
As if parts of conversations are accepted [like facts in evidence]. It doesn't work for me.
This GN has a lot of that going on...

The story almost felt throw away.
The ending really was.

sorry if you feel different.

Skip it.
Brenna
Jun 08, 2013 rated it it was ok
This was the first comic of the Young Avengers that I truly felt we could do without. I hope this is just a filler because if this 'new group' of Avengers comes back in any new Young Avengers comics I might stop reading them.

The art was good, there was some good humor in spots but honestly just skip this and go on to Children's Crusade.
What's up with that? 1 10 Jul 22, 2010 06:22PM
  • Young Avengers Presents
  • Secret Invasion: Runaways/Young Avengers
  • Young Avengers, Volume 2: Family Matters
  • Civil War: Young Avengers & Runaways
  • The New Avengers, Volume 12: Powerloss
  • X-Factor, Vol. 10:  Second Coming
  • Avengers Academy, Volume 2: Will We Use This in the Real World?
  • Runaways, Vol. 6: Parental Guidance (Runaways, #6)
  • Journey into Mystery: The Manchester Gods
  • Runaways, Vol. 10: Rock Zombies (Runaways, #10)
  • Ms. Marvel, Volume 7: Dark Reign
Paul Cornell is a British writer of science fiction and fantasy prose, comics and television. He's been Hugo Award-nominated for all three media, and has won the BSFA Award for his short fiction, and the Eagle Award for his comics. He's the writer of Saucer Country for Vertigo, Demon Knights for DC, and has written for the Doctor Who TV series. His new urban fantasy novel is London Falling, out fr ...more
More about Paul Cornell

Young Avengers (Collected Editions) (10 books)
  • Young Avengers, Volume 1: Sidekicks
  • Young Avengers, Volume 3: Mic-Drop at the Edge of Time and Space

Young Adult Deals

• Beneath the Shine
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Time's Divide (The Chronos Files, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Greensleeves
  • Gilded (Gilded, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Infinity Lost (The Infinity Trilogy #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Timebound (The Chronos Files, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Banished of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #1)
  • Keeping You a Secret
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Fractured (Guards of the Shadowlands, #2)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • Gena/Finn
    $13.99 $1.99
  • The Queen's Poisoner (Kingfountain, #1)
  • Trusting You & Other Lies
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Touch of Eternity (The Curse #1)
  • Dragon Rider
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Traitor's Kiss (The Traitor's Circle, #1)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Flush
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Dreadnought (Nemesis, #1)
  • A Totally Awkward Love Story
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Fire Queen (The Hundredth Queen, #2)
  • Go: A Coming of Age Novel
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Wishing Spell (The Land of Stories, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Better Nate Than Ever (Better Nate Than Ever #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Sanctum (Guards of the Shadowlands, #1)
  • Time Bomb
  • Kissing Max Holden
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Dryad-Born (Whispers from Mirrowen, #2)
  • Silvern (Gilded #2)
  • You Know Me Well
    $7.09 $2.99
  • Some Fine Day
  • Mystic (Mystic, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Almost Girl (The Riven Chronicles, #1)
  • Uprooted
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Ciphers of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Amid Stars and Darkness (The Xenith Trilogy #1)
  • Otherkin
  • The Odds of Loving Grover Cleveland
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Thief's Daughter (Kingfountain, #2)
    $5.99 $1.99