Start by marking “Rush, Rock Music, and the Middle Class: Dreaming in Middletown” as Want to Read:
Rush, Rock Music, and the Middle Class: Dreaming in Middletown

Rush, Rock Music, and the Middle Class: Dreaming in Middletown

3.73  ·  Rating details ·  44 Ratings  ·  6 Reviews
Canadian progressive rock band Rush was the voice of the suburban middle class. In this book, Chris McDonald assesses the band's impact on popular music and its legacy for legions of fans. McDonald explores the ways in which Rush's critique of suburban life--and its strategies for escape--reflected middle-class aspirations and anxieties, while its performances manifested t ...more
Published November 1st 2009 by Indiana University Press (first published October 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Rush, Rock Music, and the Middle Class, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rush, Rock Music, and the Middle Class

Geoff Young
Sep 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
Disclaimer: I have been a huge Rush fan for most of my life. I own all their albums (many in multiple formats) and videos, and have seen them live in concert on numerous occasions dating back to the 1980s. Alex Lifeson is the reason I learned to play guitar 30 years ago. Needless to say, my interest in and enjoyment of this book come with significant bias.

Although the book reveals little new information about Rush's music, it eloquently presents the band's career within a larger social context a
Benjamin Kahn
Aug 27, 2012 rated it liked it
It's an academic work, but for all that, I found parts of it very interesting. Not being a Rush fan, or a musician, I skipped over some parts (didn't care about the musical analysis, didn't care about the fan survey). I found the discussion of the lyrics interesting and his comments on critics interesting as well. Some of the book reminded me of my own academic efforts to stretch a thesis to cover my source material (I didn't buy some of the things he attributed to being middle class values as a ...more
Christopher Weinrich
This Academic look at the mostly early career of Rush is for fans only, of which I count myself. My appreciation for their songs and their lyrics grew, but only moderately. I did however learn some new aspects to living a middle-class life. Reading this book did inspire me to listen to many of the albums that I had not gotten out in a very long time. Which is, most decidedly, a good thing.
David
Jul 14, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: rush
This was interesting and had some fun parts. I grew up middle class and I am still middle class. Neil Peart and Rush aren't middle class even though they are humble enough about their wealth. Sadly the book acknowledges why so many of us like Rush - we're mostly middle class blokes and I buy it.
Vladimir Kiperman
Mar 29, 2014
Cody Reed
Dec 26, 2014
Mike
rated it did not like it
Jun 21, 2014
Ashley
Feb 09, 2017
Louis
Apr 23, 2010 rated it liked it
A sociological look at the impact Rush has had on its fans and the hard rock/progressive genres.
Brian Skinner