Start by marking “For One Moment: A Biographical Story” as Want to Read:
For One Moment: A Biographical Story

For One Moment: A Biographical Story

Published June 1st 1992 by Christian Light Publications Inc (first published June 1964)

To ask other readers questions about For One Moment, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about For One Moment

Start your review of For One Moment: A Biographical Story
Bookworm
Jan 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
A deep and inspiring testimony of a young man who tried to fill the void with everything, even making Hitler his idol-before one moment changed his life forever! Greatly enjoyed this, I couldn't put it down. :)
Mikejencostanzo
Jul 02, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
This was one of a number of books left by my grandparents after their death. Rows and piles of yellowed, dusty volumes were laid out to be divided among aunts, uncles and cousins. Not many of them had the benefit of appealing book-cover design to win over their next reader -- truly a "can't judge a book by the cover" scenario. But this one was a worthy pick.

Mom picked it up before I did -- a slightly more voracious reader than I -- I often trust her to recommend (or not recommend) books that
Diane Fournier
Dec 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Fast moving, hard to put down. Two very young boys deal with the divorce of their parents and having to live with a father and step-mother who would rather they were not around. One of the boys ends up following Hitler and joins his army. Lots of characters in the story bring hope and a very strong message of faith develops. Really enjoyed this read.
Abigail
Sep 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
i really liked this one though it was really sad.
i don't like the ending.....i wish there was more to the story!!!!
Wayne Walker
Dec 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Around 1918, five-year-old Herbert (Herbe) Englehardt is living in Dresden, Germany, with his mother Grete, teenage sister Emeline, and four-year-older brother William (Willie) who is somewhat mentally challenged. Herbe’s father Ludwig has been away as a soldier fighting for the Kaiser during World War I. The family is looking forward to having him back after the war ends. However, when Ludwig returns home following the war, he divorces Grete, marries his new Italian girlfriend Nelda, and takes ...more
Lily Lindsey-Aubrey
Nov 06, 2015 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: NO ONE
Recommended to Lily by: The Thrash family
This book simply disgusted me. I know that it is biographical, but the way that the situation was presented made me very angry.

It's about an abusive husband and father, and what angers me is that the wife stays with him, lets him abuse her, and worst of all, lets him abuse her children. More than that, it's portrayed as a good, meek, humble, right thing for her to do.

It wasn't.

It's one thing if you want to let someone beat you up. But to let him beat up your children is another matter. She
Tammy Swartzendruber jata
another book I've read over and over as a Mennonite teenager. This book has stayed with me for life. As Mennonite we were taught that it was wrong to go to war. If we ever had any doubts as to the severity of war, this book removed all doubts. Any going man who was even harboring the thought of enlisting, was given this book to read. 40 years later I can still recall the image and horror in my mind and heart as I read how the " severed arm laid in the mud, like gravy."
Gemma
Apr 13, 2015 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: No one
Recommended to Gemma by: a friend
Not worth another read. The characters, writing, and plot were all pretty pathetic. I realize that it was a true story, which makes it more difficult, but this book was not even slightly enjoyable. It rambled and dragged on for what seemed like forever.
Sue
Jan 21, 2010 added it
My very Favorite books
Douglas
Dec 16, 2008 rated it really liked it
Outstanding true story of former German soldier in WWII...becomes a Christian, marries, leaves Germany, emigrates to America, etc. Loved it.
Gloria
Jul 11, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• The Prisoner in the Third Cell
  • A Walk Through Advent: 31 Inspirational Readings
  • Soon: The Beginning of the End (Underground Zealot, #1)
  • The Tuscan Secret
  • Perfectly Human: Nine Months with Cerian
  • Coast to Coast (Miracles of Marble Cove, #23)
  • The Irresistible Revolution: Living as an Ordinary Radical
  • Blessings in Disguise (Sugarcreek Amish Mysteries, #1)
  • The Faith of America's First Ladies
  • Living Beyond Your Feelings: Controlling Emotions So They Don't Control You
  • Where Hope Dwells (Sugarcreek Amish Mysteries, #2)
  • The Spymistress
  • Buffalo West Wing (A White House Chef Mystery, #4)
  • Uphill Both Ways
  • An Unexpected Grace
  • The Parables: Understanding What Jesus Meant
  • Straight Down a Crooked Lane
  • Three Shall Be One
Christmas Carol Kauffman (December 25, 1901 - January 30, 1969) was a Mennonite author of inspirational Christian literature. Kauffman was best known for her semi-biographical novels, and her writings were largely based on the life stories of people she met through the mission work she performed with her husband, pastor Nelson E. Kauffman. She is mother of James Kauffman. -wikipedia