Start by marking “The Amazing Spider-Man: The Death of Gwen Stacy” as Want to Read:
The Amazing Spider-Man: The Death of Gwen Stacy

The Amazing Spider-Man: The Death of Gwen Stacy (Spider-Man: Death of the Stacys #2)

4.34  ·  Rating details ·  766 Ratings  ·  32 Reviews
In this shocking and moving story, the Green Goblin and Spider-Man face off atop the George Washington Bridge, with Gwen's life hanging in the balance.
Published July 1st 2002 by Marvel Comics (first published May 1971)

To ask other readers questions about The Amazing Spider-Man, please sign up.

Recent Questions

This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Cameron
May 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing
You'd be hard pressed to hear me praise anything about the early portion (or just about any portion other than this one) of Gerry Conway's run on The Amazing Spider-Man. I don't know that he disliked Spidey, but I do think that he liked humiliating him a bit more than his fellow writers. In one climactic battle, Conway had Spider-Man taken out by the evil, powerful and menacing... Aunt May? ...What? Go ahead, reread that sentence. It's true. Aunt May knocked out Spider-Man by hitting him in the ...more
Issa
Aug 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Tracy (A Good Novel)
I was perhaps not the ideal reader for this volume. I have little experience with the Spider-Man comics, if any; my only knowledge has been gleaned from the films, Wikipedia article-skimming, and a novelization of, I'm given to understand, the Peter/Mary Jane plotline in the Ultimate comics. ( Mary Jane by Judith O'Brien, for anyone wondering--it actually remains a favorite novel of mine to this day, because it so accurately reflected high school life, and because it made me an eternal lover of ...more
Hamman69
Aug 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing
As a huge Spiderman fan, Spiderman : the night Gwen Stacy died is a Spidey story that any Marvel or comics fans know about, and it's not hard to know why. In any type of fiction or media, the love interest stays there. When readers or fans grow attached to the love figure, epically once the hero has a future with her, the writer usually hears the fan base and continues to go along with what the readers like. In Spider-Man's world, today, Mary Jane is that girl ( even if a deal with the devil un ...more
Matt
Jul 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Collects Amazing Spider-Man issues #96-98 and #121-122, and material from Webspinners: Tales of Spider-Man issue #1

Even though this is a well-known tale, the emotional nature of the story still hits hard. This is likely the greatest tragedy in Peter's life, even more so than the death of Uncle Ben. The writing and storytelling is definitely of its time, feeling very dated, but I think this story still holds up.
Alec  Watkins
Aug 22, 2017 rated it liked it
This one is pretty fun. Some kind of heavy handed anti-drug memorandums, but aside from that, it was all well-written and told an interesting story. Much better written than Stan Lee's '60s Spiderman.
Jeremiah
Mar 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
Two things about this book. 1) To me, it represents the best of the Spider-Man comics - where both the storyline and the art peaked. There's a "classic" element to it that can't be denied. All Spider-Man stories over the last 40 years (in comics, film, and animation) have largely been a (rather bad) recycling these same themes and characters. 2) A perfect follow-up to this story is Spider-Man: Blue (2003) by Loeb and Sale.
Jason
Apr 25, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My students and I re-read this classic episode in Marvel comics history as part of my course on the Superhero Narrative this quarter. Specifically, we're looking for a couple of weeks at Superheroes and Love. And boy, does it stink to be a girlfriend in a superhero universe. If you're not thrown off a bridge, being raped and murdered by a third rate super villain out for some cred, or stuffed into a refrigerator, you're being granted godlike powers which make you into a threat to the universe th ...more
Chris Gordon
For a comic from the 60s/70s era of superheros (i.e. campy and silly ones), there is a lot of emotion within these pages after Gwen's death. I never felt for Spider-Man more than in this moment. Anyone, whether a seasoned Spidey fan or a newcomer, could tell this was one of the biggest trials in Spider-Man's life. The TPB was good in the beginning, but the last two issues really solidified its 4 star rating. I especially loved the epilogue in which Peter retroactively recounts his last night wit ...more
Dan
Wow. I'm a relatively new Spider-Man fan and was drawn to this having been introduced to Gwen Stacy in the latest film version. It's see the Green Goblin cause the death of Gwen Stacy and deals with Spider-Man/Peter Parker trying to cope with it. It's an incredible story which defines Spider-Man even to this day. It's really emotional as Spider-Man deals with one crazed villain to the next still trying to cope with his loss.

The artwork is fantastic and despite all the emotion Spider-Man's quips
Dario Vaccaro
Aug 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
"The Night Gwen Stacy Died" is arguably the single most famous story about the web-shooter and so I urged myself to catch it up. It's no more and no less than I expected, a well-written story, extremely modern dialogues for the time, although still somewhat heavy sometimes, a linear, clear story about love and the shattering of dreams, and two illustrious deaths. It was definitely a game-changer in the fact that it finally took the courage to kill off a main character with no intention to make h ...more
Frank
Dec 27, 2013 rated it really liked it
bought myself The Death of Gwen Stacy, it is an interesting read, so full of 70's comic book greatness. Harry get hooked on drugs, Peter beats a bunch of drug dealers up, and the first couple of issues don't even show gwen, but show MJ making Harry jealous by hitting on peter. It is all over the place but an enjoyable read nether the less.

I have come to a conclusion, Spider-Ock may not hide his identity well, and acts strange & aloof around normal people, he is not as bad 70's spiderman. 70
Doctorjimmy
Dec 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: spider-man
Εξαιρετικο! Η κλασσικη ιστορια του θανατου της Gwen, περα απο επιδραστικη, ειναι και μια πολυ τραγικη ιστορια. Σιγουρα, χρειαζεται να εχεις διαβασει προηγουμενα τευχη για να εχει μεγαλυτερο αντικτυπο η εξελιξη της πλοκης, αλλα οπως και ναχει, ο θανατος αυτος ηταν απο τα μεγαλυτερα "χτυπηματα" στην ζωη του Spider-Man και η αποτυπωση των συναισθηματων του στα δυο αυτα τευχη ειναι εκπληκτικη.

Αλλα plot threads που βρισκονται εδω συνδεονται πιο πολυ με τα προηγουμενα τευχη (π.χ. εθισμος του Harry), ο
Ruben
May 06, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Naseer Rupani
Jun 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
If super heroes are characters you get excited about, this is a classic. Tragedy is the theme and our hero is truly tested. Not just one close loss, but two, including his first love. Will he come through? You will have to read it and find out. All the traditional foes are in attendance, from Doc Ock to the Green Goblin. AS ever, the writing is tight, the artwork crisp and clean.Seen the film? Now read the original. You will be surprised!
Becky Bone
Apr 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
wanted to read this after seeing the Amazing Spiderman 2, just to see if they got inspiration from this. was given this book years ago as a gift but only just got around to reading it. the artwork is great. wish spidey was a comic book character I could support more...so many great ones to choose from, I find some of the dialogue a little too cheesy...love the "with power comes great responsibility" mantra though.
Lewis
Aug 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
J.M. Giovine
Apr 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Intensa y totalmente innovadora para su época, Turning Point narra de forma polémica la delgada linea entre la búsqueda de venganza y la rectitud de un héroe. Un numero imperdible de los amantes del arácnido.
Lucas Mota
Jul 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
Importante para a histórias das HQs. A primeira vez que uma revista de super-herói abordou um tema mais sombrio.

Possui várias linguagem que podem soar antiquadas ou cansativas ara os padrões de hoje. Vale a leitura para quem gosta de HQs. Para quem gosta de super-heróis, é obrigatória.
Glenn
Mar 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
Amazing story line for its time. Somehow it lacks the kind of emotional punch that today's story lines afford. Norman's convenient amnesia about his also being the Green Goblin is a weak device to extend the precarious position Osborn's knowledge of Spider-Man's secret identity puts Peter in.
Jo
Apr 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Pobre Gwen.Maldito Norman u.u
Ashwin
Jul 26, 2012 rated it really liked it
A defining storyline in Spidey's life.
Adam Wilensky
Mar 06, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Definitely one of the best spidey comics ever created
Sılanaz Darılmaz
May 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Overrated Ahtapot -,- sonuçta gwen'i öldüren bile o değil -,-
Anna Heidick
I didn't read this specific edition. I read the 121 issue. It's good. I liked it.
Patrick Suarez
Apr 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics, spider-man
Awesome but at the same time, sad :/
Carlos Sebastian Olate
Sep 22, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ebooks, comicbooks
Ryan Frost
Jul 27, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Greatest comic story ever.
James
Oct 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comicbooks, dc-marvel
It's such a tragic story. It is a pivotal point in Spider-man's career.
Augusto
Jul 28, 2017
They Should NOT Have Killed Off Gwen! 1 2 Sep 11, 2016 09:50AM
UEL Primary PGCE ...: Children's literature 1 3 Jun 19, 2016 02:30PM
  • Ultimate Spider-Man, Volume 19: Death of a Goblin
  • Avengers: The Korvac Saga
  • Essential Amazing Spider-Man, Vol. 2
  • Spider-Man: Reign
  • Amazing Spider-Man: The Death of Jean DeWolff (Spectacular Spider Man) (Marvel Comics)
  • Venom: The Savage Six
  • The Amazing Spider-Man: The Saga of the Alien Costume
  • Gambit Classic, Vol. 1

Spider-Man: Death of the Stacys (2 books)
  • Spider-Man: The Death of Captain Stacy