Start by marking “Permission Marketing: Turning Strangers Into Friends And Friends Into Customers” as Want to Read:
Permission Marketing: Turning Strangers Into Friends And Friends Into Customers

Permission Marketing: Turning Strangers Into Friends And Friends Into Customers

The man Business Week calls "the ultimate entrepreneur for the Information Age" explains "Permission Marketing"—the groundbreaking concept that enables marketers to shape their message so that consumers will willingly accept it.

Whether it is the TV commercial that breaks into our favorite program, or the telemarketing phone call that disrupts a family dinner, traditional a
Published May 6th 1999 by Simon Schuster

To ask other readers questions about Permission Marketing, please sign up.
Mihai Rosca In my opinion, Interruption Marketing means that the seller usually comes to the consumer to say "Hey, here's what I have for you! Do you want it?" Th…moreIn my opinion, Interruption Marketing means that the seller usually comes to the consumer to say "Hey, here's what I have for you! Do you want it?" This happens all the time via ads, banners, commercials, magazines, pop-ups, etc. Usually, this tactic relies on the fact that you, the consumer, are already in an environment you chose to pay attention to for the time being.

As opposed to this tactic, Permission Marketing lets you come to the seller with some pretext, either to buy or to discover and, only then does the seller say "Hi! I might be able to help you. And if you choose to work with us, we have a nice reward for you".

The advantages to the latter approach are huge, especially that no human being wants to be sold to (at a deeper psychological level, they might feel manipulated), but rather feel good that they have found the perfect solution that solves their problem.
(less)

Start your review of Permission Marketing: Turning Strangers Into Friends And Friends Into Customers
Riku Sayuj
May 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
Permission Marketing Vs. Interruption Marketing

Most marketers practice Interruption Marketing. The difference is simple. An Interruption Marketer is a hunter. A Permission Marketer is a farmer.

Hunting prospects involves loading a gun with bullets and shooting until you hit something. You can take a day or a week or a month off from this endeavor and it won’t take you long to get back into successfully bagging a few.

Farming prospects involves hoeing, planting, watering, and harvesting. It’s infin
Jamie Belanger
Feb 01, 2012 rated it really liked it
When I see an interesting book on business or marketing at my local library, the first thing I check after reading the jacket is the publication date. Seeing that this book was published in 1999 didn't give me much confidence in it. In computer terms, 1999 is practically the Stone Age. Granted, I remember the Internet back then, since I started using networked computer systems in the late 80s and started surfing the web in 1995. So in some ways, this book was a little bit of nostalgia.

Permission
Chris
Aug 24, 2013 rated it liked it
I found it rather amusing how the book started off with the example of how you're supposed to think of marketing as asking for a date rather than attempting to propose marriage right off the bat. There's an endless supply of books and tomes out there trying to explain how you're supposed to get a date and how hard it truly is. Permission Marketing doesn't really tell you how you're supposed to get that initial attention and wowing factor although it does go into well how you should be building a ...more
Omar Halabieh
Oct 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
Below are key excerpts from the book that I found particularly insightful:

1- "As clutter has increased, advertisers have responded by increasing clutter. And as with pollution, because no one owns the problem, no one is working very hard to solve it."

2- "In addition to clutter, there's another problem facing marketers. Consumers don't need to care as much as they used to. The quality of products has increased dramatically It's increased so much, in fact, that it doesn't really matter which car y
Roland
Nov 29, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: business
Being an old book a lot of information is a bit outdated.
For one, AOL, AltaVista are gone, Yahoo! was replaced by Google.
Banners and pop-ups are still with us.

However the basic concept is still valid. I've read many reviews where people complain about Godin not writing anything "new", that the whole permission marketing idea is thousands years old - as he himself points out a few times in the book, it was the norm until about a 100 years ago -, and this is all intuitive, nothing new there.

But if
Tanya
Sep 16, 2012 rated it really liked it
I think one of the biggest problems facing marketers who are using social media is not learning the tools themselves but in how to use the tools. I used to say when I was teaching social media that my students did not need to be afraid of Twitter. They already have the knowledge of how to market, this was just a new tool. It was like they were building a home with a hammer, and now they have a new tool of an electric nail gun. As soon as they learn to use it they will be okay.

While I still feel
Mark Sylvester
Feb 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: business, goals-2015
Interesting read! A little outdated in parts as it was written in 1999, but a step by step strategy for turning strangers into customers using permission marketing (when people give you permission to market to them), rather than interruption marketing (TV ads,etc) . Particularly liked the portion that explained how permission needs to be 3 essential components in order to work - anticipated, personal, and relevant. Recommended as Seth was the father of this kind of marketing that's dominating In ...more
Ahmed Korayem
Sep 28, 2013 rated it did not like it
Repetition, repetition, and guess what again ??? Repetition. This is my first time to rate a book with a single star. The concept of permission marketing was very well explained at the very beginning of the book, and i was fascinated by the way Seth explained the evolution of marketing from one to one approaches to mass campaigns. After that, the book gave nothing new.
Calin Biris
Jan 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
Permission Marketing is to Inbound Marketing, what Darth Vader is to Luke Skywalker. A must read for starters in Online Marketing.
Gisela Hausmann
To get this off my chest I want to begin by saying that illustrating the statement “Frequency works” with Muhammad Ali’s fight record is simply wrong, or, at best a not well chosen example. Godin writes “Muhammad Ali did not become heavyweight champion by punching twenty people one time each. No, he became the champ by punching one guy twenty times. By applying frequency to the poor opponent’s head, Ali was able to bring his message home…”

I might have ignored this if it did not come up a secon
Gisela Hausmann

I might have ignored this if it did not come up a secon
Loy Machedo
Jun 14, 2012 rated it really liked it
Loy Machedo’s Book Review – Permission Marketing by Seth Godin.

Everyday we are bombarded with ads from literally every company, brand, product and service. Every advert uses every possible medium where the targeted ROI is hoped to reach new record levels. And if there is any strategy, science or style that would increase this level by even an iota, you can be rest assured everyone else on the planet would jump the bandwagon to slurp out the last living possibility.

In this competitive, confusin
Alex
Sep 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
When I finished this book, I tore out the last page and posted it by my desk as a future guide. This book is a bit older at this point (1999 I believe), but some of his predictions were prescient and the principles are timeless. Basically, don't be an annoying fuck while marketing. A lot of it simply plays to people's inherent self-interest, too: "Just because someone is a professional doesn't mean he isn't selfish! Make yourself a little sign and post it on your wall. America's favorite radio s ...more
Antonius Roy Hambali
Nov 16, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Antonius Roy Hambali by: No one
Shelves: my-favorit
Great book. With lots of examples.
Marion Hill
May 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned
“The marketer is not in control, the consumer is. And the consumer is selfish. Consumers care very little about you, your company, your products, your career, or your family. They’re not likely to spend time trying to discover how you can help them solve their problems. The heart of Permission Marketing is giving the stranger a reason to pay attention.”

This quote sums up Seth Godin’s main argument in his groundbreaking marketing book, Permission Marketing. Published in 1999, Godin was at the for
Anand Vatsya
Nov 19, 2019 rated it it was ok
I couldn't complete it. Had to abandon around final 20% of the pages (should have done it sooner) as it just got too difficult to ingest.

There're many issues with this book.

1. The content is terribly dated. Examples are not at all relevant today. There are places where it talks about the benefits of email (duh!) and goes as far as to claim that "there will come a time when big companies will abandon the web - something I'm yet to see.

2. There's just too much repetitive and re-iterative stuff. It
Mario Russo
May 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: marketing
It's curious how this is aligned with Jeff Walker approach. Plus, while the book was published almost 20 years ago, by coincidente I just happened to read it a little after the Facebook mess with Cambridge analytica, proving Godin's insight were relevant far ahead of its time.Short book and fun read. Recommended.
Elena
Jun 27, 2018 rated it liked it
Some of his ideas are quite interesting, other sound redundant almost 20 years past publication date. This would have been a lot more useful book, had it been republished with a fresher perspective on things.
Sveta Bugrimenko
Sep 06, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Book genre: History of marketing.
Too old to be useful.
But it was interesting to learn how they managed without social networks or Google Ads. )

Dominic Bellavance
Mar 20, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: essai, lu-en-2019
This book could have been an email.
Saeed
Apr 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
A book for pick up artists and what a fantastic idea this book has :)
Kerenza Ryan
Sep 14, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very knowledgeable, would've appreciated more tangible steps.
T.L. Cooper
May 11, 2014 rated it liked it
Permission Marketing by Seth Godin had been on my reading list for a very long time after a couple of people recommended it to me and I'd seen it referenced as describing the "right" way to market. Perhaps I'm a bit too cynical, but reading this book made me realize why I hate so much of the marketing we see today. While this book is a how-to book about marketing strategy, I have to admit the techniques within sounded a bit manipulative to me. I'm a straightforward kind of person, and I truly do ...more
Dane Cobain
Aug 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Permission Marketing is the marketing book to rule all marketing books, the one book that you should be sure to read before all others and which you should re-read every year if you hope to ever sell a product. Godin revolutionised the way we think about marketing – no longer is it about getting your message out in front of people in any way possible. Now, you need to seek the permission of consumers before you contact them.

In some cases, this is actually a legal requirement – think of the CAN S
Anastasia
Mar 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, business
This is the first book I've read that is actually outdated. And although there are some relevant truths and interesting ideas in it (like the servicing of your car in your driveway while you sleep proposition) - it's pretty much antique in terms of online marketing. An interesting read for people who want to study the evolution of marketing and advertising.

It did leave me thinking that although "interruption marketing" is still very much alive, and though "permission marketing" is the new must-d
Medhat Ramadan
Feb 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Even though,Targeting is an important part of the marketing process and is the centerpiece of the Marketing concept,most mass-media do not allow marketers to target consumers with any degree of precision.Direct marketing has arisen as an alternative to such mass marketing.

Godin presents a new idea which is " Permission Marketing ",which envisions every customer shaping the targeting behavior of Marketers.
Consumers provide interested marketers with the information about the types of advertising m
shanghao
Aug 10, 2016 rated it it was ok
Seth is still relevant even today and similarly, even though this book is dated (ancient even for a marketing book), the general principle offered still stand. Basically, give (to your customers) before you take (their information) and proceed to make them reciprocate your investment.

The ideas are novel for its time but obviously a lot has changed since then, so many of the tips cannot be applied today without major tweaks. It's worth a casual read at most, if only to reminisce. Worth noting th
Matthew
Aug 31, 2011 rated it really liked it
Excellent book on marketing, but unfortunately all of his examples are painfully dated. Given the popularity this book has established, Godin would do well to re-release an updated version.
InvestingByTheBooks.com
This is a book from the recent past about the future of marketing. With remarkable foresight the entrepreneur, Internet guru and author Seth Godin in 1997, when he wrote this book, foresaw the change in marketing practices that some in the profession still struggle to understand. In some aspects all that the author writes about is fairly off mark. In an online world of e-mails, Alta Vista search and web page banners it was impossible to foresee the impact of mobile, social media, big data and cl ...more
ahmed mansour
Aug 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: marketing
The book is about a “different” paradigm of marketing. The main idea is that companies should have direct relationship with their consumers. By giving them valuable things they can gain their permission. Marketers should aim to move their consumer from a stranger, to a lifetime customer. In contrast to mass non-targeted marketing, permission marketing is a lot more effective and cheaper but requiee patience and long term thinking. Permission marketing advocate the principle of focusing on your c ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
CPM Marketing Pros & Cons: A Review 1 7 Feb 07, 2016 08:44PM

• The 22 Immutable Laws of Marketing: Violate Them at Your Own Risk
  • Ultimate Sales Machine
  • Work the System: The Simple Mechanics of Making More and Working Less
  • The E-Myth Revisited: Why Most Small Businesses Don't Work and What to Do About It
  • The 4-Hour Workweek
  • Total Leadership: Be a Better Leader, Have a Richer Life
  • Influence: The Psychology of Persuasion
  • Getting Everything You Can Out of All You've Got: 21 Ways You Can Out-Think, Out-Perform, and Out-Earn the Competition
  • Crush It!: Why Now Is the Time to Cash In on Your Passion
  • SPIN Selling: Situation Problem Implication Need-payoff
  • Growing Great Employees: Turning Ordinary People into Extraordinary Performers
  • Zig Ziglar's Secrets of Closing the Sale
  • Blue Ocean Strategy: How to Create Uncontested Market Space and Make the Competition Irrelevant
  • Made to Stick: Why Some Ideas Survive and Others Die
  • Growth Hacker Marketing: A Primer on the Future of PR, Marketing, and Advertising
  • Rework
  • Positioning: The Battle for Your Mind: How to Be Seen and Heard in the Overcrowded Marketplace
  • The New Rules of Marketing & PR: How to Use Social Media, Online Video, Mobile Applications, Blogs, News Releases, & Viral Marketing to Reach Buyers Directly
Seth Godin is a bestselling author, entrepreneur and agent of change.

Godin is author of ten books that have been bestsellers around the world, and he is also a renowned speaker. He was recently chosen as one of 21 Speakers for the Next Century by Successful Meetings and is consistently rated among the very best speakers by the audiences he addresses.

Seth was founder and CEO of Yoyodyne, the indust