Start by marking “Little Town in the Ozarks (Little House: The Rose Years, #5)” as Want to Read:
Little Town in the Ozarks (Little House: The Rose Years, #5)

Little Town in the Ozarks

(Little House: The Rose Years #5)

The fifth book in the Rose Years series, the story of the spirited daughter of the author of the beloved Little House series.

Little Town In The Ozarks continues the story of Rose, Laura Ingalls Wilder’s daughter, as hard times on the farm force Rose and her family to move to the town of Mansfield. Life in town is so different from living on Rocky Ridge Farm that Rose wonders if she wi/>Little
Published August 30th 1996 by HarperCollins

To ask other readers questions about Little Town in the Ozarks, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Little Town in the Ozarks

Victoria Goodbrand
4.5 stars. Got a lil slow in the middle but picked up near the end.

First book of my readathon DONE! ✅
The other John
In this fifth volume of the set, The Rocky Ridge series seems to take a turn. Storywise, Rose Wilder and her family are forced by a poor harvest and pressing bills to move from their farm to a house in the town of Mansfield, Missouri. It's an adjustment for the family as they experience the joys and burdens of "city" life. But the book also has a healthy dose of political commentary as the Wilders and their neighbors react to and comment on the Spanish-American war. It's a marked change from the orig ...more
A.K. Frailey
Apr 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
The kids and I really loved this book. It felt true to life yet still carried the magic of the Laura Ingalls-Wilder Little House series. There was a lot of new material that deftly covered the national changes from the late 1800's into the early 1900's. Characters with real personalities, clear settings, well developed plot lines, overall, an excellent read. I would recommend this book to young and old alike.
Story_Girl
Sep 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
This fantastic book covers a very important period in Rose Wilder's life. A period of change that may have affected the person Rose would grow up to be. Because in this book Rose Wilder officially becomes a town girl.

The Wilder's have had to move off their farm after a devastating loss to their orchard and crops, in order to earn enough money to meet all their repayments. So Abe and his young family take over their little home and take on the main work of running the farm so that together to fa
Michelle
Things are starting to get quite repetitive now we’re onto the fifth book of the series and Rose is still only twelve (and a half.)

This book did bring with it some sad news however, with the author, Roger Lea MacBride, having died in March 1995. From the sounds of the “author’s” note (his daughter), there were four unfinished manuscripts, with this being one of them.

I can’t really see any difference between what Roger wrote and what a ghostwriter/his daughter added in, to polish up the manuscr
Christina
After the Wilder’s farm was damaged by a tornado in On the Other Side of the Hill, the Wilders made the decision to move to the town of Mansfield with Rose’s father working as a dry goods hauler and her mother accepting boarders into their home. This decision marks a big change in the direction of the series because, in the last four books of the series, Rose never returns to living at Rocky Ridge Farm full-time.

In this book, though, Rose is still mourning some of the freedoms she ha
Jaime K
Apr 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is the first of the last four Rose books not fully written by MacBride but by his daughter after his death.

This covers 1898-1899, while the Wilders live in town. Rose turns 12 and I have to constantly remind myself that she is that young. Her behavior changes a lot (yay puberty) and she realizes she's in love with Paul - making her seem his age and not hers.

She begins by not liking the noise in town and wanting to be like Blanche. She basically wants to shun people l
Erika RS
May 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Life in town is different than life out on the farm, and it takes Rose time to adapt to that. She eventually does, and she starts to grow up, gaining more interest in the broader world and life beyond what she's currently living. I will admit that in this book, especially in the commentary on the Spanish American war, you see a lot more of Rose Wilder Lane and her protege Roger Lea MacBride's politics coming through, but it's a small enough plot point to not be annoying.
Zoë Rogers
Rose is 12 now. She's in the 5th reader.
Her family lives in town and there are loud noises she's never heard. The biggest noise is the train. People in town say, "You'll get used to it in time."
There are many challenges and many happy moments she faces.
Katina stewart
Jun 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Rose is a teen and it's interesting to see how different things were a bit over a hundred years ago and how many things are the same.
Bogormen
Jul 29, 2019 rated it it was ok
Still mainly reading them for the sake of Almanzo and Laura. Difficult to like Rose and the author after reading about them in Prairie Fires by Caroline Fraser.
IrishFan
Jun 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Another quick read in this series. This one takes place when the Wilders have to move back into town and take work to help survive. Rose is growing older and has adventures in town.
Stephanie
Jan 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
One of our family's favorites.
A classic.
A great choice for every child's bookshelf.
Sherry Sidwell
Dec 29, 2018 rated it it was ok
This is a review that by necessity must be full of caveats. If you're just looking for a continuation of the Little House books for a budding reader, they're very much in the same vein in the day to day of not quite subsistence farming and not bad at all. But if you've read Caroline Fraser's excellent Prairie Fires about the lives and mythmaking of both Laura Ingalls Wilder and daughter Rose Wilder Lane, you quickly realize this series like the original is a lot of romanticized and highly fictionalized no ...more
Mary-Jane
Aug 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Rose and her parents adjust to living in town, in the house purchased for them by Almanzo's parents, after a drought and fire at the farm necessitate supplementing their incomes with jobs in town. Laura doesn't like town until she meets some ladies from the Order of the Eastern Star and is asked to join. (Almanzo is a mason, and the OES is for wives of masons). Rose doesn't feel as though she belongs in town, but then has a pleasant visit with Mrs. Rippee and is invited to borrow books from her ...more
Paul Lunger
Nov 22, 2011 rated it really liked it
Book 5 in Roger Lea MacBride's "The Rose Years" starts off with a disclaimer that the author passed away in 1995 & that the series will continue off of 4 manuscripts that were given to him by Rose before her death. While incomplete the publishers at Harper Collins had enough story to finish this series in a total of 8 books. For "Little Town in the Ozarks" we find the Wilder family adjusting to life in town after having to move out of the farm on Rocky Ridge due to a series of disasters in 1 ...more
Ashley Perham
May 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
I read this quite a few months ago, but I wrote chapter summaries so I would remember it when I finally got to the Rose books! I remember liking quite a few things!

A lot of parts a verrry well-written. For example, when Laura debates for the Indians! YESSSS She's sooooooo good at debate! And then Rose's emotional breakdown is actually pretty realistic and written so splendidly that the reader feels sooo bad for Rose and just like her at the same time!

I love how Nate learns to love b
Emily
Jun 21, 2012 rated it really liked it
Rose is starting to grow up. She doesn't complain as much in the end of the book as she did in the beginning. She learns that she's going to have to do things that she doesn't want to. The Wilders moved into town to raise enough money to move back to the farm when the orchard starts to bear fruit. At first Rose complains a lot about how much she hates being in town. After awhile she realizes that it's not so bad. The family still goes out to help work at the farm and Rose still gets to see Swine ...more
Kirsten
May 06, 2010 rated it really liked it
Rose is growing up..... My favorite part of this is when there is a town debate (for entertainment, like the spelling bee in Little Town on the Prairie), and Laura ends up giving an impassioned speech about the troubles of the American Indian. I know there are some who criticize the way the original series dealt with Native issues, but this makes up for it, in my opinion. At the very least, it represents an awareness that prevailing ideas in society were changing by the turn of the century about ...more
Kacey Kendrick Wagner
Feb 06, 2011 rated it really liked it
In the 5th "Rose" book, the Wilder's are adjusting to living in town, away from Rocky Ridge Farm. Rose is growing up...and begins to have feelings for Paul Cooley. One of my favorite parts, though, is Laura's participation in the debate. Plus, we learn Swiney Baird's real name! Another entertaining book in the series. On to the next one!
Kristen Luppino
Jan 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is my favorite of the Rose Years yet! It covers a few years, and Rose is growing up. It also addresses some of the challenges unaddressed in the original series, which I also enjoyed. I'm excited for the next one, but I have to wait for it to come in the mail...
Molly
Mar 25, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: novels, read-eons-ago
I should probably stop adding books I read as a child just because they happen to pop up on a rating screen. I have basically no thoughts about this except that these books weren't anything like as good as Laura Ingalls Wilder's.
Sadie
Jul 17, 2009 rated it liked it
I was disappointed to find out that Rose's story is quite fictionalized and that some of the characters that I have grown to love didn't really exist. I will continue reading this series but my enjoyment of it has been diminished some.
Carolyn
Nov 23, 2008 rated it liked it
I was glad to see that Rose adjusted to living in town by the end of this book. I was sorry to see, though, that she seemed to change and didn't enjoy the country as much, nor the simple things. I guess she didn't miss the farmwork that went along with it.
Gl
Jan 21, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: laura ingalls fans
I am a huge fan of the Laura Ingalls stories!!! The tried and true Laura stories are by far my favorites, but when I came across stories of her great-grandmother all the way down to her daughter, I was thrilled. Though I have to admit, the "Rose Years" are my least favorite.
Steph
Apr 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Great story! Found out a lot of information about the family, and all of their hardships. Good for people of all ages!
Kasey
Mar 25, 2010 rated it liked it
This series just keeps getting better and better! Rose is growing up and much more interesting things are happening to her.
Shari
Jul 29, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: juvenile, pre-2004
Book 5
Audrey
Aug 19, 2010 rated it really liked it
A lot of the stories from this and New Dawn on Rocky Ridge (book 6) were taken from Rose Wilder Lane's book Old Home Town.
Seaweed Brain  I Rock
Little Town in the Ozarks does sound a bit boring, but was actually AWESOME.

• A Little House of Their Own (Little House: The Caroline Years, #7)
  • On Tide Mill Lane (Little House: The Charlotte Years, #2)
  • On Top of Concord Hill (Little House: The Caroline Years, #4)
  • Old Town in the Green Groves: Laura Ingalls Wilder's Lost Little House Years
  • On the Way Home: The Diary of a Trip from South Dakota to Mansfield, Missouri, in 1894  (Little House #10)
  • A Little House Sampler: A Collection of Early Stories and Reminiscenses
  • Laura: The Life of Laura Ingalls Wilder
  • Young Pioneers
  • The Little House Cookbook: Frontier Foods from Laura Ingalls Wilder's Classic Stories
MacBride called himself "the adopted grandson" of writer and political theorist Rose Wilder Lane, the daughter of writer Laura Ingalls Wilder, and as such laid claim to the substantial Ingalls-Wilder's literary estate, including the "Little House on the Prairie" franchise. He is the author of record of three additional "Little House" books, and began the "Rocky Ridge Years" series, describing the ...more

Little House: The Rose Years (8 books)
  • Little House on Rocky Ridge (Little House: The Rocky Ridge Years, #1)
  • Little Farm in the Ozarks (Little House: The Rocky Ridge Years, #2)
  • In the Land of the Big Red Apple (Little House: The Rocky Ridge Years, #3)
  • On the Other Side of the Hill (Little House: The Rocky Ridge Years, #4)
  • New Dawn on Rocky Ridge (Little House: The Rocky Ridge Years, #6)
  • On the Banks of the Bayou (Little House: The Rose Years, #7)
  • Bachelor Girl (Little House: The Rose Years, #8)