Start by marking “Justicia Ciega” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Justicia Ciega

Alexander Bruce

Justicia Ciega (Sir John Fielding #1)

4.03  ·  Rating details ·  3,129 Ratings  ·  228 Reviews
The legendary--and blind--eighteenth-century judge, Sir John Fielding, cofounder of London's first police force, debuts in the case of a lord whose apparent suicide is exposed as a fountainhead of deception, greed, and murder.
Published October 28th 2006 by Edhasa (first published September 15th 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Justicia Ciega, please sign up.

Asteropê Yeah, there's a lot of them. Just scroll down. You could also check out other sites, like Amazon as well.

Saleh MoonWalker
Onvan : Blind Justice (Sir John Fielding, #1) - Nevisande : Bruce Alexander - ISBN : 425150070 - ISBN13 : 9780425150078 - Dar 336 Safhe - Saal e Chap : 1994
Phrynne
Nov 07, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 4000-books
A delightful historical mystery! The main character, Sir John Fielding was half brother to Henry Fielding who wrote the brilliant The History of Tom Jones, a Foundling and this book is written in a Fielding type style. Old fashioned but still easy to read.

Set in London in 1768 the book is busy with prostitutes, gamblers and street thieves. We visit Newgate Jail and Bow Street Court where Sir John deals out justice on criminals caught by the Bow Street Runners. I love all this historical stuff!

Th
Jane
Jan 02, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was pleasantly surprised at this one--usually an era I'm not interested in. This was the first volume in an enjoyable mystery series, with Sir John Fielding, 18th century blind magistrate and founder of the Bow Street Runners, and his "helper", 13-year-old Jeremy Proctor, who narrates the cases. This is a classic "locked room" mystery, with the revelation of the villain revealed in Sir John's gathering all the suspects together in the same room.

Lord Goodhope commits suicide, but Jeremy's noti
Anne
Nov 10, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My daughter and I have read all of the Sir John Fielding novels and were heartbroken when we heard that Bruce Alexander had died. Read all of them, in order, and you will be so happy.
Another series of books that are somewhat similar are the Sebastian St. Cyr novels by C.S. Harris. Again, a series that needs to be read in order.
Still yet another series that you will enjoy of this type are the Lady Julia Grey books (Silent as the Grave) etc. by Deanna Raybourn are fabulous.
Whew! all of these won
kaoyler
I would really give this book 3.5 stars. It was an intriguing mystery told from the viewpoint of a character recounting his experience with a blind magistrate, Sir John Fielding. Historically, Fielding is one of the men who started the Bow Street Runners and was the half-brother of Henry Fielding, novelist. At the start Jeremy Proctor, the narrator, is 13 and just come to London after the loss of both parents. He is brought before Sir John on false charges of theft, which Sir John recognizes and ...more
Brandy Painter
Oct 17, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sir John Fielding was the half brother of British novelist, Henry Fielding. Together they started the first London police force known as the Bow Street Runners. After Henry's death, John took over as the Bow Street Magistrate. His ability to discern truth and learn the facts of crimes was extraordinary given that he was blinded in an accident in the Navy when he was 19. Bruce Alexander wrote 11 fiction novels in which the historical figure of Sir John is the protagonist. Blind Justice is the fir ...more
Carl
Jan 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Although I missed Bruce Alexander's mystery series first time around, a friend of mine highly recommended it (Thanks Mary!). I was not disappointed; it is certainly one of the better historical mystery series I have read in the past 20 years. The series depicts London of the 1700s in a descriptive manner reminiscent of Dickens; the strong descriptive writing giving us the sights and sounds of 1700 London: the thieves, pickpockets, outdoor markets, the street walkers, people from various classes, ...more
LJ
Blind Justice(Hist-Jeremy/John Fielding-London-Georgian) - VG
Alexander, Bruce - 1st in series
Putnam, 2005, US Hardcover

I am fascinated by books about the Bow Street Runners and early police procedures in England. Alexander has clearly done his research as his book is rich with detail of life in Georgian England. His characters are wonderful and Jeremy very well drawn. I shall definitely be reading more of this series.
Stacie  Haden
4.5 stars. I'll be reading this whole series. I thoroughly enjoy well written historical mysteries, and that fits that niche perfectly!
London, 1768
Patti
This is the 3rd time I've read this book, and it just keeps on being one of my all time favorite books (12-7-16)
Maryann
Thanks Stacie Haden for bringing me back to this series.
Madhulika Liddle
Dec 22, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In 1768, thirteen year old orphan Jeremy Proctor arrives in London, to be immediately framed for theft and hauled up before a legendary magistrate: the blind man, Sir John Fielding, brother of Henry Fielding (author of Tom Jones), and inheritor of the system of policing set up by Henry at Bow Street: the Bow Street Runners. Within a couple of days, Jeremy finds himself a part of Sir John Fielding’s household, and helping the magistrate investigate the gruesome suicide—or is it murder?—of a debau ...more
Abrir un Libro
Jan 10, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Existen libros que despiertan el interés no por el argumento en sí, que también, sino mucho más por el autor del propio libro como es el caso de Bruce Alexander Cook. Un escritor que a pesar de haber escrito obras como La generación beat, tres biografías, una de Dalton Trumbo (Navona 2015), otra de Bertolt Brecht y una última biografía ficticia de Shakespeare entre otros libros, alcanzó la fama por la serie del Juez Fielding. Una serie de misterio o enigma de una excelente calidad narrativa e in ...more
Rachel
This story falls more on the Agatha Christie side than Jack the Ripper dark Victorian of other stories. The story centers on John Fielding, a court magistrate in London during the 1750's. What makes this story the most fascinating is that John Fielding was a real person. He and his brother, Henry Fielding founded the Bow Street Runners, London's first organized police force. Perhaps the most notable feature of the Judge, beside being honest, is the fact that he is blind. While the storyline itse ...more
Keri
Jun 16, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library
I breezed through this book - in the good way. The characters were that compelling and that life-like that I thought I was reading a true story, rather than a novel based on a historical figure.

Jeremy Proctor finds himself in the care of Sir John Fielding, a blind magistrate who started the Bow Street Runners with his half-brother. During his stay, he becomes involved in the investigation of Lord Goodhope's murder, and his contributions prove to shine a whole new light on the case.

As a narrator
Dorie
The first book in a historical crime series set in 1768 London featuring Sir John Fielding, a blind magistrate and founder of the Bow Street Runners police force. The narrator is Jeremy Proctor, 13 years old when the story starts and recent orphaned. Jeremy runs to London, where he is quickly tricked and accused of theft by a con artist. He ends up in front of Sir John, who easily figures the truth of the matter and then takes Jeremy under his wing. Jeremy ends up assisting him when Sir John inv ...more
Sherry
Aug 20, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a great read. Set in the 1700s based around John Fielding, blind magistrate, who makes up for his handicap with his keen other senses and brilliant deduction. The narrator is 13 year old Jeremy Proctor recently orphaned when his father dies in the stocks. Jeremy comes before the magistrate accused of a crime he does not commit. Fielding "sees through" the con of Jeremy's accusers. Fielding sets him free and sets out to find him an apprenticeship in the printing trade, a trade taught to ...more
Trina
Wow, this whole series of historical mysteries is just fantastic. I have a soft spot for the first one, in which 13-year-old Jeremy is brought before the bench for alleged theft to be tried by magistrate, Sir John Fielding (brother of Henry Fielding, the novelist). Known as the Blind Beak, the judge takes in young Jeremy as his eyes as they solve the first of many hard cases in 1700s London. Outstanding, a cut above the usual genre.
Pamela B
This is the first book in a charming historical mystery series of a young man's adventures in helping the blind magistrate Sir John Fielding solve murder mysteries. Sir John Fielding was the brother of the writer Henry Fielding, and London is indeed a colorful character in the books. There's a gentleness in the relationship between Sir John and his charge that is quite appealing.
Meggie
Now this book, which is the first one in "Sir John Fielding" series, was worth my time, truly! I enjoyed the main mysterious murder, immensely! I liked the writing style, and how the main mystery developed. Great work by Bruce Alexander.
HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!!
Amy
Apr 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It's been awhile since I started a new mystery series and was so impressed with it that as soon as I put the book down I ordered the next from the library. Great characters. Great story. Surprising mystery. Justice served.
Nick
Oct 24, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime
A fun little mystery buoyed up by excellent setting and wonderful characters. A light, enjoyable murder, well worth the read.
Kelly
May 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Really good. Enjoyed the writing style very much. The characters were written well. Sir John is very likeable and his pursuit of justice, truth, and mercy are admirable.
Beachreader
Oct 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Blind Justice, set in England during the reign of George III, is the first in a series of mysteries featuring Sir John Fielding, a magistrate for the Bow Street court. The famed Bow Street Runners, founded by Sir John's half brother Henry, assist Sir John in investigating a murder in the London home of a member of the House of Lords. The story is told in a first person account by a 13 year old boy, Jeremy Procter.

The writing is excellent, and both characters and setting are highly developed. The
Lydia Ruth
Dec 24, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was really surprised by how much I enjoyed this book! The premise is interesting, and I believe it is loosely based on a real person (I could be wrong about that). It's an interesting time period that I have not read much about from the British side. I thought they story was really interesting, and the writing was compelling! I really enjoyed all of the characters! I only gave it 5 stars, because I began to suspect the murderer before the big reveal. I'm not sure how or why I suspected what I ...more
Louise Turner
Oct 30, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyed this first title in a new-to-me series. Now I want to read the entire series. I also want to know more about the real-life Sir John Fielding. Wonderful picture of London during the time of Boswell and Johnson.
Jeanie
May 17, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
A murder mystery set in the 17oo's London. I liked the story and the characters, so I'll poke along in the series for a while.
Martina Sartor
Ottima l'ambientazione storica e la sua descrizione, senza annoiare mai. Ben tratteggiata la figura del giudice cieco. Una trama gialla ben congegnata: un giallo storico da 4 stelle piene.
Brittany
Nov 21, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed the well developed characters and all their diverse personalities.
Amber
May 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A well paced mystery with smart, and interesting characters. I will read more in this series!
Has anyone read this author? 3 6 Feb 03, 2018 07:26AM
  • Cut to the Quick (Julian Kestrel Mysteries, #1)
  • The Thief-Taker (Memoirs of a Bow Street Runner #1)
  • To Kingdom Come (Barker & Llewelyn, #2)
  • The Rhetoric of Death
  • The Cavalier of the Apocalypse (Aristide Ravel, #1)
  • Petty Treason (Sarah Tolerance, #2)
  • The Last Kashmiri Rose (Joe Sandilands, #1)
  • A Test of Wills (Inspector Ian Rutledge, #1)
  • Fortune Like the Moon (Hawkenlye Mysteries, #1)
  • Where Serpents Sleep (Sebastian St. Cyr, #4)
  • The Alehouse Murders (Templar Knight Mystery, #1)
  • Death Comes As Epiphany (Catherine LeVendeur, #1)
  • Secrets of a Lady (Rannoch/Fraser Chronological Order, #11)
  • Firedrake's Eye (David Becket and Simon Ames, #1)
  • River of Darkness (John Madden, #1)
  • The Ninth Daughter (Abigail Adams #1)
  • Goodnight Sweet Prince (Lord Francis Powerscourt, #1)

Sir John Fielding (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • Murder in Grub Street (Sir John Fielding, #2)
  • Watery Grave (Sir John Fielding, #3)
  • Person or Persons Unknown (Sir John Fielding, #4)
  • Jack, Knave and Fool (Sir John Fielding, #5)
  • Death of a Colonial (Sir John Fielding, #6)
  • The Color of Death (Sir John Fielding, #7)
  • Smuggler's Moon (Sir John Fielding, #8)
  • An Experiment In Treason (Sir John Fielding, #9)
  • The Price of Murder (Sir John Fielding, Book 10)
  • Rules of Engagement (Sir John Fielding, #11)

Mystery & Thrillers Deals

• Lost and Found (Rock Harbor Search and Rescue #2)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Light Before Day
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Hold Still (Jocelyn Rush, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Still Waters (Sandhamn, #1)
    $4.99 $2.00
  • Into the Light (The Light, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Burning Man (Gideon and Sirius, #1)
  • Disturbed
  • Cold Black Earth
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Drowned Girls (Angie Pallorino, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Guardians of the Night (Gideon and Sirius, #2)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Man With the Golden Gun (James Bond, #13)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Beyond Belief (Emily Castles Mysteries)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • A Reason to Live (A Marty Singer Mystery Book 1)
  • The Memory Child
    $3.49 $0.99
  • Finding Emma (Finding Emma Series Book 1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Lion, the Lamb, the Hunted
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Lucky Ones
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Red Gold (Night Soldiers, #5)
  • A Small Indiscretion
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Allegedly
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Octopussy and the Living Daylights (James Bond, #14)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Dragon Bones (Red Princess, #3)
    $12.99 $1.99
  • Flee (Codename: Chandler #1)
  • The Snow Garden
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Hallowed Bones (Sarah Booth Delaney #5)
    $7.99 $0.99
  • While the Savage Sleeps
  • The Technologists
  • A Density of Souls
  • Plea of Insanity
    $5.99 $0.99
  • Away from the Dark (The Light, #2)