Start by marking “Warlord (Chronicles of the Warlands, #3)” as Want to Read:
Warlord  (Chronicles of the Warlands, #3)

Warlord

(Chronicles of the Warlands #3)

Lara of Xy and her Warlord, Keir of the Cat, have been through much together. Lara abandoned her lands and people for love of him.  She adopted his ways and learned of his tribe. Together they have faced plague and insurgency -- and despite these struggles, they have known happiness and joy.

Now they face their most arduous task: Keir must take Lara into the Heart of the P
Mass Market Paperback, 336 pages
Published March 6th 2007 by Tor Paranormal Romance

Start your review of Warlord (Chronicles of the Warlands, #3)
Viktoria Winter
(Full series review to come.)

I don't know if I'm Chris or Andy or both.

description

Ari Reavis
May 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
First off, the freaking twist in this book damn near gave me a heart attack. A HEART ATTACK.
Ok, now that we've got that out the way... I loved this book. The romance was so beautiful. Their loyalty and willingness to sacrifice for each other was amazing. I loved that Lara let her fiercer side out to play and she let everyone know she was getting her Warlord.
You find out a lot more about Marcus in this book and I was rather intrigued. You also find out more about the infrastructure of the plain
TJ
Sep 10, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy-romance
4.5/5.0

*sigh* Oh, I love that moment when, after a wonderful story, you turn the last page happy, satisfied and filled, knowing there really is a happily ever after, even if it is in our dreams. "Warlord" finishes a trilogy that is the stuff bedtime stories are made of - a beautiful princess, a strong honorable prince (Warlord in this instance) who fight for their dreams, perils that threaten to destroy good, evil that is sure to overcome. *another sigh* Oh, that life were so exciting and ended
Anna lost in stories *A*
I decided to write just one review for these three books in the series, cause they all tell a story of one couple, Lara and Keir :) originally, I rated the first two book 4 stars, but after a few weeks have passed, I decided to give all three of them 3 stars instead… mostly because the more I thought about it, the more I was sure that it was only a mediocre story for me… don’t get me wrong, I found the first book on sale and was in a mood for a fantasy-ish / historical story with some sort of ar ...more
ALPHAreader
Sep 15, 2010 rated it really liked it
The final book in Vaughan’s trilogy.

‘The Chronicles of the Warlands’ reminded me a little bit of Diana Gabaldon’s ‘Outlander’ series. There’s no time travel, and Vaughan’s series is nowhere near as epic as Outlander – but on a smaller scale the two series have a few things in common. An outsider follows her warrior lover to his homeland. And both female protagonists are ‘healers’ – persecuted for their peculiar ways by their new adoptive people.

In this final book Lara finally sets foot on Keir’s
Christa
Jun 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018, fantasy, owned
A solid end to the series. Not as good as book one but so much better than book two.
Theresa Boydston
Jul 18, 2015 rated it it was ok
And the hits keep coming...in Warprize, I really liked Lara. I thought she was interesting and unique. Keir was a little flat, but he served his role as the strong, silent barbarian conqueror. Then, in Warsworn, Lara made stupid decision after stupid decision...like 40+ days straight of just idiotic choices because Vaughan needed a transition novel between the first and last book in order to make her trilogy. Complete waste of time.

Now for Warlord....let's forget for a moment that Vaughan could
MaryLennox
Jan 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
I currently have a headache from trying to keep in my need to bawl during the last third of this novel.

My heart was in my mouth when reading a certain passage and I felt I could 'curse the skies' because my lunch was over and I had to go back to work. How could I? With three chapters remaining?

Storytelling like this reminds me why I read in the first place. It sucks you in and demands that you stay up until you fall asleep in front of the pages. You think constantly about the story when you're
Jean
Nov 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Gisela
Aug 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
Much better than book 2. IMO you could skip book 2, the first few pages summarize it.
Lucie V.
Nov 17, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Soooo...

After enjoying Warprize and being so disappointed in Warsworn, I was dreading Warlord. Let's just say that it was better than Warcry, but still not that good as the first book.

Lara is still annoying me with every bad decision and every speech that she makes though. All she cares about is healing and sex with Keir. They have a problem to solve? Sex. They fight? Sex. They go through a life or death situation? Sex. Whether they are alone or surrounded by guards and friends? Sex. Always sex
Mandapanda
Apr 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: scifi-romance
Avy  (Book Looney) ❄️
SHE BROUGHT ME BACK WOO! 5 SHINING STARS!
Katyana
Jun 12, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, romance
It is still not a fantasy. It is a medieval-ish romance.

I liked it better than the last book. I felt like Lara grew a bit of a spine, and I appreciated that she wasn't bending over backwards to help people that only wanted to hurt her. I think her character arc was decent.

But I don't think it should ever have gotten as far as it did, with Iften. I mean, come on now. That guy should have been killed in book 1.

And I don't forgive Joden. He's a dickhead. Nothing that happened was harder on him than
Brook
May 28, 2012 added it
so, i'm not sure if i've ever felt this way about a trilogy before. . .

here are my thoughts.

i loved the other two books in the trilogy--because they deepened my love for the first book, warprize. i'm not sure that i loved then as much for their own merits. strange, huh? i loved warprize so much--and having a full picture of the culture, motivation, and characters through the next two books made re-reading the first book even better. yes, i said re-reading the first book (well large chunks of my
Cindy
Jul 26, 2011 rated it really liked it
Once again this story takes off were Warsworn left off. Keir and Lara are headed to the heart of the plains, where all the tribes congregate for the summer. Lara must meet the Elders of the plains and be found acceptable before them, before she can be officially the Warprize and be Keir's bonded. This story was full of mystery, adventure, and intrigue. I love Mrs. Vaughan's world building it was so captivating to me. I love Keir and Lara's relationship and how it continues to grow. All my favori ...more
May 23, 2013 rated it liked it
Okay, after the serious let-down of book two, this was much much better. I still didnt think it was as good as the first book but after reading book two I almost didn't read it at all. Xylara is on her way to the plains to meet Keir's people and try to win their acceptance of her as the warprize. It doesn't seem very likely at this point after the huge obstacle in book two, as she is bearing quite a bit of the blame for what happened in book two. As I was reading I was really looking forward to ...more
Leila
Mesmerizing! It took my breath away completely!
And oh, how I cried! I could relate to Lara so much. I was experiencing it all through her eyes.
I felt what she felt: love for Keir, true and burning like scorching fire. Her doubts, her fears, her burdens. I experienced it all, as if I was there!
And Keir, oh such a heroic Warlord. All other Warlords (Conan the Barbarian included) I've ever got to know, stand in his shadow. He's the best of the best and so much more than that!
I can't wait to begin t
puppitypup
May 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, romance
Fantasy/Romance Heartbreaking

Now this, my friends, is true romance...two hearts, beating as one, standing together, even when all is lost.

There are so many lovely elements to this story, the legend of the ghost riders, the humor of a 4 year old "warrior", charging on her trusty steed goat, the loyalty of an aged horse, the meaning of honor.

My advice? Don't read another review. Believe me, you don't want to spoil the plot.

Highly recommended. I am writing this the next day, with tears still in my
Sometime
Jul 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
After skipping book 2 (because of bad reviews and also the plot looked like it would drive me nuts) I really enjoyed book 3 Warlord. I had a few issues catching up with what was happening but that didn't last long.

This book is much more about political maneuvering and power. But the romance between Lara and Kier was still front and center. The ending is just so sweetly romantic. I loved it.

Not sure if I will continue the series.
Kara-karina
Dec 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Phew, this book nearly gave me a heart attack! :) review coming
Sruthi
May 08, 2020 rated it really liked it
I didn't know what to expect when I first started with this series. I must say that I was delighted with the innovative world. The protagonist is no pushover. I usually don't like them being paired with older men but Keir was quick to warm my heart. I was enticed by the simple life of the Firelanders. Their world called to me. Wouldn't I like to live under the stars, but for the comfort of my precious books. I would definitely encourage people to read this series.
Read on my fellow readers!
April
Jan 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I want 10 million more stories about Lara and Keir, no new people, just them! Damn it, I'm not crying, you're crying! ...more
Mari
Apr 28, 2016 rated it it was ok
Beth
Apr 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kobo
Wow. I fell for that twist hook, line & sinker. The plains culture was interesting and I was glad to see how complex it was.
Lover of Romance
In the third installment, The Warlord, we continue from the second book, they are entering the Plains of the Firelanders, and this installment will prove Keir and Lara and the love they have for each other. Neither of them will be tested as in the WARLORD. Because not only will Lara have to prove her worthiness to be the Warprize, but Keir will have to prove his honor and integrity and deal with the rumors that are spreading, and none of them are good. Upon entering the valley, Lara learns that ...more
Jen Davis
Feb 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
Elizabeth Vaughan crafts a satisfying conclusion to her Chronicles of the Warlands trilogy, with this installment that brings the Warlord and his Warprize back to the Heart of the Plains. This is definitely more engaging than the last book, though the original Warprize holds up as the strongest installment. This is not a standalone –new readers need to start at the beginning of the series.

What I like about this book is that it gives Lara a chance to fight for her man. You see, we find out here t
Keri
Jun 19, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: audiobook
June 2019
Audiobook

Book 1 - 4 Stars - I really liked it
Book 2 - 3 Stars - I liked it
Book 3 - 3.5 Stars - I liked it

I fell into this story from the beginning and kept going until I finished the trilogy. There are more books involving these characters and this world and there is a good chance that I will read them.

I loved the first book. I enjoyed the characters, the world, the barbarian-type culture, the friendships... just so much. The story moves at a nice and steady pace and it builds well. Lay
Ashley
Feb 28, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Good book. I really enjoyed it. I appreciated the fact that the culture of the Plains didn't have to truly change but accept some changes to the way they looked at things. This story, as a whole, while focusing on the Warprize bringing change to the Warlord's leader, was more about Lara learning about and becoming part of the People of the Plains. There wasn't a feeling that their ways would disappear under the onslaught of the more European-style culture, ala Dancing with Wolves and other stori ...more
Gabz
Jun 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: brilliant
What's with Vaughan's style that always makes me cry like a baby, I wonder.. The woman has a gift, I tell you. Either that or she's some kind of witch...

Anyway, in what Warlord is concerned, it was a nice way to end the arc, answering some questions that I had from the previous installment but also leaving some unanswered. Well, too bad, overall, it was good, maybe not as gripping as the second book - far from the first's unbreakable grasp, but nevertheless an enjoyable book.

As a review for th

• Mist's Edge (The Broken Lands, #2)
  • Wayfarer's Keep (The Broken Lands, #3)
  • Pathfinder's Way (The Broken Lands, #1)
  • The Winter King (Weathermages of Mystral, #1)
  • Queen of Song and Souls (Tairen Soul, #4)
  • Crown of Crystal Flame (Tairen Soul, #5)
  • Lady of Light and Shadows (Tairen Soul, #2)
  • King of Sword and Sky (Tairen Soul, #3)
  • Lord of the Fading Lands (Tairen Soul, #1)
  • The Sea King (Weathermages of Mystral, #2)
  • Death Wind (Elven Alliance, #3)
  • Breath of Fire (Kingmaker Chronicles, #2)
  • Fierce Heart (Elven Alliance, #1)
  • War Bound (Elven Alliance #2)
  • The Wind's Call (The Broken Lands, #4)
  • A Promise of Fire (Kingmaker Chronicles, #1)
  • Heart on Fire (Kingmaker Chronicles, #3)
  • Claimed by the Horde King (Horde Kings of Dakkar, #2)

Elizabeth A. Vaughan is the author of the Chronicles of the Warlands, a fantasy romance trilogy from Tor Books: Warprize (her first novel), Warsworn, and Warlord..

She's always loved fantasy and science fiction, and has been a fantasy role-player since 1981. By day, Beth's secret identity is that of a lawyer, pr

Chronicles of the Warlands (6 books)
  • Warprize  (Chronicles of the Warlands, #1)
  • Warsworn  (Chronicles of the Warlands, #2)
  • Warcry (Chronicles of the Warlands, #4)
  • WarDance (Chronicles of the Warlands, #5)
  • Warsong (Chronicles of the Warlands, #6)

News & Interviews

“Fear Hold you still when you need to move, and moves you when you need to be still.
Fear makes you silent when you need to be Loud, and Loud when you need silence.
Fear closes your throat, makes it hard to breathe.
Fear weakens your hand and blinds your eyes.
Fear is a danger.
Know your fear.
Face your fear.”
7 likes
“Fear makes you silent when you need to be loud and loud when you need silence.” 5 likes