Start by marking “The Mythic Tarot” as Want to Read:
The Mythic Tarot

The Mythic Tarot

3.97  ·  Rating details ·  348 Ratings  ·  26 Reviews
A complete package in a box that contains everything needed for the beginning tarot card user: a Tarot deck, an illustrated hardcover book explaining how to use the cards, and a silky cloth on which to lay the cards out.
Published October 15th 1986 by Fireside Books (first published October 9th 1986)

To ask other readers questions about The Mythic Tarot, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Mythic Tarot

Kit★
I got this book and the cards back when I was in high school, and my friends and I used to do readings for ourselves all the time. Still have it, actually, it's something I'll probably keep hold of forever. It's been a long time since I did anything with them, but I still love them, especially how this deck is all about Greek mythology, which I've always loved.
Lisa (Harmonybites)
Tarot cards have intrigued me every since I've seen a deck. They're so pretty and mysterious and so different, yet so closely related in look to our familiar playing cards, and so many of the decks are rich in symbolism. I started collecting decks, and even reading them for friends for fun, even though I'm a thorough-going rationalist and don't believe they can be tools of divination. This particular book came with a deck of cards. It's subtitled "a new approach to tarot cards" but really from w ...more
Yannis Theodossis
Dec 28, 2013 rated it liked it
If you feel more connected to greek myths or find the Rider/Waite tarot too scary for your taste (it's no shame to admit it) then you may try this deck. Knowing the actual myths it refers to (namely Oresteia, Jason's travel, Eros and Psyche and Daedalus' escape) will help you a great deal with your spreads, as every card depicts a moment in the myth's procession. Mind though that the meanings of the cards deviate from the original ones. But if you really want to learn the tarot, you should go on ...more
Maggie
Mar 08, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: tarot
Giving it a 4 on faith as I picked up my deck while travelling in Brazil. My version has very thin cardstock with solid black backs. Thought I was getting something different, then find out it's carried in the U.S., available in English. Oh well, so much for that. If you know your Greek mythology, images are simple, clear and easy to interpret. I woudn't have it as my only deck, but if you have a few and enjoy Greek mythology, it's fine.
Lynn Wilson
Mar 21, 2009 rated it it was amazing
This book is an excellent read for anyone interested in what Joseph Campbell referred to as the Hero's Journey. It's the companion book to a tarot deck, and it's very psychologically sound, as is everything written by Liz Greene, a jungian analyst and astrologer. This book can be enjoyable read without any prior knowledge of astrology or myth.
Day Sibley
Nov 14, 2013 rated it it was ok
The good thing about this book is that it give you the background information on the particular tarot card, but it doesn't really tell you what it means if YOU get the card. You know, if you wanted to read your own tarot cards about yourself but you didn't really know what they mean...So yea.

Rated: 2.5
Manda
Jan 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
These belonged to my mother. I had them for years before i ever used them. Now they are one of my priceless possessions. I have actually never read any of the instructional pages in the book. But the language and use of myth in each of the following pages for the cards is beautiful and powerful.
Andrea Howarth-Salazar
Dec 29, 2009 rated it really liked it
The way that mythology is interwoven with the traditional meaning of the tarot cards gives the reader more depth of understanding. This was the first tarot book I ever read and it certainly trained me well.
jacky
Jun 09, 2007 rated it really liked it
Definitely had some fun with this book and the tarot cards that came with it. I really liked how these cards were myth based. That element made the cards easier to understand and more interesting to look at and read about.
Pixelina
May 19, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: tarot, z2012-read
New deck of the week The Mythic Tarot. The books looks great too. I need a refreshment in my mythology.
Lisa
acceptable, binding coming apart, book only
Kate Zirkle
Mar 09, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: metaphysical
Kept me and my friends entertained for AWHILE. Love it.
Yvonne Day
Mar 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Love this deck! It was my very first deck,
etherealfire
Jan 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This was my starter tarot kit (different packaging but came with the cards and the book. A great little starter kit!
Jovy
Jul 02, 2013 rated it liked it
This is actually my second tarot book...I like my first tarot book, this book to me is more for the serious tarot card readers. I'm not saying that its not informative because IT IS!!!
Tempest
Apr 18, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really like this books explanation of the cards. It was the best one I found to learn tarot from. I found it useful and enjoyable to read.
Kutjupa Karyn
Feb 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Have had these cards and the book for over 10 years and turn to them whenever I'm deeply troubled or perplexed. The answers have been at times astonishing.
Teleri
Feb 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I once owned this deck, based on Greek Mythology. \
Teleri
Feb 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: A student of Tarot with an interest in Classic Greek deities & mytholog
Shelves: tarot
REad my longer review where this set is listed above.
Deb White
Mar 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: druidry
I enjoyed this book very much. Very creative and helpful.
Bigcaat
Feb 24, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nice images, flimsey cardstock. Great if you're into Greek Mythology.
Nicola
Jun 06, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Simply my favourite tarot deck. But sadly the imagery has been changed this year. So will this become a collectors item?
Thabata
Dec 05, 2016
Bill Tarot
Aug 10, 2011
Brad Thompson
Sep 26, 2009
'becca
rated it did not like it
Jan 21, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • The Druid Craft Tarot
  • Motherpeace: A Way to the Goddess Through Myth, Art, and Tarot
  • Mary K. Greer's 21 Ways to Read a Tarot Card
  • The Complete Guide to the Tarot: Determine Your Destiny! Predict Your Own Future!
  • The Steampunk Tarot
  • The Tarot: History, Symbolism, and Divination
  • The Wildwood Tarot: Wherein Wisdom Resides
  • Seventy-Eight Degrees of Wisdom : A Book of Tarot
  • Tarot Plain and Simple
  • Learning the Tarot: A Tarot Book for Beginners
  • The Tarot: A Key to the Wisdom of the Ages
  • Tarot for Writers
  • Power Tarot: More Than 100 Spreads That Give Specific Answers to Your Most Important Question
  • Shadowscapes Tarot