Start by marking “A Very Brave Witch” as Want to Read:

(A Very Brave Witch #1)

On the far side of town in a big dark house lives a brave little witch. She has heard lots and lots about that very human holiday Halloween, and even though she thinks she knows what humans are like, she has never, ever seen Halloween for herself.

Published August 1st 2006 by Simon Schuster/Paula Wiseman Books (first published January 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about A Very Brave Witch, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Very Brave Witch

Calista
A good book for beginners. This story is about witches and witches are terrified of humans, believe it or not. Still, the witches enjoy dressing up for Halloween. This Halloween, one witch flies over a town where humans live to check it out and she meets and actual human who wants to fly. They become friends. That is the story.

Facing your fears and challenging assumptions your community makes are the issues being dealt with here. Good stuff. The art work is serviceable.

The kids thought this was
Christine
This was a very good book for very young readers. Some really nice and funny pictures too.
Kathryn
A cute "turning the tables" story in which a community of witches is frightened of humans. A little witch (a very brave one, at that) decides that she will fly down to the human community to observe what they are like--from a safe distance, of course! But, when her flight goes awry and she bumps into a REAL HUMAN (OMG!) she will soon find out if the other witches have been right all along, or if perhaps some over-exaggeration was at play.

There is, of course, a great message here in that we shoul
Amber Friel
Jul 23, 2012 rated it it was ok
This book was a definite disappointment. I adore Halloween-inspired children's literature, but this book lacked detail and description. I enjoyed the photos, which had little bits of humor here and there, but they far eclipsed the plot and writing. The story lacked originality and a story-teller's flare that is so essential in keeping the minds of little ones engaged.
Kaethe Douglas
Oct 31, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-aloud
Of the two McGhee books we read last night, this is definitely the one for younger kids. Very friendly and non-scary. Bliss's cat is up to all kinds of amusing stuff.

Library copy
Heather
Oct 29, 2016 rated it it was ok
Abigail
Oct 12, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Readers Looking Halloween Stories for Early Readers
"You might not believe this, but most witches are afraid of humans," proclaims the young narrator of Alison McGhee's A Very Brave Witch. After all, humans are (by all accounts) afraid to fly, never wear pointy hats, don't like to cackle, and worst of all, aren't green-skinned! Luckily, one little witch decides to investigate these strange beings for herself, making her first human friend on Halloween night...

Originally published in 2006, and just reprinted this year (2009) in this cute miniature
jacky
Sep 16, 2010 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: preschool - primaryh
This is our first Halloween book this year from the display at the library. We read it to Natalie at bedtime. She liked the illustrations and watched as I read to her and Mike finished getting her dressed. The length of the story was good for bed time. I thought the story was just okay. It was definitely teaching about tolerance, but it seemed to highlight the fear associated with differences more than I would have liked. To me, it sent confusing messages about stereotypes versus true acceptance ...more
Elle Markov
Apr 26, 2015 rated it liked it
The book was a short read with nice pictures, but, it was lacking in the plot department. The story is about a young witch that doesn't buy into the hype that humans are scary, so one Halloween, she comes down to the town and interacts with children. Striking an immediate friendship with a human girl and exposing her witchy powers. The story felt too rushed and lacked anything meaty to give it substance.

Rating 3 out of 5
Read@Book
Alexandria
Oct 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I can't explain it, but I love books that show a monster's/witch's world from their point of view. This book starts out like a cuter version of Halloweentown and that never fails to go well when I'm the one reading! I also love stories about overcoming your biases and getting to know people instead of stereotyping. This book has both and cute art to boot!
Meredith
A little witch, accompanied by her orange tabby cat, defied witch conventions and refuses to be scared of humans even though they don't have green skin, are afraid to fly, don't wear pointy hats, and can't cackle. Then while trying to get a closer look on Halloween, she crashes her broom and makes her first human friend.

Sweet birghtly colored illustrations with simple text.
Ann Keller
Nov 12, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s
I liked this book, because it teaches children that despite their differences (and fears), if they just reach out, they may find a friend. Very useful concept in our modern age.
Nancy Kotkin
A curious young witch flies to town to investigate the human holiday called Halloween. When she comes face-to-face with a human for the first time, both the witch and the human must overcome the prejudices they have been taught. A sweet story, but the resolution comes about too quickly, even for a picture book. The illustrations add much entertainment value and humor.
Andrea
Oct 29, 2016 rated it did not like it
Sep 21, 2018 rated it liked it
The story is sweet and simple, but the best part of this one is all the extras you see if you pay attention to the illustrations!
Stephanie
Sep 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
A really liked reading this, this week. I wasn't a huge fan, but she thought they were funny and cute.
John
Sep 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I like this book because most people are not afraid to fly on witches' brooms because everyone likes flying on witches' brooms. So the witch talks about green, like, in the whole story because she likes talking about the green, I guess. And she has a newspaper on one of the pages.
Gabrielle Blockton
Date: October 12th, 2014

Author: Alison McGhee; Illustrations by Harry Bliss

Title: A Very Brave Witch

Plot: A young witch whose is afraid of humans goes out on Halloween, her favorite holiday of the year. When she gets in an accident with a tree, she is befriended by a human girl who has a desire to fly.

Setting: Witches house, small neighborhood - Halloween Night

Characters: A Very Brave Witch, A young girl dressed as a witch

Point-of-View: First-Person

Theme: What seems different is more like th
Mikayla
Apr 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
This story is told from the perspective of a witch on a Halloween day. This young witch lives far from town in a dark scary house with a "keep put" sign chained across the entrance. Halloween is her favorite holiday and this year, she wants to investigate the human community. She grew up being told that humans were scary because they weren't like them - green. So, she took her broom stick and rode down into town to see it for herself. While her ride takes a turn for the worse, the young and brav ...more
Mary
Jun 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A little witch does some research and decides to venture out and see what humans are really like. The older witches are afraid of humans, because they don't have green skin like they do! But the little witch discovers that humans can come on fun adventures, too, when she meets a little girl who wants to fly.

The writing is simple and fun. Smaller messages and bits of fun text are found throughout the book, so more accomplished readers can explore a little more. It was a cute story and the artwo
Sarah Kasper
Mar 19, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: language-arts
I really like the story, "A Very Brave Witch." I would use this book to introduce a lesson on different ways that writers write. The story is written in thought and word bubbles. As a lesson, I would have students listen to the story and then after discussing the reasons why the author might have written this way, the students would write their own story using word bubbles. Students will enjoy this book because it is funny and easy to read. An obvious choice as well would be to read this story d ...more
Theresa
Oct 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A Very Brave Witch
by Alison McGhee, Harry Bliss (Illustrator)
This is a cute story that I had the opportunity to share with the kindergarten class, a little witch does not understand why people are scary. She is the only one who has the guts to find out what is so scary. She goes to meet the humans during Halloween trick or treating. She miss understands what the kids say and finds out that humans are not so scary. This book is fun with a Frenchmen accent. \
Jenna
Sep 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing
A Very Brave Witch is a wonderful Halloween tale. The witch in the story explains how witches are afraid of humans, but really humans are scared of witches. This story teaches a lesson on how feelings may seem mutual, but once you step outside your box; everything isn't as it seems. This would be great for read alouds because the author sets up questions within the story that prompts the audience to wonder.
Cassie
Jul 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-book
PERFECT for Halloween.

One little witch lives on the outside of town, and her favorite human holiday is Halloween. She has heard lots and lots about it, but has never experienced it for herself. Until one very special Halloween...

I love the author, Alison McGhee, and the illustrator, Harry Bliss!
Pam
Oct 29, 2017 rated it it was ok
While this book might be good for younger kids, it lacks complexity of story line and illustrations that would make children and adults return to the book again and again. Its cute but very fleeting.
Sarah Wiwchar
Oct 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Kindergarten-Grade 3
Shelves: read-with-kids
Akoss
Oct 01, 2017 rated it it was ok
Eh. This was just ok.
Also it can potentially offend someone who is actually Wicca.
Michelle
May 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Cute but ended abruptly.
Shiloah
A bit choppy to read aloud, but cute. Great illustrations!
Mely
Oct 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Who doesn't love a Halloween book? This is an adorable story about friendship and witches. The illustrations are just too cute.
« previous 1 3 next »

• Little Goblins Ten
  • The Very Best Pumpkin
  • Pumpkin Cat
  • Fancy Nancy Halloween... or Bust!
  • Dear Vampa
  • Just Say Boo!
  • Happy Halloween, Little Critter! (The New Adventures of Mercer Mayer's Little Critter)
  • The Fierce Yellow Pumpkin
  • Sixteen Runaway Pumpkins
  • The 13 Nights of Halloween
  • Five Little Pumpkins
  • Where's My Mummy?
Alison McGhee writes novels, picture books, poems, and essays for all ages, including the forthcoming novel Never Coming Back (out in October 2017) and the #1 NEW YORK TIMES bestseller SOMEDAY, illustrated by Peter H. Reynolds. Her work has been translated into more than 20 languages. She lives in Minneapolis, California and Vermont.

A Very Brave Witch (2 books)
  • The Sweetest Witch Around
“You might not believe this, but most witches are afraid of humans.”
‘Did she say…humans?’
“Why? Because…Well…
Humans aren’t green like us.
I’m not afraid, though. I’ve done my research. Here are the facts. Strange but true:”

Most humans are afraid to fly.
Most humans do not wear point hats.
Humans are rarely known to cackle.

“Nothing too bad, except, you know…the green thing.”
0 likes
“It’s time for this brave witch to take a closer look. Hang on, Kitty, we’re going in!
Listen…What’s that I hear those humans saying? “Trick a tree”?
No one can trick a tree like me!”

SWOOP. VROOM. ZOOM.

“YIKES!”

“Are you okay?”
‘A REAL human!’
“Sweet costume!”

“That was quite a spill.”
‘I’m being touched by a human hand!!’
“I’ve always dreamed of flying…”
‘Flying??’

“Have I got a treat for you!
Hop on!”

“Some witches, the very brave ones, are not afraid of humans.”
“And some humans, the very brave ones, are not afraid to fly.”
0 likes