Start by marking “Dragonlance Chronicles (Dragonlance #1-3)” as Want to Read:
Dragonlance Chronicles (Dragonlance #1-3)

Dragonlance Chronicles

(Dragonlance: Chronicles #1-3)

More than three million readers have witnessed the return of the dragons...And now the books that began the best-selling 'dragonlance' saga are collected in their entirety in this special edition, along with all of the artwork from the trilogy. This splendid collector's edition is a must for the millions of readers who fell in love with the fantasy world of Krynn.
Published March 1st 1988 by TSR (first published September 1st 1985)

To ask other readers questions about Dragonlance Chronicles, please sign up.
Jeff The writing level isn't particularly high; probably suitable for a Jr High level reader. If they can understand everything in Harry Potter, they…moreThe writing level isn't particularly high; probably suitable for a Jr High level reader. If they can understand everything in Harry Potter, they should be able to understand the plot of this story.
This isn't a YA book. The characters are adults, they are involved in a world spanning war, and people die. It isn't particularly gruesome, but it isn't as cutesy as HP. Its a little more Lord of the Rings, sword and sorcery style fantasy.(less)

StoryTellerShannon
CONCEPT: A group of adventurers are chosen to help drive back the Evil from another world led by the Dark Queen.

MARKETING APPEAL: The DRAGONLANCE chronicles had the whole AD&D industry behind them; TSR used this tale as a marketing ploy, using their fans and game designers (to set up the world); then, they took some above average writers to do the first trilogy; Set up in a typical AD&D adventure (rag tag group of mixed adventurers off to save the world with promise of great magic, great
Mei
Jan 31, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I have to give these five stars because my love of fantasy stems from my stumbling onto these, and reading them, as a teenager. No mean feat given I grew up in a small town in Malaysia!

I have read, and reread, these books many, many times, for comfort, for memory's sake, for any number of reasons. I have not read them in recent years, and I have to confess that I am loathe to do so, because you can never go back, but they deserve 5 stars just for the warm memories I have of them, and how they m
David Beavers
Feb 01, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fantasy geeks
This review isn't for the special edition (which I didn't know existed) per se, it's just a convenient way to review all 3 of the books in this series . . . this marvelous series, which I read when I was probably 15 or 16, and which is a really wonderful piece of fantasy storytelling. If you like that sort of thing, I can't recommend Margret Weiss and Tracy Hickman's work enough: they're brilliant storytellers, and they invest the Dragonlance fantasy world with a darkness, wit, and gravity that' ...more
A. Dawes
Apr 19, 2016 rated it liked it
Read this trilogy when I was 13 and really enjoyed it at the time - not as much as Stephen Donaldson or Terry Brooks or even Weis & Hickman's other series: The Rose of the Prophet, and The Darksword Trilogy. Having said that, I liked it a lot more than Eddings's series.

The Dragonlance Chronicles suit those after a Tolkienesque world but one more accessible like Terry Brooks'. I'd recommend the trilogy for fantasy lovers and D& D fans and also young adult readers. I'm glad that the trilo
Brad
This review was written in the late nineties (just for myself), and it was buried in amongst my things until today, when I uncovered the journal it was written in. I have transcribed it verbatim from all those years ago (although square brackets indicate some additional information for the sake of readability). It is one of my lost reviews.

An epic fantasy of Tolkien-like scope?! Sounds good for a novel's back cover, doesn't it? But it is almost true with the Dragonlance Chronicles. Almost.

The k
Bryan
Jul 15, 2013 rated it it was ok
I tried reading these once when I was younger and never finished them. They show up on lists of great fantasy series all the time, though, so I tried again. I made it through them this time, but barely: they are really not good.

The writers use as their framework the "alignment" concept from the Dungeons and Dragons manual: the tic tac toe grid of lawful / neutral / chaotic and good / neutral / evil. Each character inhabits one of the boxes in that grid, and that is the extent of their characteri
Monsour
Apr 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Raistlin: Hope is the denial of reality. It is the carrot dangled before the draft horse to keep him plodding along in a vain attempt to reach it.

Tannis: Are you saying we shouldn't hope?

Raistlin: I'm saying we should remove the carrot and walk forward with our eyes open..T_T

Yup...yup. Best conversation of characters in a high fantasy setting.EVER!!
The best fantasy book series i've ever read.
Mike (the Paladin)
Dec 14, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
I actually came across these books seeking something to interest my son in reading. He had up to that point been uninterested in books and we're a familly of readers. I was concerned.

But, using the wisdom of all good parents (get him something that is totally without merit and has no educational value) I introduced him to the Dragon Lance books (I'd discovered Dungeons and Dragons in 1978) and since I got them for my son I read them to.

Ever played D&D? These are pretty much the same experien
Stefan Yates
Classic literature means different things to different people. While the Dragonlance Chronicles will most probably never be considered in the canon of classic literature, it has an important place in molding how we perceive the genre of fantasy today. Tolkien will always reign supreme as the father of modern fantasy. His works set the standards for much of what was to follow in the genre and they managed to break the barrier between fantasy and classic literature. What Dragonlance did for the ge ...more
St-Michel
Jan 12, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2007, own
OH GOD!!! This thing sucked!!!!

Ok, now understanding the background behind this book, I have to relax on certain qualms - the main one being how it reads like a RPG transcript, basically because it IS an RPG transcript. So, that's fine, and personally, Hickman and Weis did a bang-up job of presenting it as such.

SPOILER!!
Now, that aside, I think the book started great and through most of the first book, was pretty good, until people starting dying. This is where I started becoming so angry that I
Efaki
Jul 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
My first-look impression of this enormous trilogy, when presented to me by a friend, was exactly this :

^"What the f...? How am I supposed to read all this!!!"...^

And then it began.

At first, I have to say, I lived the experience of AD&D myself. Reading something that some other DM has written was kinda strange for me. The reason was that I didn't feel that it would be the same reading someone else's story, I 'd much rather live it through my DM. But then I started read
Jason
Jun 25, 2009 rated it really liked it
Okay, let's start by clarifying that these books are not literature, even though there's a whole generation of Xers (Gen-Xers) who would claim otherwise because many of them were coming of age reading these novels.

I owned my copies from the time I was about 22, but never read them all the way through until I was closer to 35. They came off as pulpy, silly, cheap and badly written in many ways. The characters were beyond even decent graphic novel caliber in their exaggerated, stereotyped behavior
Wallace
Oct 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
I read this book, technically three books, when I was about 12 years old. It was the first 1,000 page+ book I ever read, and I adored it. I wept when one of the characters died. I gasped when a plot twist was revealed. I was, as you may guess, the target audience. I don't know how well the book would stand up today. It is certainly better than a lot of the fantasy books I've read. Raistlin is a wonderful character. The growth of the mage over the three books was terrific. You were watching him g ...more
Cassie Shook
Jan 03, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This is a book my brother gave me when we were kids, and I found it recently on a bookshelf at my parents house. I was looking for a totally fantastical fantasy story, so I decided to read it again.

I LOVE IT. If you're looking for a book to read that takes you completely out of the current reality (and you love reading about Elves and Dragons and Dwarfs etc), read this. I've been working on it as my bedtime reading for a month or so now, and more than once have I ended up staying up til 4 or 5
Simon
Apr 16, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
When I was 13 and I read this, it blew me away. I loved every minute of it. Despite these fond memories, that does not prevent me from recognising that this was deeply formulaic fantasy trash that unashamedly revelled in rehashing all the well worn cliches of the genre. Hence my three star rating. My rating at the age of 13 would have been five stars. If I had read it for the first time now, I would probably have given it one star.
Uve
Jan 05, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
El retorno de los dragones me costó un poco al principio meterme en otro mundo de fantasia pero una vez conoces a los personajes me enganchó muhisimo. La tumba de Huma fue alucinante un 5 para él. El desenlace me dejó totalmente descolocada... que ayer despues de una noche d lectura todavia no habia asimilado... vamos que pasan cosas que no esperaba para nada y eso siempre es bienvenido.
Tanis Half-Blacky
Once you start with this magnificent Trilogy, you will want more and more! The epic novels by Weis and Hickman provide the readers with stories about friendship, love, war, and how different races struggle together for survival. I really recommend readers to start with the Chronicles and find out the great world behind its pages. Enjoy :)
Henrik
Dec 20, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
It hasn't aged well. Far from as good as I thought in my younger days but still, here and there there are some noteworthy scenes. The scenes of loss are particularly well written, in my opinion. In the end 3 stars, in part because of nostalgia.
Kayla Cruz
Aug 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
4.5

Laurana is my book wife.
Fantasy Literature
Mar 26, 2015 rated it liked it
Dragons of Autumn Twilight, a classic work of high fantasy, marks the beginning of a remarkable 6-book tale (the CHRONICLES Trilogy, followed by the even more magnificent LEGENDS Trilogy), which greatly increased the interest in the Dungeons & Dragons game throughout the 1980's. It certainly does contain more than a few stock fantasy elements (e.g. dragons, elves, dwarves, an unlikely group of friends somehow being chosen to stop the conquest of Evil...). However, the straightforward, simple ...more
Kyle
I am certainly biased. These were not just the first fantasy books I ever read. But the first books ever. These characters are a part of my childhood and I will always compare likable villains to Raistlin or comic relief to Tasselhoff. These books gave me a love for writing and creating other worlds.
The one aspect of the novels that I didn't care for, and which I would try to avoid in my own writings is the reveal that what is going to take place has been fated and it is known by characters tha
Tim
Mar 20, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Fans of speculative fiction/ young readers
Like many of the other reviewers of this series, my high ranking on it is based upon my reading it as a teenager. I had read Tolkien at that point, and was fascinated by this trilogy. I read it periodically for about 3 years and enjoyed it, but I do recall becoming somewhat disenchanted with the writing by the time I got back from a year at college.

Still, the characters hold a warm place in my heart, and I think the trilogy is substantially better than other derivative works in the genre. The s
Jessica Cartwright
Jul 18, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dnf
DNF - I don't know why I didn't finish this book because what I had read so far was actually pretty good. I think it might have been that the book was huge and it felt like it was taking ages to get through a few pages and I have also been hit by a book slump from out of nowhere so that wouldn't have helped either. I will pick up this book again at some point and try to finish it.
Jason Haverfield
For me this is where fantasy started, in grade school when a friend introduced me to these books. Before I ever got into LOTR and JRR Tolkien it was the Dragonlance Chronicles. Weiss and Hickman always take me back with such great memories of first discovering the world of fantasy in books. I will always be grateful for that.
Eric
Nov 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing
What a fantastically written world to escape to as a teenager. These books will always have a special hold on my heart. The characters are very dynamic and their journey is in the wonderful, classical vein of Tolkien. I'm rereading them now and the nostalgia has not been dampened.
Robert Gobel
Aug 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
These are the books that started my addiction to fantasy novels. I have read them at least ten times and would read them again in a heartbeat.
Wendy
Mar 09, 2009 rated it it was amazing
This is the series that started me on Fantasy - well, that is... after Lord of the Rings (of course!!!)
Brad
Jan 02, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, favorites
This is my "Lord of the Rings."
Kuro_no
Jan 28, 2015 rated it liked it
This was TSR's attempt to sell as many DnD products as it could by promoting their(then) newest setting Dragonlance. It is an attempt aimed mostly at RPG players and fantasy geeks by giving them a DnD adventure that the writers have written and played in Tolkien-like fashion.

How can someone see this in these books? By the way it's presented and the amount of stereotypes and cliches that prevail in this kind of fantasy settings.

And is it indeed full of these stereotypes but does it have the usual
Anthony
Jun 02, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: dragons
Wasn't a bad series. Personally didn't feel as drawn to the characters/story as I have been in other similar series.
  • Atlas of the Dragonlance World (Dragonlance Books)
  • The Golden Orb (Dragonlance: Icewall, #2)
  • Chosen of the Gods (Dragonlance: Kingpriest, #1)
  • Dragonlance: Adventures (Advanced Dungeons & Dragons 1st Edition, Stock #2021)
  • Tides of Blood (Dragonlance: The Minotaur Wars, #2)
  • Firstborn (Dragonlance:  Elven Nations, #1)
  • Galen Beknighted (Dragonlance: Heroes, #6, Heroes II, #3)
  • Flint the King (Dragonlance: Preludes, #5; Preludes II, #2)
  • City of the Lost (Dragonlance: Linsha, #1)
  • Betrayal (Dragonlance: Dhamon Saga, #2)
  • Sanctuary (Dragonlance: Elven Exiles, #1)
  • Dalamar the Dark (Dragonlance: Classics, #2)
Fantasy novelist who, along with Tracy Hickman, was one of the original creators of the Dragonlance game world. I've written numerous novels and short stories set in the world of Krynn, as well as series in other, original worlds. These include: Darksword, Rose of the Prophet, Star of the Guardians, DeathGate, Dragonvarld, Sovereign Stone, Dragonships, and the Dragon Brigade. I also wrote two para ...more

Dragonlance: Chronicles (3 books)
  • Dragons of Autumn Twilight  (Dragonlance: Chronicles, #1)
  • Dragons of Winter Night (Dragonlance: Chronicles, #2)
  • Dragons of Spring Dawning (Dragonlance: Chronicles, #3)