Start by marking “The Halfling's Gem (Forgotten Realms: Icewind Dale, #3; Legend of Drizzt, #6)” as Want to Read:
The Halfling's Gem (Forgotten Realms: Icewind Dale, #3; Legend of Drizzt, #6)

The Halfling's Gem

(The Icewind Dale Trilogy #3)

Regis has fallen into the hands of the assassin Artmis Entreri, who is taking him to Calimport to deliver him into the clutches of the vile Pasha Pook. But Drizzt and Wulfgar are close on their heels, determined to save Regis from his own folly as much as from his powerful enemies.
Published January 29th 2008 by Wizards of the Coast (first published January 1990)

To ask other readers questions about The Halfling's Gem, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Halfling's Gem

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
I can't even begin to explain how much I love these books and characters ❤

My wonderful Wulfgar ❤

The sharp tounged and awesome Bruenor Battleaxe ❤

The lovely and bad to the bone Cattie-Brie ❤

I didn't add Regis but I love him too. 😊

These friends do everything for each other, even die if they have to and I never want to see that day come 😫

The ending was so sweet. Wulfgar and Cattie-Brie. Bruenor ruling over his home again. And we shall see with Drittz, he's never sits long and he has his own thought
David - proud Gleeman in Branwen's adventuring party
I'll write a full review when I have the time, but for now, here's...

DAVE'S FINAL JUDGMENT -

THE DEFENSE
- Salvatore once again proves that he's one of the best at describing action sequences
- Lightning quick pace and non-stop action ensures Salvatore has many opportunities to prove the above claim
- While Drizzt may be the star of the show, Bruenor, Wulfgar, Regis, and especially Cattie-Brie are all given their moments to shine
- Features more originality than the previous books of The Icewi
Dani
Oct 20, 2009 rated it did not like it
Shelves: read-in-2010
Probably the worst one in the series so far. I actually didn't enjoy this one in the least.

Here's what this book reminded me of: I work a job where I scan a document into the computer as a picture then convert that picture into text using a "smart read" program. This program often messes up: interchanging I's, 1's and l's. It also mistakes O's and 0's and changes other things like t's to i's and ect. It even goes so far as to turn D's into I) or d's into cl. My job is to read through and correct
Beatriz
Debo reconocer que no abordé la lectura con muchas expectativas; si bien la primera entrega de la trilogía me gustó mucho, la segunda flaqueó bastante. Pero en estos libros descubrí al que se convertiría en uno de mis personajes favoritos, Drizzt Do’Urden, por lo que quiero comenzar la trilogía de El Elfo Oscuro, pero no sin terminar la del Valle del Viento Helado (si, si, soy un poco estructurada para estas cosas).

La Gema del Halfling es una novela muy entretenida, con mucha acción, buenos pers
Nimrod Daniel
Dec 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: dnd_worlds
4-4.25/5
Brad
Nov 01, 2008 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: no one
Shelves: fantasy
For the first time in six books, I can see why people like R.A. Salvatore's Dark Elf series. I still don't like them myself, but The Halfling's Gem isn't completely without merit.

I see that the series' greatest appeal must come from the obligatory and breathless battle sequences -- and those can be kind of entertaining.

The Halfling's Gem contains the best of the series so far (taken in chronological order). From Rogues Circle to the Sewers of Calimport to Tarterus to victory, Salvatore rolls an
Aja: The Narcoleptic Ninja
This one was a little disappointing in comparison to the others.
Allen M Werner
Jun 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Once again the intrepid, unusual friends of R.A. Salvatore's imagination ride out on another exciting adventure, leaving the familiar world of Icewind Dale behind for the Sword Coast, from Waterdeep to Baulder's Gate, to Calimport to save the lovable but thieving halfling, Regis. Regis was taken away by the assassin Artemis Entereri in the last book for a debt owed to a powerful guildmaster, Pasha Pook.
There are host of battles, as always, sea battles, spider creatures, wererats, demodand's from
Twila
Oh boy, oh boy, was this a read.
This book tells the tale of the companions running to the ends of the realm, trying to rescue Regis and Guenhwyvar from the assassin Artemis Entreri. The plot, as is sounds, is pretty straight forward but it still didn't disappoint at all.

It was so full of suspense that you just can't put the book down. And the action! I thought this was so action packed, it would fill three other books with enough. Most of all though, it was just so exciting and fun.

And the ch
Ralph Pulner
Jun 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A great adventure. A great balance of humor and action. I think this is the best of the trilogy.

-There is a shift, tonally, in RA Salvatore's writing style that I really enjoyed. Better sentence structure, more enhanced and descriptive battle scenes, but not hard to follow.

-Getting to see the realms was a pleasure. Waterdeep, Baldur's Gate and Calimsham!

-This book was number 12 on the New York Times bestseller list at it's release. I imagine that sealed the deal for RA's writing career and legi
Mehmet Ali Yıldırım
Tatmin olmadım diyemem. Bunda, aynı kurguda okunabilecek daha çok kitap ve serinin olmasının da etkisi var tabi.
Tony
Jun 22, 2014 rated it liked it
4 unstoppable, invincible characters pursue an assassin over thousands of miles for their halfling thief friend in this fantasy. Filled with tons of narrow escapes and convenient encounters.

The Companions of the Hall: Drizzt, the dark elf; Wulfgar, the Barbarian, Bruenor, the Dwarf; and Cattie-Brie, the human adopted daughter of Bruenor, aren't supposedly invincible, but upon reading the book it's quite apparent that they are. It's a fantasy book with superheroes and never fear for their deaths
Chelsea
This, the third in the Icewind Dale trilogy, is better than the previous two entries, mostly for the change in scenery. Characters, major and minor, are still characterized with a heavy handedness to be found in bad fanfic, characters act outside their "good alignments," and this book manages to bring a little racial fun into play with the profoundly idiotic character Salib whatever his name is. Also, I am sick of the way Bruenor talks! I had to reread sentences a few times to figure out what th ...more
Wanda
I will never be a super-fan of this series, but I can still certainly appreciate its appeal. I will try very hard not to complain about character names—many of them, I find completely ridiculous and sometimes even distracting. I mean, who wants an imaginary Halfling in their head who looks like Regis Philbin with furry feet?

There’s plenty of good action in this installment, several lost-and-found characters, plus incredible imaginary beasts. Positive from my point of view is Cattie-Brie getting
Zachlopez
Apr 30, 2009 rated it did not like it
now, I've a weak spot in my heart for fantasy novels. I know that they don't have to be masterful works of modern literature. I know what they do and totally digg it.

This book ( and the entire drizzt series/ stories) is one of the worst books I've read since "bridge to teribithia 3". The characters are horribly cliched...even in a cliched world. They have almost no flaws save for their brooding, whining 'woe as me' thought process. Reading ( later skipping) excerpts of a protagonists diary that
Alex
Apr 03, 2012 rated it really liked it
What stands out most in this final part of the Icewind Dale trilogy, is the lengths and strengths the main "good" characters go in order to save or avenge their love ones. A mother lifting a wagon to save her baby would not be out a place in the book.

The action scenes and the ending tension are still top notch. Grabbing the reader and not letting go. Because the book is one action scene after another, is hard to put it down once you start reading.

From sea to desert to urban environment to Hell i
Gregory
Apr 06, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was the conclusion of the Icewind Dale trilogy and it was a real questing book. Lots of intermediary quests to reach the ultimate quest - saving Regis. The one part of this that I found confusing was the sort of quick conclusion of taking back Bruenor's ancestral home. This final battle was put into an epilogue. There was more story here that I wish were played out but I guess there was a limit by either the publisher or the author on how much tale to tell. All in all, a very fine trilogy.
Greg Strandberg
Apr 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fantasy trilogy lovers
Shelves: favorites, fantasy
I first read this in the summer before 8th grade. I sat outside on my mom's chair in the shade under the trees and read almost all of it in one day. I finished off the rest of it the next day and got into a good habit of completing Salvatore books quickly.

This is one of my favorite fantasy series and I like to read it again every few years. Check it out!
DemetraP
May 08, 2018 rated it liked it
I don't like Regis. He's a thief and lazy.
Esma Tezgi
Oct 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
Buzyeli Vadisi serisi de bitmiş oldu böylece ve güzel de bitti. Seriyi yorumlarken sık sık dediğim gibi yazar hep bu türe ait ögelerden, daha önce bir çok kez karşılaştığımız ögelerden yararlanıyor ancak bunu öyle güzel yapıyor ki klişelerde boğulan bir seri değil de klasikleşmeyi hak eden bir seri okuduğunuz hissini veriyor. Özellikle de karakterleri iyi ve tutarlı bir biçimde kurgulayıp bunu okura da yansıtarak seriyi karakterlerle güçlendiriyor ve hikayeyi de güzel kurgulayınca ortaya çıkan ...more
Michael
Mar 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
See review on The Crystal Shard - Icewind Dale 1, Drizzt 6.

This one is near and dear to me because it introduces Artemis Entreri, the human assassin counterpart to Drizzt himself. Just Google Artemis, he's so good. One of the best in the series.
David
Oct 11, 2016 added it
Shelves: fantasy
This trilogy, which concludes here, is truly not as good as the prequel trilogy, Dark Elf, but it still has things to offer. Here, Drizzt is still the central character, but he settles nicely at the same time into an ensemble. It is an epic fantasy ensemble that rivals that of Dragonlance Chronicles with it's iconic and diverse group and amazingly epic tale of deep friendship. While Drizzt is an interesting character because he subverts normal fantasy hero roles, the others are solid, but are mu ...more
Shan
Sep 05, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
This third installment was even better than the last one, but still not amazing. I think I finally figured out the elements that drive me insane and prevent me from truly enjoying the story:

- The metaphors need to die in the fire of thousand angry suns. I kept reading about lavender lights, round orbs and glimmering reflections and I wanted to shoot myself. I understand it's the traditional high-fantasy style of writing but I guess I've been spoiled to enjoy such things.

- The characters are very
Earl Grey Tea
Jun 19, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy
I think I've reached the end of my adventure in D&D literature (outside of the instruction manuals). As some of my D&D buddies would describe R.A. Salvatore's work, it's just fan fiction, nothing great, but nothing particularly terrible either.

After getting through six of these books, I would have to say my vocabulary concerning the Forgotten Realms has increased somewhat and I've been able to follow some of our adventures a little bit better since I have some more familiarity with the s
Nicolas
Oct 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. It was an easy read and a great story that really got your mind engaged in the scenes Salvatore weaved. Picking up right where the last left off it throws you right in to Drizzt's chase of the assassin who has kidnapped his friend, Regis the halfling. The search will take Drizzt to a home of wizards, to a city in the south of wererats and assassins and thieves, and eventually, his search will even lead him into the realm of Hades. Meanwhile, something rises from the bottom of ...more
Tedric
Jan 12, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Product Description

Join Drizzt Do'Urden, the world's most famous drow elf, on his adventures in the Forgotten Realms!

About the Author

R.A. Salvatore has spent so many years winding himself into fantasy worlds tha

Sean McBride
Aug 09, 2017 rated it liked it
This was a gradual improvement form the previous in the series, though the ending leaves a little to be desired. The writing is more sound and the plotting is better (there are fewer "Random Encounters" in this one, which is one of my biggest problems with the previous two books), but it is still obvious that this is young writing. The second half of the book is far stronger however, so to me this is about Salvatore figuring out how to plot out his books. The reason is because the last quarter o ...more
Roxana Chirilă
Mar 14, 2016 rated it liked it
Note: once you get bitten by a wererat, you are no longer human (precisely), nor a person, and thus can be shot down without remorse. At least, that's what I gathered when I read about Catti-Brie shooting down a human and feeling horribly sorry, but saw her killing wererats left and right without batting an eyelash.

Oh, well. Note to self: never get bitten by a wererat, and never become a gray dwarf.

Drizzt's monologues at the beginning of each part of the book are so out of character and naive t
Branwen Sedai *of the White Ajah*
In this last installment of the Icewind Dale Trilogy, Drizzt and his friends race across the realm to try and recover their friend Regis from the clutches of the evil assasin, Artemis Enteri.

I didn't think it possible, but Salvatore is writing better and more detailed fight scenes with each new book in his Drizzt series! And truly, this is the strength of these stories; his descriptive and action packed fight scenes. And despite the fact that Catti-brie and Wulfgar are maried by the end of this
David
Feb 21, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Overall Rating:4/5

I enjoyed this book quite a lot! The things that had annoyed me about The Crystal Shard and Streams of Silver were not nearly as apparent in this book, which made it far more enjoyable. Salvatore definitely shows a lot of improvement in his writing.

A fast pace and numerous fight scenes made this a quick read. There isn't much character depth, and some of the characters are easily swayed by flimsy arguments, but what else do you expect from one of these books?

I would've given th
Madison Mega-Mara...: The Halfling's Gem 1 5 Mar 11, 2012 09:35PM
  • Tangled Webs (Starlight & Shadows #2)
  • Condemnation (Forgotten Realms: War of the Spider Queen, #3)
  • Shadowdale (Forgotten Realms: Avatar #1)
  • Black Wizards (Forgotten Realms: The Moonshae Trilogy, #2)
  • Crucible: The Trial of Cyric the Mad (Forgotten Realms: Avatar, #5)
  • Song Of The Saurials (Forgotten Realms: Finder's Stone, #3)
  • Prince of Lies (Forgotten Realms: Avatar, #4)
  • Insurrection (Forgotten Realms: War of the Spider Queen, #2)
  • Resurrection (Forgotten Realms:  War of the Spider Queen, #6)
  • Extinction (Forgotten Realms: War of the Spider Queen, #4)
  • Dissolution (Forgotten Realms: War of the Spider Queen, #1)
As one of the fantasy genre’s most successful authors, R.A. Salvatore enjoys an ever-expanding and tremendously loyal following. His books regularly appear on The New York Times best-seller lists and have sold more than 10,000,000 copies. Salvatore’s original hardcover, The Two Swords, Book III of The Hunter’s Blade Trilogy (October 2004) debuted at # 1 on The Wall Street Journal best-seller list ...more

The Icewind Dale Trilogy (3 books)
  • The Crystal Shard (Forgotten Realms: Icewind Dale, #1; Legend of Drizzt, #4)
  • Streams of Silver (Forgotten Realms: Icewind Dale, #2; Legend of Drizzt, #5)
“Luck?" Drizzt replied. "Perhaps. But more often, I dare to say, luck is simply the advantage a true warrior gains in excuting the correct course of action.” 99 likes
“He looked down at the mask hanging around his neck. So simple a lie, and he could walk freely throughout the world.
But would he then be trapped within the web of his own deception? What freedom could he find in denying the truth about himself?”
9 likes