Start by marking “The Final Empire (Mistborn, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Final Empire (Mistborn, #1)

The Final Empire (Mistborn #1)

4.43  ·  Rating details ·  260,055 Ratings  ·  17,708 Reviews
In a world where ash falls from the sky, and mist dominates the night, an evil cloaks the land and stifles all life. The future of the empire rests on the shoulders of a troublemaker and his young apprentice. Together, can they fill the world with color once more?

In Brandon Sanderson's intriguing tale of love, loss, despair and hope, a new kind of magic enters the stage —
Published July 25th 2006 by Tor Books (first published July 17th 2006)

To ask other readers questions about The Final Empire, please sign up.

Jason Wood I don't know why, but anytime I read one of Sanderson's novels, I picture it as an anime in my head ... because of the in-book art style maybe? I…moreI don't know why, but anytime I read one of Sanderson's novels, I picture it as an anime in my head ... because of the in-book art style maybe? I don't know but I've been begging for some japanime studio to pick up one of his books and turn it into an anime mini series.(less)
Rodzilla Depends. Sex and language? None if I remember. But there is strong violence that gets much stronger through the series.

It's always struck me as weird…more

It's always struck me as weird that people worry about their little tween or teen angels encountering some mild swearing or sex, at a level they inevitably encounter in school or from friends, but are OK with horrific violence (we're talking vivisection).

My wife is a developmental psychologist: the research shows that exposure to serious violence isn't developmentally appropriate for kids younger than teens, and is controversial even for younger teens. Modest sex and language are harmless to the development of a tween or older. But I get that people with certain world views find sex and language horrific, and violence to be routine. I just question that, is all.

Remember folks, the biggest variable is your kids' development is the friends they hang out with, not some book they read.(less)

Kat O'Keeffe
Dec 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
BOOKTALK HERE: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-XEW...

Just as I expected, this book was FANTASTIC. The story, the characters, the world, the magic system--I loved it all! It was a wonderful first book in a series--satisfying on its own, yet there's still plenty to explore in future books (which I will definitely be reading soon!)

Really, the only somewhat negative thing I have to say is regarding all the hype. While I definitely think the praise is deserved, it did leave me with very very high e
Khanh (the meanie)
Nov 25, 2012 rated it really liked it
Sometimes, I revisit a book I had loved ages ago, only to tell myself "What the actual fuck was I thinking?! This book is crap!!!!! Oh young Khanh, you were so dumb :("

Thankfully, this was absolutely NOT the case for this book. I appreciated it much more the second time around. It could be that it just took time for me to appreciate the book. Or maybe it just glows in comparison to all the crap I had been reading (2.5 average rating last year, baby!). Either way, I ain't complaining!

First, the b
Benjamin Duffy
I can't remember being this violently conflicted about a book in quite some time. There are some areas where it's just so well done, with the author absolutely nailing it, and then others where I found myself grinding my teeth in frustration. I'm going to abandon my usual practice of writing short, pithy reviews and just drunkenly ramble on a few things here. (Still no spoilers, though.) That OK with y'all?

Language. About two and a half chapters into this book, I found myself asking, "Why does t
Jesse (JesseTheReader)
WOAH. That was a crazy epic adventure full of fantastic characters and action packed madness! It definitely lived up to all the hype for me. :)
Christine Riccio
Dec 31, 2013 rated it it was amazing
MISTBORN WAS SO GOOD GAHH HERE'S MY BOOKTALK: http://youtu.be/S9kgwYQ6MPs
Chelsea Humphrey
Allomancy. The mystical power held by the nobility, granted to them by the Lord Ruler some thousand years before as a reward for their loyalty.

Readers have been urging me for years to pick up anything by Brandon Sanderson, and after browsing his books I knew that Mistborn would be the first world I wanted to enter. Opportunity arose, and I was able to read this along with two other Goodreads friends, which made for a much more exciting experience than if I had gone it alone. We were able to bou
Clau R.
I'M NOT OKAY I'M STILL CRYING.

On to read the next book!
Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads
Reviewed by: Rabid Reads

I hate everyone.

You: Everyone who?
Me: Yes.
You: Eh?
Me: Leave me alone. I don't want to talk about it!
You: *backs away slowly*
Me: IT'S ALL YOUR FAULT. *sobs*

Are you one of them? Are you? Did you rave about MISTBORN and convince me it was one of the BEST fantasy series ever? You can't believe I haven't already read it--I'm going to LOVE it. Hmm? DID YOU?!

Then you, friend, are who I hate.

As for you, Mr. Sanderson . . . I TRUSTED YOU.

I collected your clues and gathered your hi
Raeleen Lemay
Read for Popsugar's 2018 Reading Challenge #4: A Book Involving a Heist
(re-read)

I stand by my rating! This book is FANTASTIC but just not quite a 5-star read for me. I'm really glad that I took the time to read my physical copy this time around (I speed-read most of the book on audio the first time I read it) because I feel like I grasped the story way better. I feel sufficiently re-capped now so I can finally read book 2!

first read in 2014

*4.5*

So good oh my godddddd
Val ⚓️ ShamelessBitchySKANKY ⚓️ Steamy Reads
Thank the Lord Ruler I finally crawled out from whatever rock I was living under and finally decided to read this book.

description

Because.

It.

Was.

So.

Fucking.

Awesome.

description

I have been telling myself for years that I should try and branch out from just romance, paranormal romance, UF romance, sci-fi alien smut and the occasional murder mystery or biography (not that there is a damn thing wrong with my beloved romance, but just to challenge myself to try something new) and attempt to tackle a straight high fant
Melissa ♥ Dog Lover ♥ Martin

I forgot that I did a re-read on audio of this a couple of months back! Thank you to my friends who out of the blue liked my old review and reminded me. I checked my Overdrive and the next one is going to come through soon for my re-read. 😊 I still feel the same about the book because it's freaking awesome, I'm just not sure about the audio. I don't think I will get it from Audible. It's okay I guess. Anyway, the old review is below and nothing has changed

Old Review

www.melissa413readsalot.blogs
Cait • A Page with a View
4.5 stars. I kept stalling on reading this because so many people told me I'd love it. I was worried the hype would be a letdown, but nope... this was SO GOOD.

The last half was AMAZING and feels like a new favorite book, buuuut I honestly didn't get into it until around 40%. There's a lot about Allomancy and I wasn't entirely sure that I cared just yet. Parts dragged for me but I kept reading because I loved the characters.

But the last half of this book is so intense and heartbreaking and brill
Brittney ~ Reverie and Ink
Oh my gosh. I have tears in my eyes. This was by far one of the best fantasy novels I've ever read.

I don't even know how I'm going to function enough to give this a worthy review. Brandon Sanderson, you have rocked my world.

Seriously, if you want to try a high fantasy but you want to avoid those long/boring/depressing series - give this a go. I'm just going to point out all the things that made this a great read for me - but I'm not going to go into too much detail. I read this book without kn
Chris
It reminds me of Ocean's Eleven meets The Italian Job, but set in Mordor after Sauron has ruled for 1000 years or so. In many fantasy stories, a dark lord is rising and it is up to our heroes to defeat him before that happens. In this, the Dark Lord is already set in place as the status quo and the heroes have to motivate others to want a change.....Yet there is a noble class of The Lord Ruler's flunkies who will need to be scammed and robbed along the way, to finance this big revolt.....I love ...more
Kogiopsis
Note to self: You are no longer allowed to bring books this good on family road trips. It makes you antisocial. You ignore the great views outside the car. You resent being torn away from the book to spend time with family, and when you are you babble incessantly about how awesome it is and how everyone would like it and how cool the magic is and how great the characters and on and on and on until your family is probably sick of you. And then, even after an eight-mile hike in the desert when you ...more
❄️Nani❄️
Fantastic. This book was fantastic. The amazing writing, the story, the characters, the world-building, the magic system, the action scenes. All fantastic!

_ An intricate and complex plot that includes, that's right!... A heist! (If that alone isn’t a reason enough, I don’t know what is) 👌
_ The most badass thief among thieves (who’ll also, without a doubt, steal your heart along the way). A criminal mastermind who could pull off the impossible. *Gushing* *GUSHING* 😍
_ An unlikely heroine who's awa
Bookdragon Sean
This is an epic fantasy series and The Final Empire, the first book in the trilogy is, in itself, epic. A world oppressed by a dark ruler sees a thieving group take upon the mantels of heroes. This, along with the help of their mystical power, Alomancy, determines the fate of the Mistborn. If anything, Brandon Sanderson certainly knows how to write alarmingly cool books.

Awesome magic system

Alomancy allows the wielder to burn metals, inside themselves, enhancing their physical abilities such as
Dorreh
Nov 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Kainat 《HUFFLEPUFF & PROUD》
I want this to be my first summer read, The Love Interest certainly doesn't count.

SPOILER ALERT!

You know, when a book leaves you feeling dead inside?
No? Then you obviously haven't read The Final Empire!!

“He smiled despite the grief he felt at the deaths of his men;
he smiled because that was what he did.
That was how he proved to the Lord Ruler
and to himself that he wasn't beaten.”

"Survivor of Hathsin," it said."You promised me a fight."
Kelsier flares his metals. "I never said we were d
sana  °¤°
Jul 09, 2016 rated it it was ok
Recommended to sana by: Literally everyone
Never in my life have I ever felt an incredible amount of disappointment that this book gave me. I'm literally so fucking bitter and salty that I didn't enjoy this hyped as fuck book that no one has ever written a single negative review for.

I'M SEETHING. I WANTED TO LOVE THIS ONE SO MUCH. But the amount of boredom and info dump I encountered in the beginning of this book ruined everything. (view spoiler)
Markus
"He shall defend their ways, yet shall violate them. He will be their savior, yet they shall call him heretic. His name shall be Discord, yet they shall love him for it."

A thousand years ago, a young and noble hero arose from rural obscurity into being hailed by Terris priests as the prophesised Hero of Ages. The nations and armies of the world were united beneath his banner in an effort to challenge the Deepness, the mysterious force of darkness threatening to engulf the world. All hope was pla
Jessica (priceiswong)
Dec 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, own
See my full discussion (with GIFs :P) at www.priceiswong.com
Ginger
Feb 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book was wonderful and fantastic and amazing! It’s one of the best fantasy books that I’ve read. I hope I can do this book justice with my review. So bear with me while I ramble away.

The main character of the book is Vin, a street orphan who has never known friendship or trust, not even from her own family. She’s a member of a thieving crew in the criminal underworld of the empire. No one can be trusted and greed overrules any sort of loyalty. But her hesitancy of trusting others begins to
Caitlin
May 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am dead.

I bought this book in January after hearing so much hype around it and I attempted to read this book at least 10 times since then. I got about 20 pages in each time before I got intimidated and put it on hold. FINALLY, I decided to pick it back up again and push through and oh my god I wish I had read this book sooner. It was incredible. I honestly have no words to even describe this amazing book. Just wow. The hype was so worth it for this one and I cannot wait to see what is in stor
Mary ~Ravager of Tomes~
Oct 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Actual Rating: 4.5 Stars

This was my book club's pick of the month!

I can't even believe this was so good. I mean I can, because it's Brandon Sanderson! But seriously... This was an excellent high fantasy novel. I'm going to try to put my feelings into words, but I find I have a harder time writing positive reviews vs. negative reviews.

The World/Magic System:

This novel takes place in a world devoid of most of its natural color. It's a ruthless empire that has built its foundation on the backs
Zain Otoom
Feb 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favourites
This review will contain unmarked spoilers.
Wow. After five days of intense reading and here I am, baffled at what I just read. It's either I'm in a mood for fantasy or this book was just so darn good, because I did not expect myself to read this book in just five days. It's probably the latter. It's also the reason to why I feel like reading more fantasy!
Anyway, let's talk about this book. So, I have been messaging Warda and giving her my crazy ass theories. And I'm proud to say I almost got ev
Tweebs♥️
“The trick is to never stop looking. There’s always another secret.”

Guys,

what the fuck

I'm 9000% sure that Sanderson practices Black magic. I have never felt SO conflicted over a book in my entire existence. No, I'm fully convinced that this is a product of black magic. Sanderson must've woke up one day and thought,"It's a good day to royally fuck up everyone's life muhahaha"

WELL, Sanderson....

YOU DID A GOOD FUCKING JOB LIKE JHUDHJSKJSIHNANSJKHS WHAT IS LIFE?? WHAT IS AIR?? WHAT IS YOU?? WHAT
Hari ~Brekker-Maresh~
Aug 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Full review up now!!

Well oops, I just accidentally found my favorite book (AFTER HARRY POTTER, BABY, I'D NEVER CHEAT ON YOU)

It was getting kinda ridiculous, how many Brandon Sanderson updates were filling up my feed. And cuz I'm such an original person, I just had to find out for myself. Cuz hypes exist for a reason, right?

So people told me that if I'm gonna read Brandon Sanderson then to start with The Final Empire. #severelyblindread #itrustmygrfriendssomuch

*straightens tie*

EVERY SINGLE PER
April
Feb 03, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Would've been 5 stars, but didn't start picking up till part three for me. Overall a fantastic book.
Romie
Where do I even begin ?

THIS BOOK WAS PERFECT. WHERE ARE THE FLAWS ? I CAN'T FIND ONE.

When I started this book, I had no idea what it was about. I just knew people loved it, and that's all. And I wanted to love it as well. SO badly. AND I DID.

I loved the magic system. You know in some books you don't understand where the magic comes from and more importantly how it works. But it didn't happen with this book. We follow one of our MC, Vin, and she has no idea about her 'powers' we're discovering a
Play Book Tag: The Final Empire, by Brandon Sanderson--4 stars 6 13 Feb 04, 2018 08:00AM
Film Adaptation of Mistborn 37 972 Feb 01, 2018 04:11PM
MistBorn 1 7 Jan 22, 2018 01:10PM
YA Buddy Readers'...: The Final Empire, by Brandon Sanderson - Restarting January 15th 2018 44 181 Jan 21, 2018 07:10PM
Leserunde - Let's...: Kinder des Nebels - Teil 5 - Ende 11 25 Jan 10, 2018 11:04PM
  • Princeps' Fury (Codex Alera, #5)
  • Rise of Empire (The Riyria Revelations, #3-4)
  • The Gathering Storm (Wheel of Time, #12)
  • The Price of Spring (Long Price Quartet, #4)
  • Beyond the Shadows (Night Angel, #3)
  • Blood Song (Raven's Shadow, #1)
  • The Curse of Chalion (World of the Five Gods, #1)
  • Wings of Wrath (The Magister Trilogy, #2)
  • The Mad Ship (Liveship Traders, #2)
  • The Lies of Locke Lamora (Gentleman Bastard, #1)
  • The Autumn Republic (Powder Mage, #3)
  • The Briar King (Kingdoms of Thorn and Bone, #1)
  • The Blade Itself (The First Law, #1)
Brandon’s major books for the second half of 2016 are The Dark Talent, the final volume in Alcatraz Smedry’s autobiographical account of his battle against the Evil Librarians who secretly rule our world, and Arcanum Unbounded, the collection of short fiction in the Cosmere universe that includes the Mistborn series and the Stormlight
Archive, among others. This collection features The Emperor’s S
More about Brandon Sanderson...

Mistborn (7 books)
  • The Well of Ascension (Mistborn, #2)
  • The Hero of Ages (Mistborn, #3)
  • The Alloy of Law (Mistborn, #4)
  • Shadows of Self (Mistborn, #5)
  • The Bands of Mourning (Mistborn, #6)
  • The Lost Metal (Mistborn, #7)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• These Vicious Masks
    $7.09 $2.99
  • The Hundredth Queen (The Hundredth Queen, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Cruel Beauty (Cruel Beauty Universe, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Once Dead (The Rho Agenda Inception #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Door Within (The Door Within, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Harmony Black (Harmony Black, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Cloud Atlas
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Galápagos
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Thirteen
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Unspoken (The Vampire Diaries: The Salvation, # 2)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Mark of Fire (The Endarian Prophecy #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Star (The Collected Stories of Arthur C. Clarke, #3)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Season of Fire (The Remnants, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Dreamsongs. Volume I (Dreamsongs, #1)
    $12.99 $2.99
  • Lethal Velocity : A Novel
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Haunting Season
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Season of Wonder (The Remnants, #1)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Second Ship (The Rho Agenda, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
“You should try not to talk so much, friend. You'll sound far less stupid that way.

- Breeze”