Start by marking “Chloe” as Want to Read:
Chloe

Chloe

3.95  ·  Rating details ·  39 Ratings  ·  10 Reviews
The Xeric-Winning debut graphic novel by Hans Rickheit, creator of the critically renowned The Squirrel Machine. Chloe is an estranged teenager living in a stifling rural New England town. After meeting an eccentric dwarfish hermit, she begins a descent into impossible visionary landscapes, sexual deviancy, and the forbidden realms of The Under-Brain. Contained in this ear ...more
Published February 2002 by Chrome Fetus Comics (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Chloe, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Chloe

Anthony Vacca
Oct 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
A grim yet oddly touching exercise in Cronenbergian imagery and teenage alienation, Chloe is Hans Rickheit's sparse and sometimes stylistically crude debut. Oddly enough, I enjoyed this more than his follow-up, the decadent and ornately psychosexual the Squirrel Machine, which should have been right up my alley with all its detailed drawings of machinery and bodily orifices intermingling. (I am a hit at parties.) Regardless, this is worth a read and deserves a reissuing from some kind-heated and ...more
Crystal Starr Light
Bullet Review:

This writer/artist is completely insane - but maybe not as bad as I've become. Because I went from being like, "WHAT AM I READING?!" To "OMG THIS IS NUTS I MUST READ MORE!"

"Chloe" has the most "linear", coherent of a storyline of all of Rickhelt's work and despite weird sexual situations (no, really, they are WEIRD and hugely NSFW), it's probably one of my favorites of Rickhelt's.

Yes, you heard me! I now have a favorite!

I just hope the FBI don't realize I checked this out and arres
Nate D
Apr 28, 2011 rated it liked it
Extreme teen alienation, squeamish Hans Bellmer-meets-Cronenberg erotica, and maybe early-onset-schizophrenia. Actually bleaker and angstier than Squirrel Machine which makes me appreciate that other work a little more -- it sounds a few more notes effectively.
M.P. Johnson
Jun 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
Surprisingly Subtle For Something So Messed Up

The style of art is disarming. It looks sort of innocent. Looking at the cover, I never suspected the depths of depravity I would find inside. This contains one of the most disturbing sex scenes I have ever seen in any comic book, and I have read a lot of screwed up comic books. It goes on for pages. There are births. There's bloodshed. Things are entering every which way and exiting and wow. This book is worth checking out if only for that scene, bu
Sofia
Nov 10, 2017 rated it it was ok
This feels like a damn weird piece of criticism, but dude could really learn from recent developments in amateur hentai, compression, et al...
Derek Royal
May 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
After reading The Squirrel Machine and Folly, I hunted down Chloe, and luckily, I found it online at Rickheit's website. Although I can tell this is an early work, it's a wonderful narrative, and it anticipates many of things you'll find in his later stories (collected in Folly) and The Squirrel Machine.
Bandit
Feb 03, 2012 rated it did not like it
This graphic novel was very much like the inside of someone's sexually perverse demented nightmare. I don't consider myself a prude, but I found it pretty disturbing. The art itself (with exception of the creatures) was very minimalistic to the point of nondescript. The subject matter was bizarre, maybe it could be filed away as bizarro. Overall a shocking but not particularly enjoyable read.
Joey
Apr 29, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: comics
I have no idea what happened in this story. It was very surreal and visceral - I had a pretty intense reaction after reading it. I felt a lot of sympathy for Chloe despite her apparent apathy. I felt uncomfortable in relating to her, but I think that was part of the point.
Never
Jan 03, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics-gn
A wonderful book, though it didn't pull me in as much as/wasn't quite as charming as The Squirrel Machine. Next up: Chrome Fetus issues!
Daniel Stephens
Oct 31, 2013 rated it really liked it
Beautiful and bizarre graphic novel about teenage alienation.
Robert

Kaylin Gunneson
Nov 07, 2016
Mariah
Jun 28, 2014

Hans Rickheit has been an artist and cartoonist for over 25 years with a devoted following of readers and fans. His comics and drawings have entertained and educated people worldwide, having been featured in publications such as THE STRANGER, KRAMER'S ERGOT, PROPER GANDER, PAPER RODEO, LEGAL ACTION COMICS, BLURRED VISIONS, HOAX and TYPHON. In addition, his work can be found in other media, from po
More about Hans Rickheit