Start by marking “William the Baptist: Annotated Edition” as Want to Read:
William the Baptist: Annotated Edition

William the Baptist: Annotated Edition

We proudly offer this edited, updated, and annotated re-publishing of the classic book, William the Baptist by James M. Chaney. First published in 1877, Chaney’s excellent book has taught generations of Christians the biblical foundation for the Reformed, covenantal view of baptism. Written in a winsome, dialogical style, William the Baptist answers questions regarding app ...more
Published June 8th 2009 by Doulos Resources (first published 1877)

To ask other readers questions about William the Baptist, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about William the Baptist

Jason
Dec 07, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Though I found this a very engaging work, it was not persuasive. In fact, it seems to me to be a case study in misleading argumentation. The "word study" on the meaning of baptism makes several missteps, such as appealing to remote contexts in order to control what must be meant in an immediate context, imputing to the baptist view a false assumption about technical meaning, selective use of the evidence, and so on.

The dialogue gets stuck on the importance of "burial" to the symbolism of baptism
Bmquiram
Mar 15, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
I received William the Baptist by James M. Chaney and updated and annotated by J. Ed Eubanks, Jr. from Goodreads first reads. This book is highly informative on the subject of baptism using immersion verses sprinkling or pouring. It also speaks of infant baptism and the scripture related to this topic.
After reading this book I find I, like one of the main characters (speakers) in the book have drastically changed my opinion on baptism. Some of the explanations given might be somewhat complex fo
Ken Kunkel
May 28, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent dialogue between a Presbyterian and a Baptist about the issue of baptism. It is an entertaining view but also full of Scriptural truth.
Rex Blackburn
Though the book did raise some good points about mode, I expected to read more about infant baptism in particular. There was just the last chapter on that front. Also, the book didn't paint the Baptist perspective in a very appealing manner...loud, disagreeable, stubborn-without-knowledge, lacking any good scriptural basis for their beliefs, and easily refuted. And the Presbyterians were all very quiet, knowledgable, wise, sages. These caricatures were blatant in the first couple of chapters, bu ...more
Matt Calio
Mar 29, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a great book for anyone coming from a credobaptist position looking to be informed on the paedobaptist position. The format is that of a conversation between a Baptist and a Presbyterian on the issue of infant baptism in the church. As a Baptist myself, this book gave me a lot to consider from the Presbyterian understanding and even challenged the way I look at the Scriptures regarding the topic.
Cris Zelaya
Jun 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Made me reconsider the mode of Baptism.

I have transitioned from a Baptist understanding of Baptism to a Presbyterian, one of the things I never questioned was the mode of Baptism. I always assumed immersion to be the proper formed. This conversational style book, has made reconsider by making a strong case for sprinkling/pouring.
Rock Conner
Jan 18, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this book because I was struggling with the issues of sprinkling baptism & infant baptism. It certainly addressed my concern on those issues. I recommend it for anyone studying those issues.
Matthew Hodge
Nov 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: christian, kindle
An old book which has thankfully been converted into ebook format. It's a fairly short book but it consists of a series of fictional dialogues between a young Baptist guy (the "William the Baptist" of the title) and a Presbyterian.

The setup is that William marries a girl from the Presbyterian church and wants to join her church but he needs to baptised. The Pressie minister won't baptise him unless it's by sprinkling. William only believes in immersion. Finding himself stuck, W. goes round to th
Ryan
Feb 22, 2011 rated it liked it
This book is a fictional dialog between a convinced immersionist and a Presbyterian pastor. Most fictional conversations (intended didactically) tend to set up straw men, but I thought this book did a good job avoiding that for the most part. The arguments against immersion are quite strong, and the book is a quick read. Personally I am more interested in the arguments for and against infant baptism, which show up briefly in the final chapter.

This book was updated and lightly edited in the recen
Bo Cogbill
Apr 08, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good conversation starter for someone who has questions regarding the proper mode of baptism, but he also moves into who should be baptized the last two chapters. The book starts off slow, but really picks up steam about halfway through. If you'll stick with him, the payoff is worth it.

Not as thorough as Murray's Christian Baptism, but also a simpler read for the layman. Murray would be a great follow-up.

As with most books, this one is best read in conversation with someone who's well versed o
J.E. Jr.
Nov 29, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Recommends it for: pastors, church leaders, church members
Recommended to J.E. by: Bill Barton
Shelves: my-books
This is a great book— one of the best, in my opinion— about baptism and the Reformed view of it. I cannot recommend it more highly.

Okay, so I’m actually reviewing a book that I worked on myself; lame, I know. But I only (lightly) edited this volume, and I have read and re-read it several times over the years in the original form, and found it so good and useful that I was compelled to work on the re-release.
Patrick McWilliams
This rating and review is for a version of the book I read online. Chaney presents a thought-provoking discussion of the proper mode and subjects of Christian baptism. While I remained firmly unconvinced by his arguments for infant baptism toward the end of the book, his discussion of the work of the Spirit in arguing for pouring/sprinkling as the proper mode was quite convincing to me.
Justin
Sep 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
A helpful book in terms of thinking through the paedobaptism question as well as the continuity of the old and new testament. The book is written in the form of the dialogue which I think the reader will find enjoyable.
Nate Walker
Aug 09, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Helpful little resource on the mode of baptism.
David Timma
Sep 13, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
If you don't agree with Credo Baptism by immersion then this book will reinforce your beliefs. If you want a book that deals openly with the issues look elsewhere...
Christopher
Mar 02, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Helpful book on baptism. I wish the argument for infant baptism had been fleshed out a bit more, but still a good book.
Josh Thompson