Start by marking “Ever” as Want to Read:
Ever

Ever

3.45  ·  Rating details ·  19,390 ratings  ·  1,732 reviews
Falling in love is easy . . .

. . . for Kezi, a beautiful mortal, dancer, and rug weaver, and for Olus, Akkan god of the winds. Their love brings Kezi the strength to fight her fate, and it gives Olus the strength to confront his fears. Together—and apart—they encounter spiders with webs of iron, the cruel lord of the land of the dead, the mysterious god of destiny, and the
Published April 26th 2011 by HarperCollins (first published May 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Ever, please sign up.
Neither. This is a retelling of a real story from the Bible-- the one she quotes at the beginning of the book. Jephthah vows to God that, if he wins…moreNeither. This is a retelling of a real story from the Bible-- the one she quotes at the beginning of the book. Jephthah vows to God that, if he wins his battle, he will sacrifice whoever first greets him when he returns home. He expects, quite reasonably, that his flock of goats will be the ones to 'greet' him, but when he returns home, his daughter comes out to congratulate him on his battle. Levine is Jewish and is retelling a Jewish story from the Torah. (less)

·  19,390 ratings  ·  1,732 reviews

Start your review of Ever
Rachel
Jun 11, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I bought this book with great anticipation. I loved the author's previous works, and I was looking forward to a nice enjoyable read. I found something quite different.

First, I found the characters to be flat, one demensional, and simplistic. Perhaps Levine was trying to catch the simplicity of the setting, ancient times, with her tale, but I found it lacking her usual magic.

Second, and most importantly to me, I found her presentation of the female's god hitting too close to home. Though she
James Carroll
A lot of people reviewing this book are complaining about the writing style and seemingly flat characterizations in the story. The writing style used in this book is an intentional imitation of ancient Mesopotamian texts and story telling techniques, which was a quirk that I really enjoyed, perhaps because I knew where it was coming from and what she was doing. However, I can understand why others who don't know where this is coming from are having problems with it. This imitation also impacts ...more
Amy
May 13, 2010 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I normally love anything by Levine.
Normally.
But this was book....different. I wasn't expecting much, gotta love goodreads reviews, but I was expecting something!! Someone pointed out the characters were flat, another said the writing was simplistic. Its all that but more. I felt no sympathy for the main characters, not the mortal girl or her supposed god of the wind.
The writing wasn't as magical, its almost impossible to imagine, or care, what happens next.
Mostly though, I was disgusted the
Robbie
May 29, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 5-star-ratings
From http://rowijo.void-star.net

The title of this post is my favorite quote from Ever, the new novel by Gail Carson Levine. Y’know, she wrote Ella Enchanted? And then some other books that weren’t as good in my personal opinion? Anyway, this one is amazingly good to the point of being ridiculous. It’s so good, it’s almost like eating chocolate. Unless you don’t like chocolate, in which case you probably aren’t allowed to read in the insane asylum you are in.

The story is told in alternating
Melissa T
Jul 10, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult, fantasy
I wanted to like this because I like so many other books by this author...but it was utterly impossible. The very first chapter starts out stupid -- strange-and-hard-to-remember-names, odd notions about gods etc., and absurdly short sentences. Why is it that when certain authors are trying to write from the perspective of someone from long ago he/she assume the characters don't speak their language very well? It's almost as if Levine was trying to imitate a weak translation into English. She ...more
Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Lynn Crow for TeensReadToo.com

Olus, the young god of the wind, prefers to live with humans rather than his divine companions, all of whom are hundreds of years older than he is. In his travels he can't help noticing and falling in love with the beautiful and talented Kezi. At first he forces himself to be content merely watching, but then Kezi's father makes a deadly oath, and Kezi has only a month left to live. Unwilling to let her die, Olus reveals himself and offers Kezi a chance
Mar 05, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was a bit baffled by this book at first. I couldn’t figure out if I liked it because it is by Gail Carson Levine who I highly admire or because I actually enjoyed the book. I certainly like Fairest and Ella Enchanted more, but Ever is still really good.

Kezi lives with her Mati and Pado under her God, Admat. Her Mati gets sick very suddenly, and her Pado promises to Admat to sacrifice the first person to congratulate him if her Mati gets better. Kezi is already nearly 16, the age at which girls
Sam
Jun 01, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I wasn't expecting much, and didn't get much out of this book. Gail Carson Levine just hasn't written as good a fairytale since "Ella Enchanted".

Besides the fact that I thought the whole storyline was rather *ahem* stupid, I thought it was weak, the characters were weak...it just lacked the special "something", I thought. I didn't care about the characters, didn't care what dangers they went through, or whether or not they'd make it in the end. It won't be one I'll read again...
Jessica
Neat! Set in a world not unlike Mesopotamia, young Kezi is devout in her prayers to the god Admat. But what happens if you pray to one god, and another answers? And what if the god that answers is . . . well, young and attractive?
Elizabeth Dragina
Feb 05, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dnf
Nope.

Do I really have to explain? A god and a human? *fake laughter* Not even gonna start. I picked the book up without fully comprehending what it was about. My mistake.
Christina
Mar 14, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult
I love Gail Carson Levine. She has a classic style that I love, which is also easy to read. That being said, this newest novel of hers was nothing like the Gail I knew! I did enjoy this one, quite a bit in fact, but it was definitely not you average princess story!

So, if you are going to read this novel, I have 3 bits of advise. First, just keep moving past the beginning. You are going to read the first two pages and go "hmmmmmmm...." but keep going! Second, get used to having two narrators and
Regan
Jul 07, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
All over, I enjoyed this book much more than Ella Enchanted and Fairest (to this day, I still don't really like Ella Enchanted, but Fairest is high on my list of favorites). Olus and Kezi are star-crossed lovers in a desert world, and they meet at a wedding only to fall in love immediately.

Ever is fantasically funny at times, and also heart-wrenchingly sappy. There are indeed its moments of cliche, but it's all-over well done. Imagination takes over, with only a few details to give the setting
Elisabeth
Jul 31, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I almost didn't read this because of the horrible reviews it received, and now I wish I hadn't, because I should've been doing laundry, cleaning, errands, paying attention to my daughter, etc. I didn't get anything done because reading this book was like having a plate full of warm chocolate chip cookies in front of me. I can't eat just one, I have to eat the whole plateful and then sit around and hate myself. Well, I don't hate myself, but I definitely couldn't put this book down. I absolutely ...more
Sha
I was so excited to go into this re-read because Gail Carson Levine is a huge favourite of mine and I remembered so much cuteness between main characters Olus and Kezi. Well, oops, seems like my young teen brain failed me a little on that one, since I remain in love with this take on Judges 11 but several things did fall flat.

Kezi is a sweet girl and a fun character. She likes to weave and dance, she loves her family, and the moment she meets Olus, she loves him too. All that to say she is a
zane
Sep 27, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I normally love this author, but this book just felt... dead. The characters were flat, the writing was boring, the romance was dull, the dialogue was unbelievable. Everything fell short. And I REALLY didn't like the theological implications. No thank you. I'm actually probably getting rid of this book, and it takes a lot for me to get rid of a book by an author I love. Not recommended at all - try one of her other books instead.
Kelly Winters
2.5 stars - This was a tough one for me to rate. It read really fast, and I didn't think there was anything wrong with it, but I didn't really enjoy my reading experience. The relationship was very instalove, and because the whole plot depends on their love rising above the odds, that made it hard for me to feel invested.
Katy
Oct 26, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I really wanted to like this book, but I just didn't - at all.

I thought this book had a lot of potential because I'm always interested in cultures that explore other gods. And I liked how the characters are supposed to perform certain tasks and lessons in order to become a champion or heroine.

However, I found that I did not like the characters. Olus was kind of a ridiculous character. We never find out why he wanted to leave other than he was lonely. But he leaves to become a sheep herder,
Addy S.
I surprised myself by finishing this book in one day! I really enjoyed Ever, and I will definitely read Gail Carson Levine’s other books!

Here are the stats:
-Romance: nothing bad or too descriptive, a good deal of kissing.
-Violence: hmm... I wouldn’t say there is violence, but there is a lot of talk of making human sacrifices.
-Language: nothing bad in this area! I appreciated reading a book that’s clean.

What I didn’t like..
-Kezi and Olus fell in love WAY too quickly and were kissing before I got
Amber
Jun 05, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great fast read, this book had part Norse, part Mesopotamian myth incorporated its story lines. I of course I snatched up this book immediately when I saw Gail Carson Levine had published a new one, but even if she wasn't one of my favorite Juvie/YA authors, the first few lines on the back cover would have captured me:

He is watching me.
He is flawless, without a blemish. Majestic... Muscular.

Our hero, Olus, an Akkan God, is lonely in the heavens; the only child amongst immortals. He decides to
Sella Malin
Jan 15, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love this book!!! It's so creative and amazing. The plot is so well-developed and complex, as are the characters. It's so fast-paced and exciting; the book captivated me from the first page to last, and I literally couldn't put it down- I finished it in a day, and only took breaks when I had to. I love Levine's writing style; it is really unique...it's poetic and musical and feels like a song. And something about it is so mesmerizing; her style has me hypnotized.

This is even better than
Aug 12, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This is the first time I've been disappointed in one of Levine's books. It is very atheist and anti-christian. It makes anyone who has "faith" look dumb and superstitious. And it makes god-like figures faulted, mean, and petty. It wasn't even written that well, and seems mostly the platform for a politically correct agenda. Not a good read.
Betsy
Feb 21, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Huh. Well, if it's based on a fairy tale, I'm not sure what it was. This is certainly one of Levine's more quiet and contemplative novels. Not many children's books ask "Is there a God?" so this is probably one of the few.

Ages 10-18
Magen
It was a sweet, light, romance. There's definitely issues here, but for what it is, it was nice.
Emily Beeson
Feb 06, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fairy tale fanatics
Ever by Gail Carson Levine
Review by Emily of Deliciously Clean Reads

Ever is a brand new fairy tale brought to you by the author of Ella Enchanted, Fairest, and many other great stories.Ever is told from both the perspective of Olus, god of winds, and the mortal girl he falls in love with, Kezi.

Olus lives a lonely life. None of the other gods are even close to his age. When he turns 17, he leaves the Akkan gods and seeks a life with the mortals. He becomes a goatherd for Kezi’s father. He
Jerry
Jul 19, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
A Quickie Review

I tried reading this a week or two ago, and forgot about it; just a day or two ago, I started it again, but couldn't finish it. This book is just not up to par with Ms. Levine's other writings. The awkward writing, the inane story...yeah, you should just skip this one.

Content Concerns: Polytheistic spirituality may bother some folks, even if the above negative qualities don't.

Score: 1.25/5
June
Sep 15, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fantasy and Levine fans
Recommended to June by: Elissa
Shelves: fantasy
A quick read. Fated to die, Kezi, falls in love with Olus, the Akkan god of the winds. She decides to fight her fate. Love also gives Olus the strength to confront his fears. A light romance that takes on some deeper questions of faith.

I remembered reading it before, but after misplacing Tale of Two Cities, I picked it up again and enjoyed it again, though their trials were a little slow re-reading.
Candi Criddle
This was a simplified version of the Twilight storyline. The setting is very original, but it was a little short and under developed for my taste. Good for a quick read.
In a world much like historical ancient Sumer, there exist two nearby kingdoms, one monotheistic, the other polytheistic. The gods of the polytheistic kingdom are temperamental, but ultimately have the best interests of their worshippers at heart. The one god of the other city-state, Admat, is jealous and bloodthirsty. The other gods appear in the flesh among their people on festival days; Admat’s omens are ambiguous and his face is hidden.

Atop the magic-shrouded mountain outside the
Zara
Jan 12, 2017 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: People who love world-building and ancient civilisations
Shelves: reread, unhauled, 2-stars
"It takes more courage to be a mortal than it takes to be a god." (Olus)

I've read quite a few of Gail Carson Levine's previous books, Fairest , Ella Enchanted , The Two Princesses of Bamarre and The Fairy's Return and Other Princess Tales and I'm quite familiar with her work. While Ever is a good book it fails to entrance me the way Gail Carson Levine's previous books have.

There are two things that are done extremely well in Ever. This is the world-building and the plot.

The world is an
gabbyisreadingnow
This writing style was much different than Ella Enchanted, which surprised me as I thought they would be more or less the same. I didn't enjoy this very much, and was quite disappointed with this book. I had absolutely no attachment to any of the characters, and thought they were all very bland. The descriptions are all a bit ridiculous and out of place. I don't think I Will be rereading, nor buying, this book. (I do love this cover, though.)
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Feb 21, 2015 10:52AM
Fantasy 1 12 Nov 25, 2014 04:29PM
Mythology/Folk Tale 1 8 Oct 19, 2014 05:02PM
BYU-Adolescent Li...: Ever 1 9 May 30, 2013 10:35PM

• Princess Academy (Princess Academy, #1)
  • Book of a Thousand Days
  • Forest Born (The Books of Bayern, #4)
  • Enna Burning (The Books of Bayern, #2)
  • Dragon's Breath
  • The Frog Princess
  • Palace of Stone (Princess Academy, #2)
  • Dragon Flight (Dragon Slippers, #2)
  • Princess of the Midnight Ball (The Princesses of Westfalin Trilogy, #1)
  • River Secrets (The Books of Bayern, #3)
  • Twice Upon a Marigold (Upon a Marigold, #2)
  • My Unfair Godmother (My Fair Godmother, #2)
  • Palace of Mirrors (The Palace Chronicles, #2)
  • Princess of the Silver Woods ( The Princesses of Westfalin Trilogy, #3)
  • The Forgotten Sisters (Princess Academy, #3)
  • Once Upon a Curse
  • Dragon Slippers (Dragon Slippers, #1)
  • Just Ella (The Palace Chronicles, #1)
Just letting you all know: I'm only going to review books I love. There's enough negative criticism without me piling on. A book is too hard to write.

Gail Carson Levine grew up in New York City and began writing seriously in 1987. Her first book for children, Ella Enchanted, was a 1998 Newbery Honor Book. Levine's other books include Fairest; Dave at Night, an ALA Notable Book and Best Book for
“Fate...may...be...thwarted.” 58 likes