Start by marking “Dragons of Spring Dawning (Dragonlance: Chronicles, #3)” as Want to Read:
Dragons of Spring Dawning (Dragonlance: Chronicles, #3)

Dragons of Spring Dawning

(Dragonlance Universe #3)

Finally armed with dragonlances, a group of heroes, composed of a knight, barbarian, dwarf, and half-elf, faces a deadly showdown with the evil dragons and Takhisis, the Queen of Darkness.
Published September 1st 2003 by Wizards of the Coast (first published September 12th 1985)

To ask other readers questions about Dragons of Spring Dawning, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dragons of Spring Dawning

Start your review of Dragons of Spring Dawning (Dragonlance: Chronicles, #3)
Mayim de Vries
Dec 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
“They don’t want to hear about darkness and death. They want children’s tales about love and rebirth and silver dragons.
Don’t we all.”

If what you are after is an uplifting children’s tale about love and rebirth and dragons (of many colours) then you have come to the right place. Dragons of Spring Dawning concludes the Dragonlance Chronicles in a classic confrontation of good and evil, bravery and selfless sacrifice, and, naturally, love. Oh, and dragons, a minor detail that.

I will admit: my memo
Markus
Apr 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
Dragonqueen she was called in elven; Nilat the Corrupter, to the barbarians of the Plains; Tamex, the False Metal, so she was known in Thorbardin among the dwarves; Mai-tat, She of Many Faces was how they told of her in legends among the sea-faring people of Ergoth. Queen of Many Colors and of None, the Knights of Solamnia called her; defeated by Huma, banished from the land, long ago.
Takhisis, Queen of Darkness, had returned.

A disastrous defeat has all but destroyed the free nations of Krynn, a
Kaora
Apr 10, 2014 rated it it was ok
The last two were okay. The writing in this series isn't amazing. It is repetitive and the characters are rather flat. The reluctant leader, the dark magic user, the strong yet beautiful female lead, the fiesty barmaid and her brooding warrior are all rather clique.

The redeeming factor in the last two books were the story lines and the bits of humor thrown in.

However, I felt like this one was missing some of the humor, and I quickly got over (view spoiler)
MissBecka Gee
This book makes me cry.
Every. Single. Time.
Brad
I've read this so many times now, but my youngest is eight and I wanted to read it to her, and her thirteen year old siblings were down for listening to the series again, so I thrilled in the chance to read it all aloud once again. It took a while to finish the Chronicles this time, but we got there right at the death of 2017.

I am so glad we did.

Spring Dawning is nowhere near the best of the series (and I include the Chronicles in that assessment), but it does have have three things going for
Stephen
4.0 to 4.5 stars. Great end to the first Dragonlance trilogy. These books are fast paced, epic stories peopled with tons of great fantasy characters (elves, dwarves, knights, gnomes, dragons, magicians and sorcerers and even a minotaur sailor). Plus the anti-hero Raistlin is exceptionally well done. These books give you exactly what you are looking for when you pick them up and are the fantasy equivalent of "summer blockbuster movies." They are a ton of fun and will keep reading them as a fun ch ...more
Tokio Myers
Apr 18, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
“The darkness might conquer, but it could never extinguish hope. And though one candle, or many, might flicker and die, new candles would be lit from the old. Thus hope’s flame always burns, lighting the darkness until the coming of day.”

The Dragonlance Chronicles comes to an end and man was it an adventure. Dragonlance isn't the best written or unique series out there in the vast ocean of fantasy, but it's one that makes you smile with predictable story lines and tropes that sometimes make your
Ray
Jan 30, 2021 rated it it was ok
I really do get the appeal of this series, especially within the framework of its time. The epic nature of the tale, the world of D&D brought to life, the stewpot of fantasy tropes are all there. Ultimately, however, the writing itself falls down for me. It is often confusing to follow, a lot of the most dramatic moments happen off-screen (partly due to the fact that they were the subject of gaming modules), a good deal of the ideas are a pastiche of Tolkien, and the characters take a long time ...more
Brad
Mar 26, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, to-my-kids
Of the original Dragonlance trilogy, Dragons of Spring Dawning is not my favourite. Even so, it contains some excellent moments while serving as both a pseudo ending to the War of the Lance and a fine introduction to the Legends series.

Perhaps it is Dragons of Spring Dawning's transitional position that makes it impossible for it to be the best of the three. There is a real sense in Dragons of Spring Dawning that we are not speeding towards a resolution of the War but a shift in hostilities from
Oliviu Crâznic
Apr 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
„Foe after foe fell to Raistlin.”

Everything is falling apart for the Heroes of the Lance in this last volume.
Sturm is dead and, unlike other characters of other stories, he stays dead; Flint is about to die and, unlike other characters of other stories, he is not to be saved; Kitiara is a betrayer and, unlike other characters in other stories, she stays a betrayer; and now Raistlin is willingly changing his red robe with a black one, leaving his brother and his friends to die a gruesome death by
Frank
Feb 25, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
No spoilers.
This dark third entry and conclusion of the Dragonlance Chronicles is very character driven, with no real major battles of the armies or dragons from the previous entry.
Here there is much betrayal, treacherous doings. we see weakness and frailty in our characters, amd some new ones along the way. Really enjoyed Fizban.
Each (Raistlin, Tasselehoff, Tanis, Laurana) of them grow into different people by the end of the book, realizing and asserting their true identities.
Of course there
Ralph Pulner
Jan 10, 2021 rated it it was amazing
This is one of those rare books where I become entirely invested in these characters. I share in their hurts, their burdens, their loves and their triumphs. I even fall under the spell of the villains, major and minor. The two bit characters and the intervening Gods. A great end to a great trilogy. May Reorx watch over you, friend.
Leona
Jul 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
This one took me longer to read and dragged more than the first two books but nonetheless it was an entertaining read. The whole series was a nice light reading break after all that serious grimdark.

The adventures are quite good and the companions splitting up and going on different adventures is fun to read. Kitiara is a compelling character, my personal hate for her notwithstanding. She is quite well written and not one-dimensional like most others. Fizban is my other favorite here and the sur
Jim C
May 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is the third book of a trilogy and this series must be read in order. This one picks up right where we left off in the second book. In this one, our group of companions are mourning their loss of one of their friends and things are rough. Tanis has been gone for several days while the rest of the group are hiding out as they are on the run.

I have read this trilogy several times and my rating here is basically based on the nostalgia factor. This was my introduction into the fantasy genre and
Cheryl Landmark
Oct 25, 2011 rated it really liked it
This was quite a satisfactory ending to the trilogy--although I suppose it's not really an ending since it appears to be a prelude to another series after this one. Nevertheless, the tale of the diverse group of companions fighting against the Dark Queen and her evil dragons was wrapped up relatively neatly, although I found the ending a bit rushed.

I didn't like Tanis quite as much in this book as I did in the first two. He seemed too full of anger and guilt and allowed the darkness in him to ov
Joseph
May 07, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Again, four stars, at least a fraction of which are nostalgia-based. But for all that, once I started reading it required effort to stop. This was the book about which I remembered the least when I picked it up, but it came flooding back quickly enough -- Tanis, torn between the Good Girl and the Bad Girl, Caramon, torn between the Good Barmaid and the Sickly Brother, Raistlin, torn between Power and More Power ... And, of course, Tasslehoff and Flint and the rest. I'd forgotten how dark things ...more
✨ Gramy ✨
Oct 15, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is definitely a worthwhile, fantasy, adventure that I enjoyed very much.

Would recommend!
Juan Eduardo Castellon
Nice ending. Great series. Fizban rules.
Malum
Apr 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, games
The slowest volume of the trilogy. Still, it is probably the most emotionally charged of the three books and everything is wrapped up well enough.
Allison ☾
Nov 03, 2018 rated it liked it
What if it does end in darkness, Tanis wondered for the first time. What will become of the world? What will become of those I'm leaving behind?

Thus hope's flame always burns, lighting the darkness until the coming of day.

The first 1/3 of this book was dragging on and on for me. The charm and clever wit was pushed to the side. I felt imp
Jenny
Jan 21, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
This is a good conclusion to the companions' journey together. I didn't want it to end. My brother-in-law told me that many people love the world of Krynn, that it's a fantasy world many people feel attached to. I understand why. I would definitely read more books about Krynn, but I want them to be written by Weis and Hickman. They're not the best writers, but they make me connect to the characters. I love how the companions developed and changed from Dragons of Autumn Twilight to this book. The ...more
Rick
I started this series because some friends told me that they loved it more than The Lord of the Rings. That seemed like a fairly worth while recommendation. I was certainly surprised to discover that this not even in the same league as Tolkien. They did say that it starts out a little rough, but once you get into it the story really takes off. Well, after finishing the book I kept wondering when it was going to get better.

After finishing it I decided that I needed to re-examined all the recomme
Josh
Mar 16, 2019 rated it it was ok
I really wanted to like this series. I really did. But the writing and the plot just can’t hold up to the standard that the great epic fantasies have. Maybe it’s a sign of when it was written, and maybe you had to read this at a certain age or certain time. But it just doesn’t hold up today. I would call this popcorn fantasy. If compared to the cinema world, this is a B-movie released direct to home video. There’s just something lacking in pretty much every aspect all around: The depth of the ch ...more
JF
Jan 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, dragonlance
I found that some parts of the story were a little long sometimes(more than with the two previous volumes). Satisfying and very intriguing conclusion for the trilogy. As we all know(right?) the world of Dragonlance(D&D in general) is complex and vast and it really seems like this Chronicles conclusion also serves as a prelude to the Legends trilogy.

So, not always a passionating read, might be a little dull sometimes, but not enough so I wouldn't pick up the book to continue my reading.
Colin
Oct 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Still enjoying re-reading this series. I'm not so into the Mormon subtext that pervades the Dragonlance books (not a slam against Mormonism itself, mind you, just seems weird in a fantasy series). Since I first read Dragonlance books back in the 80s, I always identified with Raistlin Majere. Not quite as much in my old age, but it's interesting to re-read and see why I loved the character so much . . . ...more
Jackie
Sep 03, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy
Oh, boy. My thoughts on this book are so complicated. I finished it a week ago and it has taken me until now to sort them out and write this review. Initially, as I was listening this audiobook, I was enthralled. I was on the edge of my seat. It was amazing. I finished it and was satisfied. Initially.

The more I think about it, the more I struggle with this initial impression with the book. This book, along with the series as a whole, has a lot of holes. You could argue a couple points here. Firs
Jason
Feb 24, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-long-ago
The Dragonlance series was a love of mine as a young teenager. They are one of the main reasons that I love fantasy so much today. These are the perfect young adult fantasy novels that are very well geared towards boys...

I loved them..
Andrew
Jan 02, 2015 rated it it was ok
The series wasn't bad. The first book was great! The second book was very good in parts, and in some parts not. This book was not very good in most parts and okay in others.

How could this series be better? Thanks for asking! Remove Tanis.
Zoran Krušvar
Aug 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Look, these books aren't really THAT good, but I love them. So I'll give them a bunch of stars and that's it :-p ...more
Tabitha
Sep 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This review is also featured on Behind the Pages: Dragons of Spring Dawning

Takhisis gathers her armies at Neraka, ready to march on the rest of Krynn and burn it to the ground. The companions armed with both Dragonlances and Dragons Orbs race to put an end to Takhisis’s armies. But along the way, they will have a hard road to follow. One that will divide them and cause them to make difficult choices. Can the companions survive what awaits them?

The companions must venture from one challenge to an
Fantasy Buddy Reads: Dragons of Spring Dawning [Feb 10, 2018] 40 43 Feb 18, 2018 01:54PM
http://guidemesupplements.com/garcinia-shaping-pro/ 1 4 Apr 20, 2017 02:37AM
The Art of Gutter Cleaning 1 5 Apr 19, 2017 02:02AM

• The Legend of Huma (Dragonlance: Heroes, #1)
  • Brothers Majere (Dragonlance: Preludes, #3)
  • Kindred Spirits (Dragonlance: Meetings Sextet, #1)
  • Kendermore (Dragonlance: Preludes, #2)
  • Kaz the Minotaur (Dragonlance: Heroes, #4; Heroes II, #1)
  • Wanderlust (Dragonlance: Meetings Sextet, #2)
  • Breaking: After the Thaw (The Thaw Chronicles, #2)
  • Weasel's Luck (Dragonlance: Heroes, #3)
  • The Oath and the Measure (Dragonlance: Meetings Sextet, #4)
  • Brainwalker
  • The Crystal Shard (Forgotten Realms: Icewind Dale, #1; Legend of Drizzt, #4)
  • Darkness and Light (Dragonlance: Preludes, #1)
  • Exile (Forgotten Realms: The Dark Elf Trilogy, #2; Legend of Drizzt, #2)
  • Homeland (Forgotten Realms: The Dark Elf Trilogy, #1; Legend of Drizzt, #1)
  • Earthdom (Ether Collapse, #3)
  • Dark Heart (Dragonlance: Meetings Sextet, #3)
  • Steel and Stone (Dragonlance: Meetings Sextet, #5)
  • Stormblade (Dragonlance: Heroes, #2)
Fantasy novelist who, along with Tracy Hickman, was one of the original creators of the Dragonlance game world. I've written numerous novels and short stories set in the world of Krynn, as well as series in other, original worlds. These include: Darksword, Rose of the Prophet, Star of the Guardians, DeathGate, Dragonvarld, Sovereign Stone, Dragonships, and the Dragon Brigade. I also wrote two para ...more

Dragonlance Universe (1 - 10 of 230 books)
  • Dragons of Autumn Twilight  (Dragonlance: Chronicles, #1)
  • Dragons of Winter Night (Dragonlance: Chronicles, #2)
  • Time of the Twins (Dragonlance: Legends, #1)
  • War of the Twins (Dragonlance: Legends, #2)
  • Test of the Twins (Dragonlance: Legends, #3)
  • The War of the Lance (DragonLance: Tales II, #3)
  • Dragons of a Fallen Sun (Dragonlance: The War of Souls, #1)
  • The Second Generation (Dragonlance: The Second Generation, #1)
  • Leaves from the Inn of the Last Home (Dragonlance: Leaves from the Inn of the Last Home, #1)
  • Dragons of the Dwarven Depths (Dragonlance: The Lost Chronicles, #1)

News & Interviews

“Why you decrepit old mage! You couldn't turn water into ice in the dead of winter!” 15 likes
“Interesting." Raistlin coughed the word.
Tanis glanced at him sharply. "What is interesting?"
"I've never heard you lie before, Half-Elf," Raistlin said softly. " I find it...quite...fascinating.”
11 likes