Start by marking “The Organic Cook's Bible: How to Select and Cook the Best Ingredients on the Market” as Want to Read:

The most comprehensive, authoritative organic foods guide available

Flavorful, nutritious meals begin with flavorful, nutritious ingredients. They also begin with knowledge. If you want to learn about and enjoy the benefits of organic foods, this book is an essential resource that will make it easier to "go organic" by helping you "know organic."

Covering fruit, vegetables,
Published April 7th 2006 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt (first published April 4th 2006)

To ask other readers questions about The Organic Cook's Bible, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Organic Cook's Bible

Crystal
Oct 08, 2007 rated it liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
First off, I have to say it's a pet peeve of mine to refer to something as a Bible simply because it's a resource book that attempts to be comprehensive. Such usage may be acceptable English, but it still annoys the religious part of me. I try to tune that out, though, and appreciate books for their intended purpose.
And this was a pretty good book. I am trying to eat vegan as well as gluten and yeast free, so a lot of recipes in here didn't work for me. But there were plenty of other good recipe
Nikki
I impulsively bought this book on a vacation bookstore visit and then had to carry it home -- it's heavy (very nice paper). After a brief introduction to various concepts of organic food (I think the book is about 10 years old or more so it was not as common as now), there are sections on vegetables, fruits, herbs and spices, kitchen staples, grains, nuts and seeds, meat/fish/eggs/dairy. Each describes the items one is likely to be able to buy in organic version and talks about varieties, storag ...more
Keith
Nov 03, 2008 rated it really liked it
This is more of an encyclopedia of food more so than a straight read book. However, the information in this book is brilliant. I worked in the produce dept. of an organic food co-op for 5 years, and we had this book handy in case someone asked for something a little more exotic than what we normally carried. I'd say 90% of the time this book had information on just about every fruit and vegetable people asked for. There is also a recipe ideas throughout the many (500+) pages. This is an attracti ...more
Pricky
Jan 15, 2009 rated it really liked it
If you're interested in living organically, this is a good informative book on why a particular ingredient should be organic vs. conventional; it also gives you a nutritional analysis of the food items and a lot of background information on the organic industry. The book kind of adds "fuel to the fire" so to speak on living organically, which is or is not a good thing...can kind of make one a little obsessed.
Ethicurean Reads
Following a discussion of what constitutes organic food, Cox offers a comprehensive A-Z guide to ingredients both humdrum and exotic; for each entry, he gives a brief history of the item, its organic cultivation, nutrition, types, seasonality, selection hints, preparation, and uses. Each citation has a recipe or two featuring the item as an ingredients.
Beth
Jun 03, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
A lot of good tips on how to pick out the best produce and some intersting recipes.
Mwells2920
May 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Love this book! It's my new kitchen bible. To boot, my little brother picked it out for me for my birthday years ago. A gem of a book could be hiding on your very own bookshelf.
Jessica
Feb 22, 2008 rated it liked it
Well, I didn't read all of this book. There is just too much information to absorb at once. It's more like an encyclopdia, really. With recipes.
Meredith Henning
Jun 16, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
If you're at all in to organic foods, this one is great to have. Nice recipes too although I haven't tried any yet, LOTS of information though for those wanting a reason to go entirely organic.
Dayna
Apr 01, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This is the history of fruits and vegetables. It's a cookbook too! Mangia!
Maboo
Jul 06, 2007 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: people who like vegetables
Shelves: non-fiction
I actually quite like this book - it's useful at those times when you wonder what to do with a certain kind of ingredient.
John E Hounshel