Start by marking “Ivory” as Want to Read:
Ivory

Ivory

Simultaneous release of the eagerly awaited latest title from bestselling thriller writer, set in Mozambique and South Africa.

Guaranteed to appeal to fans of Wilbur Smith and Beverley Harper.

Alex Tremain is a pirate in trouble. The two women in his life - one of them his financial adviser, the other his diesel mechanic - have left him. He's facing a mounting tide of debts
Audiobook, 14 pages
Published August 1st 2009 by Bolinda Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Ivory, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ivory

Start your review of Ivory
J.K. Grice
Jul 23, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
IVORY by Tony Park was a thrilling action adventure novel, and it was also smartly done and intelligently written. I really liked this book. It was intriguing to read an Australian author, who also lives part time in South Africa. This gave the novel a very international flavor, and Park's military expertise and historical knowledge of southern Africa are quite evident here. He keeps the story flowing smoothly and there are wonderfully detailed locales and twists and turns around every corner. ...more
Anji
Aug 06, 2011 rated it really liked it
This book's got everything! Thrills, pirates, travel, romance, mystery, guns, high speed car chases, wild animals... I'm thoroughly enjoying it. At the risk of sounding sexist, it's kind of 'blokey'... You know? Crime and ships and guns and women... That being said though, I like the action and adrenalin as a change of pace. Think Pirates of The Carribean meets The Bourne Identity :) LOL
Angela
Dec 02, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

This is a crazy good pirate adventure! Alex lives on the shores of Mozambique, building a luxury hotel with a band of friends who have their own agendas. They are a group of pirates, stealing supplies and construction materials whenever they can, until a bigwig with a secret tries HIS hand at piracy. And then the bigwigs corporate attorney Jane gets all mixed up in the crossfire. Throw in a Chinese crime lord, some Romancing the Stone meets Oceans Eleven, and youve got yourself excitement on
Beverly
This adventure thriller was a pure escapism audio book for me that kept me on my walking schedule that I did not even mind being out in the heat and humidity.
This is a fast-paced plot with twists and turns at every corner and there are bad guys and then again there are bad guys it just depends on your definition of bad. Interesting diverse cast of flawed characters kept me listening. The physical descriptions and the historical background put me into the time and place. And that Jane was such
Don
Aug 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: j-2016_goal-33
Took a while to get into the story, before piracy, smuggling, murder and elephant culling became the main focus. As with most of Tony Park's books there is an extra half star because he includes towns that I have visited in South Africa. Worth a read even though I am biased.
Debby
Mar 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction, thrillers
This audio book was on sale for $4.95, so I took a chance. The narrator is excellent, with his British accent. He does a great Afrikaans accent as well. The story was really action packed, from the very beginning. Alex Tremain is a pirate of a different sort. He loves animals. He has a conscience. He's a modern day Robin Hood, of sorts. He loves women... enter Jane. The plot is very "as if" for sure. Lots of shooting, definitely the gratuitous explicit sex and the plot was totally predictable. ...more
Muphyn
Sep 10, 2009 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: no-one, not even modern day pirates
Now that I have finished this, I ask myself 'why oh why, did I bother reading another Tony Park book'?? It's not like "Zambezi" was in any shape or form promising, so what on earth possessed me to read another one of his? Sheer hope that this one might be better??

Well, it's not - the plot is so ridiculous (modern day pirates operating off the coast of Mozambique), with all the badies getting killed and all the goodies miraculously managing to survive despite being shot at multiple times,
Jessica Howard
I was intrigued by the premise (man turns pirate to earn money to refurbish his parents' old hotel on an island off the coast of Mozambique), and I liked the beginning. But by the middle I just didn't really care much. Spoiler: lots of sex, lots of violence. Bad guys die, good guy wins. The end.
Durinda
Feb 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
Good adventure and mystery with loads of twists and turns. Loved reading about South Africa and Mozambique, very descriptive. Well done, Tony Park, you brought the essence of Africa through in this book.
Linda
Aug 15, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Too heavy on the technical detail to fully hold my interest. I did enjoy the storyline though.
Flyer
Sep 03, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-have
Another good Africa read I was however a bit disappointed with the ending. And they all loved happily ever after.
Richard
Sep 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
Second Tony Park book published 2 years after Safari in 2009 but available in the UK in 2016 via Quercus books. This is the paperback version not an Audio CD.

No linkage to previous book.

Its actually better than Safari with both Jane and Alex painted sympathetically but the baddies are very stereotyped. There are also lots of twists and turns.

The ending is full of action, tension, excitement and just plausible though Mitch's demise is least believable.

Alex is a multi faceted character with lots
Carole Anderson
Apr 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Diana Donnelly
This was a new author for me. The story takes place in Africa and is about Alex, a pirate who is pirating to try to rebuild the hotel on the island he grew up on (sounds definitely like paradise!). Unfortunately, he has a conscience, but that does turn out to be a good thing. It's a great story, with a little African history thrown in as well as the elephants. A very edge of your seat, fascinating read!
Melliott
Sep 21, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller
It was good...but it didn't wow me. All the elements were there, so I'm not sure why it fell so flat. Maybe I just wasn't in the mood. But I mean, it's about pirates! And they certainly pull off some daring, near-impossible stunts, and the characters are pretty well fleshed out, and there is an element of suspense...I don't know what the problem was. Too didactic about some things and not explicit enough about others? (view spoiler) ...more
Jerry Jordan
Oct 28, 2016 rated it liked it
Well outfitted, pirate with a conscience meets a pretty girl story. Next time I'm in the region on a cruise ship I will hope those inclined to take control of a vessel are not as well equipped. I did keep waiting for Jack Bauer to appear, but alas, he must have been engaged elsewhere. I listened to the Audible version and very much enjoyed the narrator.
Jim
May 14, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Park told a "keeps you on the edge of your seat" story where the good guys don't always "wear white." It was an enjoyable book with a touch of mystery, a touch of romance, and a touch of African wildlife. If Park had limited himself and not been so graphic, the book would have been superb.
Norah
Apr 24, 2013 rated it liked it
this was a good light read for all the book is quite long. I didn't have to work too hard and it was a nice relaxing read. If you just want to rest and enjoy this book will do it. It wasn't too hard to pick up and put down but still enjoyable.
Tom Priestley
Jan 03, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fun, fast pace book. Intriguing scenarios between main characters, and a few twists. Enjoyed the vivid description of the African game preserves. If you enjoy good guys vs bad guys vs flawed guys, this is your book.
Harshal Gangurde
May 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
It's a fast paced thriller that has adventure, guns, affection, love, animals and vessels. Loved reading this one. It's a story of a pirate, Alex, who posses the courageous heart along with a soft corner for people and animals.
Andrea Blumrick
May 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book, especially that it was set between Mozambique & South Africa. I also enjoy anything to do with wildlife and especially elephants. All round excellent combination of pirating, a good plot and bit of a love story all combined. I couldn't put it down
Nicola Sheridan
Sep 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Yet another awesome Tony Park book. Alive with rich language, evocative imagery, steamy romance, and the stark realities of Africa - not to mention modern day pirates... this book was a pleasure to read. Highly recommended.
Nancy Mcdaniel
May 07, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I find Tony Park's writing to be spellbinding. - his books are all SUCH good reads. And his research is spot on(I have been to two of the places and he desscibed them perfectly!) Wish his books were easier to find in the United States
Therese
Aug 19, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
'Ivory' is an action-charged adventure story that kept me hooked until the very end. The author brings the people and places of southern Africa to life in a way few others have accomplished.
Jilly Lind
Dec 28, 2012 rated it liked it
Another easy to read action type book that's set in Africa you grab from the library for a bit of holiday reading.
John Polson
Jun 05, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
He's being compared to Wilbur Smith. Big call - but he's good.
Curt Hopkins Hopkins
First time I ever listened to an audio book. The experience was OK, but they were on CDs and I prefer MP3s so I can walk around with it.
Sandra
May 31, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audio, mystery
Engaging thriller about pirates off the coast of Mozambique.
Jill
Jan 10, 2016 rated it liked it
Handed to me during a flight. I wouldn't normally choose a book like this but it turned out to be an OK read. A bit like an Indiana jones adventure.
Laurie Davis
Jul 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
A fun read. Pure escapism! My first Tony Park book and it won't be my last!!
Nancy
Feb 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is a fast moving adventure/romance that would probably make a good movie. It's definitely good to listen to on a walk if you enjoy it as an audiobook.

• The Forgotten Sea
  • Somewhere Out There
  • Call of the Raven (The Ballantyne Novels, #0.5)
  • Daisy in Chains
  • Breaking The Silence
  • I Am Death (Robert Hunter, #7)
  • Cry of the Firebird
  • Ghost Fire (Courtney, #18)
  • Scared to Death (Jessie Flynn, #2)
  • An Evil Mind (Robert Hunter, #6)
  • TRACKING EVIL: An African Adventure Story
  • The Survivors
  • Perfect Liars
  • Pirate (Fargo Adventure, #8)
  • The Abduction Of Thomas Lawson (Taken!/Tanner #3; Tanner #20.5; Taken! #20.5)
  • No Turning Back
  • Never See It Coming (A Tanner Novel Book 36)
  • Cloudburst
Tony Park was born in 1964 and grew up in the western suburbs of Sydney. He has worked as a newspaper reporter in Australia and England, a government press secretary, a public relations consultant, and a freelance writer.

He served 34 years in the Australian Army Reserve, including six months in Afghanistan in 2002.

Tony and his wife, Nicola, split their time between Australia and Africa, where they

News & Interviews