Start by marking “Pete the Cat: I Love My White Shoes” as Want to Read:
Pete the Cat: I Love My White Shoes

Pete the Cat: I Love My White Shoes

(Pete the Cat)

4.40  ·  Rating details ·  23,107 ratings  ·  1,611 reviews
Don't miss the first and bestselling book in the beloved Pete the Cat series!

Pete the Cat goes walking down the street wearing his brand-new white shoes. Along the way, his shoes change from white to red to blue to brown to WET as he steps in piles of strawberries, blueberries, and other big messes!

But no matter what color his shoes are, Pete keeps movin' and groovin' and
Published March 2nd 2010 by HarperCollins

To ask other readers questions about Pete the Cat, please sign up.
Toya
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

·  23,107 ratings  ·  1,611 reviews

Mischenko
Jan 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Totally groovy Pete the cat story about his white shoes. Cute and colorful book for young Pete the cat fans.
Trudi
Sep 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: my-inner-child, 2013
The moral of Pete's story is: No matter what you step in, keep walking along and singing your song....because it's all good.
I'm now convinced that Pete is a hippie, who spends the majority of his time high as a kite. He's just figured out another way of saying "Don't sweat the small stuff" but for the kiddies. Not as groovin' as His Four Groovy Buttons, but still a must for Pete the Cat fans.
Pooja
Jan 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children
It is always good to see other cats than 'Cat in The Hat'. And this time I decided to spend my time with a cat with her shoes.

The question is : Are her shoes going to be only of color white? Or will she be going for other colors too?

The world is a colorful place, she must know it.

debbicat ☮~Traveling Sister
Just so dang cute! Read it with preschoolers today. We loved singing the song. Pete is super cool. He just doesn’t sweat stuff and it is a good reminder for us all to do the same. He has new white shoes. He steps in red strawberries but it’s all good. No worries about those white shoes looking red now. More mishaps. But he does not worry. LOVE IT! He is one cool cat. Highly recommended!
Mari
I can't wait to use this book with a group of kids! It has a wide range of appeal (good for younger and older storytime groups) and has lots of opportunities for audience participation. You can sing with Pete, guess what color his shoes will turn based on what he steps in, and have the kids join in on the "goodness no!" refrain. What fun! You can even check the publisher's website to hear the story and find out how the author sings Pete's song.
Rossy
Jan 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s
"The moral of Pete's story is: No matter what you step in, keep walking along and singing your song... because it's all good."

I think Pete is a really cool cat -_- He enjoys his walk (his life?) no matter what! And his shoes are cute, too :p
Marya
Nov 14, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Hip Cats
Shelves: picture-books
If cool jazz wrote a children's book, this is it. Despite getting his brand new shoes in a variety of stain situations that would challenge a Tide commercial, Pete the Cat keeps "walking along and singing his song, because it's all good".
One reviewer felt that this book does not teach children appropriate problem solving skills. I disagree. I think chilling out is certainly something I want my child to learn. So your sippy cup doesn't get instantaneously refilled? So Mommy won't let you play wi
Ana
Mar 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Read this one (in Spanish) during my library's preschool storytime and sang its accompanying song in English which I think the kiddos really enjoyed. While they were able to follow along with the story with the aid of the book's illustrations, I definitely think next time around, I'll try to make it a more bilingual experience by translating more of the text as I'm reading it out loud.
Mya
Dec 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
The end of the story really brought the story together.
Aug 06, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-book
My latest storytime discovery combines my two loves: a positive attitude and, well, shoes. Pretty genius!

Meet this happy go-lucky cat out for a stroll in his brand new white shoes when he happens to step in a huge pile of strawberries! "What color did it turn his shoes?"

Shoe transformation occurs three more times with varying slants (and oddly enough, another mountain of fruit) but each time, "Did Pete cry?" "Goodness, no! He kept walking along and singing his song."

Pete's song, "I love my _____
midnightfaerie
Feb 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
Pete the Cat books rock. Didn't know anything about them, until I saw a Pete the Cat class at my local library for my K-5 grade and signed him up. Then I checked out some of the books, to see if he'd like them. Not only did he love them, but my 2 yr old twins do as well. He's laid back, cool, and groovy with beautiful and colorful illustration. All three of my kids love finding the yellow bird that follows him around on every page. (Makes me think of my Richard Scary books I had as a kid where I ...more
Tyler Jones
May 01, 2012 rated it really liked it
paula
Think of the blue dog - those stupid paintings from the Clinton era, which I think that guy is still doing - and then make them cool, not creepy, and of a self-assured cat rather than a freaked-out dog, and you have a starting point for visualizing the powder-coated apehanger-handlebar simple authentic genius of Pete The Cat.

DO I HYPERBOLIZE? NO I DO NOT.

Full review on Pink Me: http://pinkme.typepad.com/pink-me/201...
Erica
May 23, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone who has a preschool-age child, storytime librarians
Recommended to Erica by: various librarians
What an absolutely fun book! I'd read it once before then I tried it out on a friend's 3 1/2-year-old this weekend and he loved it! We sang Pete's song and he was grooving to the beat. He loved telling us what color Pete's shoes were going to be next.

In three days between me, my husband and the kid's parents this book was read a total of about 9 times with 3 of those times being me.

Definitely a keeper!
Amanda
Feb 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Happy National Cat Day! I've read this a BILLION TIMES! I've played the song--you can download it online--of Mr. Eric performing this a bazillion times. Cannot believe I've never reviewed this before though. This is solid gold; every kid loves this and every adult loves this and will start singing along by the second round if you invite them. It's brilliant! This is Pete the Cat at his BEST before commercialization struck and everything started going all. down. hill. and things got really creepy ...more
Kandice
Apr 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mackers, easy-reading
A cute story about Pete the Cat who enjoys walking in his brand new white shoes. Unfortunately, they don't remain white as Pete keeps stepping into piles of fruit and puddles. But does Pete cry? Goodness, no! He just keeps walking along and singing his song.

The Pete the Cat series is one of Mackers' favourites.
Erma Talamante
Jan 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: needs-reviewed
Full review pending...

Read at Barnes & Nobles' storytime...

Pete is a funky little cat with a cool, laid-back attitude. Nothing gets to him as he keeps on singing!
June
Jul 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Color, cat requests
Recommended to June by: Erin and Polly
Shelves: cat, colors, picture-book
I used this at my PJ Story time tonight, with some trepidation, after high recommendations from Erin & Polly. I don't know that it was the huge success that theirs was, (I can't carry a tune) however, children from toddler to 7 or so enjoyed it. I also play the colors song and use colored flannel board pieces after the book.

I'll probably use it for color story times too. 8/7/12

Used it for a Color PJ Story time tonight and all the kids joined in and a parent checked out the book and another P
Julie Carpenter
This is a favorite bed time, story time or any time book to read in our house. We love Pete the Cat and absolutely love to sing along with his groovy songs. His easy going attitude is great and makes a fun character for kids of all ages to read.

I'll just keeping walking along and singing my song...

I can't tell you how many times we've read this but I don't think it'll get old. The best part is I love listening to my youngest read it out loud now that she's figured out this reading by herself thi
Irina
Jan 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is a great book when teaching about colors. This is also good to read when kids are feeling down about things that are going wrong. This book is a great pick-me-up to let you know that there is always a silver lining. Pete did not let anything get him down.
Aya Abed
Dec 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
No matter what you step in,
keep walking along and
singing your song...... :))
Elena Ahmed
Apr 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Always be cool and sing your song...
Abigail
Jul 15, 2019 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Cool Cats / Young Children Learning Their Colors
Recommended to Abigail by: Wilhelmina
Cool-cat Pete is moseying along one day, in his white shoes, singing a song, when (Oh no!) he steps in a pile of blueberries, and ends up with blue shoes instead. Rather than cry, Peter changes his tune, now celebrating his blue shoes, and when he steps in a pile of strawberries, alters his outlook once again. Come what may, Pete is one feline who knows how to relax, and roll with the punches!

The singsong narrative of Pete the Cat: I Love My White Shoes will lend itself to reading aloud, and wil
Sarah Obsesses over Books & Cookies
cute. 3 year old loves it, that's all that matters.
Selma D
Sep 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Pete the cat: I love my white shoes by Eric Litwin and Illustrated by James Dean
Published: 2008
Age range: 3- 6

Brief Synopsis:
Pete the cat is a vey cool, chilled out cat. He loves life and loves his shoes, even after they change colour after stepping in strawberries, Blueberries and Mud. This is a short picture, story book with a simple yet positive message; which is to see the benefits even from something that can be seen as negative because: “it’s all good”.

My Opinion:
This is a great ex
Chiix Moses
Jun 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: social-emotional
MY REVIEW
Since I first heard the story of Pete the Cat and his white shoes I have absolutely adored it. Without missing a beat, Pete the Cat teaches young children that no matter what happens, they just have to keep going. I can not imagine a better book to teach children about resilience than this one. Not only is this book filled with wonderful images, untouchable rhythm, and a wonderful message, it's also just a fun read! I think that, as teachers, we often can look too deep into stories and
Allison Soulier
Feb 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
"Pete the Cat: I Love My White Shoes" was illustrated by James Dean. It was published by Scholastic in 2008. It is 31 pages long. I gave the book a 5 out of 5 stars because I thought it was such a cute book and I like Pete the Cat's charismatic character. "Pete the Cat: I Love White Shoes" is one of many "Pete the Cat" books that teach children different things. This book particularly focuses on teaching children about color. It's the journey through Pete's day wearing brand new white shoes and ...more
Megan Bernhard
Pete the Cat: I Love My White Shoes is a story about Pete the Cat and his brand new white shoes. Along his walk Pete steps in strawberries, blueberries, and mud turning his new shoes different colors. Pete didn't let this stop him, he kept walking along until he stepped in a bucket of water and his shoes were white again. This story teaches the reader to not let anything hold you back and just keep walking. The text and illustrations go very well together in this story. The illustrations can aid ...more
babyhippoface
Do not be fooled by the simplicity of this little picture book. As with Mo Willems' Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus!, there is more here than meets the eye; there is genius in the pages.

Pete the Cat loves his new white shoes soooooo much that he sings a song about them: "I love my white shoes, I love my white shoes.... When he steps in a pile of strawberries that turn his white shoes red, does Pete cry? Goodness, no! He just keeps walkin' along, singin' his song: "I love my red shoes, I lov
Brittany
Mar 07, 2018 rated it liked it
I love Pete the Cat! I like that he is a cool cat - very chill.

I would think that if you stepped in a large pile of red strawberries and then stepped into a large pile of blueberries that your shoes are going to turn purple not blue. All the things Pete steps in with his shoes would make his shoes wet not just the water. It would also be hard to have white shoes after stepping in strawberries, blueberries and mud. His shoes must be magic shoes.

I can tell that this is the first Pete the Cat boo

• Can You Make a Scary Face?
  • Dog's Colorful Day: A Messy Story About Colors and Counting
  • The Seals on the Bus
  • Dog in Boots
  • I Ain't Gonna Paint No More!
  • Blue Chameleon
  • Jump!
  • Clip-Clop
  • I Spy With My Little Eye
  • Ernest, the Moose Who Doesn't Fit
Eric Litwin (Mr. Eric) is a guitar strumming, book writing, harmonica blowing, song singing, folksy, fun type of guy. He is the # 1 New York Times Best Selling author of the first four Pete the Cat picture books and the author of the new musical series The Nuts. Eric's books have sold over 1.5 million copies, been translated into seven languages and won 15 state and national awards including a The ...more

Pete the Cat (1 - 10 of 48 books)
  • Pete the Cat: Rocking in My School Shoes