Start by marking “The Warlord's Puzzle (Warlord's Series)” as Want to Read:
The Warlord's Puzzle (Warlord's Series)

The Warlord's Puzzle

(Warlord)

4.18  ·  Rating details ·  76 Ratings  ·  17 Reviews
A young peasant boy convinces his poor but wise father to enter a contest to solve the warlordis puzzle, which is actually the original tangram. Recommended by the Califorina Department of Education.

Book Details: Format: Hardcover Publication Date: 2/29/2000 Pages: 32 Reading Level: Age 6 and Up
Published February 29th 2000 by Pelican Publishing Company

To ask other readers questions about The Warlord's Puzzle, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Warlord's Puzzle

Ellon
Nov 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-books
Used this book for a first grade lesson on tangrams. I think the story was a nice introduction to tangrams but might have been a little over the first graders' heads.
The Brothers
Jan 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: china, puzzles, math
The first in the Warlord series by Virginia Pilegard. The warlord received a beautiful tile from an artist, but the artist accidentally dropped it and broke it into several pieces. Furious at the beautiful object being broken, the warlord is going to punish the artist unless someone can put the the tile back together. It is believed this is the first tangram.

Excellent illustrations.

Asher (5 years old) was so enamored by this book, I had to trace the tangram provided in the back on cardboard and
Esther
Apr 14, 2015 rated it liked it
Mrs. Wynn
Apr 30, 2013 rated it really liked it
I used this to introduce tangram activities in the library with a second grade class today. They enjoyed the story AND working with the tangrams. When one student claimed it was impossible to put it back together, several students reminded him that the young boy in the story did it so he should keep trying! Lots of fun.
Katie Logonauts
An artist brings a beautiful blue tile before the Warlord, but it drops, breaking into seven pieces. When no one can put the tile back together, the Warlord agrees to hold a contest. This accident becomes the invention of the tangrams, so named for their connection to the Tang dynasty.
Amber
Aug 08, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sy12-13, school
My 9 and 11 year old found this living math book interesting and entertaining. The engaging story and illustrations held our interest and left us eager to read the next book. The historical tidbit at the end nicely completed a satisfying read.
Dawn Draper
Sep 28, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
The illustrations in the is book are spectacular. The text compliments them perfectly. I enjoyed how the illustrations took up two pages completely. The story flowed well and had a moral but it didn't overwhelm the story. I also enjoyed the Asian style font used.
Melea
Feb 12, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kiddie-lit
My class and I enjoyed this book about tangrams. We were also able to tie the plot into perseverance. The students were also able to identify character traits in the characters. Working the tangram puzzles was a great accompanying activity.
Cheryl
Dec 16, 2009 marked it as to-read
Math classic, recommended by Marni
Vandy
Dec 19, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: storytime-fav
tangram story
Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
This author has a bunch of these "warlord" books, about how various things were invented in China. This one is about tangrams.
Shelley
Mar 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: age-4, math-numbers
Great introduction to tangrams with a tale of where they came from. Like the emphasis on story and child's discovery vs. scholars knowledge.
Trever
Sep 21, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens-math
Tangrams book, not the most exciting.
Corinne
Oct 08, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-book
I love the images. A fun story and I like that the shapes can be copied in the back so you can try to make the tile yourself.
Marni
This and the 6 other "Warlord" books are excellent stories on different math topics, but not so annoyingly pointedly "mathy" that the kids are going to see through them.
Christine
Aug 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
A definite purchase! Can't believe I haven't seen this PB about how tangrams started. Loved it and can see many ways to share it with kids.
Garren
Jul 31, 2016 rated it it was ok
The text is as expected. The paintings are hilariously over the top, especially when it comes to facial expressions!
Koren
Jul 19, 2017
Michãel
Dec 29, 2011
« previous 1 3 next »
Mrs. Pilegard was raised on a cattle ranch in

California's Sierra Nevada mountains. Her latest mathematical adventure picture book is illustrated by British artist Fiona Hodgetts and translated by Maria Cassandra Nah Ayuso. Nicolas Debon, the artist with whom she collaborated on the Warlord Series, includes a horse somewhere in the illustrations in each of their seven books to celebrate her first

Warlord (7 books)
  • The Warlord's Beads (Warlord's Series)
  • The Warlord's Messengers