Start by marking “Momo” as Want to Read:
Momo

Momo

4.31  ·  Rating details ·  46,371 ratings  ·  2,544 reviews
Eine gespenstische Gesellschaft "grauer Herren" ist am Werk und veranlasst immer mehr Menschen, Zeit zu sparen. Aber in Wirklichkeit betrügen sie die Menschen um diese ersparte Zeit. Als die Not am größten ist und die Welt ihnen schon endgültig zu gehören scheint, entschließt sich Meister Hora, der geheimnisvolle "Verwalter der Zeit", zum Eingreifen. Doch dazu braucht er d ...more
Published December 31st 1999 by Thienemann (first published 1973)

To ask other readers questions about Momo, please sign up.
Nim If you have just started studying German it won't be the easiest read, no book is when you're only beginning another language, but once you're…moreIf you have just started studying German it won't be the easiest read, no book is when you're only beginning another language, but once you're intermediate by all means read it because it's one of the most magical and beautiful books you'll ever read! You'll have to look up words from time to time but I promise it will be worth the effort because it will teach you the words that add colour, texture and magic and really gives a language wings.(less)
Anika Depends on what she likes. It's a children's book (suitable for kids 10 years and older in my estimation), but it's compelling, thrilling, and…moreDepends on what she likes. It's a children's book (suitable for kids 10 years and older in my estimation), but it's compelling, thrilling, and wonderfully imaginative. It has fantastical elements, a strong female protagonist, and is beautifully written. My mom loved it, if that helps. :)(less)

·  46,371 ratings  ·  2,544 reviews

Start your review of Momo
Manny
Dec 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Busy people
Recommended to Manny by: notgettingenough
Manny was working late one evening when he received an unexpected visitor. He was an old man with white hair and gold-rimmed glasses, curiously dressed in a lace-embroidered doublet and a periwig, and he was carrying a book.

"Greetings," said the visitor. "I think you should read this."

"What is it?" asked Manny irritably. People were always asking him to read things. "I don't really have time right now. I need to get this software problem fixed for tomorrow. And then I hav
May 09, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
Oh my... you haven't read this book? You poor dear. I suspect that the reason why this book is not read in the United States is because the grey men are working very hard to keep it off the shelves. It is moments, not time, that is precious.
Kara Maia Spencer
Aug 08, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: YA & Adults
Momo is a classic story that is known as a children's book, yet I believe that adults may even glean more from its reading than younger folk. Momo is written by Michael Ende, the author who is most known in the US for having written The Neverending Story. When I was younger, and my mother ran an independent children's bookstore, she ordered a case of this book, and gave a copy to all of her friends and colleagues.

This is a modern day fairytale, about a little girl named Momo, who mov
Lisa
Jun 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children, favorites
Dear friends!

Do you have time to sit down for a moment, and listen to a story? It is a true one, of great importance, with a vital message for humankind. It starts in a classroom, where a teacher is about to wrap up for the day. She has put a lot of time into the Timesaving Bank, and wants to save some more of it by rushing off to the underground to catch the next train. That makes at least four minutes which she will not have to spend waiting, Heaven forbid! 4 minutes to put into th
Ahmad Sharabiani
Momo = Grey Gentlemen = The Men in Grey, Michael Ende
Momo, also known as The Grey Gentlemen or The Men in Grey, is a fantasy novel by Michael Ende, published in 1973. It is about the concept of time and how it is used by humans in modern societies. The full title in German (Momo oder Die seltsame Geschichte von den Zeit-Dieben und von dem Kind, das den Menschen die gestohlene Zeit zurückbrachte) translates to Momo, or the strange story of the time-thieves and the child who brought the stol
Bradley
Feb 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019-shelf, fantasy, ya
What was I thinking? I already count Ende's The Neverending Story to be one of the very best books ever written, so why would I waste SO MUCH TIME getting to anything else he wrote?

It blows my mind!

It's almost like SOMEONE HAS BEEN STEALING MY TIME! All those damn time-savers out there fooled me and tied me up and made my life a dull gray, smoke-filled, DEADLY TEDIOUS world! They kept me from this book... and now I know why!

It's a conspiracy of the Time-Banks.
Mir
Jun 21, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Our time is stolen; or perhaps more accurately we mortgage it away, thinking we're getting a bargain when in fact we're screwing ourselves over.

Mystery and Melancholy on a Street, Giorgio de Chirico
Penny
Jan 18, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: k-read-kids, reviewed
I read this book for the first time as a preteen, but I left it unfinished because I didn't find it engaging or entertaining. A few years later, due to my LOVE for Michaels Endes's The Neverending Story, I decided to give it another try, and managed to finish it that time.
In the end, I quite liked the story, I found it very beautiful actually. My problem with it is that it isn't a diverting read, I found it boring in many occasions, which it is a shame because the message that this story sends i
Dane
Apr 20, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of lighthearted literature
Shelves: fiction-read
You cannot, repeat: cannot, go into this book with the expectations of "hard," realist fiction. Then again, if you know anything about Michael Ende (the author of the Never Ending Story), you won't.

Momo is one of those rare books that would do well in a fourth-grade classes, but is also strangely releveant to adults. The story centers around a girl named Momo who took residence in an ancient, abandoned amphitheater in an unnamed town, which is populated by a series of people who do s
Ms. Smartarse
Apr 03, 2013 rated it liked it
Translated into English, under the same title: Momo.

At the edge of a small town, among the ruins of an old amphitheater, lives a most unusual little girl. She is very small, very poor and not particularly educated for her age. She does, however, have an extraordinary talent: she can truly listen to people.

Momo listens

Don't mistake her listening skills for the generic I will listen for now, but pleas
Bunny
Oct 02, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: People of any age who never have time for anything
Recommended to Bunny by: Meltha
Shelves: read-in-08
Recommended to me by Meltha, one of the smartest people I know, who has a great love for most of the things I love. How could I resist?

10/9 - Why? Why isn't this required reading in schools all over the damn place? Why haven't I heard of this? Why hasn't it been made into a movie like NES?

WHY?????

::ahem::

This book is WONDERFUL! And for the first time since I started keeping my nose in a book 14 hours a day (a girl's gotta sleep), people asked what I was readi
Mar 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Anni's pick for my "Tell me your favorite standalone and I'll read it" BINGO

I didn't even know this book existed till Anni recommended it. And boy am I glad I read it! Because it was so lovely and charming!!! Fabulous!

Momo, is a ragged little waif, who had set up house beneath the stage of an old ruined amphitheatre. Small and thin, with an unruly mop of jet-black hair that looked as if it had never seen a comb or a pair of scissors, she is most always barefoot and wears an ankle-length dress that's more like a
Dan
Jul 27, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I bought this book several months ago at a used book store, but I put off reading it because I was afraid it wouldn't live up to Michael Ende's other famous book, which also happens to be my favorite book, The Neverending Story. While Momo isn't as complex and more bluntly allegorical, it is charming and emotionally stunning. Perhaps I am more naive than most readers, but I felt myself swept up into this book's persuasive world in which children are forgetting how to play and adults only care ab ...more
Anca-Daniela Spataru
Nov 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 4-stars
“Time is life itself, and life resides in the human heart.”
Alina
Jan 17, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
After the first 30 or so pages, I was beginning to think I would be the only one to not like this, and suddenly it started to become interesting and profound. Even though it seems written for the little ones, it really addresses the adults. It's a reminder of LIFE, of the time we have and how we choose to spend it. Choose wisely! :)

I warmly recommend this book.

"Calendars and clocks exist to measure time, but that signifies little because we all know that an hour can seem
/>
Fran
Dec 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, middle-grade
A wonderful book for children (and those who have left childhood behind but are looking for a ray of hope to keep them sane). Momo is a little girl about to be swallowed by a world where men dressed in gray are working hard to steal people's time. No one has time for stories now, or games, but Momo won't let these men and this new world take away her friends, she will fight for them and save them from a destiny of regrets.
Beautifully written and full of heart.
Feral goblin child 🍃
Jun 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
One of the most magical books from my childhood, and had a great deal in shaping my surreal tastes and weird sense of reality
Michelle
May 22, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone!
THIS is how to write a novel-length fairy tale. The characters are whole and human, the fantasy pure, and all else perfect. I must have more of Michael Ende's work.
Some stories that deal with magic don't explain anything, not even the rules by which their magic operates. Others make too many rules, turning it into a confusing science. Not so here. Like fairy tales, we are introduced to a magical object, told the rules which constrain it, but now HOW it works, and move on. The reader is no
Denisa Arsene
Jun 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019
Momo's parable is a story that, unfortunately, nowadays, more and more people live. we are trying to save as much time as we can by meeting goals that we alone or others impose on us. We only have a quick transition through life (in general) without having much time to sit with ourselves, to listen to us and to others, to nature, to life. We eat fast, we read fast, we go fast, we work fast, we want everything to go in a hurry to get ... where? It's an idea that has been grinding me for years. Th ...more
Arielle Walker
One day I want to be the concept artist on the film version. One of my favourite stories - lyrical, relevant, beautiful. Far more than a simple children's book.
Book Worm
What is it about life that we truly treasure?
Let's take a minute and think.

What did you think of?

Imagine there comes a girl into your life, a small girl with brown eyes and brown unruly curls wearing a much too large men's jacket. Momo. This girl has the knack to listen and to play and to make everything in your life more beautiful.

But one day the grey men come. They tell you that you're wasting your time with doing silly things like reading, telling stories,
Tanja Berg
This book has some truly stellar insights, but it does not make up for the fact that it is incredibly childish in places, and quite boring. I would have LOVED this when I was 10 years old. Now, not so much.

Momo, an orphan, makes a home for herslef in an abandoned amphitheater in some unnamed country; I immediately thought of Italy. She gets many friends of all ages because of her unusual abilitiy to listen. After a while Momo and her friends realize that things are changing in the city. It has
Arielle Walker
This anniversary edition is beautiful, the illustrations quirky, the shape, size, cover of the book is lovely and I like the font. I simply dont like this translation anywhere near as much as the one by J.Maxwell Brownjohn. Lucas Zwirner's words somehow lose some of the magic of the first, simplified and less lyrical. It's still a gorgeous book, but I'm happier to read my little paperback for now. Maybe I'll add this to my bookshelf one day just for the sake of having it there.

It really
Stephen
Nov 19, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I owe a debt of gratitude to a good friend for persuading me to read this novel. It is one that I would not have otherwise read, given the general premise and genre. A magical fable. I have one main point of information for you concerning this work that I will pass along right away so that you need not read the remainder of this review to have it. This is an extended fable of extraordinary charm that will captivate a reader of any age level. I can imagine an adult reading this book to a child an ...more
Missy J
The first time I read this was around the time when I started secondary school. I did not remember a single thing of this book. I'm glad to have re-read it, it is full of symbol and still (or maybe even more so) relevant for people today. Really don't know how children/young teenagers are expected to understand this story, but maybe they just enjoy the story for what it is.

Momo is an orphan street girl living in a big city. As far as she can remember, she has always lived there toget
Dov Zeller
Mar 25, 2018 rated it liked it
The first few pages of this book were delightful--just about wondrous. Then it lost its joyful narrative feeling and became a predictable allegorical lecture of sorts. I agree with the message, but the characters seemed to stop deepening and I got bored with the book. Also, the fact that a young girl was beloved because of the emotional labor she was doing on everyone else's behalf was a little worrisome to me. I know it's a fantasy, but I still found that trope a bit troubling.
Basim Mahmoud
Nov 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned

Creativity , Magic realism by eyes of a child !
I will write an article soon , I should do really !

The real writer must hang a signboard saying : My job is to make u taste , hear , feel , my job is to make u see.

To write not to say some words to be learned or repeated only as I understood about the human mind ways for pleasuring and seduction !To be a creator on earth . Simply to grant an body for beautiful ideas .
Andreea Lupei
Apr 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Definitely not a waste of time.
Ellen

A very enjoyable story. I quite liked the whimsical tone and the way Momo interacted with others. This book did make me think about how I use my time and if I'm being too efficient to enjoy other things. My library has this in the adult collection, but it felt more like I was reading a classic children's or young adult book.

Content warning: Some mild language (mostly religious)

2019 challenge: a book recommended by a celebrity you admire (Gerard Way)
Liviania
Aug 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

I'll admit to only being familiar with Michael Ende through the movie version of The Neverending Story. I'd watch it when it came on network television, but I never read the book. Now that that confession is out of the way . . . MOMO made me wish I'd found Ende's books as a child. I'm not saying that I didn't thoroughly enjoy MOMO as an adult, but I would've liked to grow up with this book sitting on my shelf, likely sandwiched between Dahl and L'Engle. I might not have read MOMO in my childhood
Around the World: Germany: Louise recommends Momo 4 49 Dec 26, 2017 06:15AM
Goodreads Librari...: Wrong book ISBN/cover/language 2 17 Nov 22, 2017 06:34AM

• Die kleine Hexe
  • Die rote Zora und ihre Bande
  • Pünktchen und Anton
  • Oh, wie schön ist Panama
  • Eine Woche voller Samstage (Sams, #1)
  • Mio, My Son
  • The Little Vampire
Michael Andreas Helmuth Ende was a German writer of fantasy and children's literature. He was the son of the surrealist painter Edgar Ende.

Ende was one of the most popular and famous German authors of the 20th century, mostly due to the enormous success of his children's books. However, Ende was not strictly a children’s author, as he also wrote books for adults. Ende claimed, "It is f
“...it's like this. Sometimes, when you've a very long street ahead of you, you think how terribly long it is and feel sure you'll never get it swept. And then you start to hurry. You work faster and faster and every time you look up there seems to be just as much left to sweep as before, and you try even harder, and you panic, and in the end you're out of breath and have to stop--and still the street stretches away in front of you. That's not the way to do it.

You must never think of the whole street at once, understand? You must only concentrate on the next step, the next breath, the next stroke of the broom, and the next, and the next. Nothing else.

That way you enjoy your work, which is important, because then you make a good job of it. And that's how it ought to be.

And all at once, before you know it, you find you've swept the whole street clean, bit by bit. what's more, you aren't out of breath. That's important, too...”
330 likes
“People never seemed to notice that, by saving time, they were losing something else. No one cared to admit that life was becoming ever poorer, bleaker and more monotonous. The ones who felt this most keenly were the children, because no one had time for them any more. But time is life itself, and life resides in the human heart. And the more people saved, the less they had.” 235 likes