Start by marking “Healing After Loss: Daily Meditations For Working Through Grief” as Want to Read:
Healing After Loss: Daily Meditations For Working Through Grief

Healing After Loss: Daily Meditations For Working Through Grief

The classic guide for dealing with grief and loss

For those who have suffered the loss of a loved one, here are thoughtful words to strengthen, inspire and comfort.
Published December 1st 1994 by William Morrow Paperbacks

To ask other readers questions about Healing After Loss, please sign up.
Laura Bullock Yes I recommend it. It is a daily devotional you can read anywhere on whatever day you start. It helped me immensely deal with grief after losing my…moreYes I recommend it. It is a daily devotional you can read anywhere on whatever day you start. It helped me immensely deal with grief after losing my Mom.(less)

Start your review of Healing After Loss: Daily Meditations For Working Through Grief
Tonya Wertman
Jan 15, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: the-journey
Three months ago I lost my both of my parents suddenly and tragically to carbon monoxide poisoning. It was a devastating loss and I have yet to find peace, but I bought this book for myself and as I read the daily meditations, I am provided with hope and comfort.

The passages are very deep and realistic, written by someone who has suffered a tremendous loss as well.

I hope I continue to gain comfort from this bedside companion.
Judith Praag
Mar 26, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This is the kind of book that continues giving. I added it to the list of books that brought solace during period of grief and mourning after my baby had died at birth in 1993 and the following four miscarriages. There's nothing like recognition of what you've gone through/ are going through yourself... And nothing like a writer who knows what will really help. Little things that help one center and come back to the core.
Cyndy
Feb 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Hard to believe a year has passed since I lost my soulmate.

This book, with one meditation for each day, helped me so much. Given to me by a dear friend, I didn't expect to relate to it as much as I did. The author wrote this book after her daughter died. It's not super religious. Rather, it deals with what the person grieving is feeling. Sometimes I feel so out of sync. Inevitably the meditation for that day would describe just what I felt. I'm thinking of starting it again.

I highly recommend
Naomi Farley
Apr 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This isn’t really a book you finish. You keep it near you and read it over and over, sometimes you stay on one page for days...comforting. A book I gave and was given.
Marcela
Dec 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
I bought this book after my mom passed away. It has been the toughest thing that I’ve ever been through. This book has daily meditations to help with grieving. It has helped.
Molly
Aug 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Best grief related devotional I'v ever found. It is fantastic. Full of awesome quotes. So affirming in so many ways.
Eileen
Jun 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is a great book for grieving after a loss in your life of a dear one. There are thoughtful and comforting words which bring strength to a person. I enjoyed reading this and then started again on the Daily Meditation for each day and it is very comforting. Thanks to my sister's gift to me-- after the loss on my dear loving significant other/boyfriend, a caring wonderful loving man, who I miss very much.
He passed away suddenly on his way to my house one evening with a heart attack. We had
Betsy Williams
Sep 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
After losing my daughter, this book has been the most helpful of the books I've been given. It is a daily guide with small manageable thoughts to help the grieving person get through. I'm grateful to have found it and keep it on my nightstand.
Araminta Matthews
Mar 25, 2018 rated it liked it
This offers a vast series of insights into healing the grief of major loss. Since this is something all of humanity can share, there are a lot of relatable gems in here. I appreciated it for what it was.
Dulcie
Apr 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm technically currently reading this but I'm reviewing it now because I'm getting so much out of it. It's a book of daily meditations for those who have lost someone and I've been reading a few in the morning and evening. The author lost her daughter and I'm finding her insights to be so relatable and so profound. She puts into words things I'm feeling but can't quite articulate, so that when I read certain passages I think, "Yes - exactly!" and she is also giving me greater understanding of ...more
Awilk -never sleeps-
Not a book that needs rating. If you are reading this you are going through hard times, and this may help you.
Alisa
Jul 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: inspirational
This little companion helped me get through a very tough time in my life when I was dealing with profound grief and pain.
B Sherburn LaBelle
This was recommended by my doctor. On bad days it was comforting to read.
Chris Yavelow
Feb 25, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: grief
Good for seeing the approaches to grief from many different faiths or lacks thereof. Most of the authors of these one page reflections are quite well known.
Julie
Jan 09, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This book was one of the reasons I made it through the hardest part of my grief...
Nancy
Jan 19, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I have read this book several times and continue to read excerpts from it over and over. It speaks to me. It comforts me.
Heather
Nov 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I'm going to call this book "done" for now, although I'm not finished reading it. It's more something you dip into from time to time.

It's really fantastic, though. Hickman's insights on grief are usually spot-on, although there were one or two so far that didn't apply to my particular situation.

There is a brief meditation for each day of the year. I suffered a late-term miscarriage, so I found it particularly poignant that on my daughter's actual birthday, October 7, the passage talked about how
Gwendolyn Broadmore
May 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
“Healing After Loss: Daily Meditations for Working through Grief,” by Martha Whitmore Hickman is a treasure. It is one of my stand-by books on understanding, living with, and coping with grief. Compact in size, you can easily hold it in one hand, or slip it in your pocket, but large in content—365 days of encouragement. Perhaps you’ll read it by starting with today’s date onward, the whole book in one gulp, or by cherry-picking the pages which most speak to you? Each small page begins with an ...more
Sarife Solis
Nov 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book helped me so much after my husband passed away. I learned about it at my bereavement therapies; at the beginning and end of each session the therapist read one; those readings gave me a lot of insights, peace and strength that I decided to buy it. I have read it several times and love it! I try to give it to those around me that are going through grief.
Erica
Dec 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lovely medicine for the grieving heart

I loved the daily nuggets of tenderness and inspiration. They were a gentle and honest reminder that we all suffer loss and that death is a natural part of life that we can navigate with love and grace. It’s simply lovely and easy to read. I’ll keep coming back time and again.
Ann
Aug 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Daily reflections about death and the hope that springs forth for us to move on with our lives. Some religious aspects but thoughts mostly come from historians, authors, poets, philosophers etc. Helped me greatly after my husband died.
J Crossley
Aug 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: grieving
Each day contains a quote, an essay, and an affirmation about grief. A variety of areas of grief are explored. This book will be a wonderful resource whenever I have to work through grief.
Karen Trench
Jun 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
In one word: comforting. A MUST for anyone on a grief journey.
Kimberly
Jul 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Thoughtful meditation and seems to be helpful in managing grief; I leave it on my nightstand and read it before bed.
Margaretflynn
Dec 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Another companion to my days as I travel with my own experience of the ever unfolding entity that visits all of us. I highly recommend this daily reader.
Jul 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book has been very helpful as I grieve my mother's passing. I carry this book in my purse and read from it each day. The passages help.
Michelle Beese
Dec 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful daily meditations that are truly helpful for healing the deep grief of losing someone so dear to your heart.
Lucille Zimmerman
Jan 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I get this small digestible book for all my friends and clients who are grieving. I heard about it from former FOX News anchor Megan Kelly.
LemontreeLime
Nov 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
I'm marking this read because its a page a day sort of book, one you dip into as needed. Very powerful words of wisdom. One I'll keep for a while yet.
Aloma
Oct 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Read each day for the first year after my Mom died, it did help
« previous 1 3 next »

• It's OK That You're Not OK: Meeting Grief and Loss in a Culture That Doesn't Understand
  • Understanding Your Grief: Ten Essential Touchstones for Finding Hope and Healing Your Heart
  • I Wasn't Ready to Say Goodbye: Surviving, Coping and Healing After the Sudden Death of a Loved One
  • Swimming Between Worlds
  • Rockabye: From Wild to Child
  • The Girlfriends' Guide to Pregnancy
  • Belly Laughs: The Naked Truth About Pregnancy and Childbirth
  • Night and Day (Eve Duncan, #21)
  • Chasing The Night (Eve Duncan, #11; Catherine Ling, #1)
  • Taking Eve (Eve Duncan, #16)
  • Sleep No More (Eve Duncan, #15)
  • Bonnie (Eve Duncan, #14; Eve, Quinn and Bonnie #3)
  • Shadow Play (Eve Duncan, #19)
  • Hide Away (Eve Duncan, #20)
  • Eve (Eve Duncan, #12; Eve, Quinn & Bonnie, #1)
  • Silencing Eve (Eve Duncan, #18)
  • A Cup of Light
  • Plum Wine
“...how gracious seem the small gifts that may come - a patch of sunlight on a cold floor, an unexpected gesture of friendship, the fragrant steam of hot tea.” 5 likes
“Sometimes when I am feeling down, I am my own worst enemy. Let me be my friend.” 4 likes