Start by marking “Pete the Cat: I Love My White Shoes” as Want to Read:
Pete the Cat: I Love My White Shoes

Pete the Cat: I Love My White Shoes

(Pete the Cat)

4.34  ·  Rating details ·  33,209 ratings  ·  1,759 reviews
Don't miss the first and bestselling book in the beloved Pete the Cat series!

Pete the Cat goes walking down the street wearing his brand-new white shoes. Along the way, his shoes change from white to red to blue to brown to WET as he steps in piles of strawberries, blueberries, and other big messes!

But no matter what color his shoes are, Pete keeps movin' and groovin' and
Published March 2nd 2010 by HarperCollins

To ask other readers questions about Pete the Cat, please sign up.
Ana Rosa HOW DO I READ IT!!!???!!!???!!!???!!!???!!!???!!!???!!!???!!!???!!!???!!!???!!!???!!!???!!!???!!!???!!!???!!!???!!!???!!!???!!!???!!!???!!!???!!!???!!…moreHOW DO I READ IT!!!???!!!???!!!???!!!???!!!???!!!???!!!???!!!???!!!???!!!???!!!???!!!???!!!???!!!???!!!???!!!???!!!???!!!???!!!???!!!???!!!???!!!???!!!???!!!???!!!???!!!???!!!???!!!(less)

·  33,209 ratings  ·  1,759 reviews

Start your review of Pete the Cat: I Love My White Shoes
Mischenko
Jan 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Totally groovy Pete the cat story about his white shoes. Cute and colorful book for young Pete the cat fans.
Emily May
Sep 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
I got this for my son, but I'm not gonna lie-- Pete the Cat's philosophy on life really speaks to me too 😂
Trudi
Sep 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2013, my-inner-child
The moral of Pete's story is: No matter what you step in, keep walking along and singing your song....because it's all good.
I'm now convinced that Pete is a hippie, who spends the majority of his time high as a kite. He's just figured out another way of saying "Don't sweat the small stuff" but for the kiddies. Not as groovin' as His Four Groovy Buttons, but still a must for Pete the Cat fans.
Pooja
Jan 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children
It is always good to see other cats than 'Cat in The Hat'. And this time I decided to spend my time with a cat with her shoes.

The question is : Are her shoes going to be only of color white? Or will she be going for other colors too?

The world is a colorful place, she must know it.

debbicat ☮~Traveling Sister
Just so dang cute! Read it with preschoolers today. We loved singing the song. Pete is super cool. He just doesn’t sweat stuff and it is a good reminder for us all to do the same. He has new white shoes. He steps in red strawberries but it’s all good. No worries about those white shoes looking red now. More mishaps. But he does not worry. LOVE IT! He is one cool cat. Highly recommended!
Marya
Nov 14, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Hip Cats
Shelves: picture-books
If cool jazz wrote a children's book, this is it. Despite getting his brand new shoes in a variety of stain situations that would challenge a Tide commercial, Pete the Cat keeps "walking along and singing his song, because it's all good".
One reviewer felt that this book does not teach children appropriate problem solving skills. I disagree. I think chilling out is certainly something I want my child to learn. So your sippy cup doesn't get instantaneously refilled? So Mommy won't let you play wi
Mari
I can't wait to use this book with a group of kids! It has a wide range of appeal (good for younger and older storytime groups) and has lots of opportunities for audience participation. You can sing with Pete, guess what color his shoes will turn based on what he steps in, and have the kids join in on the "goodness no!" refrain. What fun! You can even check the publisher's website to hear the story and find out how the author sings Pete's song.
Rossy
Jan 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s
"The moral of Pete's story is: No matter what you step in, keep walking along and singing your song... because it's all good."

I think Pete is a really cool cat -_- He enjoys his walk (his life?) no matter what! And his shoes are cute, too :p
Rose
Mar 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
As soon as I read this book for the first time I knew it was perfect. Just the level of my daughters’ engagement and excitement was enough to know this was a winner.
Ana
Mar 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Read this one (in Spanish) during my library's preschool storytime and sang its accompanying song in English which I think the kiddos really enjoyed. While they were able to follow along with the story with the aid of the book's illustrations, I definitely think next time around, I'll try to make it a more bilingual experience by translating more of the text as I'm reading it out loud.
Mya
Dec 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
The end of the story really brought the story together.
Aug 06, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-book
My latest storytime discovery combines my two loves: a positive attitude and, well, shoes. Pretty genius!

Meet this happy go-lucky cat out for a stroll in his brand new white shoes when he happens to step in a huge pile of strawberries! "What color did it turn his shoes?"

Shoe transformation occurs three more times with varying slants (and oddly enough, another mountain of fruit) but each time, "Did Pete cry?" "Goodness, no! He kept walking along and singing his song."

Pete's song, "I love my _____
midnightfaerie
Feb 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
Pete the Cat books rock. Didn't know anything about them, until I saw a Pete the Cat class at my local library for my K-5 grade and signed him up. Then I checked out some of the books, to see if he'd like them. Not only did he love them, but my 2 yr old twins do as well. He's laid back, cool, and groovy with beautiful and colorful illustration. All three of my kids love finding the yellow bird that follows him around on every page. (Makes me think of my Richard Scary books I had as a kid where I ...more
Tyler Jones
May 01, 2012 rated it really liked it
paula
Think of the blue dog - those stupid paintings from the Clinton era, which I think that guy is still doing - and then make them cool, not creepy, and of a self-assured cat rather than a freaked-out dog, and you have a starting point for visualizing the powder-coated apehanger-handlebar simple authentic genius of Pete The Cat.

DO I HYPERBOLIZE? NO I DO NOT.

Full review on Pink Me: http://pinkme.typepad.com/pink-me/201...
Erica
May 23, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone who has a preschool-age child, storytime librarians
Recommended to Erica by: various librarians
What an absolutely fun book! I'd read it once before then I tried it out on a friend's 3 1/2-year-old this weekend and he loved it! We sang Pete's song and he was grooving to the beat. He loved telling us what color Pete's shoes were going to be next.

In three days between me, my husband and the kid's parents this book was read a total of about 9 times with 3 of those times being me.

Definitely a keeper!
Amanda
Feb 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Happy National Cat Day! I've read this a BILLION TIMES! I've played the song--you can download it online--of Mr. Eric performing this a bazillion times. Cannot believe I've never reviewed this before though. This is solid gold; every kid loves this and every adult loves this and will start singing along by the second round if you invite them. It's brilliant! This is Pete the Cat at his BEST before commercialization struck and everything started going all. down. hill. and things got really creepy ...more
Kandice
Apr 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mackers, easy-reading
A cute story about Pete the Cat who enjoys walking in his brand new white shoes. Unfortunately, they don't remain white as Pete keeps stepping into piles of fruit and puddles. But does Pete cry? Goodness, no! He just keeps walking along and singing his song.

The Pete the Cat series is one of Mackers' favourites.
Erma Talamante
Jan 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: needs-reviewed
Full review pending...

Read at Barnes & Nobles' storytime...

Pete is a funky little cat with a cool, laid-back attitude. Nothing gets to him as he keeps on singing!
Dr. Melissa Aaron
Apr 29, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-i-like
I have to admit that I "read" this book by listening to it on YouTube. Despite its inconsistency with color theory, I enjoyed it. Possibly this is because I grew up listening to Al "Jazzbo" Collins versions of The Three Little Pigs and Little Red Riding Hood, which were old school hipster/beatnik. According to other readers, kids seem to enjoy it, but I can't verify this.
Chiix Moses
Jun 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: social-emotional
MY REVIEW
Since I first heard the story of Pete the Cat and his white shoes I have absolutely adored it. Without missing a beat, Pete the Cat teaches young children that no matter what happens, they just have to keep going. I can not imagine a better book to teach children about resilience than this one. Not only is this book filled with wonderful images, untouchable rhythm, and a wonderful message, it's also just a fun read! I think that, as teachers, we often can look too deep into stories and
Allison Soulier
Feb 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
"Pete the Cat: I Love My White Shoes" was illustrated by James Dean. It was published by Scholastic in 2008. It is 31 pages long. I gave the book a 5 out of 5 stars because I thought it was such a cute book and I like Pete the Cat's charismatic character. "Pete the Cat: I Love White Shoes" is one of many "Pete the Cat" books that teach children different things. This book particularly focuses on teaching children about color. It's the journey through Pete's day wearing brand new white shoes and ...more
June
Jul 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Color, cat requests
Recommended to June by: Erin and Polly
Shelves: picture-book, colors, cat
I used this at my PJ Story time tonight, with some trepidation, after high recommendations from Erin & Polly. I don't know that it was the huge success that theirs was, (I can't carry a tune) however, children from toddler to 7 or so enjoyed it. I also play the colors song and use colored flannel board pieces after the book.

I'll probably use it for color story times too. 8/7/12

Used it for a Color PJ Story time tonight and all the kids joined in and a parent checked out the book and another Pete
Abigail
Jul 15, 2019 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Cool Cats / Young Children Learning Their Colors
Recommended to Abigail by: Wilhelmina
Cool-cat Pete is moseying along one day, in his white shoes, singing a song, when (Oh no!) he steps in a pile of blueberries, and ends up with blue shoes instead. Rather than cry, Peter changes his tune, now celebrating his blue shoes, and when he steps in a pile of strawberries, alters his outlook once again. Come what may, Pete is one feline who knows how to relax, and roll with the punches!

The singsong narrative of Pete the Cat: I Love My White Shoes will lend itself to reading aloud, and wil
Julie Carpenter
This is a favorite bed time, story time or any time book to read in our house. We love Pete the Cat and absolutely love to sing along with his groovy songs. His easy going attitude is great and makes a fun character for kids of all ages to read.

I'll just keeping walking along and singing my song...

I can't tell you how many times we've read this but I don't think it'll get old. The best part is I love listening to my youngest read it out loud now that she's figured out this reading by herself thi
Irina
Jan 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is a great book when teaching about colors. This is also good to read when kids are feeling down about things that are going wrong. This book is a great pick-me-up to let you know that there is always a silver lining. Pete did not let anything get him down.
Aya Abed
Dec 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
No matter what you step in,
keep walking along and
singing your song...... :))
Elena Ahmed
Apr 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Always be cool and sing your song...
Natalia Muniz
Sep 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: free-choice-5
It is a catchy and groovy book to learn about colors and feelings.
Nick
Dec 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
My kids love this book. We’ve read it a couple times this year already.

• Dr. Seuss's Green Eggs and Ham: For Soprano, Boy Soprano, and Orchestra
  • The Cat in the Hat
  • Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus!
  • Where the Wild Things Are
  • Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See?
  • The Giving Tree
  • The Very Hungry Caterpillar
  • Green Eggs and Ham
  • Clifford the Big Red Dog
  • The Rainbow Fish
  • Charlotte's Web
  • Pete's Big Lunch (Pete the Cat: I Can Read)
  • Chicka Chicka Boom Boom
  • A Bad Case of Stripes
  • Goodnight Moon
  • The Cat in the Hat and Other Dr. Seuss Favorites
  • Are You My Mother?
  • If You Give a Mouse a Cookie (If You Give...)
Eric Litwin (Mr. Eric) is a guitar strumming, book writing, harmonica blowing, song singing, folksy, fun type of guy. He is the # 1 New York Times Best Selling author of the first four Pete the Cat picture books and the author of the new musical series The Nuts. Eric's books have sold over 1.5 million copies, been translated into seven languages and won 15 state and national awards including a The ...more

Pete the Cat (1 - 10 of 48 books)
  • Pete the Cat: Rocking in My School Shoes