Start by marking “The Dog Who Bit a Policeman (Porfiry Rostnikov, #12)” as Want to Read:
The Dog Who Bit a Policeman (Porfiry Rostnikov, #12)

The Dog Who Bit a Policeman

(Porfiry Rostnikov #12)

The world is a strange, sad, and wonderful place. And Moscow is at its center. Killers are running through the city - some on two legs, some on four. To lower the body count, Porfiry Rosmikov, the Moscow Police's one-legged inspector, will have to move faster than anybody. Stalwarts of the Russian Mafia who live by the sword are finally dying by it. One is found naked and ...more
Published July 1st 1998 by Mysterious Press

To ask other readers questions about The Dog Who Bit a Policeman, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Dog Who Bit a Policeman

Chuck Barksdale
Mar 01, 2012 rated it really liked it
Although I had read some books by Stuart Kaminsky in the past few years, I had not read one of his Rostnikov books for over 10 years. I guess I had caught up with the serices when I stopped reading them and fortunately for me, I now have several more to read. This is a great series but probably not for everyone. Kaminsky certainly seems to do a great job of making the reader feel the struggles of the Russian and the Russian police in this series and has allowed for the growth of the many charact ...more
Mary
Jan 12, 2009 rated it it was amazing
This was one of the first Rostnikov mysteries I read. It took me awhile to get into it, as you have to get used to the names. I confess I'm not good with names and that makes this series one where I have to pay more attention to the details. But oh, the pictures Kaminsky paints! The atmosphere in this whole series is one that everyone should witness to be reminded of how much we need to appreciate being Americans and having the freedoms we have. I will re-read this again very soon, as just looki ...more
Diogenes
May 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
There's a feeling that this is almost a real Russian book that has been translated, perhaps because it seems so authentic. But if that were the case, the author would surely be locked up by the authorities.

The characters are amazingly likable, even some of the bad ones. The atmosphere is thick with irony and the dialog crisp and enjoyable. Mr. Kaminsky, much like Cruz Smith, brings post communist 1990s Russia right into one's lap.
Harriet
Mar 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed it thoroughly!! There's a lovely simplicity to the writing. The characters are very well drawn and very interesting and unique. The book was
well plotted and ended on a happy note which I always appreciate. It was very Russian and gave a good sense of what it means to live in Russia today.
Marfy
I am always amazed at how Kaminsky can write with such simple language, and yet convey so much emotion. The title sounds downright simplistic, but after you've read the book, it is meaningful. What a talent.
Yvonne
Aug 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great noir crime story. Russia. What history, what despair and what a sense of irony you must have to live there. Set in Moscow, this fascinating thriller is full of corruption, gangsters, mafia but also honour, humour, civility and love. And lots of tidbits about Russia, a country I am fascinated by but wouldn't want to live in, or even visit.
A wonderful cast of characters led by inspector Porfiry Rostnikov, now a one legged man having had his poor bad leg finally amputated.
Several cases goin
Sherry
Jun 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
love all books about Profiry Rostnkiov!!
LydiaJoy
Aug 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Re-reading the whole series and loving the books once again.
Alan
Mar 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
This is not a mystery but a chronicle of a few days in the lives of the members of the Office of Special Investigations. Rostinkov still leads his small team, and his home life is mostly settled as he and Sarah have taken in a grandmother whom Rostinkov helped to get released from prison and her granddaughters. Karpo has nothing left but his work. Sasha is finally putting the finishing touches on destroying his marriage.

Aa all of this goes on, the crimes they are working feel that they more in t
Ric
Apr 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
In a time in a world where crime underlies all society along comes a set of heroes who do what they can to make their world better. Porfiry and the other inspectors work at solving crimes against a system founded in corruption trying to evolve into a reasonable Democracy. These stories are a good read with our heroes getting some good in their lives. There are times when you cringe and times that you can smile at while you follow each character.
Peter Barr
Dec 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is a very good edition in the series of Inspector Porfiry Rostnikov mysteries. He is a policeman in Moscow and the stories involve him, several officers and their families. In this novel, they are investigating a missing politician, gang murders and dog fighting. The characters are likeable and the story pulled me in.
Steve
Sep 18, 2012 rated it really liked it
I'm very pleased to say thatI've finally gotten accustomed to
Inspector Porfiry Rostnikov. IT took ahile with unfamiliar names and locales.
I'm now on #3.

I just obtained 5 old Toby Peters (I mean really old).

I'm pleased to have re-discovered Stuart Kaminsky.
Perfect "clearing the head" reading.
Escape with all caps.

PS I still love Lieberman and company.
Heather
Mar 15, 2016 rated it liked it
Average police mystery. Three completely separate crimes being solved by separate but related police teams. I expected them to come together by the end, but they didn't. And all of the very long Russian names were really confusing.
George
Oct 18, 2012 rated it it was ok
Did not hold my interest as intently as previous Kaminsky books. Too many stories with no connection other than characters. Hope the next one is better as I am getting near the end of Stuart Kaminsky's novels.
John
Jan 31, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Kaminsky does a particularly good job with all the characters in keeping them distinct, real, interesting and interacting. Plots go all over but are coherent in the end and told well.
Frances L
Liked this book about a corrupt dog fighting group and the Russian Mafia. Also gave a good description of Russians and their lives after the fall of Communism.
Fred
May 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
Good, but, I like the Lieberman and Toby Peters series more. The Russian series has no humor and you need to breathe every so often. And dog fighting is not my thing. It's too cruel.
Deb
May 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
Writing was lean and smart. Kaminsky's dialog creates living, believeable characters. Plot involves the reader, never boring. Was a surprisingly delicious read.
Becca
Nov 29, 2012 rated it really liked it
I've jumped into the middle of it, but I'm thoroughly enjoying the series thus far both for the continuity and growth of characters as well as the mysteries solved in each book.
the_cat
Gerald
Oct 02, 2018
Bob
Nov 09, 2014

• Bleeding Hearts (Gregor Demarkian, #11)
  • One-Way Ticket (Brady Coyne, #25)
  • A Mortal Terror (Billy Boyle World War II, #6)
  • Redemption Street (Moe Prager, #2)
  • The Gentle Axe (Porfiry Petrovich, #1)
  • The Twelfth Department (Captain Alexei Dimitrevich Korolev, #3)
  • A Garden Of Vipers (Carson Ryder, #3)
  • Hancock Park (Kate Delafield, #8)
  • Red Square (Arkady Renko, #3)
  • Nightcrawlers (Nameless Detective, #29)
  • Playing for Thrills
  • Louise's Dilemma (Louise Pearlie, #3)
  • Roots of Christian Mysticism: Texts from Patristic Era with Commentary
  • Stolen Souls (Jack Lennon Investigations #3)
  • Bedelia
Received the Shamus Award, "The Eye" (Lifetime achievment award) in 2007.

Stuart M. Kaminsky is author of 50 published novels, 5 biographies, 4 textbooks and 35 short stories. He also has screenwriting credits on four produced films including ONCE UPON A TIME IN AMERICA, ENEMY TERRITORY, A WOMAN IN THE WIND and HIDDEN FEARS. He is a past president of the Mystery Writers of America and has been nomi

Porfiry Rostnikov (1 - 10 of 16 books)
  • Death of a Dissident (Porfiry Rostnikov, #1)
  • Black Knight in Red Square (Porfiry Rostnikov, #2)
  • Red Chameleon (Porfiry Rostnikov, #3)
  • A Fine Red Rain (Porfiry Rostnikov, #4)
  • A Cold Red Sunrise (Porfiry Rostnikov, #5)
  • The Man Who Walked Like a Bear (Porfiry Rostnikov, #6)
  • Rostnikov's Vacation (Porfiry Rostnikov, #7)
  • Death of a Russian Priest (Porfiry Rostnikov, #8)
  • Hard Currency (Porfiry Rostnikov, #9)
  • Blood and Rubles (Porfiry Rostnikov, #10)