Start by marking “Dark Country (Dungirri, #2)” as Want to Read:
Dark Country (Dungirri, #2)

Dark Country (Dungirri #2)

4.28  ·  Rating details ·  329 Ratings  ·  39 Reviews
Dark Country is the second book in the loosely-linked series set in Dungirri.

Most people in the small town of Dungirri have considered Morgan ‘Gil’ Gillespie a murderer for eighteen years, so he expects no welcome on his return. What he doesn’t expect is the discovery of a woman’s tortured body in the boot of his car, and new accusations of murder.

Wearied by too many death
Published September 1st 2009 by Hachette Australia (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Dark Country, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dark Country

Sharon
Aug 14, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Gil was in two minds about returning to his hometown of Dungirri, but there was someone he wanted to visit. Driving towards town he had to make a detour due the road being flooded. As he was driving along the detoured road he was stopped by a car on the side of the road with blue and red flashing lights. Sergeant Kris Matthews’s patrol car was bogged and she needed, Gil to get a message back to her constable to help assist her. Gil offers Kris a lift and at first she is hesitant then decides to ...more
Lynn Spencer
Nov 12, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
I picked this book up at RWA several years ago, and now that I've read it, I'm dying to read more from this author. I really wish she had an American publisher! One can order from Australia but the prices are exorbitant both fro print and digital editions.

This particular book centers on the homecoming of Morgan Gillespie, son of a town troublemaker who left Dungirri a convicted felon himself. Now, years later and cleared of his conviction, Gil has returned to a town that welcomes him with someth
Carol Preston
Jul 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this story set in a small country Aussie town. Kris is a tough cop on the outside, with a soft and lonely heart. Gil is suspicious of law enforcers, guarded and self sufficient. He has connections to a criminal element, has been in prison, and is clearly not a man to toy with. The relationship that grows between them as they deal with murder, drug dealing, arson and revenge, is fraught with problems but surprisingly tender. Those who like their crime stories laced with unlikely romance ...more
Mar 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I was so pleasantly surprised by this book! I really loved the fact that it was basically a crime thriller with just a tiny touch of romance. And what a story it was! I loved the remote setting with the small town feel, but somehow it still had such a sense of space to it. The whole book was first rate and I can't wait to read more.
Bree T
Sep 30, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Morgan ‘Gil’ Gillespie has been away from the small country town of Dungirri for a long time. Given most of the population believe he’s a murderer and that he didn’t serve long enough in jail for his crime, it’s no real surprise to him that there’s no warm welcome. But Gil is back to help someone that helped him at a time he desperately needed it and if that stirs up the locals, so be it. He owes someone and he always pays his debts.

When he is driving into town, he meets the local police sergean
puppitypup
Nov 14, 2015 rated it liked it
Romantic Suspense Disappointing

Well, this did not live up to my expectations, but I suspect that's partly my fault. After the first book in the series, which was remarkable, I had purposely not jumped right into Book 2, saving it instead for a special treat.

While there is nothing really wrong with Dark Country, it didn't grab hold of me, making me feel like I was a part of Dungirri. That deep loneliness and despair, intrinsically tied to the dusty, dying town, never made an appearance here. The
Jenny
.Dark Country is about the romance between Morgan Gillespie, Dungirri's bad boy and Kris Matthews, the local police sergeant. Readers of Dark Country will realise that you can not take things at face value and not judge people on what you do not understand. I must enjoy bad boys because I liked the portrayal of Morgan Gillespie and how Gill coped with the small town thought of him. Dark Country another drop dead and read book by Bronwyn Parry. Readers of Dark Country will love the twist and turn ...more
Stacey Houllis
Sep 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I thoroughly loved this book Dark Country by Bronwyn Parry. It is the story of Morgan Gil Gillespie and Sergeant Kris Mathews. After being away from Dungirri for many years Gil decides to return to thank the woman who looked out for him when he was growing up after his mother left while on he was he finds Sergeant Kris Mathews on the side of the road with a damaged police car he offers her a lift to town. He does not tell her his full name as he was once in prison for death of young woman in car ...more
Richard Heggie
Oct 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great Ozzie country setting and story. Well written and engaging, complex plot.
Michele
Mar 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
I usually don't red books that seem to have a wrongfully accused character, so I put it down. But being a voracious reader it was the only thing in the car when I had time to kill. Well am I glad I started again. A great read and looking forward to reading her others Although set in same place seem to be separate characters
Lauren K
Sep 07, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Dark Country is the second book in the Dungirri series by Bronwyn Parry following on from As Darkness Falls, introducing new hero and heroine; Gil and Kris.

Gil returns to his hometown, Dungirri after estrangement for 18 years and comes across new acting Sergeant Kris Matthews’s experiencing car troubles. The mood is set instantly with Gil on edge around Kris because of his mistreatment by the police force in the past, yet his protectiveness of this red-headed beauty is sparked instantly. He off
Brenda
Feb 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a signed copy by Bronwyn done at her 'signing' in the Collins Store in Tamworth Saturday 31st March, 2012.

In this the second of the Dungirri series, police Sergeant Kris Matthews is the dominant character. We met her first in As Darkness Falls, and it was lovely to learn more about her in this novel.

When Gil came across a police car in the heavy rain and darkness, with its lights flashing, and the raincoat clad cop using a torch to wave him to a stop, he swore, glanced at the speedo, and
Annabel
Mar 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Stunning. Perfect as both a stand alone and as the second in the series.

I was waiting on tenterhooks for this book to come out, you can probably accurately envisage me haunting local bookshops, ever since the first book in the loosely linked series As Darkness Falls fell into my possession. I had a lingering doubt that maybe, it wouldn't be as good? Could it be as good? It is.

Gil has all the trappings of a traditional tall, dark, handsome hero with a dangerous past but there's nothing pat or cl
Dísir
The spotlight falls on Morgan Gillespie and Kris Matthews - a supporting character in the first book - this time around and we're thrown deep into complex issues surrounding witness protection, the limits of law enforcement, organised crime and its spillover into the rural parts of Australia.

I dove straight into Bronwyn Parry's second book in the Dungirri series as soon as I got hold of my copy and while I didn't like it as much as I did her first, there was pretty good round storytelling and a
Bridgit
May 27, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This was my first by Australian author Bronwyn Parry and I really enjoyed it. It was a fascinating look at a suspense/romance in the Australian bush. I havent really read anything about this area of the world before, so that, combined with the compelling, well-developed plot really drew me in. Not sure I can find any of her other books here in the US, but I'll be on the lookout for them.
Helen
Jun 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
Gripping story with lots of suspense, set in a country town in Australia. Sympathetic characters and some real baddies too. Love the two main characters and how the history of the town and its people is woven in. The author gets the romance just right.

Alice
Jun 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
See my thoughts on the first in the 'loosely linked' series by Bronwyn Parry. Ditto. I can't wait for number three to be released. They are wonderful stories and I need to read them in one sitting. Best thing is - I know I'll re-read them.
May 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Bronwyn Parry has a lovely way of depicting the Australian Outback. This book had the right amount of suspense and the perfect amount of developing attraction between 2 characters. Now to find the first and third books of Ms Parry's.
Sharon
Sep 15, 2012 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed number 2 in the trilogy with this one moving along nicely as the 1st book did. Parry's Australian setting combined with her good bugger characters weaves a plausible scene of reality versus will they won't they. I'm looking forward to book 3

Robbyn
Sep 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing
What a great book, I really enjoyed this, something always happening, twists and turns to keep you in suspense, keep you reading. Will definitely be buying her other 2 books and am hoping to have the same effect. Keep you intrigued, wondering.
Yvonne Weaven
Great read
Leanne
Dec 28, 2011 rated it liked it
Not a bad holiday read. Crime/romance set in outback NSW but just too many incidents involving the main characters to make the plot in any way realistic.
Jan 30, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
another good book
Zelda
Feb 26, 2012 rated it really liked it
loved it
Nancy Adams
Aug 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Love this new -to -me Australian series. Each book focuses on different characters within a small community.
Vanessa Dingle
Jul 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
Following on from #1 another easy captivating read.
Nerissa
Jul 26, 2011 rated it it was ok
Good Aussie drama. Great characters and smal town attitudes.
Ruth
Jun 10, 2005 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read2010
One of the few Australian romantic suspense writers around. Excellent.
Manda Collins
Mar 08, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Even better than the first book in this series. More later. For now I just want to know when the next one is coming out. I'm hoping that Mark Strelitz will be getting his own book.
Jaye
May 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing
awesome
Q&A with Bronwyn ...: Bron's other books 9 11 May 02, 2012 02:36AM
  • Wings of Fear (Border Watch #1)
  • Morgan's Law
  • Brumby's Run
  • Man Drought
  • Taking a Chance
  • Promises
I grew up surrounded by books, and have a love of reading and stories. Commercial fiction, literary fiction, children’s literature, history – my bookshelves are forever overflowing!

I write gritty romantic suspense, set in Australia's wild places. My six novels and a novella are in two loosely-linked series, but each book stands alone and is a full story.

I live on 100 acres of beautiful bushland
More about Bronwyn Parry

Dungirri (3 books)
  • As Darkness Falls (Dungirri, #1)
  • Darkening Skies (Dungirri #3)

Mystery & Thrillers Deals

• Killman Creek (Stillhouse Lake, #2)
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Shaken (Jack Daniels Mystery, #7)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Her Last Day (Jessie Cole, #1)
  • Split Second
    $3.99 $1.49
  • The Killing Lessons (Valerie Hart, #1)
  • Scat
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Blood Money (Joe Dillard #6)
  • Bluebird, Bluebird
    $13.99 $2.99
  • The Falcon at the Portal (Amelia Peabody, #11)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • In Good Faith (Joe Dillard #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Forbidden Stone (The Copernicus Legacy, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Monogram Murders
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Hanging Judge (The Judge Norcross Novels)
  • The Visitant: A Venetian Ghost Story
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Die Like an Eagle (Meg Langslow #20)
  • Damaged
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Virgin in the Ice (The Chronicles of Brother Cadfael)
  • Little Monsters
    $10.99 $1.99
  • A Reason to Live (A Marty Singer Mystery Book 1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Agatha Raisin and the Potted Gardener (Agatha Raisin, #3)
  • Infinity Born
    $6.99 $2.49
  • True Fiction (Ian Ludlow Thrillers #1)
  • The Long and Faraway Gone
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Deadly Recall (Jessie Cole, #2)
  • The Curse of the Pharaohs
  • When You Disappeared
  • Queenpin
  • I'm Thinking of Ending Things
  • Song of Kali
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Counterfeit Heiress (Lady Emily, #9)
    $7.09 $2.99
  • Ugly Young Thing (Strangers #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Burglars Can't Be Choosers (Rhodenbarr, #1)
  • Trespassing
    $5.99 $2.99
  • In Cold Blood (A Beatrix Rose Thriller Book 1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Mysterious Benedict Society
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Stranger Inside (Strangers #4)
  • The Remains
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Doubt (Caroline Auden, #1)
  • The Marriage Pact
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Signature Wounds (A Grale Thriller Book 1)
  • The Trouble with Goats and Sheep
    $11.99 $2.99
  • The Naturalist (The Naturalist #1)
  • The Girl from the Sea
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Hammerhead Ranch Motel (Serge Storms Mystery, #2)
    $2.99 $1.99
  • The Five Red Herrings (Lord Peter Wimsey, #7)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Lady Cop Makes Trouble  (Kopp Sisters #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Stillhouse Lake (Stillhouse Lake, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • And Only to Deceive (Lady Emily, #1)
    $10.49 $1.99
  • Furious (Faith McMann Trilogy, #1)
  • The Forgotten Ones
  • Moving Day
  • Jade Dragon Mountain
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Hangman's Daughter (The Hangman's Daughter, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The 19th Wife
    $14.99 $1.99
  • Dead Over Heels (Aurora Teagarden, #5)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Whole Enchilada (A Goldy Schulz Culinary Mystery #17)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Curse (Blur Trilogy #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Poisonous (Max Revere, #3)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • An Expert in Murder (Josephine Tey, #1)
    $4.74 $1.99
  • Mission Flats
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Blur  (Blur Trilogy #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Death of a Travelling Man (Hamish Macbeth Mystery)
  • The Grave Tender
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Roseanna (Martin Beck, #1)
  • I Am Watching You
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Persons Unknown (DS Manon, #2)
    $11.99 $1.99
  • The Given Day
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Outrage (Faith McMann Trilogy, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Lion (John Corey, #5)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Injustice For All (Joe Dillard #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Wrath (Faith McMann Trilogy, #3)
  • The Stockholm Octavo
  • Fractured
  • The Winter Over
  • American by Day
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Shifting Tide (William Monk, #14)
  • The Necklace
  • Good Behavior
    $5.99 $2.99
  • The Big Fear (Hollow City Series, #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Birdman
  • Clockers
  • Never Smile at Strangers
  • The Moonlit Garden
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Holy Island (DCI Ryan Mysteries, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • The Barkeep
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Good Liar
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Cold (A Joe Tiplady Thriller #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • A Criminal Defense (Philadelphia Legal #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Poppy Done to Death (Aurora Teagarden, #8)
  • Twisted
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Open and Shut (Andy Carpenter Series, #1)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • No Shred of Evidence (Inspector Ian Rutledge, #18)