Start by marking “The Anne of Green Gables Treasury” as Want to Read:
The Anne of Green Gables Treasury

The Anne of Green Gables Treasury

4.48  ·  Rating details ·  729 Ratings  ·  26 Reviews
Generations have grown up reading the books about orphaned Anne Shirley and her life and adventures on Prince Edward Island in the late 1800s. This treasury invites readers to enter Anne's Victorian world and learn about the customs and fashions, inventions and world events of the time.
Published November 14th 1991 by Viking Books (first published 1991)

To ask other readers questions about The Anne of Green Gables Treasury, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Anne of Green Gables Treasury

Ellen
Mar 17, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a gorgeous, delightful book I found at my library, and I loved it so much that I'm buying a copy of my own.
I read the Anne books as a young girl and this made me want to revisit the stories. The authors did a fantastic job celebrating and researching the world in which she lived. There's a timeline of historical events from 1866-1919 (the year Anne was born through the year she turned 53, the time period the books cover); planning the quintessential Anne tea party; activities with press
Becky
Jun 23, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
First sentence: Although both of us read and loved the Anne books as children, we became intrigued with them again when our daughters began to read them several years ago. We found ourselves enjoying these "children's books" even more as adults than we had as children!

Premise/plot: In Anne of Green Gables Treasury, the authors share their research with fans of all ages. Their research started with making lists of what their daughters wanted to know more about as they read through the series. The
Carolyn Rohloff
Jul 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This used to belong to my big "sissy" and I have fond memories of reading this from her bookshelf. I think we even made cookies from it once! She gave it to me a few months ago, and I really do treasure it. <3
May 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I pored over this during the heyday of my LM Montgomery reading. So much fun.
Lara
Aug 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved this!!! Whether you are an Anne of Green Gables fan or an L.M. Montgomery fan, this is a must read for all ages!
Kay Carman
My friend Kate gave this book to me for Christmas along with an Anne of Green Gables collector's doll. It provides background for what would have been the daily delights and chores of Anne's era, specifically on the north shore of Prince Edward Island. It took me back to the day I stood at Montgomery's graveside in Cavendish, and the walk along the path from Green Gables to the homesite where she lived with her grandparents.

The book is divided into chapters chronicling the life of the author of
Christine
Feb 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
all i'm gonna say is that i'm absolutely obsessed with this series (and Budge Wilson's prequel and Montgomery's own sequel)
I don't really want to rant right now xD
Bailey Jane
Nov 29, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: young women, parents, teachers
Recommended to Bailey Jane by: my parents
When my parents realized how much I read and reread the Anne of Green Gables series, they bought this Treasury for me around the age of 12. It was the very first "cookbook" I ever received (a large section of this book contains recipes Anne would have cooked for different occassions...I must have cooked Gingerbread Cake 40 times. My parents loved eating it that often I'm sure). I remember learning so much about the meaning of flowers, how to set up for the perfect tea party, and how to prepare t ...more
Angypants
May 20, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Everything you want to know about being Anne is here, as well as the original story with illustrations. The drawings are done with Anne's head always facing away, as to let the reader project their image onto Anne, say the authors. Step into Anne's world, with instruction on throwing tea parties to crocheting lace to making aprons. I hate to admit that I never finished the original story, but loved the mini-series and this treasury. I did want to make scones from the recipe here, but instead set ...more
Heather
Oct 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the perfect companion for a grown-up or high school reader of Anne. A younger reader would need help doing most of the projects in the book. I like that the recipes and sewing projects have findable ingredients and are at a level that's not too intimidating for beginners, yet feel authentic to the time and setting. I loved the timeline of what was going on in world history at the time of significant events in the lives of Anne and her children. Altogether, a lovely, sympathetic and infor ...more
Damien
Nov 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Just the most beautiful set of books about girlhood and growing up in the small Town of Avonlea on Prince Edward Island, Canada, in the early 20th century. A pure delight!!! Adults and teenagers alike will love it. It is full of wisdom and humanity, funny, with tremendous emotional depth without being mawkishly sentimental. If this does not touch your heart maybe you're dead!
Cassandra
Mar 08, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a beautiful little book, full of insight into Anne's time period. The authors did a wonderful job of fleshing out Anne's life, providing additional information about what she probably ate, studied, wore, and grew in her garden. I loved the Anne books as a child and this would have been a wonderful companion to the series.
Susan
Dec 04, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 1800-s
Mom - never read this book as a child, but enjoyed it thoroughly while reading with my daughter. Anne is a charming young girl full of life and vitality who grows into a selfless and strong young woman. A great book for young girls to read.

Faith - I tremendously loved this book. This was one of my most favorite chapter books I ever read. She was a deep thinker. She was truly a rare talent.
Jun 13, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is so fun (whether you are a fan of Anne of Green Gables or not). It has a timeline of events that happened during the dates covering Anne's lifetime and it has fun recipes from the time. It has a scrumptious recipe for Caramel Pie that I highly recommend!
Ava
Jul 04, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
AMAZING! I want to make all the crafts and recipes in this! A must-buy for any Green Gables fan.
Dayna
Aug 29, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Fans of the Anne books!
I haven't seen this book in years. I read through it when I was eight or nine and I loved it, especially all of the illustrations!
Sara
Aug 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I have loved this book since the day I bought it 20 years ago. I made every recipe as a young lady and tried many of the craft projects. I've read it over and over again.
Brett
Apr 06, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the best guides to Anne's world that I could imagine.
Linda Gukicova
Treasury indeed.
Meltha
Lovely artwork, some very neat little craft projects, and a solid number of workable recipes. I particularly liked the lemondrop cookies.
Relaynie
Anne Shirley,Louisa May Alcott,treasury
Oct 23, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A marvelous compilation of Anne. I especially liked the Anne timeline, which gives the reader a better perspective of what life was like then.
Beth
Apr 16, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My friends wrote this book (and many more).
It's a keeper. Get it for a young new reader of the Anne series!
Toni
Jun 24, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really liked this book. It shows how Anne would've spent her days, pictures and drawing of places in the books, craft projects, and recipes for an Anne style tea party.
Nickie
Jul 14, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I bought this book at 13 or 14 I think. I loved it after reading and rereading all of the Anne books.
Jessica
May 15, 2012
Emma Gill
Jul 04, 2017
Melissa
Apr 03, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kidlit-history
This book was absolute heaven to me.
Nancy
  • The Alpine Path: The Story of My Career
  • Autumn from the Heart of the Home
  • Anne of Green Gables Cookbook
  • Xena: Warrior Princess
  • Small-Plot, High-Yield Gardening: How to Grow Like a Pro, Save Money, and Eat Well by Turning Your Back (or Front or Side) Yard Into An Organic Produce Garden
  • The Jane Austen Cookbook
  • The Little Pretender
  • Looking for Anne of Green Gables: The Story of L. M. Montgomery and Her Literary Classic
  • Scones (Scrumptious Scones, Simply the Best Scone Recipes)
  • Knitting on Top of the World: The Global Guide to Traditions, Techniques and Design
  • Put 'em Up! Fruit: Creative Recipes for Making and Using Fresh Fruit Preserves, Chutneys, Infusions, and Pickles
  • Maud: The Life of L.M. Montgomery

• Dewey: The Small-Town Library Cat Who Touched the World
    $11.24 $1.99
  • Fall Down 7 Times Get Up 8: A Young Man's Voice from the Silence of Autism
    $13.99 $1.99
  • I Am Not Myself These Days (P.S.)
    $13.24 $1.99
  • Seabiscuit: An American Legend
  • Creating Magic: 10 Common Sense Leadership Strategies from a Life at Disney
  • The Power Of Habit: Why We Do What We Do In Life And Business
    $12.99 $2.99
  • The Loudest Voice in the Room: How Roger Ailes and Fox News Remade American Politics
  • The Storm of War: A New History of the Second World War
  • The Art of Power
  • Through My Eyes
  • A Brief History of Everything
    $14.99 $2.99
  • The World's Religions, Revised and Updated (Plus)
  • Leonardo's Notebooks