Start by marking “The Diamond Throne (The Elenium, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Diamond Throne (The Elenium, #1)

The Diamond Throne

(The Elenium #1)

After a long spell of exile, Sparhawk, Pandion Knight and the Queen's champion returns to his native land to find it overrun with evil and intrigue - and his young queen grievously ill. Indeed, Ehlana lies magically entombed within a block of crystal, doomed to die unless a cure can be found within a year.
Published April 22nd 1989 by Del Rey (first published 1989)

To ask other readers questions about The Diamond Throne, please sign up.
Christophe For romance, you have to wait for the second book and the third. In the first, it is true that there is little romance. It is mostly about chivalry,…moreFor romance, you have to wait for the second book and the third. In the first, it is true that there is little romance. It is mostly about chivalry, setting the world, the plot and the characters.
If you want romance though (not only for that because this is a great book for several reasons), it is worth to read this cycle in its entirety.(less)

Start your review of The Diamond Throne (The Elenium, #1)
Dirk Grobbelaar
Dec 27, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own, fantasy
'You'd better get ready to ride, Sparhawk.'

Meet Sparhawk: Pandion Knight and Queen’s Champion. If this were D&D his character class would likely be Paladin; he can cast spells, but mostly prefers to just chop off heads with his considerable broadsword.

Sparhawk is a bit of a bad-ass. So is his horse, Faran.

'It's the Queen's Champion. Don't ever stand in his way.'

I fairly devoured this novel in short order. Sparhawk has a zero tolerance approach to BS which is immensely ref/>'It's
Jim
I've probably read this 4 or 5 times. It's fun, entertaining & amusing. I liked this first trilogy better than the second (Tamuli) but both are good if you're looking for something quick, light & entertaining.

Sparhawk is a great character, a battered knight, but his horse Faran is my favorite. It's nice to see a horse as a character. More authors should do this.
Suzanne (Under the Covers Book blog)
David Eddings' Belgariad series is what first gave me my love of reading, especially of fantasy, so I always have a soft spot for anything he has written and this book is no exception. Although I think the Belgariad is better I thoroughly enjoyed this book.

Sir Sparhawk, a Knight of the Pandion order has returened to Elenia after 10 years of being exciled to find that the young queen, Ehlena, is sick and dying, betrayed by a corrupt Churchman who has lofty ambitions and her bastard cousin. It is
Denise
Jan 02, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: lovers of High Fantasy series who are willing to sit through a slow opening novel
Shelves: fantasy, reread
David Eddings is comfort reading of the highest order (okay, I will admit that I stopped reading him after a certain point, but this series was before that point, so!); I'd reread all of the rest of this series in December, and all of the followup series (The Tamuli), but my copy of this one had taken a walkabout, so I had to backfill and re-read the first one last.

Eddings writes High Fantasy (with Capital Letters, even), with all the tropes and archetypes thereof -- there aren't any
Christopher
Jan 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Kathryn Ford
The Diamond Throne is the first book in the Elenium series, and trust me it is amazing! It is followed by The Ruby Knight and The Sapphire Rose. This is possibly one of my most favourite books! I love absolutely everything about it! I could write pages and pages on how brilliant this book is, but since that would take you too long to read and I would land up giving to much away, I’ve tried my best to explain why this book is so fantastic.
David Eddings is more well known for his Bolgariad s
Boingboing
Jun 19, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Stating this upfront. It's not genius writing. The characters are two dimensional and perfect. They look perfect (except for when they have a feature that turns them from perfect to unique), they act perfect, their motives are noble and honorable, except for the villains who twirl their mustaches and laugh at their maniacalness.

Okay, maybe not quite that bad but it's close. Every cliche that could be hit seemed like it was.

No it didn't wrap up the main conflict. There don't seem to
Michael Cairns
I’m cheating here a little bit because this is a three book series, but it seems a little redundant to only talk about the first one, so please view this review as being for all three.
David Eddings is one of the great masters of the quest fantasy. What Tolkien started many, many authors have run with, though few as successfully or just generally as satisfyingly as Eddings.
The Elenium focuses on a Knight called Sparhawk and his travels to save his young and very beautiful queen, who is enc
Kitvaria Sarene
Solid fantasy novel.
Interesting world, characters and plot.
Something was missing for me though. I couldn't place my finger on what exactly, but it was not as good as Sandersons books for example. Especially the dialogues seemed a bot lacking in a way.
The main character is a great and funny one anyway, so if you're on the lookout for a new series, and already read through most of the genre, this might still be a nice change while waiting for the next favorites.
Jacob
Jul 15, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, from_library
I remember this series very fondly, but I think I enjoyed it more as a teenager. It's still a good read, but the plot is a bit too "go here; chase clue; repeat". Subtlety is not Eddings' strong point. Like On Basilisk Station, the humor is a bit too on-the-nose, the protagonists are a bit too capable, and the author relishes showing antagonists getting their comeuppance. The story very much doesn't stand on its own (which has become a pet peeve of mine). And the prologue is a fictitious legend that runs ...more
Jacob Aitken
Nov 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, heroism
This is either my 3rd or 4th reading. Admittedly, it has some of the flaws of most of Eddings' work: the characters are chuckleheads and the plot usually revolves around...well, I won't spoil it but you can probably figure it out.

However, there are some marked improvements (and in the realm of general fantasy it is better than most).

1. Sparhawk is infinitely superior to Garion.
2. The bad guys are far more interesting than in the Belgariad. Azash is truly something t
Jim
Not the correct edition. Mine is an old library copy from cassette tapes. The sound quality kind of sucked, but I've read the book in paper several times, so it wasn't a huge deal.

This is a simple story, a fun romp, that doesn't take itself too seriously. It's an interesting world with a neat system of magic & a definite goal. The characters are pretty standard, but their dialog makes them more interesting. I love that Faran, Sparhawk's horse, plays such a great role.

Amber M. McCarter
I suspect that the high regard in which I held Edding's writing had more to do with the context of my life at the time that I initially discovered his work (starved for distraction) because... this, at least, really wasn't very good. And filled with disparaging and unnecessary references toward women. It is possible that this is just the very worst of his efforts, but... I think I'll have to stand by the past tense "held," in my opening sentence, as far as that high regard is concerned.
Elizabeth Wallace
Jun 20, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
The dialog in this book is probably the best thing about it. Eddings has a WONDERFUL talent with snappy remarks and clever comebacks. I remember when I first read it, reading bits aloud to my sister. "But ThPARhawk" he lisped. "You know how thatin thpoths when it geths wet!!"

Yeah, probably doesn't mean much to you, but trust me, it was hilarious.

It's a true fantasy novel, with knights and magic and battles and the works. Definitely my favorite Eddings novel.

That being sa
Jak
Jun 19, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Diamond Throne starts the Elenium trilogy and centre around the hero Sir Sparhawk who is the exiled Queen’s champion from an order of knights who are trained in magic as they are combat. On returning from exile Sparhawk finds that his queen has been poisoned and her power usurped by the corrupt head of the Elenian church. However the sorceress Serephina has encased the queen in diamond in order to delay the effects of the poison and buy Sparhawk time to find a cure.

Sparhawk sets about gathe
Jimmy
May 31, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone
Reread this book for what may be the sixth or seventh time. It's a day read, potato chip craving that somehow moves beyond.

This book has the elements I cherish most. It has plot, pacing, action, and character development. If you are a slow reader the book may lack urgency.

Sparhawk is a three-dimensional character, not the best but far from the worst. You get to know the first few characters in the starter and the plot presents equally appealing dual conflicts.

If you haven't read an
Sep 17, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2014
This is the beginning of a new edding series and I am not as hooked as I was with the prior series of his.

Plot line is ok so far.

Characters are brilliant. I love sparhawk and Kuriks constant bickering, like an old married couple.

Just not as gripped by this as I was before with eddings. Still good just not great.

I will perservere!
Nikki
Jun 04, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, romance
Eddings basically repeats the same plot over and over again. I'm particularly attached to Sparhawk, so I didn't mind at all.
itchy
Aug 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: w
lillias rocks the denouement
Yahaira
Sep 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
4.5 ok, so it's kinda formulaic, but the characters and their dialogues are just so utterly charming, I wasn't immune. On to The Ruby Knight!
Emmy Neal
Jan 23, 2019 rated it liked it
THIS. WAS. ALL. SETUP. AND. NO. ONE. WARNED. ME.
Jarek "the Mistborn" Dąbrowski
Very nice classic fantasy. Sparhawk seems an interesting pov character and the supporting cast does well also. Interesting premise that i think has more to it then we are told at this point. magic system is interesting but i want to know more about it:)
Curious as to how this will unravel in the next book. For me it had everything apart from the"wow" factor that for me turns a book into a 5 star rating:)
Will be continuing this series
Tom Hansen
An exiled knight returns after 10 years to find his queen deathly ill and encased in magic stone in order to prolong her life. He sets out on a highly political and violent quest to rout out who is behind her mysterious illness and thwart those people that would want to usurp her throne.

I enjoyed this book. It wasn’t earth-shattering, but it was a fun read. It was also a fast-read. I made it through it’s 435 pages in 6 hours or so.

What enjoyed the most would be some of th
Wastrel
On the one hand, I want to give credit to Eddings for trying to write this. He went from family-friendly bestselling non-Tolkien epic fantasy author of all time (at the time) to, immediately, a dark and brutal semi-noir proto-grimdark story about church politics, drenched in sex (albeit off-screen) and blood and elder gods and incest and pederasty and fountains of blood and ethnic cleansing and blood. And when I was eight, I loved it, although given his massive decline in sales apparently a lot ...more
Teri-K
Sep 24, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: scifi-fantasy
The most I can say about this right now is:

First, the story is not tied up at the end of this book. Not in any way. (I've read this before but forgot that fact.) I got to the end and actually went, "Wait a minute. What???"
Second, do yourself a favor and don't listen to the audiobook. If you must listen you can speed the narrator up to a more human sound, but still I'd recommend avoiding it all together.

It gets 3 stars because I remember liking it fairly well when I
Daphne (Illumicrate)
4.5 stars. That ending is great! Eddings writes spectacular characters as always and finally the plot is thickening. Sparhawk is a really likeable character. Although there are still shades of Belgariad/Malloreon characters in all of the other characters, it might just be because I've missed them all.
David
Read this many years ago, and ended up skimming the second half. I could see why Eddings has such a poor reputation: the writing was boring and the characters were caricatures, with flat dialog and a generic Epic Fantasy Quest plot. I've never been tempted to read anything by Eddings since.
Landon
Mar 01, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: epic-fantasy
Not a ground-breaking fantasy, and definitely reminiscent of the Belgariad. But it's good, nostolgic, David Eddings fun, so it gets a 4 in my book.
Brynn
Jul 21, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, adventure
I asked someone to buy me this book in grade seven, if memory serves. I had read and loved Eddings' other series The Belgariad by that point- Pawn of Prophecy was the first novel I ever read by myself, giving it a special, permanent place in my heart - and I was eager to read something else from the guy who, at the time, was my favorite fantasy writer (and the only one I knew, which would be why). I read maybe a third of The Diamond Throne before realizing I didn't care; and I stuffed it, disapp ...more
Roger Keays
It's my own fault. I picked up The Diamond Throne because of my fond memories of reading The Belgariad as a teenager. In my own defense, I can only hope that Eddings' earlier work was better than his latter. Despite getting through four hundred pages of The Diamond Throne, I couldn't muster enough patience to get through the last few chapters. The characters are shallow, the plot circular, and the only notable themes are racism, religious tripe, and the type of avarice which you expect to find in nearly all antagonis ...more
Should I? 24 36 Jun 28, 2019 04:00AM
What's the Name o...: SOLVED. Fantasy-warrior priest/mage, his goddess becomes a girl that he unknowingly "adopts". [s] 4 27 Oct 23, 2018 11:56PM
Which series is your favorite? 11 57 May 07, 2014 07:53AM
Silver Stag Book ...: The Diamond Throne by David Eddings 1 5 Feb 23, 2014 05:09PM

• The Scions of Shannara (Heritage of Shannara, #1)
  • Rage of a Demon King (The Serpentwar Saga, #3)
  • Krondor: The Betrayal (The Riftwar Legacy, #1)
  • The Will of the Wanderer (Rose of the Prophet, #1)
  • The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant, the Unbeliever (The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever, #1-3)
  • Daughter of the Empire (The Empire Trilogy, #1)
  • Shadow of a Dark Queen (The Serpentwar Saga, #1)
  • Rise of a Merchant Prince (The Serpentwar Saga, #2)
  • Magician: Apprentice (The Riftwar Saga, #1)
  • Dragonlance Chronicles (Dragonlance #1-3)
  • Dragon Prince (Dragon Prince, #1)
  • Forging the Darksword (The Darksword Trilogy #1)
  • Camber of Culdi (The Legends of Camber of Culdi, #1)
  • Dune: The Gateway Collection (Dune Chronicles #1-6)
  • Elric of Melniboné and Other Stories (Elric Chronological Order, #1)
  • The Eternal Champion (Erekosë, #1)
  • The Dark Elf Trilogy Collector's Edition (Forgotten Realms: Dark Elf Trilogy, #1-3; Legend of Drizzt, #1-3)
  • Daggerspell (Deverry, #1)
David Eddings was an American author who wrote several best-selling series of epic fantasy novels. David Eddings' wife, Leigh Eddings , was an uncredited co-author on many of his early books, but he had later acknowledged that she contributed to them all.

David Eddings' first books (which were general fiction) sold moderately well. He later switched to writing epic fantasy, a field in which h

The Elenium (3 books)
  • The Ruby Knight (The Elenium, #2)
  • The Sapphire Rose (The Elenium, #3)
“Its a perfectly good face, Sparhawk."
"It covers the front of my head. What else can you expect from a face?”
76 likes
“I want a sword not a knitting needle
-Kalen ”