Start by marking “Death of a Cave Dweller (Chief Inspector Woodend, #3)” as Want to Read:
Death of a Cave Dweller (Chief Inspector Woodend, #3)

Death of a Cave Dweller (Chief Inspector Woodend #3)

3.63  ·  Rating details ·  91 Ratings  ·  7 Reviews
When Eddie Barnes is electrocuted on stage in front of 300 adoring fans, the Liverpool Police immediately call in Scotland Yard, which means calling in the Yard's resident expert Chief Inspector Charlie Woodend. But for once Woodend feels out of his depth.
Published June 1st 2000 by Severn House Publishers

To ask other readers questions about Death of a Cave Dweller, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Death of a Cave Dweller

Janet
Aug 05, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a period piece and a very interesting one. The plot may be a bit hackneyed but the characters are well developed and either likable or real jerks. (I count the Liverpool police among the most unlikable; even the murderer wasn't that bad!) I marvel at the advances in views on the blind since them and I look forward to Bob Rutter's becoming more enlightened. I like Charlie Woodend and I look forward to more of his investigations.
Kb
This is the third book in the series and I haven't had opportunity to read the second yet. Consequently I am missing the details of some developments in the life of sidekick Bob Rutter. That aside, I found this book a quick and entertaining read, though only an average mystery novel. It starts to get annoyingly hackneyed (I could do without the nickname "Cloggin'-it Charlie" appearing so often, or at all really). Some parts of the story are quite predictable -- the connection between the club ow ...more
Marilyn Shea
Jul 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
A murder mystery that takes place in Liverpool in the Cavern Club, with a band that had lately played in Hamburg--a familiar scene to any Beatles' fan. But it was a pure Charlie Woodend mystery, with him clumping into the rock and roll world like a hippo at the butterfly pavilion. What seemed at first to be an unsolvable crime is carefully teased out by Cloggin' it Charlie who has a nose for finding and discarding red herrings. First rate.
Marina Sinelnikova
Jun 28, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mysteries
Well, clearly I like these books if I finished three in less than a week... this one is set in the Liverpool of the early Beatles and continues to be pleasant and engrossing (I think I guessed some things because of the Beatles analogy, even though the group in the center of the story is pointedly not The Beatles, which are stated to be in Hamburg right now).
David
Apr 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle
A bit old fashioned, with "Bee-Hive" hair styles for the ladies but still a good read.
Kate
Mar 02, 2009 rated it liked it
This is an average mystery, nothing special. Takes place in Liverpool before the Beatles were a sensation, so it is slightly interesting for that look at the music scene at such a crucial time...
Jody Hamilton
Always glad to read an Inspector Charlie Woodend mystery!
Tommy Wheeler
May 31, 2016
Shirley Mannynvali
Jul 05, 2017
« previous 1 3 4 next »
A pseudonym used by Alan Rustage.
Sally Spencer is a pen name, first adopted when the author (actually called Alan Rustage) was writing sagas and it was almost obligatory that a woman's name appeared on the cover (other authors like Emma Blair and Mary Jane Staples are also men).

Before becoming a full-time writer, he was a teacher. In 1978-79 he was working in Iran and witnessed the fall of the Sha
More about Sally Spencer

Chief Inspector Woodend (1 - 10 of 20 books)
  • The Salton Killings (Chief Inspector Woodend, #1)
  • Murder at Swann's Lake (Chief Inspector Woodend, #2)
  • The Dark Lady (Chief Inspector Woodend, #4)
  • The Golden Mile to Murder (Chief Inspector Woodend, #5)
  • Dead on Cue (Chief Inspector Woodend, #6)
  • The Red Herring (Chief Inspector Woodend, #7)
  • Death of an Innocent (Chief Inspector Woodend, #8)
  • The Enemy Within (Chief Inspector Woodend, #9)
  • A Death Left Hanging (Chief Inspector Woodend, #10)
  • The Witch Maker (Chief Inspector Woodend, #11)