The Constitution in Exile: How the Federal Government Has Seized Power by Rewriting the Supreme Law of the Land

4.09 of 5 stars 4.09  ·  rating details  ·  150 ratings  ·  18 reviews
What ever happened to our inalienable rights?

The Constitution was once the bedrock of our country, an unpretentious parchment that boldly established the God-given rights and freedoms of America. Today that parchment has been shred to ribbons, explains Fox News senior judicial analyst Judge Andrew P. Napolitano, as the federal government trounces state and individual right...more
Published March 1st 2007 by Thomas Nelson Publishers (first published April 18th 2006)

Danny
a technical look at the leftest court that has croupted the founding documents.
John
I am reading this book to obtain a judicial review of the practicality of our constitution. Terrorism, it is my humble and unlearned opinion because I am no expert, has changed the rules of the game of our relationship not only with some governments but with or among ourselves. The government takes liberties that to some by step our Bill of Rights.
Does the Constitution need to be changed? Ignored? Is the conservative contention that the Constitution of these United States is being set aside o...more
Blake Maddux
3 1/2 stars.

Unspectacular, but entertaining and informative. There did seem to be some lazy/sloppy editing and research. For example, Napolitano quotes Louis Brandeis from what he says is a famous Supreme Court Decision. It is so famous, apparently, that he doen not know the name of it. That is because the quote came not from a SCOTUS decision but from an article Brandeis and his law partner wrote called "The Right To Privacy."

Still, this is absolutely worth reading, coming as it does from a Fox...more
Sean Rosenthal
Interesting Quote:

"[O]n December 13, 2003--the President signed the Intelligence Authorization Act...For the first time in American history, the government without showing probable cause and without getting a search warrant from a judge, can read your mail before you do, can go to your lawyer's office and seize your files and the lawyer can't tell you, and it can do the same with a bank, with a hospital, with your physician, and with your pharmacist...It was [signed] the day we captured Saddam H...more
David Robins
It's good, but could have been better. At some points he isn't sure how much government he actually wants, and I wish he'd define what he considered natural law a little better since the concept does vary a little. Nonetheless, a good overview of some of the cases and events wherein the various branches of the federal government have stolen the liberties bequeathed to the American people through the founders via the Constitution.
John
Jun 04, 2009 John rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2009
Napolitano writes at length about the ways each branch of government has usurped powers not granted it by the Constitution. He is especially helpful in exposing court cases throughout our history in which freedoms have been preserved and others in which freedoms have been taken.

This is a book that more Americans need to read. We take for granted so much of the way things are without understanding the consequences.
Michael Green
It's so easy, but shortsighted, to blame the current president for our troubles,but you need to read this book to understand that our problems go back much further than recent history. Our government has been systematically seizing power and won't stop until it is made to stop.

This should be required reading for all students.
Ed
It turns out that this is a very sad story to read. Sad, because it makes you realize just how much freedom and liberty we've given up over the past century. I am by no means, a truther, birther, or any other "ther", but you can't ignore the facts that are highlighted in this book.
Lewis Fiecke
Saddening reality of today's judicial practices, the abandonment of the citizens having rule over themselves and the right to privacy and freedoms. Current trends have us giving up freedom at an alarming rate, and by the time we notice it may be too late.
Expose Austin Texas Duty To Care For Others
Learn about the constitution in a comprehensive and applicable manner. State universities are consistently violating civil rights in a secretive and passive-aggressive way; if you are not careful you will become a victim.
Tamura
A dangerous book in these times. He tells truth, from a perspective of someone who knows. Libertarian views, and was a possible VP choice to Ron Paul.

I shall read all his work
Luke McManamon
Jul 09, 2009 Luke McManamon rated it 5 of 5 stars Recommends it for: Anyone wanting a Constitutional perspective on Freedom and Liberty
Great summary review for a Constitutionalist perspective. A fresh reminder- the Federal Government only has 18 Enumerated Powers. Thats it!
Michael
I honestly feel like I have just been put on a government watch list after reading this book. It scares me that much!
Eric
This shows how the imperial federal govt has grown to so much power--using the interstate commerce clause...
Pamela
Oct 18, 2008 Pamela is currently reading it
Reading this after I finish with the Woodward book on Clinton.
William
Great book! I love this author. Most interesting and informative.
Dane
Pretty good.
Peter
Peter marked it as to-read
Apr 20, 2014
Matthew Walkup
Matthew Walkup marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2014
Chris Meigs
Chris Meigs marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2014
Jonathan Freed
Jonathan Freed marked it as to-read
Mar 20, 2014
David Addiss
David Addiss marked it as to-read
Mar 07, 2014
M
M marked it as to-read
Feb 22, 2014
Wade
Wade marked it as to-read
Feb 22, 2014
Patrick S.
Patrick S. marked it as to-read
Feb 21, 2014
Yameen Huq
Yameen Huq marked it as to-read
Feb 11, 2014
Andrew Paolo Napolitano is a former New Jersey Superior Court Judge. He is a political and senior judicial analyst for Fox News Channel, commenting on legal news and trials. Napolitano started on the channel in 1998. He is a Libertarian and a strong advocate of the Constitution, viewing it as a contract that must, according to rule of law, be interpreted the way its authors intended or else be inv...more
More about Andrew P. Napolitano...
Lies the Government Told You: Myth, Power, and Deception in American History A Nation of Sheep Constitutional Chaos: What Happens When the Government Breaks Its Own Laws Theodore and Woodrow: How Two American Presidents Destroyed Constitutional Freedom It Is Dangerous to Be Right When the Government Is Wrong: The Case for Personal Freedom