Start by marking “Healing After Loss: Daily Meditations For Working Through Grief” as Want to Read:
Healing After Loss: Daily Meditations For Working Through Grief

Healing After Loss: Daily Meditations For Working Through Grief

The classic guide for dealing with grief and loss

For those who have suffered the loss of a loved one, here are thoughtful words to strengthen, inspire and comfort.
Published December 1st 1994 by William Morrow Paperbacks

To ask other readers questions about Healing After Loss, please sign up.
Laura Bullock Yes I recommend it. It is a daily devotional you can read anywhere on whatever day you start. It helped me immensely deal with grief after losing my M…moreYes I recommend it. It is a daily devotional you can read anywhere on whatever day you start. It helped me immensely deal with grief after losing my Mom.(less)

Start your review of Healing After Loss: Daily Meditations For Working Through Grief
Tonya Wertman
Jan 15, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: the-journey
Three months ago I lost my both of my parents suddenly and tragically to carbon monoxide poisoning. It was a devastating loss and I have yet to find peace, but I bought this book for myself and as I read the daily meditations, I am provided with hope and comfort.

The passages are very deep and realistic, written by someone who has suffered a tremendous loss as well.

I hope I continue to gain comfort from this bedside companion.
Judith Praag
Mar 26, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This is the kind of book that continues giving. I added it to the list of books that brought solace during period of grief and mourning after my baby had died at birth in 1993 and the following four miscarriages. There's nothing like recognition of what you've gone through/ are going through yourself... And nothing like a writer who knows what will really help. Little things that help one center and come back to the core.
Marcela
Dec 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
I bought this book after my mom passed away. It has been the toughest thing that I’ve ever been through. This book has daily meditations to help with grieving. It has helped.
Cyndy
Feb 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Hard to believe a year has passed since I lost my soulmate.

This book, with one meditation for each day, helped me so much. Given to me by a dear friend, I didn't expect to relate to it as much as I did. The author wrote this book after her daughter died. It's not super religious. Rather, it deals with what the person grieving is feeling. Sometimes I feel so out of sync. Inevitably the meditation for that day would describe just what I felt. I'm thinking of starting it again.

I highly recommend
Naomi Farley
Apr 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This isn’t really a book you finish. You keep it near you and read it over and over, sometimes you stay on one page for days...comforting. A book I gave and was given.
Dulcie
Apr 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm technically currently reading this but I'm reviewing it now because I'm getting so much out of it. It's a book of daily meditations for those who have lost someone and I've been reading a few in the morning and evening. The author lost her daughter and I'm finding her insights to be so relatable and so profound. She puts into words things I'm feeling but can't quite articulate, so that when I read certain passages I think, "Yes - exactly!" and she is also giving me greater understanding of s ...more
Gina
Dec 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I received this book in September 2017, a few weeks after my eldest son Joshua passed away. My best friend living in Canada sent it by post. I have read it twice times now. in 2019 I read it everyday without fail. Martha has a gentle way with words, each day's meditation opens up the heart to healing step by step. and i love how intuitively she places words on pages under days that comfort when i fall back into hopelessness and sorrow. i would recommend this even if you aren't suffering loss, yo ...more
Awilk -never sleeps-
Not a book that needs rating. If you are reading this you are going through hard times, and this may help you.
Molly
Aug 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Best grief related devotional I'v ever found. It is fantastic. Full of awesome quotes. So affirming in so many ways.
Eileen
Jun 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is a great book for grieving after a loss in your life of a dear one. There are thoughtful and comforting words which bring strength to a person. I enjoyed reading this and then started again on the Daily Meditation for each day and it is very comforting. Thanks to my sister's gift to me-- after the loss on my dear loving significant other/boyfriend, a caring wonderful loving man, who I miss very much.
He passed away suddenly on his way to my house one evening with a heart attack. We had spo
Maria
Sep 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Because this is a book of daily devotionals, I'm reading it continuously, every single day. I bought it at a Jesuit retreat center while on a retreat last year, and it has brought me immense comfort after the death of my beloved mother last summer. And I will continue to read it as I go forward. I cannot recommend this tiny book highly enough to anyone who has suffered the loss of a loved one--and that pretty much includes every one of us.
Betsy Williams
Sep 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
After losing my daughter, this book has been the most helpful of the books I've been given. It is a daily guide with small manageable thoughts to help the grieving person get through. I'm grateful to have found it and keep it on my nightstand.
Araminta Matthews
Mar 25, 2018 rated it liked it
This offers a vast series of insights into healing the grief of major loss. Since this is something all of humanity can share, there are a lot of relatable gems in here. I appreciated it for what it was.
Julie
Jan 09, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This book was one of the reasons I made it through the hardest part of my grief...
Nancy
Jan 19, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I have read this book several times and continue to read excerpts from it over and over. It speaks to me. It comforts me.
Alisa
Jul 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: inspirational
This little companion helped me get through a very tough time in my life when I was dealing with profound grief and pain.
Chris Yavelow
Feb 25, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: grief
Good for seeing the approaches to grief from many different faiths or lacks thereof. Most of the authors of these one page reflections are quite well known.
B Sherburn LaBelle
This was recommended by my doctor. On bad days it was comforting to read.
Heather
Nov 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I'm going to call this book "done" for now, although I'm not finished reading it. It's more something you dip into from time to time.

It's really fantastic, though. Hickman's insights on grief are usually spot-on, although there were one or two so far that didn't apply to my particular situation.

There is a brief meditation for each day of the year. I suffered a late-term miscarriage, so I found it particularly poignant that on my daughter's actual birthday, October 7, the passage talked about how
Gwendolyn Broadmore
May 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
“Healing After Loss: Daily Meditations for Working through Grief,” by Martha Whitmore Hickman is a treasure. It is one of my stand-by books on understanding, living with, and coping with grief. Compact in size, you can easily hold it in one hand, or slip it in your pocket, but large in content—365 days of encouragement. Perhaps you’ll read it by starting with today’s date onward, the whole book in one gulp, or by cherry-picking the pages which most speak to you? Each small page begins with an in ...more
Andrea
Mar 09, 2020 rated it it was ok
My mom sent me this about six months after my husband passed away. She received it from friends of my grandad's when he passed away back in 2010. Although I didn't read every word, I like that it's separated by date with a short blurb or words of wisdom about losing someone. It's a nice book to read little by little (one page for each date), in sections or the entire book at once. Some of the blurbs were better and more helpful than others but I enjoyed it. Not the best book on grief that I've e ...more
Heather
Aug 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I highly recommend this book to anyone dealing with grief. My best friend gave it to me after my husband was killed suddenly in a car accident. This little book is filled with daily readings that helped me understand that my grief was real, I wasn’t going crazy, and I wasn’t the only person feeling what I was feeling.

This book is not religious, but rather very spiritual. When a person is deep in grief their attention span is quite diminished, so the short daily readings are just the perfect len
Virginia
Apr 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Would recommend for absolutely anyone who's dealing with loss (of any kind). Sure, all losses are different and not everything will apply to you directly, but I still benefitted from the things that didn't apply to me, and gained a better understanding of the breadth/depth of all grief from it.

The fact that the daily entries are a single page is a real help--some days it was hard to do anything, but I could read a short page, and knowing what the page would include every time was a plus as well
Joseph J.
Oct 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I lost my mom at 96 years in June, and a Hospice counselor loaned me this book. Excellent, as the reflections are headed by cogent quotes from the works of a diverse group of writers, from the ancients to Andre Dubus, from the Bible to Van Gogh. C.S. Lewis and Daphne Du Maurier particularly speak to me, and Emily Dickinson brings me back to eleventh grade high school. I was absorbed into these pages and forgot time, as I shared my pain, loss and loneliness with minds and words greater than mine, ...more
Nancy S. Vastola
Deep thoughts for comfort

I have read this daily and was so glad I had it to turn to. This is a time tested compilation of some of the best commentators of faith and love and wonder. In times of grief this is such a meaningful guide . Martha Hickman used her own insights to give us the gift of her writings....her book will continue to provide comfort and hope for many decades to come.
Sarife Solis
Nov 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book helped me so much after my husband passed away. I learned about it at my bereavement therapies; at the beginning and end of each session the therapist read one; those readings gave me a lot of insights, peace and strength that I decided to buy it. I have read it several times and love it! I try to give it to those around me that are going through grief.
Erica
Dec 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lovely medicine for the grieving heart

I loved the daily nuggets of tenderness and inspiration. They were a gentle and honest reminder that we all suffer loss and that death is a natural part of life that we can navigate with love and grace. It’s simply lovely and easy to read. I’ll keep coming back time and again.
Ann
Aug 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Daily reflections about death and the hope that springs forth for us to move on with our lives. Some religious aspects but thoughts mostly come from historians, authors, poets, philosophers etc. Helped me greatly after my husband died.
Cynthia
Jan 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful! Everyday had meaning and was filled with hope. My feelings were validated and even when I didn't realize what I was feeling. I've gone through this devotional twice and it has definitely helped me navigate this thing called grief.
Ashleigh
Jan 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This was the right read for me after a loved one died. The individual days are helpful because you can pick it the day of and as those km deep grief know, it’s the day by day process that’s most helpful.
« previous 1 3 next »

• It's OK That You're Not OK: Meeting Grief and Loss in a Culture That Doesn't Understand
  • Widow to Widow: Thoughtful, Practical Ideas for Rebuilding Your Life
  • Grief Day By Day: Simple Practices and Daily Guidance for Living with Loss
  • Grieving with Hope: Finding Comfort as You Journey through Loss
  • Finding Meaning: The Sixth Stage of Grief
  • On Grief and Grieving: Finding the Meaning of Grief Through the Five Stages of Loss
  • Radical Compassion: Learning to Love Yourself and Your World with the Practice of RAIN
  • Visions, Trips, and Crowded Rooms: Who and What You See Before You Die
  • Daily Guideposts 2020: A Spirit-Lifting Devotional
  • True Tales and Amazing Legends of the Old West: From True West Magazine
  • Miss Malarkey Leaves No Reader Behind
  • First Day Jitters
  • Moving Through Grief: Proven Techniques for Finding Your Way After Any Loss
  • The Afterlife of Billy Fingers: How My Bad-Boy Brother Proved to Me There's Life After Death
  • The Photographer's Saga
  • If I'd Killed Him When I Met Him... (Elizabeth MacPherson #8)
  • The Hope: A Guide to Sacred Activism
  • The Miracle

News & Interviews

“...how gracious seem the small gifts that may come - a patch of sunlight on a cold floor, an unexpected gesture of friendship, the fragrant steam of hot tea.” 5 likes
“Sometimes when I am feeling down, I am my own worst enemy. Let me be my friend.” 4 likes