Start by marking “The Elegant Solution: Toyota's Formula for Mastering Innovation” as Want to Read:
The Elegant Solution: Toyota's Formula for Mastering Innovation

The Elegant Solution: Toyota's Formula for Mastering Innovation

For the first time, an insider reveals the formula behind Toyota's unceasing quest to innovate and do more with less, a philosophy that has made it one of the ten most profitable companies in the world (and worth more than GM, Ford, DaimlerChrysler, and Honda combined). In a rare look into Toyota's ability to consistently achieve breakthroughs that outperform the competiti ...more
Published October 10th 2006 by Free Press

To ask other readers questions about The Elegant Solution, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Elegant Solution

Start your review of The Elegant Solution: Toyota's Formula for Mastering Innovation
Ahmed Fouadeldin
Oct 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
كتاب حلو جدا، مش بس بيتكلم عن تجربة تويوتا المبهرة إداريا لكن بيقارن بينها وبين باقي النماذج المماثلة الناجحة اللي بتطبيق أفكار كويسة جدا وشبة تجربة تويوتا، وفي نفس الوقت مكتوب حلو قوي وفيه شوية قصص لطيفة أحب أحكي منهم:
سيدة فرنسية عجوزة تعاني من صوت لعب الأطفال المزعج للغاية فتقرر في يوم من الأيام أن تحاول معه بطريقة مباكرة، فجمعت الاطفال واخبرتهم أن أذنيها أصبحتا ضعيفتين للغاية وتحتاج منهم لرفع صوتهم أثناء اللعب لأن هذا هو ونسها الوحيد وفي المقابل ستكفائهم بنص دولار يوميا، فرح الأطفال وراحوا يل
Brian
Feb 12, 2009 rated it it was amazing
"Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away". This quote from Antoine de Saint Exupery is included in "The Elegant Solution" and perfectly sums up the premise.

I would hate to classify this as just a lean book because I think it can have value for non-lean organizations since innovation is needed everywhere. For the people who have practiced Lean, this book is of value because it taps into something important - CREATIVITY.

I enjoyed th
Alisyah Samosir
Sep 19, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Buku ini sangat berharga!!!

Seharusnya buku ini jauh lebih tebal lagi karena hal-hal yang digambarkan sangat nyata, menginspirasi, dan menyadarkan betapa potensi seorang manusia sangat besar. Namun sesuai dengan konsep Toyota, yang juga dijelaskan di buku ini, solusi yang elegan adalah yang simpel, tidak bertele-tele. Yang penting pesannya nyampai ke pemirsa.

Penulis mengisahkan tiga kisah paling WOW mengenai Toyota, yakni bagaimana mereka terpikir, kemudian merencanakan, merancang, membangun, hin
Rebecca
Dec 04, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: business, creativity
I'm a pretty strong problem solver and creative thinker in my own right, and I came away with a number of good ideas from this book. I especially liked comparing the lifecycle of an idea to the Scientific Method. I've known from my own work that there's a definite process to ideas, but I really hadn't thought about how that process worked.

I think anybody would benefit from reading this book.
Barry OGorman
Jan 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: lean
Great insight into lean, innovation and leadership. Perhaps has as much applicability in personal life as business life.
Mike Thelen
Nov 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
I like Matthew May's writing style, and his views of TPS are highly valuable.
L.G. Estrella
Dec 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
The Elegant Solution delves into the processes and culture behind Toyota's success in developing and applying innovative practices in manufacturing and management.

The book provides a number of clear examples that are explained in an easily digested narrative style. The focus on first describing and then explaining what Toyota does serves a valuable purpose: it allows the reader to more readily grasp why Toyota does things the way they do. Too often books examining innovation find themselves mire
Robert
Aug 25, 2008 rated it it was amazing

According to May, "Elegance isn't about being hoity-toity. It's not about lofty concepts and grand designs. It's not about beauty or grace, or anything to do with aesthetics - ugly is okay. Elegance is about something much more profound. It's about finding the `aha' solution to a problem with the greatest parsimony of effort and expense. Creativity plays a part. Simplicity plays a part. Intelligence plays a part. Add in subtlety, economy, and quality, and you get elegance...Elegant solutions rel
Nick
Jul 17, 2007 rated it liked it
I started reading this book a while ago. It has a lot of platitudes which makes it a little annoying, but there is some good solid info in there. There is concrete advice on how how you can develop elegant solutions for your organization. The book is partially about the people and innovation strategy of Toyota. The movie "Gung Ho" was based on Toyota's management takeover of an American car company (I can't remember offhand which one it was) and totally turned it's quality of the cars and morale ...more
Rick Austin
Very good discussion of the benefits of continuous improvement as implemented by the Toyota Production System. For those of you that are familiar with TPS you may not gain much value. For those that are not familiar with TPS then this is a great introduction. The thing that I really liked about this book was the number of real world examples used to illustrate the concepts.
Jon
Jul 03, 2008 rated it it was amazing
The results that Toyota has had with their philosophies and strategies are almost unequalled. They have proven that what they do works. In my opinion, to try and implement some of these ideas in ones own business is a no-brainer. Great stuff!
Kiran
Jan 31, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
a good case for continuous improvement both at a corporate and personal level. the author talks about the tools and principles involved and provides a framework of how things fit together; and describing it all without resorting to jargon or obfuscation.
T.M. Mullin
Jan 29, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Probably the best business book I have read. Well written and a great explanation of the principles that make the Toyota Production System work. Great for anyone interested in applying innovation and creating a learning organization.
Brian Cuban
Aug 15, 2007 rated it really liked it
Grat book that follows up on the Toyota Production and Innovation theories which are followed by countless business outside of manfacturing, I would read this in conjunction with The Toyota Way
Lori Grant
Mar 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
A should-read company profile for knowledge workers, managers, directors, C-levels, and entrepreneurs.
Mindy
May 01, 2008 rated it it was ok
Reading for a work project
Gerry Divino
Mar 31, 2008 rated it really liked it
Solutions don't always have to be earth-shaking or mind-boggling. Sometimes the simplest solution, the elegant solution is the best.
Kate
Jan 25, 2008 rated it liked it
Great for people with jobs that are project based.
Edgar
Oct 11, 2014
Cm
Dec 17, 2012
Rakesh Singh
rated it did not like it
Oct 19, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• Living with a SEAL: 31 Days Training with the Toughest Man on the Planet
  • One Up On Wall Street: How to Use What You Already Know to Make Money in the Market
  • Warren Buffett's Management Secrets: Proven Tools for Personal and Business Success
  • The New Encyclopedia of Modern Bodybuilding: The Bible of Bodybuilding, Fully Updated and Revised
  • Dragon Teeth
  • Toyota Kata: Managing People for Improvement, Adaptiveness and Superior Results
  • Kiss That Frog!: 12 Great Ways to Turn Negatives into Positives in Your Life and Work
  • The Addiction Formula: A holistic approach to writing captivating, memorable hit songs. With 317 proven commercial techniques and 331 examples. (Holistic Songwriting Book 1)
  • The Conscience of a Liberal
  • What's Your Problem?: To Solve Your Toughest Problems, Change the Problems You Solve
  • LIFE STORY not Job Title
  • The Three Questions: How to Discover and Master the Power Within You
  • Out of Our Minds: The Power of Being Creative
  • Eat That Frog!: 21 Great Ways to Stop Procrastinating and Get More Done in Less Time
  • The Power of Showing Up: How Parental Presence Shapes Who Our Kids Become and How Their Brains Get Wired
  • Master Your Time, Master Your Life: The Breakthrough System to Get More Results, Faster, in Every Area of Your Life
  • Sell Like A Savage: Nine Sales Traits to Grow Your Sales
  • Learn Python in One Day and Learn It Well: Python for Beginners with Hands-on Project

News & Interviews