Start by marking “Abducted” as Want to Read:
Abducted

Abducted

3.97  ·  Rating details ·  331 Ratings  ·  33 Reviews
In 1999, at the tender age of ten, Charlene Lunnon and Lisa Hoodless were snatched as they walked to school. Over the next week, they were held captive, tortured, raped and almost killed. News of the girls' disappearance dominated the headlines, and the entire country held its breath, praying for their safe return as a massive police hunt failed to turn up any clues.
But t
Published August 6th 2009 by Penguin

Natalie Vellacott
Aug 30, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: biography
I picked this book up at a neighbour's garage sale because the offences occurred in Sussex where I used to work as a police officer. Also because I am interested in missing persons cases.

Charlene Lunnon and Lisa Hoodless were abducted by paedophile Alan Hopkinson in 1999. They were located by 'chance' when the police attended the address they were being held in to make enquiries about other sexual offences against children. They had been subjected to terrible abuse for 4 days.

The girls tell the
Sabrina Rutter
Jan 17, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I can't tell you how much the cover of this book bothered me. I know that might seem strange since it's only a picture of the girls faces, but everytime I looked at it Lisa's eyes kept staring at me over the word abducted and it was as if I were looking at my own daughters face above that word. Her eyes and eyebrows are identical to my own daughters to the point that these two could pass for sisters if not twins. I showed my daughter the picture and asked her who does this look like, she gasped ...more
chucklesthescot
I remember the publicity about this case on TV at the time when the two 10 year old girls went missing. Lisa and Charlene were 10 and on the way to school when a paedophile grabbed Lisa and threw her into his car boot and a scared Charlene agreed to go along to look after her friend. Over the next few days the girls were locked in his flat and continually raped day and night while they waited for rescue.
This book would scare parents across the country. The girls tell their story of before, duri
Salima
Jun 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was a really difficult book to read, and I was repeatedly brought to tears. Abducted is about the real-life case of two kidnapped girls and their horrific ordeal. What truly sickened me was the way in which their abductor constantly apologised to the girls, he knew that what he was doing was wrong, but he did it anyway. I'm heartbroken for the girls, and pray that they find peace in their futures.
Vicki
Sep 23, 2012 rated it really liked it
Every parents worst nightmare. This book written by one of the girls some years later told the story of how her and her best friend both aged 10 were abducted & tortured. It tells of their ordeal and their rescue and their attempt at moving on.
Beth
Feb 15, 2013 rated it really liked it
so glad they are out there living their happy ending

good luck girls

a
Mar 10, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
the story of two ten year old girls abducted by a paedophile. a true story told by the protagonists
Rosaria Sgarlata

L'uomo non ha né amici né un lavoro. Vive solo, in uno squallido appartamento sopra un centro commerciale. Il suo unico interesse sono le belle bambine...

Scrivere questa recensione non è così facile come si potrebbe supporre. Storie di questo tipo se ne sente parlare fin troppo spesso ma mai vorresti saperne più del necessario. Anzi, chiudere gli occhi e tapparsi le orecchie davanti a queste storie sarebbe la cosa migliore da fare. Già di per sé le storie di stupro nei confronti di donne adult

Ina
Mar 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Een waargebeurd verhaal over Charlene en Lisa die ontvoerd werden. Het verhaal wordt verteld in de versie van enerzijds Charlene en anderzijds Lisa. Hoe kunnen we nu 5 sterren geven aan zo'n verschrikkelijk, gruwelijke gebeurtenis. Nee de 5 sterren gaan naar de moed en de wilskracht van de 2 meisjes die naar buiten zijn gekomen met hun verhaal en niet zo oppervlakkig ook. Er wordt echt wel erg in detail getreden dat je haar ervan recht komt.
Mirjam Penning
Feb 11, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: true-crime
In a way it feels weird to rate this book as 'I really like it'.
Because
When I read this book I didn't realise I would read their ordeal in such graphic details. What a horrible four days these then ten year old girls had to endure. I've never had come across a book with this subject that described the details in the manner Charlene Lunnon did. I hadn't expected that. Of course, one can imagine what children go through when abducted and abused by a predatory paedophile, but to actually read it in
claudia
Sep 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
this book is one of my favourite true crime book that i've read but it is one of the most graphic and disturbing. charlene and lisa give full, explicit details of every interaction they had with their abductor. it was very confronting to read, especially because the story is written in child-like language, like they are telling the story as their 10 year old selves. even the cover of the book is haunting. their eyes on the cover show their youth and innocence and then you read the book and see t ...more
Tara
Apr 25, 2011 rated it it was ok
The book is a good read if you're into real crime stories but make it an early read. After a while of reading these types of books you start to want to know more, not of their ordeal but how they survived in the aftermath - at least if the book captures you enough to want to.

There are a few redeeming factors of this run-of-the-mill true life story. 1. You have 2 narrative voices. A simple difference but it's nice to have two perspectives of the same event.
2. It does delve into what happened post
Jun 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
This book grabbed my attention from the back cover. I was interested to see that the book was written through the narrative of both the girls and their perspective of the same events. Both of the these young girls have had to live through so much not just in the few days they were kept but before and after. The girls acknowledge throughout the book how hard their parents and family were affected by what happened.

I know that some people may have read this and wanted to know more about the case an
Patricia
Apr 07, 2011 rated it it was ok
Those of us of a 'certain age' probably remember years ago there used to be a magazine called "True Story"? When I was very young, I thought this magazine was racey. That's what this book reminded me of, a True Story article. Seemed like it was written by a 12 year old girl and not real well written at that. These 2 young girls were kidnapped and raped, but their story failed to invoke a lot of sympathetic feelings in me. Yes it was awful what happened to them, but their story could have been ha ...more
Rebecca Haslam
Mar 10, 2011 rated it liked it
Anytime a child is snatched and some cruel person abuses them in any way, shape or form, it's always horrific.
Abducted tells the first hand accounts of two ten year old girls snatched on their way to school and their painful road to recover from the events that unfolded during the time they were taken.

Many people complain that their childhoods were difficult or that they didn't like how they grew up - I urge those people to read this book and then think themselves lucky that what happens in this
Saskia
May 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Wat een geweldig goed boek is dit! Erg indrukwekkend om over de ontvoering van Charlene en Lisa te lezen. Ik vind de manier waarop ze het vertellen ook erg prettig, het is in tegenstelling tot sommige andere waargebeurde verhalen totaal niet afstandelijk geschreven. Ik kon me heel goed inleven in de gevoelens van de meisjes en ook het deel waarin ze vertellen hoe het hun na de ontvoering vergaan is, is boeiend! Ik wilde eigenlijk alleen maar blijven doorlezen, dit is echt één van de "mooiste" wa ...more
Chele Yntema
Aug 08, 2012 rated it liked it
Scary to think that this could happen. Scary to think that this DID happen in my lifetime, when I myself was a child.

Personally I loved the portrayal of the story from both girls, their fears and their every thoughts, the detail of the event was fantastic.

I think though I would have liked there to be a little more of the resulting emotions. A little more into what they felt now, looking back as adults, their struggles with life as it is, things that set them off thinking about their past, how th
Norelle
Jan 22, 2012 rated it it was ok
As a foster parent and survivor of abuse inn my childhood,I have an interest in reading how others have come out the other side.I wish I could have enjoyed this more, but the writing style was a little monotonous.It alternates between Lisa and Charlene,who talk about their abduction at age 10.It is horrific what happened to them, but it constantly sounded like the same person in each account, making the book a little frustrating to read at times.I applaud their courage and determination to put t ...more
Anna
Jan 06, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: true-crimes
This book was well written, considering it's author was one of the children abducted. It was very interesting to read the details of such a high-profile case of a hideous crime, one which i remember being in the news, so adding to the interest. It was also interesting to hear it from an inside perspective, so to speak, of a girl who it was actually happening to, and not based on speculation of what may have happened. A very good read, and nice that it had a happy ending.
Helen Tiday
Jul 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing
These girls were same age of as me in 1999 so don't remember publicity. This book is very moving, those poor girls and not too graphic as some of these types of memoirs can be. I read into the book as the journey of these two strong girls as well as about the horrific ordeal they went through. An amazing read; found hard to put it down.
L.L.
Jul 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebook
Książka na jeden wieczór, bardzo wciąga, pisana luźnym językiem, szczera. Historia dziewczynek nie ogranicza cię do porwania, a opisuje także ich życie po tym zdarzeniu - to interesujące (chociaż przykre) jakie uprowadzenie miało wpływ na ich życie - jak "skrzywiło" rzeczywistość (choć trudno mi znaleźć odpowiednie słowo.
Ally
Aug 16, 2014 rated it really liked it
Very raw, ability to lose yourself in this book.
One thing I found surprising, was that having stuck together throughout their abduction, it's understandable they needed to sever the relationship in order to put distance between the tragic event in their lives. I'm sure that helped to offer coping strategies to try to put the past in the past - even if it was slightly.
Michelle
Oct 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
Harrowing and slightly disturbing at times. However the strength and character that comes through from Charlene and Lisa is astounding and the ordeal and aftermath at least finishes on a positive note.
Dymphie
Apr 02, 2015 rated it liked it
Best heftig wat die twee kinderen hebben meegemaakt, maar het lijkt me dat ze er nog erg goed onderuit zijn gekomen.
Erg dat zo'n dader eerst 9x levenslang krijgt en vervolgens vervroegd wordt vrijgelaten.
Saskia
May 20, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dit boek spookt al dagen door mijn hoofd en wil me maar niet loslaten. Deze meisjes hebben zoveel gruwelijke dingen meegemaakt waar je maag 3x van omdraait. Ben dus gewaarschuwd als je aan dit boek begint, het zal je zeker niet in de koude kleren gaan zitten!
♥ Marlene♥
Sep 16, 2009 rated it really liked it
Bought in the first supermarket we entered in England. Never heard of this story. Those girls were so lucky. Interesting read.
Lena Blomme

De 2 meisjes vertellen in verschillende hoofdstukken wat ze hebben meegemaakt tijdens hun ontvoering.
Melissa van Gijn
Oct 19, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kijk voor mijn recensie op mijn blog
Eline
Oct 04, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: true-stories
Very heavy and emotional story about 2 young children who've been kidnapped en used in a very bad way.
Keely
Jan 26, 2013 rated it really liked it
I read this years ago, but it was shocking to read about what happened to these girls and makes you realise the type of people that are out there.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Bob: No Ordinary Cat
  • The Sleep of Reason: James Bulger Case
  • Fred & Rose
  • Love Sick: One Woman's Journey through Sexual Addiction
  • Iedereen wist het: ze kreeg zes kinderen van haar vader en niemand deed iets
  • Crimes Of Josef Fritzl
  • I Choose to Live
  • Shattered: Reclaiming a Life Torn Apart by Violence
  • Colleen Stan: The Simple Gifts of Life: Dubbed by the Media the Girl in the Box and the Sex Slave
  • House of Horrors