Start by marking “Roadside America: Architectural Relics from a Vanishing Past” as Want to Read:
Roadside America: Architectural Relics from a Vanishing Past

Roadside America: Architectural Relics from a Vanishing Past

3.96  ·  Rating details ·  46 Ratings  ·  7 Reviews

The native genius of America's mid-era automobile culture

Before the advent of corporate communications and architectural uniformity, America's built environment was a free-form landscape of individual expression. Signs, artifacts, and even buildings ranged from playful to eccentric, from deliciously cartoonish to quasipsychedelic. Photographer John Margolies spent over th

Hardcover, Multilingual Edition: English, French, German, 260 pages
Published April 1st 2010 by Taschen (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Roadside America, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Roadside America

Katy
Jun 24, 2013 rated it really liked it
This book makes me want to jump in my time machine and go back to the 80s. Because who wouldn't want to have a cup of coffee at The Coffee Pot Tavern in Bedford, Pennsylvania...which is shaped like a coffee pot?! I was happy to see my city represented (only once, surprisingly) on page 218 with the former glorious Beltline Drive-In Theatre, picture from 1982. The massive neon sign is flanked by Goofy and no, not Donald Duck, but Bugs Bunny who suspiciously looks like he's giving you the finger.
Derek Wolfgram
Nov 29, 2010 rated it really liked it
I'm thankful to Taschen for giving John Margolies the coffee-table book treatment he deserves. The preeminent photographer of the American roadside for the last three decades, Margolies has preserved a record of the drive-in theaters, motels, diners, gas stations, miniature golf, curio shops and tourist attractions that are increasingly disappearing from the blue highways of America. If you enjoy the road less travelled, or if you've ever dreamed of recreating the trip from Chicago to L.A. on Ro ...more
David Allen
Jul 16, 2011 rated it liked it
Just what it sounds like: photos of motels, diners, coffee shops, movie theaters, gas stations and other commercial structures, some faded, some pristine, from odd corners of America. Some are paired nicely for humorous effect, such as two successive images involving a mock Statue of Liberty, one at a miniature golf course, one outside a heating and air conditioning business.
TrumanCoyote
Mar 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
A lot of fun (although I did think that adding pictures from miniature golf courses was cheating a bit). I didn't bother to read the intro (in any of the languages), because frankly I don't really care what some egghead has to say about all of this stuff.
Bill
Nov 19, 2011 rated it it was amazing
John Margolies is the great documenter of 20th Century roadside American architecture, and this is nice, large-format collection of some of his best photos. Read my full review at http://www.interestingideas.com/updat...
Jana Eichhorn
Jul 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing
So perfect. If I ever own a coffee table, this will be the only book on it.
Stephen
Enjoyable. A nice work of collection about a topic I have been intrigued by for quite awhile. A mix of visual investigation about tourism, advertising and folk art. Vivid color and background texts.
Richard Gombert