Start by marking “An Awesome Book!” as Want to Read:
An Awesome Book!

An Awesome Book!

(Awesome Book)

Based on the simple concept of dreaming big “An Awesome Book” is the inspiring debut work of Los Angeles writer/artist Dallas Clayton. Written in the vein of classic tales by Dr. Suess, Shel Silverstein, and Maurice Sendak it is a sure hit for all generations young and old.
Published 2008 by Dallas Clayton

To ask other readers questions about An Awesome Book!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about An Awesome Book!

Sarah Yehia
Jun 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2012
More Than Amazing Book ....
It`s All About Dreams .. Big Big Dreams :)

So please my child, do keep in mind before you go to bed;
To Dream a dream as BIG as BIG could ever DREAM to be;
Then dream a DREAM ten times as big as that dream you see;
Then once you have got that dream in mind, please dream a million more;
And not a million quiet dreams, a million dream that ROAR.
Rachel
Jan 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book IS awesome. Very inspiring for any age. Never stop dreaming.
Becky
Aug 30, 2012 rated it did not like it
Read this online for free here: http://www.veryawesomeworld.com/aweso... (Thanks StumbleUpon!)

So, yeah, this was OK. Just OK, really. Very colorful, but nothing really exceptional. Just an exercise in thinking up the most whimsical scenarios possible, and fitting them into rhyme, with full color illustrations to match, with a moral to not lose the whimsy of childhood's imagination and whatnot. You know, "Dream Big!"

That's all well and good. Right now, I'm imagining a purple polka-dotted Beluga
Amy
Aug 25, 2012 rated it really liked it
As an adult, I really enjoyed this book - I liked the story line very much. My two children, ages six and four, however, did not understand it well and were asking a lot of questions. My four-year-old seemed to like the illustrations and would giggle as I'd point out the silliness of the pictures (rockets on unicorns) and my six-year-old would smirk at these as well but had a very quizzical look throughout my reading. "Momma, how can dreams die?" A nice teaching opportunity on my part but I also ...more
Dolly
Oct 07, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Shelves: 2012, rhyming, childrens
We saw a commercial about this book while we were watching the Redskins play today, so I pulled out my handy iPad and checked it out online. It's a fun book about dreaming and using your imagination. The rhyming narrative is fun to read aloud and the illustrations are colorful and quirky. I read this book on my own and then I read it again with our girls. They really liked it and want to read more of the books by Dallas Clayton.
Sarah Farmer
Jun 05, 2012 rated it really liked it
My husband just ordered this book to add to our son's collection. I sat down and thumbed through it and have to say that I really enjoyed it. The art is fun and imaginative, and the message about always dreaming big is really important. Plus there are rocket powered unicorns. Yea, I was pretty much sold after that gem.
Paul  Hankins
Ladder this one up with Susan V. Bosak's DREAM.

I like the overall quirk factor of this one paired with it's message. Brave concept out there for younger and older readers. I think this one is really designed to be shared.
Jane Glossil
Jul 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens
Awesome! Spread the love.
Read this book here: http://www.veryawesomeworld.com/aweso....
Kate Caldwell
Dec 16, 2017 rated it did not like it
Oh god this was terrible. It's quite long for a children's book and who do you think is paying $17 for a book with lackluster illustrations except people with jobs? It's so heavy handed with it's disdain of normal people with normal dreams (oh the horror of dreaming of car!). Don't waste your money or time.
Amanda Green
Aug 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A book about dreams and infinite possibilities. We loved this. Adding this to our home library ASAP.
Margaret Chind
I could have sworn I already wrote down my thoughts on this book, but I cannot seem to find it, so I'll tell you again. Dallas Clayton has a vivid imagination and the talent to get it on the page to share with others. An Awesome Book and it looks like those that will come after it are different and here to challenge our kiddos. Think outside the box and do not be afraid to challenge yourself to be who you are. Dream big dreams, dream little dreams, dream dreams that matter and dreams that don't. ...more
Rebecca Martin
Nov 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: imagination, dreams
One reason why I love this book so much is because it is written by a dad originally for his son. He wrote and illustrated the book. I think that is inspiring and I would tell my students his story before I read the book to them. I would let my students know that they can also publish their own books if they put their minds to it. I would then allow my students to begin writing and illustrating their own books. When there is down time or if they finish an assignment early they could continue to ...more
Katie
Dec 19, 2015 added it
Recommends it for: High School English Teachers
Shelves: st-high-school, pb
I'm pretty torn on this one. It's a fun idea with some crazy, silly illustrations, but it has a vibe of "adult problems" throughout. It's message is "dream big," but there's a hint of "growing up/grownups are bad" scolding going on that I'm not a fan of.

I wanted to use it for an kindergarten story time, but I actually think it'd fit better with high school students, who would understand both the positives and negatives expressed in this books. The illustrations and simple, poetic lines would mak
Peacegal
Oct 25, 2012 rated it really liked it
I liked the retro-psychedelic illustrations and unusual situations. I'm not a big fan of all of the "dream big, kids!" stuff, which seems so hollow and fake to me. I did, however, appreciate the gentle mocking the author gave to all of us boring adults who've given up our childhood creativity in favor of dreams about stupid things like cars, furniture, and cell phones...
Kelly
Oct 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
There are some books that just strike me as wonderful, and this is one of those books. It's about dreaming dreams that know no limits. I can't even accurately describe this book. It is beyond imagination and limits of one's mind. It's about letting go of limits.
Marissa
Mar 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I love this book so much! It has such a sweet message and it's colorful and fun for kids to look at. Definitely one of our favorites!
Christie
Aug 05, 2016 rated it liked it
Great message and illustrations but a little long winded for kiddo sized attention spans.
Mollie B
Jan 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Dreams are so important! Dream BIG or Dream small, just dream to dream a dream that is the dreamiest.
Haya ald56
Apr 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Very inspired for any age I enjoy read it 😊
Amelie Melgar
Mar 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
The book is a little preachy but otherwise a fun and inspiring read!
K Kno
Mar 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ya-j-books, favorites
I just adore all of these sweet little books!
Michelle
Nov 13, 2017 rated it liked it
An Awesome Book by Dallas Clayton is a fun child’s book with the writing style of Dr. Seuss. The book is filled with Dallas Clayton’s out of this world illustrations about what children should dream about with colorful and sloppy drawings. The story mainly focus on children should not start dreaming small when growing up, they should keep dream big. Each page had a form of rhyming or pattern to his point of dreaming big.

Kathleen
Jul 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Sort of a modern day Dr. Seuss feel to it. The first few page talk about the whimsical kids dream about candy cane machines and singing baboons. And then it shows how adults dream about things like furniture and matching silverware. I vow to never be one of those adults. Oh wait, I already am. Nevertheless, let me hold on to as much fantastical and dreams as I can.
M.
Sep 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It was a good read.
Jon(athan) Nakapalau
Sep 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Innovative and engaging with wonderful art!
Tracy
Apr 12, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: kiddo, fiction
Starts out so strong, ends so weak, and then there's the author bio. Ick.
Talia Smart
Despite wholly unimpressive platitudes about dreams, the illustrations of this book pop with whimsy!
VillaPark Public Library
I love the inspiring message this book cleverly sends about dreaming big and pushing the boundaries of convention. No dream is too big or too illogical. The bigger the better!! The energizing illustrations compliment the book’s message by opening up new and unique imagery geared toward fantasy and creativity.

Check this book out at the Villa Park Public Library:
Samara
Jun 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
WOW, it seems that so many of you (adults) have given up dreaming!
How droll! It's not really up to adults to review a kids book and say "Uh, well GROW UP and stop dreaming because bills and real life" that's kind of the opposite intention of the book. Somehow books can take you to magical lands and we accept it but a book can tell children to "KEEP DREAMING" and dream big, and everyone roars "Be realistic," thankfully there are still children in the world. Young and old, and we see a wonderful,
Tricia
Jul 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens-books
I first found Dallas Clayton through his book A is for Awesome and while my son loved it I kind of thought it was weird and his bio and picture at the end even a little weirder. But since my kid loved it I thought maybe I'd look into his other books. This book is Awesome! I have never read something so simple (great for kids) with such a nice message (also great for kids). I also found it helpful for my son because it's a very imaginative book and he struggles with thinking outside the box. I'm ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Petunia Goes Wild
  • What Can a Crane Pick Up?
  • Plant a Kiss
  • For Just One Day
  • How I Spent My Summer Vacation
  • He's Got the Whole World in His Hands
  • Crafty Chloe

Dallas Clayton is an author, illustrator, public speaker, mural painter, and adventure seeker.

When he is not busy writing books (for children of all ages), touring the world, painting on buildings, or climbing trees, he is generally trying find happiness and share it with others.

Awesome Book (3 books)
  • An Awesome Book of Love!
  • An Awesome Book of Thanks
“Instead they dream of furniture
Of buying a new hat
Of owning matching silverware
Could you imagine that?

Yes there are places in the world
Where dreams are almost dead
So please my child do keep in mind
Before you go to bed

To dream a dream as big
As big could ever dream to be
Then dream a dream ten times as big
As that one dream you see

Please dream for those who’ve given up
For those who’ve never tried
Please use your dream to make new dreams
For all the dreams that died

So when you think your dreaming’s done
Just remember what I said
‘Close your eyes my child and dream
That perfect dream inside your head.”
17 likes