Start by marking “Ageless Memory” as Want to Read:
Ageless Memory

Ageless Memory

3.77  ·  Rating details ·  146 Ratings  ·  15 Reviews
Harry Lorayne 80+ hones and teaches memory systems still, for over 40 years. Techniques to recall numbers, words, names, faces, appointments, possessions, speeches, cards, languages, verses, Morse code, and more. Special brain teasers to exercise your mind. Instructions start at associating arresting personal images and extend without limits.
Published 2009 by Black Dog & Leventhal (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Ageless Memory, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ageless Memory

Arminius
Harry Lorayne is famous for teaching memory techniques. He has been on many talk shows since the early 1970’s, such as Johnny Carson’s Tonight Show. He taught Ann Bancroft his system to memorize lines she needed to know when she was acting. In his book he leaves detailed instructions how to remember most tasks. Although I haven’t hit age 50 yet, I thought I could still learn something about memory from his book.

He makes it sound like his methods are easy. In theory he is right; in practice I a
Ty Brown
Aug 08, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There are a ton of awesome memory tricks in here that I'm now using religiously. Love it!!! Especially for the numbers and lists of my life.
Juergen John Roscher
Years ago I read a book by Harry Lorayne and Jerry Lucas titled “The Memory Book” that I found to provide some cool “tricks” to remember lists and numbers. Since I am getting older and have a few “senior moments”, I thought it could not hurt to see what the author recommends to help improve my memory.

FYI, Jerry Lucas was a former NBA player; I still remember one of his stories about attending school at Ohio State and having a professor ripping him about not getting any breaks because he was an
Ilona
Mar 31, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: health, living, 2014
I admit up front I didn't finish reading this book. The latter chapters were different applications of the techniques explained in the first chapters, and most of the applications had no relevance to my life.

But that's okay! That's more than okay, because the first few chapters were amazing! I read the first six or so chapters in a couple of days. Took my time, tried the exercises as I went along. Now, I am very absent-minded. This is not a middle-aged thing; I've been absent-minded since my twe
An Odd1
Jun 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fan
Memory tricks start with visualizing silly pictures triggers: the first, the strongest. Lorayne uses his choices for demonstration, and advises choosing your own. This, I've done before, but he extends to memorize anything IF you want to expend MUCH effort. He applies the method to appointments, bible verses, dates, speeches, specialized fields: cards, stock market symbols, airports, art, cinema, literature, wine - anything is possible.

His livelihood depends on the skill, mine does not. For me,
Bryan Murdock
Oct 25, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Ugh. I got on a bit of a memory kick this summer after seeing a presentation from some past USA Memory Champions. I picked up what I could find at the library. One of the books, Moonwalking with Einstein mentioned "tacky self-help books." This is definitely one of the tacky ones. The first chapter or two consists of the author telling you how great the rest of the book is going to be because he is going to teach you *his* memory techniques that are *amazing* and *powerful*, and you are so lucky ...more
William Schram
Jul 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
It's pretty good. Contains most of the memory systems that I have heard of before, but adds ways to apply them to all sorts of situations.

Quite useful for a number of things. The only problem with it is that it seems to be targeted to people that are older than I am at present (29), so a lot of the stuff didn't apply, but it is still useful to me.

The only sticking point for me is the phonetic alphabet used to remember long numbers and the basis of the peg system. I guess I just don't care enough
Tom Schulte
Oct 13, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read by the author with enthusiasm and style, this is a witty and entertaining way to learn his easy, intuitive and powerful method. Don't buy the "over 50" thing. Anyone of any age interested in increasing memory retention could and should benefit from this quick, valuable read.
Mark
Aug 10, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
ok, I am not over 50 yet, and I didn't actually practice the techniques much, but I can see that they are effective for any age. Actually, I don't see why memory techniques are not taught in grade school.
Artmays23
3 hrs and 50 mins
Angi Solley
Jan 16, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very cool. Takes some work and similar to reading a textbook but has taught me a skill that I wanted to exist in my brain.
Maetta
Dec 31, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: how-to
This one requires practice.
Billy
May 20, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A lot of standard memory techniques. However, too much of the book is name dropping about working with celebrities or appearing on TV shows.
Steve
Feb 12, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Experienced this via audiobook, and found it very interesting, and many of the techniques were quite helpful in improving my memory.
Talbot Hook
Jun 23, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Worthless, worthless, worthless. Utterly worthless.
Kevin Horsley
Apr 10, 2015
Joe
Nov 22, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • The Other Kind of Smart: Simple Ways to Boost Your Emotional Intelligence for Greater Personal Effectiveness and Success
  • Your Memory: How It Works and How to Improve It
  • The Language of Emotional Intelligence: The Five Essential Tools for Building Powerful and Effective Relationships
  • Go Suck a Lemon: Strategies for Improving Your Emotional Intelligence
  • Memory Book: How to Remember Anything You Want
  • Cook's Illustrated 1993 (Cook's Illustrated Annuals)
  • Emotional Intelligence at Work
  • Brain Power: Improve Your Mind as You Age
  • Mindhacker: 60 Tips, Tricks, and Games to Take Your Mind to the Next Level
  • The Sacketts Vol 2 (The Daybreakers / Sackett / Lando / Mojave Crossing)
  • How to Raise a Child with a High EQ: A Parents' Guide to Emotional Intelligence
  • Building Emotional Intelligence: Techniques to Cultivate Inner Strength in Children [With CD]
  • Too Wicked To Love
  • 50 Prosperity Classics: Attract It, Create It, Manage It, Share It
  • Miracle Mongers and Their Methods
  • Secrets to Winning at Office Politics: How to Achieve Your Goals and Increase Your Influence at Work
  • Yoga for Runners
  • Descent: A Memoir of Madness
Harry Lorayne is an American magician and a memory-training specialist and writer who was called "The Yoda of Memory Training" by Time magazine. He is well known for his mnemonic demonstrations and has appeared on numerous television shows including The Tonight Show Starring Johnny Carson. His book The Memory Book was a New York Times bestseller. His card magic, especially his innovations in card ...more
More about Harry Lorayne...