Start by marking “Permission Marketing: Turning Strangers Into Friends And Friends Into Customers” as Want to Read:
Permission Marketing: Turning Strangers Into Friends And Friends Into Customers

Permission Marketing: Turning Strangers Into Friends And Friends Into Customers

3.94  ·  Rating details ·  11,828 Ratings  ·  283 Reviews
The man Business Week calls "the ultimate entrepreneur for the Information Age" explains "Permission Marketing"—the groundbreaking concept that enables marketers to shape their message so that consumers will willingly accept it.

Whether it is the TV commercial that breaks into our favorite program, or the telemarketing phone call that disrupts a family dinner, traditional a
Published May 6th 1999 by Simon Schuster

Riku Sayuj
May 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
Permission Marketing Vs. Interruption Marketing

Most marketers practice Interruption Marketing. The difference is simple. An Interruption Marketer is a hunter. A Permission Marketer is a farmer.

Hunting prospects involves loading a gun with bullets and shooting until you hit something. You can take a day or a week or a month off from this endeavor and it won’t take you long to get back into successfully bagging a few.

Farming prospects involves hoeing, planting, watering, and harvesting. It’s infin
Jamie Belanger
Feb 01, 2012 rated it really liked it
When I see an interesting book on business or marketing at my local library, the first thing I check after reading the jacket is the publication date. Seeing that this book was published in 1999 didn't give me much confidence in it. In computer terms, 1999 is practically the Stone Age. Granted, I remember the Internet back then, since I started using networked computer systems in the late 80s and started surfing the web in 1995. So in some ways, this book was a little bit of nostalgia.

Permission
Chris
Aug 24, 2013 rated it liked it
I found it rather amusing how the book started off with the example of how you're supposed to think of marketing as asking for a date rather than attempting to propose marriage right off the bat. There's an endless supply of books and tomes out there trying to explain how you're supposed to get a date and how hard it truly is. Permission Marketing doesn't really tell you how you're supposed to get that initial attention and wowing factor although it does go into well how you should be building a ...more
Omar Halabieh
Oct 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
Below are key excerpts from the book that I found particularly insightful:

1- "As clutter has increased, advertisers have responded by increasing clutter. And as with pollution, because no one owns the problem, no one is working very hard to solve it."

2- "In addition to clutter, there's another problem facing marketers. Consumers don't need to care as much as they used to. The quality of products has increased dramatically It's increased so much, in fact, that it doesn't really matter which car y
Roland
Nov 29, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: business
Being an old book a lot of information is a bit outdated.
For one, AOL, AltaVista are gone, Yahoo! was replaced by Google.
Banners and pop-ups are still with us.

However the basic concept is still valid. I've read many reviews where people complain about Godin not writing anything "new", that the whole permission marketing idea is thousands years old - as he himself points out a few times in the book, it was the norm until about a 100 years ago -, and this is all intuitive, nothing new there.

But if
Tanya
Sep 16, 2012 rated it really liked it
I think one of the biggest problems facing marketers who are using social media is not learning the tools themselves but in how to use the tools. I used to say when I was teaching social media that my students did not need to be afraid of Twitter. They already have the knowledge of how to market, this was just a new tool. It was like they were building a home with a hammer, and now they have a new tool of an electric nail gun. As soon as they learn to use it they will be okay.

While I still feel
Mark Sylvester
Feb 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: business, goals-2015
Interesting read! A little outdated in parts as it was written in 1999, but a step by step strategy for turning strangers into customers using permission marketing (when people give you permission to market to them), rather than interruption marketing (TV ads,etc) . Particularly liked the portion that explained how permission needs to be 3 essential components in order to work - anticipated, personal, and relevant. Recommended as Seth was the father of this kind of marketing that's dominating In ...more
Ahmed Korayem
Sep 28, 2013 rated it did not like it
Repetition, repetition, and guess what again ??? Repetition. This is my first time to rate a book with a single star. The concept of permission marketing was very well explained at the very beginning of the book, and i was fascinated by the way Seth explained the evolution of marketing from one to one approaches to mass campaigns. After that, the book gave nothing new.
Calin Biris
Jan 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
Permission Marketing is to Inbound Marketing, what Darth Vader is to Luke Skywalker. A must read for starters in Online Marketing.
Gisela Hausmann
To get this off my chest I want to begin by saying that illustrating the statement “Frequency works” with Muhammad Ali’s fight record is simply wrong, or, at best a not well chosen example. Godin writes “Muhammad Ali did not become heavyweight champion by punching twenty people one time each. No, he became the champ by punching one guy twenty times. By applying frequency to the poor opponent’s head, Ali was able to bring his message home…”

I might have ignored this if it did not come up a second
Gisela Hausmann

I might have ignored this if it did not come up a second
Loy Machedo
Jun 14, 2012 rated it really liked it
Loy Machedo’s Book Review – Permission Marketing by Seth Godin.

Everyday we are bombarded with ads from literally every company, brand, product and service. Every advert uses every possible medium where the targeted ROI is hoped to reach new record levels. And if there is any strategy, science or style that would increase this level by even an iota, you can be rest assured everyone else on the planet would jump the bandwagon to slurp out the last living possibility.

In this competitive, confusin
Alex
Sep 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
When I finished this book, I tore out the last page and posted it by my desk as a future guide. This book is a bit older at this point (1999 I believe), but some of his predictions were prescient and the principles are timeless. Basically, don't be an annoying fuck while marketing. A lot of it simply plays to people's inherent self-interest, too: "Just because someone is a professional doesn't mean he isn't selfish! Make yourself a little sign and post it on your wall. America's favorite radio s ...more
Antonius
Nov 16, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Antonius by: No one
Shelves: my-favorit
Great book. With lots of examples.
Marion Hill
May 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned
“The marketer is not in control, the consumer is. And the consumer is selfish. Consumers care very little about you, your company, your products, your career, or your family. They’re not likely to spend time trying to discover how you can help them solve their problems. The heart of Permission Marketing is giving the stranger a reason to pay attention.”

This quote sums up Seth Godin’s main argument in his groundbreaking marketing book, Permission Marketing. Published in 1999, Godin was at the for
Dmitry Kuriakov
Mar 16, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: marketing
В самом начале книги автор пишет о том, что до него уже написали многие, включая таких авторов, как Эл Райс и Джек Траут, т.е. что рекламы стало так много, что единственный способ – как думают рекламодатели – это повысить частоту рекламных сообщений и/или её «креативность». В итоге, люди ещё выше возводят свои ментальные заборы от этой, вечно настырной и непрошенной, рекламы. Да, это проблема и проблема эта актуальна для всех фирм. Что же предлагает автор? Разрешительная реклама, т.е. реклама на ...more
Mario Russo
May 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: marketing
It's curious how this is aligned with Jeff Walker approach. Plus, while the book was published almost 20 years ago, by coincidente I just happened to read it a little after the Facebook mess with Cambridge analytica, proving Godin's insight were relevant far ahead of its time.Short book and fun read. Recommended.
Elena
Jun 27, 2018 rated it liked it
Some of his ideas are quite interesting, other sound redundant almost 20 years past publication date. This would have been a lot more useful book, had it been republished with a fresher perspective on things.
Sveta Bugrimenko
Sep 06, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Book genre: History of marketing.
Too old to be useful.
But it was interesting to learn how they managed without social networks or Google Ads. )

T.L. Cooper
May 11, 2014 rated it liked it
Permission Marketing by Seth Godin had been on my reading list for a very long time after a couple of people recommended it to me and I'd seen it referenced as describing the "right" way to market. Perhaps I'm a bit too cynical, but reading this book made me realize why I hate so much of the marketing we see today. While this book is a how-to book about marketing strategy, I have to admit the techniques within sounded a bit manipulative to me. I'm a straightforward kind of person, and I truly do ...more
Dane Cobain
Aug 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Permission Marketing is the marketing book to rule all marketing books, the one book that you should be sure to read before all others and which you should re-read every year if you hope to ever sell a product. Godin revolutionised the way we think about marketing – no longer is it about getting your message out in front of people in any way possible. Now, you need to seek the permission of consumers before you contact them.

In some cases, this is actually a legal requirement – think of the CAN S
Anastasia
Mar 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, business
This is the first book I've read that is actually outdated. And although there are some relevant truths and interesting ideas in it (like the servicing of your car in your driveway while you sleep proposition) - it's pretty much antique in terms of online marketing. An interesting read for people who want to study the evolution of marketing and advertising.

It did leave me thinking that although "interruption marketing" is still very much alive, and though "permission marketing" is the new must-d
Medhat Ramadan
Feb 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Even though,Targeting is an important part of the marketing process and is the centerpiece of the Marketing concept,most mass-media do not allow marketers to target consumers with any degree of precision.Direct marketing has arisen as an alternative to such mass marketing.

Godin presents a new idea which is " Permission Marketing ",which envisions every customer shaping the targeting behavior of Marketers.
Consumers provide interested marketers with the information about the types of advertising m
sanny
Aug 10, 2016 rated it it was ok
Seth is still relevant even today and similarly, even though this book is dated (ancient even for a marketing book), the general principle offered still stand. Basically, give (to your customers) before you take (their information) and proceed to make them reciprocate your investment.

The ideas are novel for its time but obviously a lot has changed since then, so many of the tips cannot be applied today without major tweaks. It's worth a casual read at most, if only to reminisce. Worth noting th
Matthew
Aug 31, 2011 rated it really liked it
Excellent book on marketing, but unfortunately all of his examples are painfully dated. Given the popularity this book has established, Godin would do well to re-release an updated version.
Yevgeniy Brikman
Jun 09, 2017 rated it liked it
Here's the TLDR for the book: create opt-in mailing lists, offer incentives to get people to join those lists, and then send promotional materials to those people on a regular basis.

That's honestly all there is to it. Don't get me wrong, the basic premise of the book is correct: instead of "interruption marketing", where you try to grab a prospects attention with all sorts of distractions, you should use "permission marketing", where the prospect opts in to your marketing channel, and you gradua
Natalie
Feb 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
It is amazing to read this book, knowing it was written in 1999. Email marketing, inbound marketing, marketing automation all of these concepts were either non-existent or in their very infancy, yet Godin was keenly aware of where the industry was headed. Almost all of his predictions have come true, making him nothing short of a marketing prophet.

As with all of Godin's books, Permission Marketing is succinct, clever and simple. The anecdotes and mini case-studies are fascinating and make for g
Daniel
May 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
The book is a bit dated and could do with some more-relevant examples hence the 4 stars. However, the notion of the book wasn't lost on me. The idea that we have reached a critical stage in marketing where permission marketing will have to become the new norm offers marketers an excellent opportunity to evolve before becoming extinct. As a marketer, I've seen the challenges of trying to grab peoples' attention through clever ads and witty campaigns but this still falls short of making a sustaina ...more
Ann
Apr 19, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: college, reviewed
This book did in 12 chapters what could have been accomplished in two. Most of the content was like this: introduce concept, give example, give 10 more examples that re-state the concept in "different" ways.

Godin didn't change my mind or thinking on how marketing works when I look at it through the lens of 2018. Perhaps that's due to the nearly 20-year-old references laced heavily throughout. It was interesting to see how close-minded he was in regards to some marketing concepts or businesses th
Goktug Yilmaz
Oct 01, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: audio
My summary:

- Don't interrupt users without having their attention permission first.
- By giving people a chance to volunteer their attention, you end up with a much more targeted customer group.
- Don't break users trust for short term gains.
- Send people stuff they want for their attention, then maybe they can take a loot at your product at the bottom. (Like content marketing)
- Use Opt-In marketing not Opt-Out .
- Regular contact builds familiarity and trust over time.
- Date your customer before m
CPM Marketing Pros & Cons: A Review 1 5 Feb 07, 2016 08:44PM
  • Bankable Business Plans
  • Making Sense of Behavior: The Meaning of Control
  • Learning from the Future: Competitive Foresight Scenarios
  • Value-Based Fees: How to Charge - and Get - What You're Worth (The Ultimate Consultant Series)
  • Numbers Guide: The Essentials of Business Numeracy
  • Re-Create Your Life
  • Ultimate Sales Machine
  • The 22 Immutable Laws of Marketing: Violate Them at Your Own Risk
  • Web Analytics: An Hour a Day
  • The Copywriter's Handbook: A Step-By-Step Guide to Writing Copy That Sells
  • Duct Tape Marketing: The World's Most Practical Small Business Marketing Guide
  • Driven: How Human Nature Shapes our Choices
  • Mastering the Rockefeller Habits: What You Must Do to Increase the Value of Your Growing Firm
  • Getting Everything You Can Out of All You've Got: 21 Ways You Can Out-Think, Out-Perform, and Out-Earn the Competition
  • SPIN Selling: Situation Problem Implication Need-payoff
Seth Godin is a bestselling author, entrepreneur and agent of change.

Godin is author of ten books that have been bestsellers around the world, and he is also a renowned speaker. He was recently chosen as one of 21 Speakers for the Next Century by Successful Meetings and is consistently rated among the very best speakers by the audiences he addresses.

Seth was founder and CEO of Yoyodyne, the indust

• Lincoln's Last Trial: The Murder Case That Propelled Him to the Presidency
    $12.99 $2.99
  • Me Talk Pretty One Day
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Confidence Code for Girls: Taking Risks, Messing Up, and Becoming Your Amazingly Imperfect, Totally Powerful Self
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Jackie, Janet & Lee: The Secret Lives of Janet Auchincloss and Her Daughters, Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis and Lee Radziwill
  • Just the Funny Parts: My 30 Years on the Hollywood Jungle Gym
    $12.99 $1.99
  • Minimalism: Live a Meaningful Life
    $8.99 $2.49
  • The Millionaire Fastlane
    $7.99 $2.49
  • Training the Mind and Cultivating Loving-Kindness
    $13.99 $1.99
  • Jesus > Religion: Why He Is So Much Better Than Trying Harder, Doing More, and Being Good Enough
  • The Proper Care and Feeding of Husbands
    $9.99 $3.49
  • Forty Autumns: A Family's Story of Courage and Survival on Both Sides of the Berlin Wall
    $11.99 $1.99
“Creating value through interaction is far more important than solving a consumer’s problem in thirty seconds.” 3 likes
“Frequency led to awareness, awareness to familiarity, and familiarity to trust. And trust, almost without exception, leads to profit.” 1 likes