Start by marking “See Jane Lead: 99 Ways for Women to Take Charge at Work” as Want to Read:
See Jane Lead: 99 Ways for Women to Take Charge at Work

See Jane Lead: 99 Ways for Women to Take Charge at Work

A groundbreaking book from bestselling author Lois Frankel proves that women possess innate skills that make them the best leaders (that means better than men!) in today's workplace and beyond.
Published April 1st 2007 by Business Plus

To ask other readers questions about See Jane Lead, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about See Jane Lead

Veronica
Jun 25, 2011 rated it it was ok
I'm a little offended by some of the ideas presented in this book (it implies that if you can be a mother, you can be a manager) and by the way in which they were presented. I'd like to think that my years of education and experience are contributing somehow to my career. I did enjoy some of the profiles of succesful women. I'd recommend this book to a mother who is re-entering the workforce after a number of years as a feel-good confidence builder, but I don't think there's much in here for the ...more
Kameka
Jan 04, 2018 rated it liked it
Nothing new here. Pragmatic book for junior or mid-career women. Some of these tips wouldn't work in some business cultures, knowing one's audience is key, which I don't think the author addressed. Not all environments are the same so universals rarely work in every instance. There is a fair amount of repetition and comparisons to parenting that was lost on me, but I can see the utility for others. However, I think this could be a very helpful book for a number of people working in organizations ...more
Elyssa
Feb 04, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: career
This was recommended and loaned to me by the only woman VP in my agency, who is also a mentor to me. I was initially wary about this book because I am usually fearful that management books geared to women will encourage them to adopt the skills and traits of the dominant male-based leadership model.

This book was a balance between both worlds and really focused on the best aspects of each. Since the intended audience is women, there was a strong focus on using skills that typically come natural t
Jessica
Aug 29, 2010 rated it it was ok
Shelves: career-business
There were a few good strategies that could be taken from the book. However, the author tried to relate a lot of work place experiences to how a woman might interact with her signifcant other and children. Overall, I'm a little disapointed that I purchased this book.
Grania
Nov 14, 2007 rated it it was ok
Shelves: ambivalent
I liked the idea of recognising non-traditional female leadership skills, but was alienated about how they were only recognised in female industries. Repetitve, and low on content or research.
Ayat Saleh
Oct 06, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: self-development
With a focus on revealing and solving the different attitudes that are under what is called "Nice Girls Syndrome", Lois P. Frankel developed this book to discuss the "feminization of leadership", i.e. how women can lead in the workplace without being called too bossy, aggressive or egotistical.

Why is that? Lois believes that "nice girls have a particularly difficult time assuming leadership roles and doing it effectively. When they do, they often try to make everyone happy (which, as you know,
Amalia
Nov 05, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2017
I borrowed this as an audiobook, and found that the target audience was a mid-career woman with traditional gender roles. Much of the book was written in short blurbs (the 99 tips), and I found useful the sections on leadership, assertiveness, team-building and coaching. I also appreciated the references to other useful business and leadership books. Where the book lost me was a lot of the assumed context of the reader as well as the last third of the book regarding entrepreneurship and raising ...more
Gina
Nov 23, 2018 rated it liked it
I found this book pretty boring and run of the mill. There is good content, to be sure, but it's not presented in an entertaining manner.
Griselda
Feb 23, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Really didn't feel any inspiration. But this was meant to be an informative read. I felt a little out of place since she brought up a lot of "mom" examples, so I couldn't relate to them.
Kim
Nov 19, 2012 rated it really liked it
As this audio book started, I found myself rolling my eyes quite a bit. It just seemed too simplified, too contrived, even. However, as the third disc ended, I found that I did really enjoy it. While nothing seemed incredibly new, it was a good refresher and has me nodding in agreement. It also made me realize that even though I gave up my official manager role, I do think I am, legitimately, a leader (how cocky do I sound?!?). The book made me appreciate what I have to offer in the workplace, h ...more
Sarah Walton
Sep 28, 2007 rated it really liked it
I read a few pages of this on my way into the city every morning. It inspires me to the point that I walk into my office ready to tackle the not so easy tasks, and I can do that with confidence.

She discusses now important feminine power is in the workplace, how distinct it is, and how much energy women waste on trying to use a masculine power instead. Very insightful, not pushy and a fun read. I highly recommend it.
Kaylen
Feb 29, 2008 rated it liked it
Some of this book had really great information that I can add to my repertoire for leadership skills, and that I found extremely useful. There is also an assessment of your leadership strengths and opportunities that I liked. However, much of it I felt like I already know, or already put into practice. I think it would probably be better for someone who is newer to management/leadership positions.
Elaine
Jan 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
I like for the fact that this book can be read individually by each chapters and you don't need to read from chapter 1 to the end chronologically.

There are some chapters that are more suited to me and I focus on absorbing the content of those chapters.

This book is for women who are employees in a companies, who are managers finding ways to lead and manage their teams, moms raising their daughters.

Overall a good book for women who are working and in different stages in their lives.
Heather
Oct 27, 2008 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed reading this book and obtained many great take-aways. Dr. Frankel has a very readable writing style and although not syaing anything truly different from other leadership books, she phrases the ideas in means which I can easily grasp and apply. Good read for those starting careers as well because it's never too early to start leading.
Brekke
Jul 15, 2016 rated it liked it
3 stars.
Some great insights on leadership for women, but this book is heavily geared toward wives and mothers. As a woman who is neither of these things, nearly a third of the book - and the 99 tips - are not relevant to my life. While the good stuff is good, it's definitely tailored to a specific type of woman in leadership.
Rachel B.
Apr 13, 2015 rated it liked it
I appreciated how Frankel organized the book into tips, making it easy to work though nugget by nugget. I was surprised (in a good way) by the direction she took at the end when she started offering up tips for developing daughters who want to lead.
Whitney
Jun 30, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: business
A bit dry, but it's a book I could see myself coming back to down the road when/if I am managing a team of people. I would like to read her other books (the Nice Girl books) and see if I could learn a bit more from this author.
Chevelle
Jul 20, 2007 marked it as to-read
Saw this in Borders the same time I bought "Nice Girls don't get the corner office", and I think I'll move on to that if Nice Girls turns out alright. It's been getting good ratings, and now that I'm in management, I need to pick up my game and get good pointers. I'm in need of a mentor!!!
Gigliola Conte-Patel
Feb 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
Another book that provides women with career guidance, this time the focus is one which positive behaviours one should employ in order too be taken seriously. Many of the tips touch on entrepreneurial behaviours which I found very interesting.
Sep 16, 2008 rated it it was ok
Having a hard time finishing this book.
Samantha
Apr 16, 2011 rated it liked it
I actually liked this book better than the other one I read. The stories of successful women were inspiring. Not too useful in a practical sense, though.
Maria Redin
Oct 04, 2013 rated it did not like it
Shelves: business
Offensive book through over generalization. Her suggestions, like: make a plan, understand who your audience is, were applicable to anyone.
Yossi
I'm learning to implement some of tips on this book, since I haven't become in charge at my work now. My hope, one day I'll be in charge,I'm ready enough
Heather Clark
Feb 14, 2008 rated it it was ok
Shelves: career
I couldn't finish the book word for word, I had to start scanning because I was getting bored, honestly.

All in all, good advice....just too long winded.
Kim Bondy
Jul 10, 2011 rated it liked it
A family from school gave me this book as a present. It's in my pile to read over the summer :)
Karen
Sep 22, 2012 rated it liked it
I liked that she boiled it down to 99 bullets of ways you can lead at work. Quick read just look at the highlights.
deva
Jun 25, 2007 rated it really liked it
best way to lead..motivation for all of women...
Donna
Jan 24, 2011 rated it did not like it
couldn't get into the book
Breenamars
Oct 20, 2011 rated it liked it
A good reference with light reading but at the same time packed with organisational wholesomeness.
Jacki
May 19, 2009 rated it it was ok
It starts out good but she starts to repeat herself and I lost interest.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Pitch Like a Girl: Get Respect, Get Noticed, Get What You Want
  • The Empty Raincoat: Making Sense of the Future
  • How to Work a Room: The Ultimate Guide to Making Lasting Connections--In Person and Online
  • Play Like a Man, Win Like a Woman: What Men Know About Success that Women Need to Learn
  • The Go-Getter Girl's Guide: Get What You Want in Work and Life (and Look Great While You're at It)
  • Necessary Dreams: Ambition in Women's Changing Lives
  • Brag!: The Art of Tooting Your Own Horn without Blowing It
  • Seducing the Boys Club: Uncensored Tactics from a Woman at the Top
  • Why Good Girls Don't Get Ahead... But Gutsy Girls Do: Nine Secrets Every Working Woman Must Know
  • Mean Girls Grown Up: Adult Women Who Are Still Queen Bees, Middle Bees, and Afraid-To-Bees
  • How To Say It for Women
  • The Geometry of Love: Space, Time, Mystery, and Meaning in an Ordinary Church
  • Take the Lead
  • For Love of Politics: Bill and Hillary Clinton: The White House Years
  • How To Be More Interesting
  • Band of Angels: The Forgotten World of Early Christian Women
  • Difficult Mothers: Understanding and Overcoming Their Power
  • Contented Dementia
Dr. Lois Frankel, President of Corporate Coaching International, a Pasadena, California consulting firm, literally wrote the book on coaching people to succeed in businesses large and small around the globe. Her books Nice Girls Don’t Get The Corner Office and Nice Girls Don’t Get Rich are international bestsellers translated into over twenty-five languages worldwide. Stop Sabotaging Your Career, ...more