Start by marking “Seul le silence” as Want to Read:
Seul le silence

Seul le silence

3.83  ·  Rating details ·  4,738 Ratings  ·  520 Reviews
Joseph a douze ans lorsqu’il découvre dans son village de Géorgie le corps d’une fillette assassinée. Une des premières victimes d’une longue série de crimes.
Des années plus tard, alors que l’affaire semble enfin élucidée, Joseph s’installe à New York. Mais, de nouveau, les meurtres d’enfants se multiplient…
Pour exorciser ses démons, Joseph part à la recherche de ce tueur
Published August 26th 2009 by Livre de Poche (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Seul le silence, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Seul le silence

Joni
Dec 24, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Finally! I have finished this book. I thought I never would. It's SOOO slow-moving, but the prose is just brilliant. It reads like an enchanting, on-going poem. Don't read it for the story, read it for the words, because the latter far surpasses the former.
However it is a good story as well, slightly marred by the fact that there was no mystery in it for me as two of my relatives let slip the murderer's name in front of me before I started reading. People like that should be hanged.
But even th
Anne
Jan 26, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A great big 5 STARS! Was blown away by this book, more by the style of writing than the story. Loved it!
Geraldine O'Hagan
Apr 25, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Philip
Jan 17, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I’ve been too busy to review the last few books I’ve read, but I want to make the effort and start again.

OK, so I picked this off the shelf mostly because of the title. It’s a nice, lyrical title and the backcopy said it was about a young group of boys who band together to discover who is killing little girls in their home town.

Sounds exciting, right?

I’m really torn about this book. On the one hand I think it’s really well written, even if the prose does get a little purple and overly descriptiv
Linda Parks
Sep 14, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
How exactly does a person move beyond a childhood filled with death? Death that seems to take form and follow... yet stay in front all the while, taunting with it's ability to control the very life one tries to escape?
This story begins in early 1900's with the death of a young boy's father - and what follows is a not so sweet serial killer mystery in surrounding Georgia country where everyone is suspect and one boy is destined to be haunted - if not hunted - forever.
I'll admit, I do like for s
David
Sep 06, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: general-fiction
A book with a lot of promise that fails miserably. What captured my attention in the beginning was the prose style...it was very evocative but then it came to drown in its over reliance on similes...that repeat themselves over and over and over.
The story itself started good but became unendingly episodic and cliche. The serial killer narrative and coming of age narratives never gelled. Characterizations were a little interesting but this was lost in a story that went nowhere, I stopped reading w
Emir Ibañez
Dec 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
La editorial RBA publicó este libro en español bajo el título de "Solo el silencio" pero no existe su ficha en Goodreads, de modo que reseñaré en ésta, su versión original.

Esta novela me dejó con muchos sentimientos encontrados, pero de manera buena.
Más allá de que la premisa nos dice que se trata de un asesino en serie, la historia no está encarada desde el punto de vista policial con investigaciones, interrogatorios, ni todo eso a lo que ya estamos acostumbrados.
Está narrado en primera persona
Калина Минчева
Исках да й дам 4 звезди, наистина, защото въпреки, че историята е твърде мрачна, подтискаща и драматична за моя вкус, не може да й се отрече майсторския стил и интригуващия характер, който те държи под напрежение до самия край и предизвиква шеметното разлистване на всяка следваща страница. Обаче силно ме разочарова решението на автора за края на историята - 460 страници градация, а накрая всичко свърши за два реда и толкова много въпроси останаха без отговори. Защо?! Предполагам е част от замисъ ...more
Tony
Nov 26, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ellory, R. J. A QUIET BELIEF IN ANGELS. (2009). *****. I believe that this is one of the best-written books I have read in years. Although it is a crime novel, it reads as much like a family saga as anything else. It is set in a small town in Georgia, where a young boy, Joseph Vaughan, grows up as most other boys in such a setting, until a tragedy strikes and a young girl is found murdered and violated on the outskirts of town. The townspeople are aghast at such an event, and begin to look at ea ...more
John Herbert
Read it and WEEP!!!!!!!!
Maybe or maybe not physically, but sure enough you'll weep inside at Joseph Vaughan's life in Augusta Falls and beyond.

Such a damaging life, as fear and outrageous violence takes away a normal upbringing, surrounding him with the ghosts of lost children, forever haunting his nightmares, as this beautifully crafted novel progresses.

You find yourself not so much identifying with the various characters in Augusta Falls, as becoming one of the townsfolk yourself, sharing thei
Христо Блажев
Тихата вяра в ангели не помага срещу дявола: http://knigolandia.info/book-review/t...

Джоузеф Воон е човекът, обречен да губи от първата до предпоследната страница на тази книга. От момента, в който губи баща си, до края, когато губи и илюзиите си. Елъри го преследва безпощадно и не го оставя да си поеме дъх – два пъти го дарява с любов, два пъти му я отнема безпощадно. Отнема му майка му, но бавно, перфидно, болезнено. Отнема му човека, който поема бащински функции в живота му – и го отнема пак
Carrie
Apr 26, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Eveyone who loves a thriller
Recommended to Carrie by: Roger Ellory
When I first started reading R.J.Ellory’s, A Quiet Belief in Angels, I thought,

"This is a con.....this can't be right.....this is a joke!"

I was convinced I was reading the works of the Master, Steinbeck.

Right from the opening lines, Ellory had me drawn in, taken under the influence of, and then totally intoxicated by his verbal skills and mastery over phrase, paragraph and perfect prose.

‘Sat at my window, chin almost touching the sill, and looked out into the night. Sky as hard as flint, the scu
Lili
Feb 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Here is a man with “a quiet belief in angels” a man who is both persistent and intrepid; I found this book hard to put down, a beautifully written book, the prose illuminating and the story startling. Never once was I tempted to skip the long passages so confidently written. The author writes an Incredible and disturbing account of the long, long hunt for a child killer, and in so doing relates the poignant, heart wrenching story of the boy who became that man. Brilliant.
Петър Панчев
Убиецът на тихата вяра в ангели
(Цялото ревю е тук: https://knijenpetar.wordpress.com/201...)

Доста книги за серийни убийци ми се събраха. Повечето не са никак леки за възприемане, ако се наблегне на частите с описания на мъчения и смърт. Но въпросът е в драмата и как светът на героите се срива, подхранван единствено от жестокости, за които от време на време чуваме и по новините. Всяка подобна книга е вдъхновена от нещо, макар и поукрасена тук-там, за да има по-голям ефект. „Тихата вяра в ангели“
Joe Maguire
Aug 02, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobooks
This is a somewhat difficult review to begin as I have quite mixed feelings having just finished the book. My conclusion is probably best summarised by saying that I really enjoyed the novel and am glad to have read it, despite some flaws that became more evident as the story developed.

The prose was excellent, with some descriptive passages that are pure poetry. This rich prose became a little formulaic as the book went on, and there was a noticeable increase in repetition of similes later in th
Morticia Adams
This wouldn’t have been a bad crime thriller, had it not been ruined by the author’s apparent belief that he’s a much better writer than he actually is. He aims for the lyrical and poetic and falls flat because he doesn’t apparently understand the value of restraint or economy, and that constant repetition of an idea will diminish its impact.

I suspect that many editors today aren’t ruthless enough, and are too ready to swallow their authors’ self-hyping. A good editor might have suggested that
Gail
Oct 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I do not have the right words to describe my absolute love of this amazing and wonderful book. It is simply stunning. I have not been able to put it down and just loved Joseph Calvin Vaughan: I just wanted to hug him and take away all his pain and the terrible tragedies that dogged his life from an early age.

I have read some amazing books this year and had just finished a terrific book before moving onto one of my favourite authors, R J Ellory and this heartbreaking novel.

All I can describe it
Karine
Aug 07, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: jessica
Mooi geschreven.
Deed me qua inhoud een beetje denken aan 'De kraaien zullen het zeggen' van Ann-Marie MacDonald en ook aan 'De kleine vriend' van Donna Tart. Denk dat ik deze kortelings nog eens ga lezen.

quote over lezen:
Mijn vader zei altijd tegen me dat het een van de belangrijkste dingen was die je kon doen. Hij zei dat je je hele leven in een hutje kon wonen in een dorpje van anderhalve man en een paardenkop, maar als je kon lezen, kon je in gedachten de hele wereld over reizen. (p26)

over r
Leslie
4* for this audiobook edition; 3* for the book itself

Mark Bramhall's voice was excellent for this book. It intensified the brooding Southern atmosphere significantly for me! As for the story, this isn't the type of mystery I prefer but I found it well written and the perspective of a person living in a rural area in which a serial killer of young girls is operating was interesting. However, there were a few times when the first person narration by Joseph Vaughn described things he couldn't have
Crystal Craig
mysterious, well-written, why?

When I got to the half-way point reading, R.J. Ellory's, A QUIET BELIEF IN ANGELS, something tragic happened. My chaotic outside life, the life I live away from reading got in the way. Nothing irritates me more. I kept thinking about the book, wondering what sick SOB was killing young girls, but be darned if I could clear my head five minutes to read. Finally, after having to abandon the book for a week, I finished today (Thursday, June twelfth, 2014).

This is my fi
Dorie
Oct 17, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime-fiction
This book starts when Joseph Vaughan's father dies. Joseph is 12 and hopes that his father has become an angel. That year the first little girl in his community is murdered. The book follows Joseph's life as he is touched by the horror of Hitler's war in Europe and the more local horror of the murders of young girls.

I have to say the plot was nothing like I anticipated. From the book jacket you are given to believe that the first part of the book will be about Joseph's childhood and the local mu
Wayne Wilson
Sep 20, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow! This was totally unexpected. This felt like true literature. A very dark book. A murder mystery but not like any murder mystery book I have ever read. From the title I was sort of hoping or expecting super natural events but it was not that kind of book.

We start out with a young man whose father just passed away, I think he is the 4th grade. He has a great teacher who challenges him and she see's in Joe (our protagonist) a writer to be. Well Joe has a girl class mate who is brutally raped a
Bibliophile
A slow-paced crime novel set in rural Georgia before the First World War. Little girls are gruesomely murdered, impacting the life and future of Joseph Vaughan, precocious teenager. It is slow going. A better writer would have gotten away with it, but Ellory's prose is over-the-top and repetitive, trying too hard to be poignant and poetic. Joseph's obsession with the murders and subsequent navel gazing might have been interesting had there been som depth to it, but he remains a two-dimensional c ...more
Patricia
Apr 03, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was recommended to me by a friend and I'm SO glad I listened and read this one. This was such a good story I didn't want to quit reading it. Could one person's life be just one tragedy after another as in this story? Joseph Vaughan lives in a town where a serial killer is killing young girls and he becomes engrossed with wanting to find out who the murderer is. All the while, he seems to suffer so many losses in his own life. The writing in this book is beautiful. I never guessed who t ...more
Darklady
É um livro interessante e com uma excelente narrativa, no entanto, creio que promete demais como thriller/policial e no fim não se aproxima disso. Breves descrições das meninas assassinadas e quase no final um momento ou outro que nos prende mas pouco mais que isso.
A história de vida da personagem principal é realmente surpreendente.
Laurie Popovac
Feb 22, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
overall a beautifully written novel. took me a bit to get through. a little long and slow to get going, but about halfway the pace picks up and is really interesting with twists and turns along the way.
Lyubov
Aug 07, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Рядко ми се случва една книга да тръгне изключително добре, но след това с всяка страница да започне да затъва все повече в клишета и авторово безсилие. Случаят с "Тихата вяра в ангели" се оказа точно такъв. Романът обещава да е много повече от разказ за жесток масов убиец като същевременно държи интереса и с криминалната нишка.

След наистина чудесните първи 50-60 страници обаче действието почти спира, нови улики за жестоките убийства на малките момиченца практически липсват, а труповете продълж
Astrid
Feb 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime
Tim
Aug 12, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's been awhile since I've encountered a narrator as tightly controlled by his author as Joseph Vaughan is in R.J. Ellory's "A Quiet Belief in Angels." There's a part of Joseph we can't quite get to, hidden by the cloak of enigma or numbness, and Ellory holds the reins relentlessly. But it's no wonder. In his story, spanning decades, Joseph is haunted by the brutal deaths of young girls in his small Georgia town. As the bodies of murdered and mutilated girls pile up in Augusta Falls and in surr ...more
Guardian Newspape...: Feb 2017 - A Quiet Belief in Angels 15 13 Feb 26, 2017 03:55PM
  • A Rich Full Death
  • The Great Impersonation
  • Death at the President's Lodging (Sir John Appleby, #1)
  • The Madman of Bergerac: Inspector Maigret #16
  • Notes from an Exhibition
  • The Visible World
  • Live Flesh
  • Poetic Justice (A Kate Fansler Mystery #3)
  • La Promesse des ténèbres
  • The Beast Must Die (Nigel Strangeways, #4)
  • Train d'enfer pour Ange rouge (Franck Sharko #1)
  • The Four Just Men  (The Four Just Men #1)
  • King Solomon's Carpet
  • The Poisoned Chocolates Case (Roger Sheringham Cases, #5)
  • Random Acts Of Heroic Love
  • Nightmares & Dreamscapes, Volume III
  • Relentless (Tina Boyd #2)
  • Hard Revolution
Roger began his first novel on November 4th, 1987 and did not stop, except for three days when he was going through a divorce from his first wife, until July of 1993. During this time he completed twenty-two novels, most of them in longhand, and accumulated several hundred polite and complimentary rejection letters from many different and varied publishers.

He stopped writing out of sheer frustrat
More about R.J. Ellory...
“Let the past be what it was, the present what it is, the future the best it can be.” 32 likes
“Love was the breaking and healing of hearts. Love was the misunderstood. Love was faith; love was the promise of now that became hope for the future. Love was a rhythm, a resonance, a reverberation. Love was awkward and foolish, it was aggressive and simple, possessed of so many indefinable qualities that it could never be conveyed in language. Love was being.” 13 likes