Start by marking “The Farmer's Wife Sampler Quilt: Letters from 1920s Farm Wives and the 111 Blocks They Inspired” as Want to Read:

Be Inspired by the Stories

The 1922, The Farmer's Wife magazine posed this question to their readers: "If you had a daughter of marriageable age, would you, in light of your own experience, have her marry a farmer?" The magazine at the time had 750,000 subscribers, and received over 7,000 letters. The best answers to this question are included in this book, along with the

Published October 9th 2009 by Krause Publications (first published 2009)

JayeL
Jul 24, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: quilt, 2013, own
I like all block dictionaries. I like them because I can always find a new block and each new block starts me on a fun creative spiral. The Farmer's Wife Sampler Quilt: 55 Letters and the 111 Blocks they Inspired is no exception and it includes letters! I love letters even reading other people's letters!

The introduction is called The Changing American Culture of the 1920s and discusses "a time of political and technological changes." It is an interesting and tantalizing way to begin a quilt boo
Joy
Sep 20, 2011 rated it liked it
I learned about this book by the quilt-alongs that it has inspired online and in various quilt guilds across the country, and finally picked it up a few weeks ago. The book consists of letters from farm wives answering the question "Would you have your daughter marry a farmer?" for a contest held by The Farmer's Wife magazine in 1922. The letters are a window onto the past, with many common themes resonating throughout the overwhelming consensus that yes, most farmer's wives would indeed hope fo ...more
Dec 03, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: history
I picked this up in a charity shop for the letters, no interest in the quilt. The letters are a bit repetitive and if they were all there was to the book it would be a two star. However the quilt looks pretty and the instructions seem clear so moving it to three stars for that. The letters could really have done with having the original article asking the question printed. Some of the letters are so similar in subject you feel they must be answering specific points asked and it would be nice to ...more
Loni
Oct 12, 2018 rated it liked it
I bought this book primarily for the quilt square samples and instructions, but I found myself intrigued with the book's other contents. Letters written during the 1920's from farmer wives are featured alongside the quilt block photos. The letters are a brilliant gateway into the past and talk of what was present to the women and their families. It was a fun read to take along and read at leisure.
Paula Montgomery
May 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
The many blocks are great to see, but the letters make the book special.
Jec
Mar 19, 2017 rated it did not like it
although there was a nice variety of blocks, i gave this only 1 star because of the lack of directions or at least cutting measurements. that was a real disservice to quilters buying this book. i would think twice before purchase and get it from the library instead to enjoy it.
Asuka0278
Jan 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
I've scored this book higher here than I did on amazon. Mainly because my original review on amazon got a response from the author. Here is the exchange in its entirety:

"Measurements for templates PLEASE?!?!, March 14, 2012
By asuka0278

I was really really excited about making this quilt. Then I realized I had to use templates. I decided to give it a go anyway because I really want to do this quilt. I hate the templates. I don't like using them at all. I don't understand what is so hard about say
Mel
Aug 26, 2011 rated it liked it
The book contains letters written to The Farmer's Wife magazine in 1922 saying why or why not they would want their daughters to marry a farmer. The reasons were interesting and still relevant today. There were only a few letters that had the slang of those days that reminded me of the times in which the letters were written. A lot of the women also had experience living in both the city and the farm life and though the city women look down on them, the women pity the city women for not having t ...more
Kimberly Snyder
Oct 22, 2016 rated it liked it
While this was fun to read, and I loved the stories famers' wives had to share in the 30's, this quilt was way outside of my range. There were no measurements or cutting templates or anything. I found a website with some cutting instructions for these blocks, but it just isn't worth it. Way too complicated. I'll be looking for another sampler to work on.

One sad thing about the stories: the top three entries from the essay contest weren't included in this book!! What a disappointment!! I want to
Shani Sherry
Dec 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I love reading this book, mainly because I love history and this book scratches that itch. If you're looking for easy piercing techniques,b it's not here. These blocks are pieces by template. I appreciate the historical nature of the book and CD, but I would like modern quilting measurements and cutting. If you hand piece, pick this book up. The templates are accurate and helpful. You'll have a block together in no time.
Tkjtwmr
Dec 13, 2013 rated it liked it
Although not a "page turner", this was an interesting book. The wives made very compelling arguments for having their daughters' marry farmers. Real embrace of technology here. I would think, that for the most part, these were well-educated and fairly prosperous farmer's wives. The articulation of the letters was amazing. It was fun to see which quilt blocks were assigned to each wife. I am going to mark a few of my favourites and hopefully use my scraps to make some up into a lap quilt.
Miz Mockingbird
Oct 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
I'm not a quilter, so both block patterns and illustrative CD mean little to me. The letters themselves, written by country women in the throes of the 1930s Great Depression, are always interesting and often inspiring. They provide a thumping depression-check for any country girl feeling oppressed by poverty and the times.
Sara
Oct 12, 2011 rated it really liked it
So the quilt is nice enough; a sampler of traditional blocks. I wasn't really inspired to make it. But the letters are fantastic, and by far the best reason to read this book -- well written, and a fascinating glimpse into the lives of farm wives in the 1920s.
Angela Keller
Feb 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful book with letters from these women - any of them could have been my great grandmothers! I loved the stories and also it comes with a CD and templates for making a beautiful quilt in any size!
Joan54
Mar 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed reading about the farmers wife's who lived in the 1920's and why they wished their daughters to marry farmers like they did.
And there are plenty of 6" block patterns to choose from if you enjoy traditional sampler quilts.
Autumn Kern
Mar 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I am currently working on this quilt- the blocks are gorgeous, and the stories that go along with the blocks are wonderful, as well.
Maureen
Jan 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: quilting
A 2013 Christmas present from Nathan and Courtney.
Heidi Schaap
Jul 14, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Love this book. Not only beautiful quilt blocks, but very interesting to read the entries from a Farm journal essay contest, circa 1920. Inspiring read, inspiring quilt!
Kaleena Menke
Dec 14, 2009 marked it as to-read
Mom is going to love this for her b-day present.
Julie
Jan 16, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: quilting
Charming. Comes with a CD with templates for all the blocks and assembly diagrams for four different quilt sizes.
Karen
Apr 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
My latest obsession!!! This is absolutely beautiful - 26 blocks done, 75 to go!! Love, love, love it.
Beth
Amy Defa
Dec 25, 2016
Jan W. Mc
Aug 09, 2014
  • The Practical Guide to Patchwork: New Basics for the Modern Quiltmaker: 12 Quilt Projects
  • Quilts from the House of Tula Pink: 20 Fabric Projects to Make, Use and Love
  • Quilting with a Modern Slant: People, Patterns, and Techniques Inspiring the Modern Quilt Community
  • Layer Cake, Jelly Roll and Charm Quilts
  • Embroidery Companion: Classic Designs for Modern Living
  • Sylvia's Bridal Sampler from ELM Creek Quilts-Print on Demand Edition: The True Story Behind the Quilt - 140 Traditional Blocks
  • Sock Yarn One-Skein Wonders: 101 Patterns That Go Way Beyond Socks!
  • Quilting For Dummies
  • Zakka Style-Print-On-Demand-Edition: 24 Projects Stitched with Ease to Give, Use & Enjoy
  • Improv Sewing: A Freeform Approach to Creative Techniques; 101 Fast, Fun, and Fearless Projects: Dresses, Tunics, Scarves, Skirts, Accessories, Pillows, Curtains, and More
  • Fa la la la Felt: 45 Handmade Holiday Decorations
  • Oliver + S Little Things to Sew: 20 Classic Accessories and Toys for Children
  • Sunday Morning Quilts: 16 Modern Scrap Projects Sort, Store, and Use Every Last Bit of Your Treasured Fabrics
  • Doodle Stitching: the motif collection
  • The Fleece & Fiber Sourcebook
  • How to Make Sewing Patterns
  • Circular Knitting Workshop: Essential Techniques to Master Knitting in the Round
  • Material Obsession: Modern Quilts with Traditional Roots