Start by marking “Czas pogardy (Saga o Wiedźminie, #2)” as Want to Read:
Czas pogardy (Saga o Wiedźminie, #2)

Czas pogardy

(The Witcher #2)

4.26  ·  Rating details ·  45,886 ratings  ·  1,640 reviews
Czas pogardy - tom drugi sagi o wiedźminie. Nastał czas pogardy, czas miecza i topora, czas wilczej zamieci. Wśród wojennej zawieruchy znaleźli się Geralt, Yennefer i Ciri, ale każde z nich gdzie indziej. Ciri czuje się porzucona, zapomniana, musi sama borykać się z trudami wędrówki...
Published 1995 by superNOWA

To ask other readers questions about Czas pogardy, please sign up.
Sean McGrath You should start with The Last Wish, which introduces the character. The 'short story' description is misleading, as it consists of a frame-story…moreYou should start with The Last Wish, which introduces the character. The 'short story' description is misleading, as it consists of a frame-story interspersed with flashbacks to formative past events. Sword of Destiny is out as an ebook and only comes out in paperback in December, unfortunately (in the US). If you just wanted to read the main saga, you would start with Blood of Elves, but I really recommend starting with The Last Wish.(less)

·  45,886 ratings  ·  1,640 reviews

Start your review of Czas pogardy (Saga o Wiedźminie, #2)
✘✘ Sarah ✘✘ (former Nefarious Breeder of Murderous Crustaceans)
Actual rating: 1.5 stars. I may or may not be a teensy little bit pissed off right now. Perhaps.

The ranting is strong in this one. Consider your little selves warned.
Yes, I know, I read this book wrong.
You're welcome.

I wasn't going to write this review today but there's a slight chance my exoskeleton is going to implode if I don't get this out of my system now, so here goes.

This series started out with one of my mostest favoritest awesomest amazingest Fantasy book ever, aka The Last Wish. But
Evgeny
Oct 12, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
The person everybody was searching for in the previous book was still at large with Geralt being one of the two people who could guess the whereabouts.
Dead or Alive
This means everybody was still conducting the search, but this time it became clear that the aim was to make sure the person in question is really dead just like the rumors started by Geralt stated. As we all know sometimes little people can get in the way of movers and the shakers of the world and make them very much inconvenienced by just being
James Lafayette Tivendale
Nov 18, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
"I mistook stars reflected in a pond at night for those in the sky."

The narrative commences at what seems like a time of contempt indeed. The Kings aren't conversing with the Mages as they have previously, the Nilfgaardian army is still planning for war, and the Scoia'tael (Squirrels) are attacking humans in forests and villages. Many parties are all still looking for the elusive Lion Cub, the child of Destiny, Cirilla.

After an interesting and quite tragic point of view chapter following a
Sr3yas
Oct 31, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
If A Game of Thrones books were penned by Andrzej Sapkowski, he would've written a whole installment on Red Wedding.
Joey Woolfardis
I am odds with this series. The Last Wish is a million miles away from what these have become, which is just generic fantasy that is badly written (or translated). In The Last Wish we have good battles with monsters, re-tellings of our own fairytales and interesting characters. In this series, which is made up of what are supposed to be full-length books, we have absolutely none of that and it's very disappointing.

The dialogue is the worst thing of all. There is an abysmal attempt at humour, and
Natasha Polis
May 09, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ummmm. These books are maybe not worth your time. I'm reading them to get ready for the show coming to Netflix. It's giving me great insight into the character, but since I've never played the game, I feel a piece is missing.

This one was more enjoyable than the first. I wish they weren't so chopping and spaced out as I feel the first three should have been condensed into one long story. I will keep chugging along but my DNF the next book.
Michelle
May 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: witcherverse
This is my favorite book in the series so far. Ciri and Geralt really go through some difficult changes which makes this novel all the more interesting. So whereas “Blood of Elves” sets up the idea of Ciri being at the center of courtly intrigue and politics, with Geralt and Yennefer trying to protect her -- “Time of Contempt” goes deep into that same intrigue and politics with an absolute cluster of a battle in the middle of the story. Though the focus is split halfway between Ciri and Geralt, ...more
Mogsy (MMOGC)
4 of 5 stars at The BiblioSanctum http://bibliosanctum.com/2015/08/09/a...

For the first time ever, the English translations of the novels in Andrzej Sapkowski’s The Witcher Saga series are being made into audiobooks, and I have been enjoying them immensely. Thus far, four Witcher books have been published in this format, including the short story collection The Last Wish. Today I’ll be reviewing The Time of Contempt, the second full-length novel in the sequence.

The story beings where Blood of
Mili
Aug 25, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own-the-book
Finally, sorry but this was nottttttttt my type of plot. I mean...Ciri her storyline is great but the rest ( and it was mostly the rest ) was so boring. Soooo political, too many names and I just dont know who is screwing who. So sadly I got detached from the plot.

Putting this series on a break till I get back from vacation. I still feel a connection with the main plot, I looove the witcher concept and all the wizards. But I need less politics...
Celise
May 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I feel like doing a super informal review for this one, just because this writer makes me feel so many feelings and The Witcher is on the fast-track to becoming my favourite series so quickly that I don't know how to put my thoughts into presentable order. So here's a bunch of words for you, and a few run-on sentences most likely. It's not gushy, I promise, just ineloquent. My review of The Blood of Elves is probably a better recommendation of the series.

Ciri, Geralt, and Yennefer are some of my
Jen/The Tolkien Gal/ジェニファー
Just when I thought the series couldn't get any better. The banter between Ciri and Yennefer warms my heart and their mother-daughter type relationship is amazing. But the action and extra plot contrivances that take place on the side are great. I like The Rats too - they remind me of Peter Pan's bunch of kids.
Alex
Aug 03, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Apparently these books are rather big in Poland. I know this because a Polish woman told me so. Apparently there are some rather successful videogames that have been based on these books. I know this because I've played one of them. It was good.

Clearly these books have never been that big in the West, they haven't even all been translated yet and they were written in the early 90s, and it makes you doubt what's going on in the fantasy book publishing world. It makes you wonder if there's a
Marianna Neal
Aug 26, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 out of 5 stars

So, here's the issue I'm having: I need more Geralt.
Don't get me wrong, I love reading about Ciri, and Yennefer, and the random people they encounter, and the politics... But I read these books for Geralt, and when he shows up the whole thing is just on a whole different level. Basically, what I'm saying is that I'm still really enjoying the series, but I'm really hoping we get more of the, you know, main character? That would be nice.
Ana Tijanić
Jan 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Taking into account only the books of this saga that I have read so far,I can say that this is one of the rare (few) series where the sequels are better than the first book.
I can't wait to read the next novel in the series and I hope that I won't be disappointed at the end.
Kenchiin
Feb 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is explosive and I can't wait to read the next one!
Mizuki
Mar 04, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
First thoughts after finished reading:I don't want to judge too quickly, so I'll only rate this book after I finish reading its prequel (which is waiting for me in the library).

Still, I need to rant about a certain character: Ciri. I know, she is only a 14 years old girl in this book and teenagers aren't supposed to be mature and considerate and I know her parents and grandmother were killed when she was just a kid and she still has nightmares over the whole traumatic experiences and all, BUT
Amanda
Nov 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019-reads
The Time of Contempt by Andrzej Sapkowski is the second book in The Witcher Series. Rumor has it that the show will only consist of The Last Wish, Sword of Destiny, and Blood of Elves. So now I am ahead of the game!

For those just tuning in…Geralt is a witcher. He is made to take down the most ferocious of monsters. Now his destiny lies with Ciri, a young girl whose future will determine the fate of the world. He must protect her at all costs. However, war has been declared everywhere. There are
Andrea
I think this is were I say goodbye to this series. There wasn't enough witcher-ing for me, too much "romance", and oh all the terrible women. I've had it with the bitching and the backstabbing, and the obsessing over looks. They just all feel very clichéd and interchangeable to me *shrugs*
Jersy
This was amazing.
After almost nothing really happened in Blood of Elves, there is a lot happening in this one. Yennefer and Geralt reunite, Ciri is still in danger but isn't that aware in the beginning, there are new great characters and all of this is told in wonderful little occurrences that made me happy, even though near the ending the book got really intense.
I always love Sapkowski's style of writing characters and dialogs and how he has a partly poetic suffisticated writing style but
Corinna
Aug 25, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I'm so bummed. This series really isn't capturing my imagination and soul like I anticipated it would. I think I expected more monsters. More Geralt. More of a linear story. This is all world-domination and switching POVs and political conniving.

I'm going to do it, guys. I'm going to finish this series! The awesome game franchise is owed that much on my behalf. But I'm just super bummed on this one. Dare I say, I may actually...enjoy the games more? *le gasp!*

Also, WHAT THE HECK WITH THIS
Mari

I'm kind of let down by this book and that is a shame because I feel like I've been talking so much about these characters and this premise, all for it to lead to this disappointing spot.

A list of complaints:

- The first two books were great for what they presented: Geralt, the morally ambiguous, fighting all kinds of monsters and also coming across all kinds of monstrous people. This is straying very, very far away from that, to the point where there is nary a monster in sight.

- Not
Nerdsfeather
Oct 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sometime in the 1990s, fantasy's center of gravity shifted. Simple heroism (and anti-heroism) were out, along with magical trinkets, gallant knights, noble savages, evil gods, prophesied chosen ones, elves, dwarves, dragons and most other mainstays of both the neo-Tolkeinic and sword & sorcery questing traditions. Moral ambiguity, violence, greed, vice, corruption and, above all, politics reigned in their stead.

The gritty revolution was, and remains, a reaction to all the ridiculous tropes
Delia
Jul 23, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
**** 4.5/5 ****

Bloody. Beautiful. Brutal. A new favourite.
John McDermott
Another enjoyable installment in the Witcher series. Very much looking forward to seeing the Netflix series when it comes out. 3.5 stars.
Mark Halse
I wasn't crazy about this installment. The cleverness and charm of the short stories is all but dead in this second novel.

The first half of the book was awesome. Action packed with Geralt leading the story. Then Geralt is severely injured and exiles himself to Brokilon.

From here we receive another muddled up middle where Dandelion t finds Geralt and tells him what's going on in the outside world. We experience Dandelion's story through quickly changing POVs instead of having a dialogue
Jack
Feb 27, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The political intrigue turns up a notch in this second full-length Witcher novel. Geralt is only in a small portion of the book, but the other characters—particular Ciri—are strong enough to carry the tale. It is an entertaining and fast moving book. Sapkowski is highly skilled at writing dialogue and crafting and refining his characters with their words.

The only bump in the road was an interminable meeting of a group of sorcerers and sorceresses, which was essentially a few dozen pages of loud
Michael Sorbello
Geralt has fought monsters all his life, but not even that can prepare him for the monstrous cruelty of humanity and full-scale war. After all, the evil of men is often more horrifying than any monster could hope to be. The kings and their armies are full of paranoia and bloodlust, the non-humans are thirsty for vengeance against humans after enduring decades of repression by their hands, sorcerers are squabbling amongst each other, enemies and danger are everywhere. No one can be trusted and ...more
Franzi
3.5 Stars

I liked the second half of this way more than the beginning, which dragged a little in my opinion. The character development is still amazing though and I actually really like the politics.
Leo Reich
Marquise
Mmm... I'm unhappy with certain turns of events in this volume that are highly problematic, and I'm starting to notice a sharper decline in storytelling and more scattering of plotlines, character arcs, and a leaking structure that are making me more convinced that this series would've worked better as short stories or novellas. The quality remains high in certain parts and the vignettes style of telling the story helps with this, but it also makes other plots look worse and superfluous.

Still,

• Wiedźmin. Ostatnie życzenie (Wiedźmin #5)
  • The Witcher, Vol. 4: Of Flesh and Flame
  • The Witcher, Vol. 1: House of Glass
  • The World of the Witcher
  • Starsight (Skyward, #2)
  • The Witcher, Vol. 2: Fox Children
  • A Little Hatred (The Age of Madness, #1)
  • Metro 2033 (Metro, #1)
  • The Witcher, Vol. 3: Curse of Crows
  • Before They Are Hanged (The First Law, #2)
  • Last Argument of Kings (The First Law, #3)
  • The Return of the King (Lord of the Rings Trilogy #3)
  • The Witcher Library Edition Volume 1
  • The Burning White (Lightbringer, #5)
  • Zakon Drzewa Pomarańczy Część 1
  • The Blade Itself (The First Law, #1)
  • The Well of Ascension (Mistborn, #2)
  • Pan Lodowego Ogrodu. Tom 1 (Pan Lodowego Ogrodu, #1)
Andrzej Sapkowski, born June 21, 1948 in Łódź, is a Polish fantasy writer. Sapkowski studied economics, and before turning to writing, he had worked as a senior sales representative for a foreign trade company. His first short story, The Witcher (Wiedźmin), was published in Fantastyka, Poland's leading fantasy literary magazine, in 1986 and was enormously successful both with readers and critics. ...more

The Witcher (5 books)
  • Blood of Elves (Witcher, #1)
  • Chrzest ognia (Saga o Wiedźminie, #3)
  • Wieża Jaskółki (Saga o Wiedźminie, #4)
  • Pani Jeziora (Saga o Wiedźminie, #5)
“Why didn't you become a sorcerer, Geralt? Weren't you ever attracted by the Art? Be honest.'
'I will. I was.'
'Why, then, didn't you follow the voice of that attraction?'
'I decided it would be wiser to follow the voice of good sense.'
'Meaning?'
'Years of practice in the witcher's trade have taught me not to bite off more than I can chew. Do you know, Vilgefortz, I once knew a dwarf, who, as a child, dreamed of being an elf. What do you think; would he have become one had he followed the voice of attraction?”
51 likes
“Hmm…’ Ciri bit her lower lip, then leaned over and put her eye closer to the hole. ‘Madam Yennefer is standing by a willow… She’s plucking leaves and playing with her star. She isn’t saying anything and isn’t even looking at Geralt… And Geralt’s standing beside her. He’s looking down and he’s saying something. No, he isn’t. Oh, he’s pulling a face… What a strange expression…’ ‘Childishly simple,’ said Dandelion, finding an apple in the grass, wiping it on his trousers and examining it critically. ‘He’s asking her to forgive him for his various foolish words and deeds. He’s apologising to her for his impatience, for his lack of faith and hope, for his obstinacy, doggedness. For his sulking and posing; which are unworthy of a man. He’s apologising to her for things he didn’t understand and for things he hadn’t wanted to understand—’ ‘That’s the falsest lie!’ said Ciri, straightening up and tossing the fringe away from her forehead with a sudden movement. ‘You’re making it all up!’ ‘He’s apologising for things he’s only now understood,’ said Dandelion, staring at the sky, and he began to speak with the rhythm of a balladeer. ‘For what he’d like to understand, but is afraid he won’t have time for… And for what he will never understand. He’s apologising and asking for forgiveness… Hmm, hmm… Meaning, conscience, destiny? Everything’s so bloody banal…’ ‘That’s not true!’ Ciri stamped. ‘Geralt isn’t saying anything like that! He’s not even speaking. I saw for myself. He’s standing with her and saying nothing…’ ‘That’s the role of poetry, Ciri. To say what others cannot utter.’ ‘It’s a stupid role. And you’re making everything up!’ ‘That is also the role of poetry. Hey, I hear some raised voices coming from the pond. Have a quick look, and see what’s happening there.’ ‘Geralt,’ said Ciri, putting her eye once more to the hole in the wall, ‘is standing with his head bowed. And Yennefer’s yelling at him. She’s screaming and waving her arms. Oh dear… What can it mean?’ ‘It’s childishly simple.’ Dandelion stared at the clouds scudding across the sky. ‘Now she’s saying sorry to him.” 49 likes