Start by marking “Una conjura en Hispania (Marco Didio Falco, #8)” as Want to Read:
Una conjura en Hispania (Marco Didio Falco, #8)

Una conjura en Hispania (Marcus Didius Falco #8)

4.06  ·  Rating details ·  2,397 Ratings  ·  72 Reviews
Cuando el jefe de los servicios de espionaje de emperador Vespasiano sufre un atentado en las calles de Roma, Marco Didio Falco recibe el encargo de resolver el caso. Sus investigaciones le conducen hasta una sociedad de importadores de aceite de Hispania, y, siguiendo su rastro, se ve obligado a viajar a Corduba acompañado por su inseparable Helena Justina, embarazada de ...more
Published May 28th 1999 by Edhasa (first published 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Una conjura en Hispania, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Una conjura en Hispania

Jamie Collins
Set in 73 AD: Our heroes Falco and Helena, who are shortly expecting their first child, travel to Spain on a mission to track down a murderer and uncover shenanigans in the olive oil market.

Not one of my favorites in this series, but these are consistently amusing. I prefer the ones that are set in the city of Rome, which so far is about every other book. So I'm looking forward to the next one.

The details of the olive oil business were interesting, and I liked the depiction of a wild teenage par
aPriL does feral sometimes
'A Dying Light in Corduba', #8 in the Marcus Didius Falco detective series, is an overcomplicated plot involving Roman and Baetican (Spanish) politicians scheming to monopolize the olive oil market. I was not convinced despite the complexity - it was a Rube Goldberg device from beginning to end. Oh well.

Roman Falco takes his 7-month pregnant girlfriend, Helena Justina, to Spain at her insistence, despite the potential dangers of bad guys and to her pregnancy. She refuses to be left alone in Rome
Assaph Mehr
May 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: roman-detectives
Back on the road, Falco travels to Spain and explores the all-important Olive Oil trade across the Roman empire. (And if you think for a moment that ancient trade was not a global phenomenon on a vast scale, look up Monte Testaccio).

Expect a convoluted plot encompassing politicians and money, as well as agricultural and trade copnsiderations. I personally love the setting (having visited modern Cordoba), but this was a quick and lighter read than the previous volume in the series (Time to Depar
Scot
Dec 06, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Eighth in the series. The plot grows rather convoluted, working through layers upon layers of misinformation and double dealing as the ruling Roman bureacracy, with myriad counterproductive agencies and factions, confronts the possible formation of an economic cartel to control the increasingly lucrative olive oil trade coming out of first century Spain, now solidly under Roman rule for enough generations to have the language and Roman traditions fairly well established. Finding out who actually ...more
Shayla McBride
Jul 05, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Love this series! Falco is warm, funny, sometimes funny, sometimes cybical, always honest. The new series starring his adopted daughter, Flavia Alba, is excellent, too.
Kathryn
The setting is a highly accessible take on Ancient Rome. Here our hero, Marcus Didius Falco, solves convoluted and often political crimes and lives an otherwise gentle domestic life with a great character of a wife called Helena.
I'm scoring it a 3 because it's a relaxing read rather than a page turner but I'm reviewing it at all because it was a real pleasure to coast through, and the author's written A LOT of them - which is very good news indeed.
TheIron Paw
I've been trying to read the Falco series in order, but when you're on holidays in small towns, you take what you can find. Davis has done some excellent historical research for this, as usual, funny and exciting crime novel set in ancient Rome (well, actually in Roman Spain this time) - everything you need to know about the politics surrounding the olive industry.
Lizzie Robinson
Jan 24, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is my favourite novel in the series so far. Falco and Helena are never the conventional couple. As well as a rollicking good adventure we are supplied with a interesting travelogue of S Spain. Anacrites and his henchmen (woman) are a lively addition to the mix. I wonder what Petro is getting up to whilst Falco is out of town?
Susan
Mar 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Falco has been invited to a dinner with the Society of Olive Oil Producers of Baetica, along with The Chief Spy Anacrites.
When two members of the party are attacked Falco travels to Baetica in Spain to track down and question witnesses. Along with a very heavily pregnant Helena Justina.
Pat
Feb 20, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I started to read the Falco series from the beginning and continue to enjoy them enormously. Marcus Didius and his partner, Helena, are well established as a couple and now seem like old friends to me. Roll on the next book.
Kathy
Mar 22, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoy all of the Marcus Didius Falco "hard-boiled" Roman mysteries. Although anachronistic (?) the humor is irresistable. And I love the the "love story".
Rachel Burton
The one in Spain with the olive oil, the intrepid dancing girl and the birth of Falco's firstborn!
Tom Stallard
Dec 26, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A relatively satisfying Falco mystery, wandering around Spain. The end seemed a little rushed, and it missed out on some of the griminess of Rome, but good none-the-less.
Agnesxnitt
Mar 14, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Oh dear I have a new addiction of the reading kind...
Falco, Falco, Falco - what are you *like*? I fear the man will never have any sort of regular reliable paycheck coming in, but constantly on call to the Emperor, running around what we call Europe at his beck and call. On less than minimum wage and no travel and subsistence payments either.
On this occasion, our hero is invited to a rather obscure dining club event, where he bumps into two of his least favourite people - Anacrites, the chief Sp
Helen
I've just learned how careful we have to be when buying olive oil and how we could be scammed no matter how careful we are. Now I've read this book which tells about a potential price cartel in the Spanish olive business in the time of the emperor Vespasian. Plus ca change as they say. There is a dinner for oil producers at the palace and Falco is invited for reasons he can't quite fathom. After the dinner Falco's sometime boss Anacrites the Chief Spy and one of his agents are attacked resulting ...more
Dyana
Jul 28, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This 8th in the series is set in ancient Rome in 73 A.D. Our hero is Marcus Didius Falco, a private informer (investigator) who is soon to be a father. He still hasn't managed to achieve for himself a position in society where he can actually marry Helena whose father is a Senator. The story is part detective novel and part romantic comedy with lots of historical adventure. These stories are always witty and this one involves a convoluted plot beginning in Rome and then ending in Corduba, Hispan ...more
Larry
Aug 20, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The book was a little slow at the beginning, but by the beginning of Part Two (Chapter 19), the pace picked up, and I was thoroughly hooked. Davis presents wonderfully vivid characters, and she has a fine eye for historical detail. She ties in Falco's past, the events of the first Falco mystery, to add perspective to Falco's career and his relationship with Helena Justina. The ending seemed a bit rushed, but the situation presented in the beginning is neatly wrapped up.
Ric
Aug 27, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lindsey-davis
It takes me a little while to keep up with all the characters in the story. This story was very good. Following Falco is always entertaining and interesting. The political intrigue and complex thinking is really scary, thinking how and why people then, as well as now, think and act. A very good read.
Gayle Noble
Marcus Didius Falco and the heavily pregnant Helena end up in Hispania, chasing an olive oil cartel and a deadly dancing girl. This one was only ok, something about it just didn't work as well as the others for me. I found it dragged in a few places.
Pat Morris-jones
Not a classic, no great world shattering, insightful book. But good. I didn't think I would rate it but it was an audiobook that had right author for Book vipers challenge (sad I know). Despite these unhelpful thoughts it was ok. Good story, easy to listen to. Fine.
Regina Roach
Jun 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love every book in this series

Another entertaining book in Lindsey Davis's charming series about Marcus Didius Falco, a detective in Ancient Rome. This one brings him and his pregnant patrician girlfriend to Spain investigating a murder and suspected cartel.
Edwin
May 18, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Usual Lindsey Davis fare. Well written, well researched and a good read all round.
Rachael Krotec
Feb 21, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I just love this series by Lindsey Davis! With each book, the story gets better and better. I am not an avid reader of "detective" crime novels, but this series is my exception. The writing is spot on and has a little bit of everything: drama, romance, and comedy. Truly, great characters that you feel like you know and care about from book to book. Highly recommend, even if you don't typically pick up crime novels. You won't be disappointed.
Kissmekate
Sep 26, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Falco, the likeably chaotic private eye in ancient Rome, is supposed to keep his eyes and ears open at a lavish dinner of influential olive-oil manufacturers from the Spanish provinces. Rumour has it that there is a cartel in the making, aiming to drive the price of the already luxuriously expensive oil even further skyward. He doesn't find out anything particularly useful, but the evening comes to a tragic end - two guests are mugged and brutally beaten up on their way home, one of them dies of ...more
Barbra
Feb 13, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Very good read, this book did not take place in Rome which I really enjoy, but in the area surrounding Spain. Helena comes along on this adventure even though she is very pregnant and the anxiety that Falco has is quite amusing. All in all a very delightful story, both with the mystery and Falco's impending fatherhood.
Ruth
Sep 02, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime-historical
C1996. FWFTB: olive, fatherhood, dancer, investigation, Baetica. The 8th outing of Falco the Informer. Nothing has really changed for Falco other than Helena’s pregnancy. He has still not managed to climb up the class ladder and he remains at odds with the hierarchy in general.I didn’t seem to enjoy this book quite as much as some of the previous ones so perhaps it was the politics of the matter that I didn’t quite get a handle on. The writing is still excellent with the historical facts well hi ...more
M.G. Mason
Aug 09, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the eighth in the series and I’m not entirely sure what it was about this one that I really enjoyed, but of these first eight, it is probably my second favourite (behind Venus in Copper).

At the request of Spanish olive oil producers, Falco attends a lunch along with several other honoured guests. One of which is his chief rival, the spy Anacrites. When several members of the party are attacked, including Anacrites, Falco must travel to Baetica in Spain to track down and question as many
Rosanne Lortz
A Dying Light in Corduba saw our hero, Marcus Didius Falco, set off on a mission to Spain with a very pregnant Helena Justina in tow. Racketeers are forming a cartel to control the export and prices of olive oil. With a commodity that important to Roman society (think how important electric lighting is to us today!), the stakes are high and men are ready to kill for control. Marcus finds a close-knit and close-lipped society of provincials in Baetica, Spain. Everyone knows something about the in ...more
Cindy Matthews
We find Falco and his sweetheart Helena Justina right on the verge of parenthood in A Dying Light in Corduba, and somehow you know it's just not going to be easy for this pair. When Anacrites the Chief Spy is brutally attacked and another spy is killed, Falco finds himself going abroad to Spain to track down the culprits, discover a possible olive oil cartel, and check out the local Roman citizens who hold immense feelings of superiority. Falco wins the day eventually, but almost at the cost of ...more
Jessica
Mar 03, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Jessica by: I did
Shelves: falco, mysteries
Falco is a blast, as always. If I was an ancient Roman I'd like to have known a fellow like him. 'Course, if I was an ancient Roman I might have also died in childbirth.

Falco travels to Baetica (that's in what is now Spain, I think I'm spelling it right) with the very pregnant Helena (what a chick, I'm telling you) to find a murderer (of course) and suss out a possible conspiracy to rig prices for the precious, high quality Spanish (Baetican) olive oil.

You get to learn a good deal about olive oi
  • Rubicon (Roma Sub Rosa, #7)
  • SPQR VII: The Tribune's Curse (SPQR, #7)
  • The Germanicus Mosaic (Libertus Mystery of Roman Britain, #1)
  • Caveat Emptor (Gaius Petreius Ruso, #4)
Lindsey Davis, historical novelist, was born in Birmingham, England in 1949. Having taken a degree in English literature at Oxford University (Lady Margaret Hall), she became a civil servant. She left the civil service after 13 years, and when a romantic novel she had written was runner up for the 1985 Georgette Heyer Historical Novel Prize, she decided to become a writer, writing at first romanti ...more
More about Lindsey Davis

Marcus Didius Falco (1 - 10 of 20 books)
  • The Silver Pigs (Marcus Didius Falco, #1)
  • Shadows in Bronze (Marcus Didius Falco, #2)
  • Venus in Copper (Marcus Didius Falco, #3)
  • The Iron Hand of Mars (Marcus Didius Falco, #4)
  • Poseidon's Gold (Marcus Didius Falco, #5)
  • Last Act in Palmyra (Marcus Didius Falco, #6)
  • Time to Depart (Marcus Didius Falco, #7)
  • Three Hands in the Fountain (Marcus Didius Falco, #9)
  • Two for the Lions (Marcus Didius Falco, #10)
  • One Virgin Too Many (Marcus Didius Falco, #11)

Mystery & Thrillers Deals

• A Quiet Life In The Country (Lady Hardcastle Mysteries #1)
  • Pretty Girls Dancing
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Deliver Her
    $1.99 $0.99
  • The River Is Dark (Liam Dempsey, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Dark Monk (The Hangman's Daughter, #2)
    $6.49 $1.99
  • Rain Girl (Franza Oberwieser, #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Silent Harmony (Fairmont Riding Academy, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Shuddering
  • The Unseeing
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The 7th Canon
  • The Sisterhood
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Bum Rap (Jake Lassiter #10)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Question of Inheritance (A Very English Mystery #2)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Hunt (Atlanta Burns, #2)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • The Good Neighbor
    $3.99 $2.00
  • The Widow File (Dani Britton, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Cater Street Hangman (Charlotte & Thomas Pitt, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Shark Skin Suite (Serge Storms #18)
    $12.99 $1.99
  • Atlanta Burns (Atlanta Burns #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • Free Fall (The John Ceepak Mysteries)
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Interference
    $3.99 $1.99
  • A Man of Some Repute (A Very English Mystery #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • In The Market For Murder (Lady Hardcastle Mysteries #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Beggar King (The Hangman's Daughter, #3)
    $6.49 $1.99
  • The Poisoned Pilgrim (The Hangman's Daughter, #4)
    $6.49 $1.99
  • As The Crow Flies (DI Nick Dixon #1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • End of Secrets
    $4.49 $0.99
  • Sun Storm (Rebecka Martinsson, #1)
  • Only the Rain
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Eagle Has Landed (The Liam Devlin Novels)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Devil's Waltz (Alex Delaware, #7)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • A Red Herring Without Mustard (Flavia de Luce, #3)
    $11.99 $1.99
  • The Dressmaker's Dowry
  • The Lost Ones
  • The Halo Effect
  • The God's Eye View
  • What She Knew
  • Everyone Pays
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Werewolf of Bamberg (The Hangman's Daughter, # 5)
    $6.49 $1.99
  • The 7th Victim: A Novel: Volume 1 (The Karen Vail Novels)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Shattered Tree (Bess Crawford, #8)
  • The Dante Club