Start by marking “Christian History Made Easy” as Want to Read:

-- Time lines, worksheets, websites
-- Photos, maps, and illustrations
-- 13 Lessons with Leader's Guide
-- For churches, schools, small groups, homeschoolers & individuals
Published January 1st 2005 by Rose Publishing (CA) (first published August 1st 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Christian History Made Easy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Christian History Made Easy

Matthew Mitchell
An excellent basic introduction to the last 2000 years of Christian history. We used "Christian History Made Easy" in our small group from church and had edifying discussions each week. We especially loved how the author emphasized humility as we studied some of the foibles of our spiritual forebears--realizing that we can't see our own blindspots. Our group also appreciated how the author made his wise choices of what to include--such the important contributions of women (often under-represente ...more
James B
Aug 25, 2014 rated it really liked it
It is about time for me to start reading about Christian church history, and this little book as title suggested, indeed made very easy for anyone to get a brief but essential view of events and people who shaped this history of Christianity. The book understandably tries to be as objective as possible therefore contains very little analysis (after all it has to be brief), however author did subtly hint the theme of authority of scripture as a key issue throughout the history. Every chapter cont ...more
Jacob Newton
Sep 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Timothy Paul Jones gives an excellent, brief overview of Christian history without putting too much personal doctrinal beliefs in the text. He also has a few comedic spots, which always helps when reading history.
Zann
Aug 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good overview. Could be used as an outline for further study as well.
Pulaski
Sep 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
very good overview.
John Gardner
Jun 02, 2012 rated it really liked it
I bought this book as a potential text for teaching a class at our church on church history. As the cover states, it is quite “basic”, but it is ideal for use as a beginner-level overview of the history of Christianity: exactly what I’d hoped it would be.

The twelve chapters — each of which covers the main events, names, and terms of a time period — read incredibly quickly, as each page contains colorful pictures, block quotes, and other graphics which present information in a variety of ways. Th
Lee Harmon
Nov 16, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This beautiful full-color book highlights the major personalities in Christian development over the last 2,000 years … from A.D. 64 to 2009.

It’s a short book, so I confess I felt a little frustrated at the lack of depth. The book takes on a little too big a topic for 188 pages of text, and religion is a topic where oversimplifying by bouncing along the surface can distort as much as elucidate. Therefore, to get the full benefit of the book, treat it like an instruction course and take advantage
Stan
Mar 28, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Written by a young pastor for his rural congregation, "Christian History Made Easy" aims to provide a basic overview for those new to the subject. To that end, this is a good book. Having already studied christian history, though years ago, this book was a good refresher. It brought back to the forefront people I wanted to know more about. Several of the quotes left me wanting to dig deeper in the originals. So, this book serves its purpose - whet the appetite for more.

The book points the reader
Leroy Seat
Jul 24, 2012 rated it liked it
Actually, I would like to give this book 3.5 starts, but mainly because of a number of (mostly rather small) factual errors (which is never good in a history book) I could not conscientiously give it 4.

This book is attractively done, containing many sidebars, pictures, and introduction to Internet sites. It should serve its purpose well, that is, introducing Christian history to lay Christians and others who have not studied that history very much. But it is an interesting read (and review) eve
Jason
This is very well written book, providing an abbreviated, even-handed synopsis of influential people and events in Christian history. It plows through Christian history from the time of Christ until now in 12 relatively brief but information-packed chapters. Despite the abundant content, it is easily digestible because of the conversational (sometimes humerous), story-telling narrative that is used. This book would be wisely used as a base-level introduction before moving onto studying certain e ...more
John
Nov 19, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very good introductory book on church history. I read the kindle version on my paperwhite initially and found myself occasionally reading on my ipad to look at the pictures in color. The book is written in a very approachable manner and ends each chapter with a "events", "names" and "terms" you should know as a review from the chapter. With frequent "in case you were confused" and other pointed topics offered in bite size chunks the book does allow for pretty casual reading. A very small criti ...more
Michele
Jan 13, 2009 rated it liked it
This is a good introduction to Church History for 8th grade to adult. It is designed to be used to teach a course, but is well suited to individual study. I think it is well done, with the caution that it is from a Protestant perspective and may not always be sensitive to a Catholic point of view. If you want a good book for lay reading on Church History, I prefer other books, but this has been very helpful in preparing to teach Mid-High Church History classes and it is a quick read--designed to ...more
Thomas Freeman
Nice pictorial overview. Rose Publishing does graphic overviews well. It seems to be their specialty. They nailed it with this book. It is a good introduction to the facts of church history but it also has very good graphics making it easy to follow. It really keeps your attention. The author does a great job with the small writing sections that exist.

The book is consistent with most current views on church history and will help introduce you.

Recommended.
Kimberly Terrill
Jun 20, 2011 rated it liked it
Recommended to Kimberly by: Aaron Carlberg
I used this to teach Church History to my son (12 at the time). He likes church history and would often ask to learn more. Many books were just above my head so I couldn't use them to teach. This was very good for us. It has side notes, charts, maps, little quizzes and online websites, so it kept the topic from being too "boring" or monotonous.
Patrick S.
Aug 05, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e-books
This was a nice little reference book about the span of Christian history. I mainly used it to compile a list of early Church fathers to read from and on certain topics in a chronological order. I appreciated how many issues and topics the book included and is truly an easy laid out book on the topic. It's an easy read that gives you a good number of options for deeper reading. Final Grade - B+
Rob
Sep 01, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christian, history
This is an excellent resource for those who want to learn church history without having to dog through a 400 page tome. There is also a 12 week DVD-based study available by the author. I taught this class at my local church and we all thoroughly enjoyed it!
Jason Marianna
Mar 10, 2016 rated it liked it
A good place to start for a broad view of Church history. Not particularly deep and the author writes on a basic, high school level, but it is wide ranging in topics and systematic in approach. Definitely good, maybe great, not amazing.
Jonathan Roberts
Sep 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, 2014
Easy read, user friendly, no where near a complete history but a good start. I actually enjoyed this a lot more than the Gonzalez book I had to read in seminary, and no it was not because of all the pictures! Recommended!
Matt Frawley
Aug 22, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good basic introduction to Christian history. It does exactly what it set out to do. Will be great as a teaching tool along with the power points. Unfortunately, those are sold separately for nearly $40.
Charles Williams
Aug 12, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well written, concise. Sine gaps in order to achieve it's intended purpose of making a rich and complex subject "easy." Sometimes, "easy" is not a good thing. We need to read some "not easy" and enjoy the discipline gained by doing so.
Josh Gatewood
Feb 07, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014
This book was read for DC

It was a simple overview of the History of the church touching on some of the basic concepts of Theology and how different groups of believers came about.

It was well done and I wish I had a Paper copy instead of the ebook because it had great pictures!
Yamid HR
Dec 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the best books of Christian History out there, great narrative, engaging and full of grace and truth for the Christian History/Fathers. More of 700 pages of relevant facts and a lot of funny and trutful comments on them.
Tom Mobley
Dec 20, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
For those of us who have asked "why do we do that or why is the Christian faith like this?", this book does a great job laying the foundations of explanation. Book would be a great small group study for a those that seek a better understanding of church history.

I'm glad I read it. .
Sheryl
Jan 11, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I like History and and we are having a Sunday school class on this topic. So far, so good - easy reading with good information.
Billy Widener
Feb 15, 2013 rated it really liked it
I give it a 4 but it does cover most of the areas that we need to know within the early church fathers. This book, in no question, had lead me to study further, such as the early church fathers.
Tom Heil
Aug 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great summary of church history and quick reference. The author's story telling approach makes learning history enjoyable.
Lizzie
Aug 19, 2013 rated it liked it
Great overview and good resource. Almost too easy, but does what it sets out to do: tell a coherent story of 2000 years of church history and make me hungry for more.
Jenny Hurd
Nov 08, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: info-bio

Great illustrations and easy reference for dates and names
Brandon Barnes
Apr 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing
A basic, quick rundown of Church History. Keep it in your bathroom and you'll finish it in no time!
Al
Jul 29, 2012 rated it liked it
Church history condensed into 150 pages. Terrific little summary, easy to understand facts in bullet like format. Great resource material.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • History of the Christian Church, 8 vols.
  • Welcome to a Reformed Church: A Guide for Pilgrims
  • Historical Theology: An Introduction to Christian Doctrine: A Companion to Wayne Grudem's Systematic Theology
  • Resisting Gossip: Winning the War of the Wagging Tongue
  • Revival and Revivalism
  • Pillars of Grace, AD 100–1564 (A Long Line of Godly Men, #2)
  • The Work of Christ: What the Events of Jesus' Life Mean for You
  • Speaking Truth in Love: Counsel in Community
  • The Erosion of Inerrancy in Evangelicalism: Responding to New Challenges to Biblical Authority
  • The Gospel Call and True Conversion (Recovering the Gospel)
  • The Inspiration and Authority of the Bible
  • Old Story New: Ten-Minute Devotions to Draw Your Family to God
  • Wednesdays were Pretty Normal: A Boy, Cancer, And God
  • The Deliberate Church: Building Your Ministry on the Gospel
  • The Gospel at Work: How Working for King Jesus Gives Purpose and Meaning to Our Jobs
  • A History of Christian Missions (The Penguin History of the Church, #6)
  • The Doctrines of Grace: Rediscovering the Evangelical Gospel
  • God's Glory in Salvation Through Judgment: A Biblical Theology
Timothy Paul Jones serves as professor of leadership at The Southern Baptist Theological Seminary and works in the SojournKids children's ministry at Sojourn Community Church. Before coming to Louisville, Timothy led churches in Missouri and Oklahoma as a pastor and an associate pastor. He has been widely recognized as a leading writer and researcher in the fields of apologetics, church history, a ...more
More about Timothy Paul Jones...
“One of Gregory's most familiar legacies flowed from his concern for the church's music. Remembering his concern for the music of the church, one form of Roman plainsong—the “Gregorian chant”—was named after Gregory after his death.” 0 likes