Start by marking “The Wizards and the Warriors (Chronicles Of An Age Of Darkness)” as Want to Read:
The Wizards and the Warriors (Chronicles Of An Age Of Darkness)

The Wizards and the Warriors (Chronicles of an Age of Darkness #1)

3.71  ·  Rating details ·  569 Ratings  ·  28 Reviews
The Wizards And The Warriors (Chronicles Of An Age Of Darkness)
Published 1987 by Corgi

To ask other readers questions about The Wizards and the Warriors, please sign up.

Adam White The first run of these books had a rather poor binding. Plus you are cursed by the fact those who own them, hold onto them like jewels. I have two,…moreThe first run of these books had a rather poor binding. Plus you are cursed by the fact those who own them, hold onto them like jewels. I have two, one I read every 3 or 4 years or so, and one wrapped in a silk sheet, hidden under my bed in a gilded box, guarded by 12 dozen or so gnomes. Best place to look, New Zealand second hand book shops. As he was adopted kiwi, so the shops here had heaps of his books. (less)

Dan Schwent
Miphon, Garash, and Phyphor, members of the Confederation of Wizards, join forces with Elkor Alish and Morgan Hearst, Rovac warriors and sworn enemies of the Confederation, to slay the wizard Heenmor and retrieve the death-stone he stole from the Dry Pit. Only nothing is ever as simple as it seems. Feelings of greed and jealousy taint the party. If they retrieve the death-stone, can any of them resist the temptation to use it?

The Wizards & The Warriors is the first of The Chronicles of an Ag
Jun 25, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
I had never heard of Hugh Cook until Paizo's recent reprint of The Walrus and the Warwolf, which I later found out was the fourth (or possibly fifth if you are American) volume in his mammoth Chronicles of an Age of Darkness, his series from the 1980s, and my interest even then was only piqued because I noticed that China Mieville had written the introduction to that particular edition.

Chronicles of an Age of Darkness was originally slated as a 20 (!) book series to be followed by two more serie
Feb 23, 2012 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: lovers of the fantasy genre looking for something new
Recommended to Terry by: The three Dans
Shelves: fantasy
With a title like _The Wizards and the Warriors_ I would normally have steered clear of this book for the foreseeable future. I’m not overly snobbish, I think, but it just brings to mind so many B-movies of the fantasy genre from the late 70’s and early 80’s starring has-beens or never-will-bes that I wouldn’t have expected much of it and would certainly not have desired to plow through 500+ pages of what I would have at most expected to be mildly entertaining, and perhaps moderately wince-induc ...more
Martin Green
Feb 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, fiction
I remember reading this series a few years after release, having picked them up in a good second hand bookstore. At first I assumed it would be standard fantasy fare and only bought book one because I was low on alternatives - but, despite the cover art and blurbs that suggested that the publisher only wished it were standard fantasy fare, I was hooked by the author's refusal to observe genre conventions. In fact the series is subversive of the genre, although this may be due to Cook's own uniqu ...more
Jay Daze
May 22, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Great anti-high fantasy with characters who can be brutal, venal and sometimes quite bitchy - the point being they feel like real people rather than idealized slabs of marble or boring every men. Not many female characters running around in this book but I've ordered a slab of futher books in the Chronicles series to hopefully get some great female characters as well.

As far as I can tell each book stands on its own with characters from one book sometimes making appearances in other books - whic
May 09, 2014 rated it liked it
Compared to books 2 and 4 (which I read previous to this one), this opening volume of the Chronicles is riddled with slow spots that interrupt the otherwise-hectic pace of story. The fact that he is juggling multiple perspectives may be a contributing factor in this regard. I wonder if Cook was still getting his feet wet as a fantasy writer.

Cook's fearsome imagination is again in full gear, and some scenes will stay with me for life. Cook also tugs the story this way and that with little warnin
Aug 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Hugh Cook inserts some reality into his Fantasy.

While the setting is fantastic, Cook makes sure to break our expectations of a regular fantasy adventure, with his less than heroic heroes and less than clear path to ultimate goal.

My favorite scene is a battle where we first hear about the general's well laid plans and then watch them crumble in the face of reality.
So many books place a brilliant commander in charge and then you watch his brilliant plan unfold like clockwork. Hugh Cook is way beyo
May 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy-noir
Before there was George R.R. Martin, before there was Joe Abercrombie, before there was Steven Erikson, there was Hugh Cook.

I probably would have first read this first book by what was to become my favourite author for many years (and who is still up there in the top three) almost thirty years ago now. On first attempt I did not get into it, but at the time the high point of my reading tastes was David Eddings. I took it away on holiday with me a few months later and with then ended up read
Apr 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Ceri Sambrook
Sep 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I'm cheating and using this reveiw for all Hugh Cook's Chronicles of an Age of Darkness.
Take almost every fantasy cliche and trope you can think of and give it to Eddings or Jordan and you get 'The Belgariad' or 'The Wheel of Time'- entertaining enough but otherwise souless pap. Give them however to Hugh Cook and you get your tiny mind blown. He turns everything on its head like no other author before or after him. Wizards, magic bottles, monsters and heroes are used in such a fresh imaginative
Dror Bedrack
Nov 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
What an amazing book. A much smarter book than you'd expect from a Wizards and Warriors fantasy novel. The author keeps playing with your expectations of the narrative - and crushes them time and time again. But it's never a deus ex machina, a plot twist for the sake of a plot twist, it's always built into the narrative. Villains become heroes, heroes become villains, the strong are revealed to be weak, the wise to be fools, and fools become kings. All with an exceptional insight of human nature ...more
Conway Lai
I read this book as a teenager and loved it. I would like to read this book and the others from Hugh Cook again as an adult to find if my thoughts on it will change.
Myke Halstead
Feb 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Aug 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
Have decided to revisit the entire Chronicles of an Age of Darkness, and am happy to find this has stood the test of time and was thoroughly enjoyable a (mere) 30 years later.

I think they appealed to me as a kid as they were markedly different to the escapist fantasy and sci fi I was also reading, think The Belgariad etc. These books felt grown up; there's adult humour and macabre elements I distinctly remember and that I still find gross, and pleasantly there are strong and non cliched female c
Feb 12, 2017 added it
One of the grittiest fantasy novels I have read. There is so much about this book that I love. If you are a fan of fantasy read it if you get a chance.
Aug 19, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: missed-the-mark
This was ALMOST there for me, but damn did I have to FORCE myself to read it everyday. The last 50 pages were a speed trial as I tried to race to the end just so I could be done.

Mostly it seemed like fantasy ADD as Cook threw idea after idea at us, sometimes with little or no build up (such as the random wizard tower Hearst entered in - set up and denouement all in about 3 pages).

I might actually try book 4 someday; a lot of people seem to recommend that as a good starting place. Probably good
Sep 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
In this book you will find a fantasy story unlike any I have ever read. Hugh Cook manages to put in one novel that many others would turn into a trilogy so much happens in this book.
The wizards are uber powerful, the warriors are flawed but with a strong compass of where their loyalties lay even if puts them against each other or in untenable positions.

I do highly recommend this book I know it is a part of a larger series but it works as a stand alone also
Aug 28, 2012 rated it really liked it
4 and a half definately . Hugh's style of writing really suits my reading :0 . swords and wizards - plenty of heavy drinking - and of course with hugh there always seems to be an outbreak of pox :)
he really develops underdog characters you love and will always remember . The magic he uses is unique and always his own . and i have another 6 to read . Nice.
Sep 21, 2009 rated it really liked it
Quirky and resolutely its own thing. The setting is imaginative and the characters grow and twist in interesting ways. Cook's pacing is occasionally odd, with some rushes and jumps, but that helps make the book engaging--Cook knows where he wants his focus to be, so he only bothers with the parts of the story that really interest him. Definitely worth a look.
Thomas Müller
May 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing
The idea of power accumulation has stuck with throughout my gaming years. What a brilliant rationale for wizard immortality this book provided. Here, it is not a goal but a consequence of the way spells are powered.
Sep 13, 2009 rated it it was amazing
This is fantasy with an eye for the large scale. A mere page spent on a battle, but that gives room for some real exploration of what people might do with magic, and how it would affect the world.
Sep 06, 2011 rated it really liked it
Great book! read it years ago & just got it again second hand (they're the best purchases mind you), so I will read it again.
Aug 17, 2011 rated it really liked it
I can't remember now how many in this series I managed to read, but ended up losing patience and giving up somewhere around book 5.
Mar 29, 2012 marked it as to-read
Shelves: fantasy-scifi
Reviewed by Fantasy Literature
Jul 17, 2008 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Recommended by Sam... I was craving some good old fantasy.
Waldo Dijk
Aug 04, 2015 rated it liked it
Chaotic line, not really building up suspense
But a decent read not the best and certainly not in the league off the belgariad or thomes covenant.
rated it did not like it
Jul 16, 2012
May 06, 2012
Steve Hunter
Jul 05, 2009
Phillip Simpson
Sep 02, 2011
  • The Elves and the Otterskin (World of the Alfar, #2)
  • Template
  • Nifft the Lean
  • The War of Powers
  • The Wizard in Waiting (Pelman the Powershaper #2)
  • The Wild (A Requiem For Homo Sapiens, #2)
  • Intervention (Intervention #1-2)
  • Daughter of Regals and Other Tales
  • The Sword and the Stallion (Corum, #6)
  • The Day of the Dissonance (Spellsinger, #3)
  • The Mountains of Channandran (Winter King's War, #3)
  • Kharé - Cityport of Traps (Fighting Fantasy: Sorcery! #2)
  • Forest of Doom (Fighting Fantasy: Reissues 1, #8)
  • First Family (Amtrak Wars, #2)
  • Babylon Steel (Babylon Steel, #1)
  • Tales of the Dying Earth
Hugh Cook was a cult author whose works blend fantasy and science fiction. He is best known for his epic series The Chronicles of an Age of Darkness.

More about Hugh Cook...

Chronicles of an Age of Darkness (10 books)
  • The Wordsmiths and the Warguild (Chronicles of an Age of Darkness, #2)
  • The Women And The Warlords
  • The Walrus And The Warwolf
  • The Wicked and the Witless (Chronicles of an Age of Darkness, #5)
  • The Wishstone and the Wonderworkers (Chronicles of an Age of Darkness, #6)
  • The Wazir and the Witch
  • The Werewolf and the Wormlord
  • The Worshippers And The Way (Chronicles Of An Age Of Darkness Volume 9)
  • The Witchlord and the Weaponmaster

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• The Silent Shield (Kingfountain #5)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Terms of Enlistment (Frontlines #1)
    $3.99 $2
  • The Immortal Circus (Cirque des Immortels, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Boundary Crossed (Boundary Magic, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Lines of Departure (Frontlines, #2)
    $3.99 $2
  • Gateway to Fourline (The Fourline Trilogy, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Scourge of Muirwood (Legends of Muirwood, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Nightstalkers (Area 51: The Nightstalkers, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Book of Truths (Area 51: The Nightstalkers, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Dead Spots (Scarlett Bernard #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Rift (Area 51: Nightstalkers, #3)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Blight of Muirwood (Legends of Muirwood, #2)
    $3.99 $2
  • The Forsaken Throne (Kingfountain #6)
  • Caraval (Caraval, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Rebel Genius
    $6.38 $2.99
  • Time Patrol (Area 51: The Nightstalkers, #4)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Secret Hour (Midnighters, #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The King's Traitor (Kingfountain, #3)
  • Fear the Drowning Deep
    $16.99 $1.99
  • Insignia (Insignia, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Hollow Crown (Kingfountain #4)
  • Blood Rose Rebellion
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Ocean of Storms
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Space Between Heartbeats (Betwixt #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Glass Magician (The Paper Magician Trilogy, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Final Trade (The Dominion Trilogy, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Flamecaster (Shattered Realms, #1)
    $4.09 $1.99
  • Wool: The Graphic Novel
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Wretched of Muirwood (Legends of Muirwood, #1)
  • Timequake