Start by marking “The Rhythm of Life: Living Every Day with Passion and Purpose” as Want to Read:
The Rhythm of Life: Living Every Day with Passion and Purpose

The Rhythm of Life: Living Every Day with Passion and Purpose

Do you ever feel that if you weren't so busy you would be happier, healthier, more effective, more fulfilled...and maybe even a better person?
Once every twenty-five years or so, a book comes along that perfectly identifies our common search and struggle for happiness, and teaches us how to find lasting fulfillment in a changing world. This is that book. Not since M.
Published October 4th 2005 by Touchstone (first published November 10th 1999)

To ask other readers questions about The Rhythm of Life, please sign up.
Ioseb Edisherashvili Yeah, it has some nice positive staff, I would suggest reading subtle art of not giving a F@ck for more honesty.

Start your review of The Rhythm of Life: Living Every Day with Passion and Purpose
Roxanne
From the title it sounds as though this book is going to be full of nothing but self-help feel-good bullshit, and it was, but a lot of it was actually decent.

I'm going to start with all the things I hated first, to get it out of the way. In the first third of the book, Kelly hardly mentions God at all, and when he does it's very non-denominational, but by the time we're halfway through the book it's like he's forgotten to be PC and we're hearing Bible stories and casual mentions about the power
Nick Mayo
Apr 20, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: development
This book as absolutely AMAZING!! This book hits your life on so many levels, there is no doubt in my mind that after reading this book you will be not just one, but multiple steps closer to your best version of yourself. As a Sales Manager, my offices sales literally tripled while reading this book. I gave up simple things like fast food and pop because of this book in a quest to bring myself closer to a greater version of myself. I recommend this book to everyone, I have multiple copies to ...more
katy
Jul 23, 2013 rated it liked it
Author Matthew Kelly discovered at a very young age the varying degrees it takes for people to reach some sort of level of success through occupation or public service, and began connecting the dots on how it connects to spirituality, emotions, body, mind, etc.

As a frequent reader of personal growth books (saw a sign of personal growth instead of self help at a bookstore and have quite an attachment to using the former instead), I think this is a fairly average book.

While I wouldn't say that
Jonathan
Oct 09, 2007 rated it really liked it
rhythm of life book highlights:

The Rhythm of Life presumes the following: Everything is a choice. "Our
choices echo through our lives and into eternity." We choose our
responses to life circumstances. Kelly, an Aussie, writing this book
before the age of thirty, says the ultimate meaning and purpose of
life is to become the best version of yourself. He lays out a Point A
to Point B spectrum. Point A represents your 'present self' and the
ultimate purpose of life is to be on the journey to Point B (the
Polina
Jun 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kindle
This is the only book that compelled me to try to buy 10 copies so I can give them away to others to read. I think it is one of the most succinct manuals for happy loving I have ever read and I have been studying happiness for years now. Everything that intuitively seems right to me about life and everything that is wrong with the current world and predominant thinking the author very eloquently spells out. I must have highlighted every second sentence. I will without a doubt be re reading this ...more
Carla
Jul 03, 2010 rated it it was amazing
wow, what a great inspirational book. i found so much of what was said to be true and yet the need to be reminded is strong. the idea that without a plan or goal, we will feel frustrated and exhausted and out of control makes sense. i realize we can make the best of plans and something change but it makes sense to have an idea of what you want from life and to set goals and try to work to achieve them daily will point you toward the path of the best version of yourself. i like the thought that ...more
Danielle Rohr
Mar 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: denali-visions
I was cleaning out a low sitting cabinet in my kitchen when I found a package that looked like it had been there for awhile. I opened the dusty package to find this book inside. Upon reading the first four pages, I couldn't help but notice how much this book seemed to be directly speaking to me, as I can apply the thoughts and encouragment to many choices and circumstances I'm experiencing in my life right now. This book and I seemed to have found one another at the right time, and I have to ...more
Sorento62
This is the story of a motivational speaker from Australia who ran himself too hard and then realized he needed to take care of his legitimate needs as well as pursue his main goals in life -- and he gives advice from what he has found to be true/useful in living a satisfying life. Some nuggets of wisdom, but overall somewhat tedious and clumsy.

One's legitimate needs are physical, emotional, intellectual, and spiritual. Get enough sleep, pray or meditate regularly (the classroom of silence),
The_Reader
Jun 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is again one of the best books that I've read recently. I had received recommendation of this book from Hal Elrond, in his book The miracle morning. While reading this book, not even once I felt that it's boring or lengthy. The author kept me engaged in this book by telling stories and parables along with life's lessons. Like him, I'm also a fan of these short stories and parables which teach important lessons of life.
He has also included in this book, the quotes of great men and women the
Linda Lindquist-Bishop
Matthew Kelly asks us 'What do you want from life?' - And then he guides us not only on a path to explore and reflect on this question - but equips us to navigate life's challenges and opportunities. Simon Sinek challenges us to the 'Why?' of what we do and who we are. Steven Pressfield defines the inner warrior in us and helps us identify and battle 'Resistance', Brene Brown demands we 'Rise Strong' and Matthew Kelly guides us on the journey to discover the truth of who we are so we can make ...more
Kat
Aug 04, 2016 rated it liked it
I saw a poignant passage from this book posted on Tumblr recently and cross checked it with Google Books to learn that it was from this book. The first 150 pages had me fully engaged - I was busily highlighting statements and bits of wisdom throughout parts 1-4. Even though this is a self help book, if you come upon it with the right mindset and at a time that you have a need for a book like this, you'll learn something. I'm an atheist, so the second half of the book being so heavily christian ...more
Kalley C
Feb 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book couldn't have come at a better time. I've heard so many good things about this author, but this is the first book that I bought from him. I love how it discusses that where we are at now are because of all the choices that we have made in the past.

I find myself to be a quiet person whom usually think that my opinions doesn't matter much, but after reading this book, I have a choice to make, either continue to live in an inner shell, or be the person who I was meant to be.

Matthew Kelly
hajar
Dec 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This was such a beautiful read (I actually heard it on audible). Having the author who wrote the book read it made the experience more meaningful in a way. I read (heard) it at a time when I needed it too, I've learned so much from it.

There are parts that make reference to Christianity/Biblical stories as a Muslim I value and respect that especially since it relates in many ways to Islamic beliefs.

I highly recommend giving this book a read .
Jean
Aug 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Having read three of Matthew Kelly's books, it is difficult to pick a favorite. He inspires and his writing flows. This is not easy to accomplish when the topic is our life. Our daily relationships shape much of our experience, yet many people move through life without making the effort to understand and grow with those around them. What a world this would be if most people did!
Trey Mustian
Sep 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is a really good inspirational and motivational book. It looks at finding what you want in life, finding the best version of yourself and living the life you were born to live . A lot of really useful and thought- provoking stuff. A lot of common sense stuff that you inherently know but this book really does a great job of crystallizing it.
Jessica
Jun 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Matthew Kelly is the Catholic Tony Robbins. This is the most inspirational book I have ever read. I feel like it was written for me, and I should just read it over and over again. The secret to happiness lies within these pages. Everything he says just makes sense. I truly hope this book will redirect the rest of my life. So yes, I guess you could say I liked it!
Bev
Aug 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
Good book, makes sense, but a lot of it is geared towards the spiritual. Author believes that is the only way to become the best version of yourself. That everything is based on whether or not you have a belief in something bigger than you. I suppose I agree.
Hilda
Aug 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A wonderful book from a wonderful author! I have read 3 or 5 of his books since discovering this author and this one has been my favorite. I will keep this as a resource book for future reads and assistance in living every day with Passion and Purpose!
Brian
Sep 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A compilation of many of the ideas in the personal development movement. Less sterile and business like than some, almost conversation like and easy to absorb. I took down plenty of notes and quotes and will read again.
Jasmine
Feb 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Realistically optimistic view of life and all that each day offers us. The role of religion in the book took away from my enjoyment of some parts of the book as I found these less applicable to my life but otherwise an inspirational and empowering read.
Jason Galloway
Mar 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is one of the better books I have read. I enjoyed the message as it rang clear to me...how can I become a better version of myself. The idea to set a time daily to read and contemplate is another idea that I am trying to implement.
Cindy
Nov 12, 2012 rated it really liked it
I think this book had a lot of great ideas and information. It seemed to be a little disorganized jumping from one idea to another quickly without a bridge. I heard Matthew Kelly speak when he came to Oregon and his talks were wonderful and I have enjoyed his other books.
Stitchywoman
Jul 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: christian, nonfiction
Another thought provoking book by Matthew Kelly. I enjoyed reading this book and found it helpful. I was able to apply the concepts not only to my spiritual life but to other areas of my life as well.
Angie
Dec 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Excellent! Serious food for thought. Inspirational. I want to buy a copy to have on hand to re-read and re-inspire myself!
Kathy
Jul 10, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Really good. It's one I read again and again, noting new things in the margins. I think it's his best.
Carolyn
Sep 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Such a great book. I got it from the library and could not put it down. Really makes you think what it important about your life and how you should be the person that God meant you to be.
Kara Backlund
Probably best for high school students.
Jimmy D.
May 03, 2016 marked it as 2016
I recommend this book. Heard about it on a Hal Elrod podcast and decided to purchase on Audible - quick but profound read.
Karen Mahoney
Oct 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! It reignited my passion for finding the best version of myself and not settling for mediocre in my faith or in my life. It is a book that should be read many times!
Susan
Sep 22, 2019 rated it liked it
"I close my eyes so that I may see things that I could never see with my eyes open .... I enter the classroom of silence to listen, and there I hear .... the murmurings of my heart and soul .... "

This book contains several nice thoughts and ideas for getting back into the "rhythm" and balance of life. Ironically, though, I felt that the layout of the book's contents didn't really have a rythm or flow. It became very, very repetive and I felt that the book could have been much shorter
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• The Miracle Morning: The Not-So-Obvious Secret Guaranteed to Transform Your Life: Before 8AM
  • Confessions of a Scholarship Winner: The Secrets That Helped Me Win $500,000 in Free Money for College. How You Can Too.
  • How to Sell Network Marketing Without Fear, Anxiety or Losing Your Friends! (Selling from the Soul. Ancient Wisdoms. Modern Practice)
  • Think and Grow Rich
  • The Secret Of The Rosary
  • Terror at Beslan: A Russian Tragedy with Lessons for America's Schools
  • Descent into Darkness: Pearl Harbor, 1941: A Navy Diver's Memoir
  • Silent Warrior: The Marine Sniper's Vietnam Story Continues
  • Sea of Glory: A Novel
  • Heaven, My Home (Highway 59 #2)
  • Marine Sniper: 93 Confirmed Kills
  • Diary of Saint Maria Faustina Kowalska: Divine Mercy in My Soul
  • If I'm Dead (Rachel Knight, #1.6)
  • The Matheny Manifesto: A Young Manager's Old-School Views on Success in Sports and Life
  • Bloom for Yourself
  • Becoming a Wildflower: poetry + prose for courage (Bloom for Yourself Book 3)
  • Trisha's Table: My Feel-Good Favorites for a Balanced Life
  • Broken Mary: A Journey of Hope
Matthew Kelly was born in Sydney, Australia, where he began speaking and writing in 1993. Since that time he has travelled in more than fifty countries and spoken to over four million people. He has written twelve books which have appeared on the New York Times, Wall Street Journal, and USA Today bestseller lists and have been published in twenty-five languages. His titles include: The Rhythm of ...more
“The people we surround ourselves with either raise or lower our standards. They either help us to become the best version of ourselves or encourage us to become lesser versions of ourselves. We become like our friends. No man becomes great on his own. No woman becomes great on her own. The people around them help to make them great.

We all need people in our lives who raise our standards, remind us of our essential purpose, and challenge us to become the best version of ourselves.”
56 likes
“God does not want to control you, or stifle you, or manipulate you, or force you to do anything you don't want to do. Quite the opposite. God will let you do whatever you want to do, whenever you want to do it, with whomever you want to do it, and as often as you want to do it. When was the last time God stopped you from doing anything?” 35 likes