Start by marking “The Quiet Book” as Want to Read:
The Quiet Book

The Quiet Book

(The Quiet Book)

All quiet is not created equal. In this irresistibly charming picture book, many different quiet moments are captured, from the anticipation-heavy “Top of the roller coaster quiet” to the shocked-into-silence “First look at your new hairstyle quiet.” The impossibly sweet bears, rabbits, fish, birds, and iguanas are all rendered in soft pencils and colored digitally, and, a ...more
Published April 12th 2010 by HMH Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about The Quiet Book, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Quiet Book

Shaina
I saw this and I wanted to remember those quiet moments of pause, anticipation, joy, or anxious buzzing inside my brain. Because I love illustrations and the cover looked calm and cute, I read it.
The illustrations were cute and well defined the events being depicted. There were some very typical events chosen for a silent pause as well as some definitely not so conventional; so I enjoyed that.
Linda
I love a well-thought children’s story. An apologue with clever illustrations and amusing wordage.

The Quiet Book is about a little bear and rabbit -along with their friends- who share snippets of cohesive moments. Breaths of hush. The pictorial images are in muted browns and greys and blend with their smidgens of silence.

I was going to list you my favorites but I love all of them. This is a wonderful book to read to girls and boys, 4 or younger, but I wouldn’t be surprised to see older childre
Lisa Vegan
I really liked In a Blue Room but I’m not usually a fan of “go to bed” or otherwise “quiet down” books.

I loved everything about this book. Every page is precious. Kids will appreciate all the different kinds of quiet and can think up some of their own. The illustrations are perfect. This is a good bedtime or anytime book.

The “story” goes from waking in the morning to bedtime, with what could be an extremely full day in-between, but they’re probably activities during many days.

I read it then I im
Kathryn
I loved this book! I was concerned it wouldn't live up to the hype but, gosh, I just want to give it a big hug. I appreciate the various sorts of "quiet" that are accentuated in the text, but it is the illustrations that really won me over. They are absolutely sooo adorable without being "too precious"--there is a deep heart and sense of artistry to each illustration and they are just so sweet and so much fun! I delight in the variety of woodland creatures we get to meet, too.

Three cheers for s
David Schaafsma
Nov 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picturebooks
I just had read Underwood's Interstellar Cinderella and thought it was one of the best picture books of the year. It was wild, original, feminist and funny.

The Quiet Book was and is very popular and is also very good, though a more conventional picture book. But it's also got absolutely gorgeous, refined, gentle, elegant illustrations By Renata Liwska. Fits quiet.

The writing is also elegant and original, if not the wilder departure in Interstellar Cinderella.
John of Canada
Feb 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everybody
Recommended to John of Canada by: A librarian friend.
The nice thing about having librarians as friends,is that you get exposed to books you may have never considered.Especially librarians with young children.The Quiet Book is thoughtful,funny,and true to life,the artwork,a delight.
Libby
Sep 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Lovely bedtime read with sweet illustrations.
Kate
Sep 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a thoughtful children’s book about different types of quiet and the emotions that are felt in each type of solitude.
Crystal Marcos
Aug 08, 2010 rated it it was amazing
The artwork in this book was awesome. It reminded me of an animation movie. I could picture these adorable animals moving around this book. I never thought of how many types of "quiet" there were. There are many! I smiled, I giggled, I said aweee, and it made me think of my little girl. Definitely a winner!
Tasha
Mar 19, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
There are many kind of quiet. Quiet can cozy. Quiet can be tense. Quiet can be worth savoring. Quiet can be gone in a flash. This book celebrates the many kinds of quiet, offering examples of the many moments of quiet in a day. Starting with the quiet of being the first one awake, the book ends with the quiet of being sound asleep. In between, readers will find examples of quiet that are funny, surprising and poignant. This is a simple premise executed with great finesse.

Underwood’s one-per-page
babyhippoface
May 05, 2010 rated it it was amazing
If you asked a child (or an adult, for that matter) how many kinds of quiet there are, I think they'd shoot you a quizzical stare. How many kinds of quiet? What does that mean? Share this book with him, and he'll understand.

The quiet you experience when you're the first person up in the morning feels different than the quiet you experience when you're playing hide-and-seek, or the quiet you experience when you're following your teacher to the principal's office because you're busted, or the qui
Luann
Jul 05, 2012 rated it really liked it
What a great idea for a book! I'm thinking of using this to read aloud to my class at the beginning of the school year. I love the concept of different types of quiets. Some of my favorites in the book are: "swimming underwater quiet," "first snow fall quiet" and "story time quiet" - probably because they all bring back such great memories. When I read it to my students I'll have them come up with their own list of "quiets."
April Thompson
Sep 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: want-to-own
I love quiet time
Madeline K. Worrell
Feb 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
What a beautiful little picture book.

Thank you to my Goodreads friend for the recommendation.

I’m the “lollipop quiet” type of person.
Abigail
Dec 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone Looking for Appealing Bedtime Stories About Being Quiet
This delightful meditation on being quiet - the many different kinds of quiet time, the many quiet activities possible - would make the ideal bedtime book to read to very young children. With a simple text that is little more than a list of quietness - "Pretending you're invisible quiet... Best friends don't need to talk quiet" - and adorably soft and endearing illustrations, everything about The Quiet Book has a gentle, restful quality that I imagine would prove very soporific.

This is one of th
Vivek Tejuja
May 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The beauty of stillness is something else. Not to forget what happens when there is a certain kind of hush all over the world. There is almost something magical about silences. When no one needs to say a word and maybe that is good enough. In hindsight, maybe that is how the world is supposed to be. And what better place for the world to start learning these lessons than from a children’s book.

I honestly believe that children’s books aren’t written for children alone. There is a lot that adults
Laurie
Aug 04, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Very sweet.
Ellen
Feb 18, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Awwwwww. Love this book. Illustrations are sweet and whimsical. You gotta see this one yourself.
Aneesa
Jul 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Composing-your-book-review quiet.

Shocking lack of hyphens.
Amanda
Sep 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018, picture-books
Perfect book for quiet time. And my college-level writing class on quiet and what it means.
Jackie
May 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Yes, I'm in my 20s and read a picture book for no one but myself. Not to a little niece or nephew or cousin or neighbor—nope! And not to study for the upcoming Literature GRE Subject Test. Nope! I picked this one up and read it entirely of my own volition.

And what a beautiful book. As many children's books are, The Quiet Book was creative, truthful, and profound in a way I didn't expect. And it was calming! I read it while winding down after my college midterm marathon last semester, and the pa
Angela Bailey
Title / Author / Publication Date:
The Quiet Book. / Deborah Underwood. Renata Liwska (ill.) / 2010.

Genre: Fiction.

Format: Picturebook - online.

Plot summary:
"From the quiet of being the first one awake in the morning to 'sweet dreams quiet' when the last light is turned off, simple text explores the many kinds of quiet that can exist during the day" (NoveList).

Considerations or precautions for readers advisory:
quietness, sound, animals

Review citation:
"White space is used creatively to emphasize
Michele
Apr 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens, art
From the excited anticipation of "Top of the roller coaster quiet" to the uh-oh moment of "Jelly side down quiet" to the wonder of "First snowfall quiet", this book covers the beautiful nuances of life's many quiet moments.

I loved reading this as an adult because it had me thinking of my own quiet moments, "Bottom of the Nutella jar quiet" and "Sleeping Bea's head on my shoulder quiet". Bea seemed to enjoy it too, probably because the illustrations were engaging and the text wasn't too long for
Jenny
Aug 12, 2012 rated it really liked it
What a lovely book! The pictures are wonderful. The text made me feel both happy and peaceful. This book lists (but in sparse language that manages to evoke such images and feelings!) different types of quiet. Some of my favorites: first one awake quiet, story time quiet, quiet right before you yell "Suprise", and hide-n-seek quiet. This is a book I can see being used at bedtime or naptime, in classrooms (perhaps at the beginning of the year as you set up expectations for voice levels and when i ...more
Nancy
Apr 29, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens-poetry
Brilliant collection of quiet, with delicate illustrations you want to stare at so you don't miss anything.
This was the perfect launch for list-poem writing with Mrs. LaVielle's 5 and 6 year olds:

Quiet Poem

Flower growing quiet
Library quiet
Brain thinking quiet
Rain sprinkle quiet
Turtle quiet
Hair without beads quiet
Cat looking quiet
Staring at crazy ladies quiet
Whispering inside quiet
Tiptoe quiet

(Thank you, Becky, for the recommendation!)

Cheryl
Aug 27, 2017 rated it liked it
I love the concept, and the smaller format that makes it easier for a child to hold. But the illustrations are nauseatingly sweet, even for me. I like Charles G. Shaw's art for The Winter Noisy Book better.
Elizabeth S
Apr 27, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: f-picture
Really 3 1/2 stars. I don't know that my preschooler really understood the book, but she did enjoy it. We had some fun, quiet, giggles in various places. The more she reads it (or has it read to her), I think the more she'll enjoy. It is perhaps a good book to use to help a child open up to disappointments or other sadness. There are pictures of several in the book. But they don't overpower the book--there are plenty of happy quiets too.
KidsFiction Teton County Library
Teton County Library Call No: J Picture Underwood D
Kay's Rating: 5 Stars

This book is a quiet one, yet one that you don't want to miss; so I'll give it a shout out. I love the descriptive sentences about the many kinds of quiets. The author loves "cat sleeping on your stomach quiet" and "smelling lilacs quiet." I do too.
Angie
Mar 16, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Oh how sweet! Not in a syrupy way, but in a gentle way. This book shares different kinds of quiet. I was amazed at how powerful the examples were---very effective at evoking different types of emotion.
Julie
Apr 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. It seems to me to be an example of a perfect picture book. There is sparse, simple, yet evocative language, and illustrations that add their own extra elements and humour to the story along the way. You have to see it for yourself. Gorgeous.
  • Flora's Very Windy Day