Start by marking “The Final Empire (Mistborn, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Final Empire (Mistborn, #1)

The Final Empire

(The Mistborn Saga #1)

4.46  ·  Rating details ·  509,386 ratings  ·  36,823 reviews
What if the whole world were a dead, blasted wasteland?

Mistborn
For a thousand years the ash fell and no flowers bloomed. For a thousand years the Skaa slaved in misery and lived in fear. For a thousand years the Lord Ruler, the "Sliver of Infinity," reigned with absolute power and ultimate terror, divinely invincible. Then, when hope was so long lost that not even its
Published July 17th 2006 by Tor Books

To ask other readers questions about The Final Empire, please sign up.
Rodzilla Depends. Sex and language? None if I remember. But there is strong violence that gets much stronger through the series.

It's always struck me as weird…more

It's always struck me as weird that people worry about their little tween or teen angels encountering some mild swearing or sex, at a level they inevitably encounter in school or from friends, but are OK with horrific violence (we're talking vivisection).

My wife is a developmental psychologist: the research shows that exposure to serious violence isn't developmentally appropriate for kids younger than teens, and is controversial even for younger teens. Modest sex and language are harmless to the development of a tween or older. But I get that people with certain world views find sex and language horrific, and violence to be routine. I just question that, is all.

Remember folks, the biggest variable is your kids' development is the friends they hang out with, not some book they read.(less)
Jason Wood I don't know why, but anytime I read one of Sanderson's novels, I picture it as an anime in my head ... because of the in-book art style maybe? I don'…moreI don't know why, but anytime I read one of Sanderson's novels, I picture it as an anime in my head ... because of the in-book art style maybe? I don't know but I've been begging for some japanime studio to pick up one of his books and turn it into an anime mini series.(less)

·  509,386 ratings  ·  36,823 reviews

Start your review of The Final Empire (Mistborn, #1)
Petrik
Sep 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: epic/high fantasy fans
Shelves: favorites
I have a Booktube channel now! Subscribe here: https://www.youtube.com/petrikleo

Here it is, the beginning of the trilogy that sparked my love for reading fantasy novels.

It’s been exactly one year ten months since I first joined Goodreads or started reading The Final Empire for the first time; it was on September 1st, 2016. There’s no doubt that The Final Empire is an extremely important book for me. It’s not easy for me to elaborate upon this; a cliché such as “I absolutely love this book” is no
Benjamin Duffy
I can't remember being this violently conflicted about a book in quite some time. There are some areas where it's just so well done, with the author absolutely nailing it, and then others where I found myself grinding my teeth in frustration. I'm going to abandon my usual practice of writing short, pithy reviews and just drunkenly ramble on a few things here. (Still no spoilers, though.) That OK with y'all?

Language. About two and a half chapters into this book, I found myself asking, "Why does t
Khanh, first of her name, mother of bunnies
Sometimes, I revisit a book I had loved ages ago, only to tell myself "What the actual fuck was I thinking?! This book is crap!!!!! Oh young Khanh, you were so dumb :("

Thankfully, this was absolutely NOT the case for this book. I appreciated it much more the second time around. It could be that it just took time for me to appreciate the book. Or maybe it just glows in comparison to all the crap I had been reading (2.5 average rating last year, baby!). Either way, I ain't complaining!

First, the b
Mark Lawrence
Apr 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was an odd one for me. I've seen an enormous number of opinions about Sanderson's books on the fantasy forums I hang out on, the great majority favourable. I was interested to see what it was that had sold so very many books and got such an incredibly high average score on Goodreads.

The opening was strong and engaging. Then I started to falter. For most of the book I didn't think that I would be giving it 5*. I started to worry that I might have a legion of Sanderfans on my case :o

I think
Regan
Nov 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
WOW. That. Was. Really. Good.
Jesse (JesseTheReader)
WOAH. That was a crazy epic adventure full of fantastic characters and action packed madness! It definitely lived up to all the hype for me. :)
Val ⚓️ Shameless Handmaiden ⚓️
6/21 Re-reading...

Thank the Lord Ruler I finally crawled out from whatever rock I was living under and finally decided to read this book.

Because.

It.

Was.

So.

Fucking.

Awesome.

description

I have been telling myself for years that I should try and branch out from just romance, paranormal romance, UF romance, sci-fi alien smut and the occasional murder mystery or biography (not that there is a damn thing wrong with my beloved romance, but just to challenge myself to try something new) and attempt to tackle a
Warda
6th reread and I’m still not bored.

Think that sums up my feelings towards these books.
Claudia Ramírez
I'M NOT OKAY I'M STILL CRYING.

On to read the next book!
Chelsea Humphrey
Reread 04/05/22

***********************

Allomancy. The mystical power held by the nobility, granted to them by the Lord Ruler some thousand years before as a reward for their loyalty.

Readers have been urging me for years to pick up anything by Brandon Sanderson, and after browsing his books I knew that Mistborn would be the first world I wanted to enter. Opportunity arose, and I was able to read this along with two other Goodreads friends, which made for a much more exciting experience than if I
Christine Riccio
Dec 31, 2013 rated it it was amazing
MISTBORN WAS SO GOOD GAHH HERE'S MY BOOKTALK: http://youtu.be/S9kgwYQ6MPs ...more
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin

www.melissa413readsalot.blogspot.com

I'm sitting here in shock after reading this book. I have to admit that I cried, I didn't see that ending coming. Brandon Sanderson has done it again. This is only my second book I have read of his and they both have blown me away.

I loved all of the "good" characters in the book. Each one of them have an endearing quality. My favorites being Kell, Vin and Sazed. It took me a little bit to understand the Allomancy, but it finally started to make sense and ther
jessica
Jun 29, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
wow. okay. this is probably the last book i thought would make me cry…

the first 80% of this was a pretty solid 4 star read for me. there are some really great characters, a plot i could totally get behind, some interesting court dynamics, and awesome world building. but then the last 20%. my gosh. the last 20%. there were watery eyes and some sniffles, feelings of pride and moments of excitement, some losses that shook me and some triumphs that gave me hope again. its phenomenal.

and its been su
Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁
Reviewed by: Rabid Reads

I hate everyone.

You: Everyone who?
Me: Yes.
You: Eh?
Me: Leave me alone. I don't want to talk about it!
You: *backs away slowly*
Me: IT'S ALL YOUR FAULT. *sobs*

Are you one of them? Are you? Did you rave about MISTBORN and convince me it was one of the BEST fantasy series ever? You can't believe I haven't already read it--I'm going to LOVE it. Hmm? DID YOU?!

Then you, friend, are whom I hate.

As for you, Mr. Sanderson . . . I TRUSTED YOU.

I collected your clues and gathered your h
Merphy Napier
Sep 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
My review upon reread: https://youtu.be/pUut-wrOhMw

This may be the first time in my life I'm actually mad at myself for not starting a book sooner. The characters were unbelievable and the plot was so thrilling and gripping the entire way through. I actually want to start rereading it right now. Which is stupid because there's more books in the series. But I want that story again and I'm sad that I can't experience it again for the first time
Brittney ~ Reverie and Ink
Oh my gosh. I have tears in my eyes. This was by far one of the best fantasy novels I've ever read.

I don't even know how I'm going to function enough to give this a worthy review. Brandon Sanderson, you have rocked my world.

Seriously, if you want to try a high fantasy but you want to avoid those long/boring/depressing series - give this a go. I'm just going to point out all the things that made this a great read for me - but I'm not going to go into too much detail. I read this book without kn
chan ☆
Jan 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2020, adult-fantasy
yo, i read my first adult fantasy!!!!!!!!!

reading Peruse Project's favorite books
Chris
It reminds me of Ocean's Eleven meets The Italian Job, but set in Mordor after Sauron has ruled for 1000 years or so. In many fantasy stories, a dark lord is rising and it is up to our heroes to defeat him before that happens. In this, the Dark Lord is already set in place as the status quo and the heroes have to motivate others to want a change.....Yet there is a noble class of The Lord Ruler's flunkies who will need to be scammed and robbed along the way, to finance this big revolt.....I love ...more
Kogiopsis
Note to self: You are no longer allowed to bring books this good on family road trips. It makes you antisocial. You ignore the great views outside the car. You resent being torn away from the book to spend time with family, and when you are you babble incessantly about how awesome it is and how everyone would like it and how cool the magic is and how great the characters and on and on and on until your family is probably sick of you. And then, even after an eight-mile hike in the desert when you ...more
sunny
Jul 09, 2016 rated it it was ok
Recommended to sunny by: Literally everyone
Never in my life have I ever felt an incredible amount of disappointment that this book gave me. I'm literally so fucking bitter and salty that I didn't enjoy this hyped as fuck book that no one has ever written a single negative review for.

I'M SEETHING. I WANTED TO LOVE THIS ONE SO MUCH. But the amount of boredom and info dump I encountered in the beginning of this book ruined everything. (view spoiler)
Katerina
Nov 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018-reads, fantasy
Brilliant.
Absolutely brilliant.

Re-reads are a tough decision. There is a high chance you won't find the book as good as you thought it was all those years ago, that you will be disappointed and left with a bitter taste in your mouth, that the glass tower that protects your relationship with said book will be shattered. Re-reads can be intimidating. But that was not the case with The Final Empire. Although it sounds improbable, I appreciated it even more the second time around.

He was supposed
Muhtasin
Apr 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
The Final Empire by Brandon Sanderson

In the magic-centric Mistborn world, magic systems are based on metals, which are used to grant specific strengths. Sanderson designed a very complex and innovative world, even though that is easy for the readers to understand. It's truly a unique fantasy book. And the tale is far from predictable. The character development, captivating world-building, and complex magic system made the story so unique.
Our belief is often strongest when it should be weakest
✨ A ✨
Aug 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who loves thieving crews
Recommended to ✨ A ✨ by: Warda
I'm just-

description

This being my first time reading a Sanderson book I did not know what to expect. I basically knew nothing about these books, I did not even read the blurb. When a book shocks you with its awesomeness it is always the best experience AND THAT IS EXACTLY WHAT HAPPENED.

He smiled despite the grief he felt at the deaths of his men; he smiled because that was what he did. That was how he proved to the Lord Ruler—and to himself—that he wasn’t beaten.

The Final Empire is a land where the Skaa h
❄️BooksofRadiance❄️
I mean....

The writing, the story, the characters, the world, the magic, the battle scenes. How do I do it justice??

_ A beautifully intricate plot that includes, that's right!... A heist! (A heist?) Anyway, if that alone isn’t reason enough, I don’t know what is. 👌
_ The most badass thief among thieves who’ll also, without a doubt, steal your heart along the way. A criminal mastermind who could pull off the impossible. *Gushing* *GUSHING* 😍
_ An unlikely heroine who's aware of her weaknesses and do
Ahmad Sharabiani
The Final Empire (Mistborn, #1), Brandon Sanderson

Mistborn: The Final Empire, also known simply as Mistborn or , is a fantasy novel written by American author Brandon Sanderson. It was published on July 17, 2006 by Tor Books and is the first novel in the Mistborn trilogy, followed by The Well of Ascension in 2007 and The Hero of Ages in 2008.

At the beginning of the novel, the reader is introduced to Vin, a street urchin who is recruited by Kelsier's crew after Kelsier realizes that she is a Mis
J.L.   Sutton
Jul 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Really enjoyed Final Empire! It will be a book I recommend to others. I liked the characters, including a strong female heroine, Vin (her trust issues and ultimately her heroism), and the world-building that was there from beginning to end. That the plot was intricately tied to how Sanderson created his world made the story more interesting as it unfolded. Some of world-building made the start a little slow and the battle scenes were sometimes long, and given how allomancers fight, they sometime ...more
Melanie
Dec 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Well, for starters, this was the best prologue of any book I've ever read. I have been neglecting this series (and author) for far too long, and after I read that prologue I was fiending for the actual story. Is fiending a word? I think it's slang. Now I'm answering my own questions in a review. Whatever, I like fiending and I'm keeping it!

This story has two very predominate social classes in this book; The nobility and the slaves. The Lord Ruler is the "God" of this world, and his corrupt gove
Sean Barrs
Jun 15, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is an epic fantasy series and The Final Empire, the first book in the trilogy is, in itself, epic. A world oppressed by a dark ruler sees a thieving group take upon the mantels of heroes. This, along with the help of their mystical power, Alomancy, determines the fate of the Mistborn. If anything, Brandon Sanderson certainly knows how to write alarmingly cool books.

Awesome magic system

Alomancy allows the wielder to burn metals, inside themselves, enhancing their physical abilities such as
Hannah Azerang
Jun 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, owned
This was everything I could have asked for out of a fantasy novel and more! It was perfection, I am obsessed.

Excuse me while I go and devour the rest of the series.
Anne
Jan 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
Alright. So in this (very beloved) fantasy series, there is a group of special folks who eat and then internally burn metal.

description

They can do all kinds of neat-o shit with the different metals, including gaining strength, speed, better senses...you know the sort of stuff superheroes have.

description

Except this is fantasy, so instead of superheroes you have Allomancers. And instead of a supervillain, you have an evil, immortal emperor with god-like powers.

description

Ok and this is sort of a heist story because you have

• The Name of the Wind (The Kingkiller Chronicle, #1)
  • The Wise Man's Fear (The Kingkiller Chronicle, #2)
  • The Eye of the World (The Wheel of Time, #1)
  • The Blade Itself (The First Law, #1)
  • The Lies of Locke Lamora (Gentleman Bastard, #1)
  • Assassin's Apprentice (Farseer Trilogy, #1)
  • The Great Hunt (The Wheel of Time, #2)
  • Before They Are Hanged (The First Law, #2)
  • A Game of Thrones (A Song of Ice and Fire, #1)
  • The Dragon Reborn (The Wheel of Time, #3)
  • Eragon (The Inheritance Cycle, #1)
  • Last Argument of Kings (The First Law, #3)
  • Dune (Dune, #1)
  • Red Rising (Red Rising Saga, #1)
  • Storm Front (The Dresden Files, #1)
  • The Poppy War (The Poppy War, #1)
  • The Shadow Rising (The Wheel of Time, #4)
  • Jade City (The Green Bone Saga, #1)
See top shelves…
Brandon’s major books for the second half of 2016 are The Dark Talent, the final volume in Alcatraz Smedry’s autobiographical account of his battle against the Evil Librarians who secretly rule our world, and Arcanum Unbounded, the collection of short fiction in the Cosmere universe that includes the Mistborn series and the Stormlight
Archive, among others. This collection features The Emperor’s S

The Mistborn Saga (10 books)
  • The Well of Ascension (Mistborn, #2)
  • The Hero of Ages (Mistborn, #3)
  • The Alloy of Law (Mistborn, #4)
  • Shadows of Self (Mistborn, #5)
  • The Bands of Mourning (Mistborn, #6)
  • The Lost Metal (Mistborn, #7)
  • Untitled (Mistborn, #8)
  • Untitled (Mistborn, #9)
  • Untitled (Mistborn, #10)

Articles featuring this book

Dragons, demons, kings, queens, and the occasional farm boy (with a special destiny, of course): Fantasy literature has it all! To celebrate...
“You should try not to talk so much, friend. You'll sound far less stupid that way.

- Breeze”
1285 likes
“But you can't kill me, Lord Tyrant. I represent that one thing you've never been able to kill, no matter how hard you try. I am hope.” 1083 likes